[Outside of Ponyville] Shining Berry Fields (Closed)

Kudalyn

Strawberry Fields

A peach-coated pony opened a dusty window, coughing as a pile of dust cascaded from the shutters right on top of her. She shook her mane out, dust and cobwebs flying everywhere. She looked around her new house as the sunlight filtered in through the grimy window, lighting up all the dust particles in the air.

Strawberry Fields sighed, coughing again as she inhaled a bunch of dust. She trotted around, opening windows wherever she saw them, glad to get some nice spring air though the dusty, dingy old house. Strawberry had just moved into her new home: Shining Berry Fields. She inherited the berry farm from her grandfather who passed away when she was a foal, so the house had been inhabited for many years. Most of the old furniture was still here, it just needed some intense 'spring cleaning'.

She walked out the front door, propping it open so that more air could blow the dust and damp from the old house. She looked around her new farm.... she certainly had alot of work to do.

After years of neglect, most of the berry plants were either dead or growing wild. Weeds were everywhere, fences were broken, and don't even get her started on the barn! It looked like a tornado had hit it! She'd probably have to tear it down and get a whole new one set up if she wanted somewhere to store her supplies.

"Well, no time like the present, I reckon." She said to herself, bracing herself for weeks of hard work. She knew she could do it though - even though her father's farm was a hay farm, she still did lots of hard work there growing up. She knew how to handle a farm.

She trotted down the main path, kicking rocks out of the way as she walked to the main gate. It was completely overgrown with creepers. She got up on her hind legs and kicked and pulled at them, finally managing to clear a opening through them. She pulled down as much as she could, kicking the clumps onto the path so they would wither and die. Pulling them down, she revealed a little fence archway, with a worn-down sign posted at the top. From what she could make out, it was a big strawberry with a few leaves surrounding it, with a big sun backdrop.

Strawberry smiled. "Shining Berry Fields. Grandpappy gave it the right name!"

Down the path, a pale-greenish pelted pony strolls ever closer, some manner of blanket or binding around its middle. Step after calm step, the stallion moves closer. Swift Breeze paused for a step, noting the filly at the gate up ahead, and noting Ponyville in the distance. "Hm..." Continuing along with his leisurely canter, Swift gave a respectful bow of his head in greeting as he got closer, wings shifting a bit beneath their bindings. "A fine day," comments the odd stallion in a calm voice as he got closer to Strawberry Fields.

Strawberry Fields

Strawberry jumped and eeped as a calm voice spoke up from behind her, dropping her mouthful of creepers.

"Oh! O-oh my! You startled me! I-I didn't even hear you trot up..." She stammered embarassedly, looking around herself. She had only just gotten started on the cleanup of her farm - there were weeds everywhere, the paths were overgrown, and she probably looked like she rolled around in a dustpile somewhere.

"I'm so sorry the farm looks like this - Oh my... You see, I just moved here today, and noone has lived here for quite a few years.. see, it was my Grandpappy's many years ago, and now I own it and... I'm so sorry!"

She stammered out, bowing in apology to the serene and wise looking stallion who stood before her. His mane and tail was done up in braids much like hers, but much tighter and longer. He was robed in odd clothes, so me must have been traveling from very far away.

With a soft chuckle, Swift Breeze nods. "My apologies. I can be a tad quiet at times. Didn't mean to startle you." At the mention of the state of the farm, Swift looks over at it. "Mmm... It certainly appears to be a difficult battle in front of you. Plants are like mischievous young foals... leave them to their own devices, and they can cause many headaches." He shrugs. "I am merely passing through, myself... but... would you care for some help? Many hooves make for easy work, after all."

Strawberry Fields

Strawberry started, blinking at the sudden kind offer. "O-oh! Well, I-I don't mean to make you go out of you way but... a extra set of hooves would take a load off my mind..." She said, looking back woefully at the rest of the farm. As much as she loved her new farm, it was going to take ALOT of work.

"Well, why don't you come this way? I-I just cleared the pathway a bit as you can see..." She said, looking sheepishly at the mess of creepers on the path that she had just torn down. She turned around, hiding her blush as she trotted daintly down the path. Strawberry felt awful silly. She was always so shy when it came to meeting new ponies. No matter how hard she tried, she always became so timid and apologetic around newcomers. Once she warmed up to them she was fine... but it made selling produce very difficult.

((urgh sorry - got caught up with some stuff and wasn't able to get around to me RPs!))

Bowing his head respectfully, he followed after the stammering pony. "Well, at least the hardest part is done," he comments at the creepers. "Just getting started can be a more formidable challenge than a fifty mile gallop." He looks around as he follows, taking in the overgrowth. "I am Swift Breeze. Of late, I find it fitting. Moving out of one area as swiftly as I blew in," he introduces himself with a slight smile. Idly, he wonders if he should ask a name, but eventually decides that if it's important, most likely it would come up one way or another.

He occasionally nudges a creeper out of the way as he moves along, holding off on more... vigorous removal... until he sees it properly done, and where it should be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Strawberry Fields

"Well... this is my home..." Strawberry said sheepishly as they approached her new house. She had reason to be embarrassed... The place was a wreck. Shutters were hanging off the windows by one hinge, the paint was peeling and flaking off everywhere, cobwebs and dust covered every nook and cranny. Even in the slightest breeze the house creaked from rafters to ground.

"I was looking around the inside earlier, the inside isn't as bad as it looks out here, but I'm still worried about the supports. I really don't want to have to tear down the whole thing and start again. If I have to do that to the barn that's enough work as it is, let alone having to redo my house too..." She said, looking up at her house worriedly. This house was in her mother's family for generations. She wanted to preserve as much of the original house as she could, but the house had been left abandoned for over a decade.... that really took a toll on the old house.

Letting out a hum as he looks over the house, he nods in agreement. "House fixing isn't quite my forte, but I can give it a shot. ... You might need supplies to get it fixed up, though. Paint, nails, wood, and so on. Do you have those yet?" He gives a smile. "I suppose this is its way of making you show it who the boss is, right?" He looks over at the barn. "...how about that? Checked inside it? ...or is the path to it needing more clearing first?" Rubbing his chin, he looks around some more. "...probably some tools will be needed once everything is cleaned up, but that can wait. Maybe there are tools that are still usable in the barn." He looks around. "I wonder how many days it will take."

Cherry Dawn was not a happy Pegasus.

After an arduous and somewhat frantic flight from Hoofington, she had spent the last two days sheltering in an abandoned barn while fruitlessly searching the town for a paying job. Ponyvill was a small town and most if not all part time roles were already filled by the up and coming generation. There were plenty of call for volunteers and, though it hurt to let them down, the worn out filly knew exactly where that would lead. Charity had landed her in a musty ramshackle barn, hundreds of miles from home without two bits to her name. Though the refuge she had chosen to shelter in appeared unoccupied, it was also in a terrible state of disrepair. On the very first night a rainstorm had broken over the town, thoroughly soaking the pile of freshly uprooted long grass that had served as her bedding. Moving into the hayloft had been the only sound choice though now her dry perch was somewhat precarious, given the rotten state of the floorboards.

Bright shafts of sunlight had awoken her to the crisp new morning, the dawn blessing coupled with complaints of aching flight muscles and the taste of old hay lingering in her mouth. Gingerly the Pegasus stretched out her cramped limbs, fluttering her wings to test their suitability for the short flight to the floor of the barn.

Sharp pains from her sides told her that the crumbling stairs would have to be risked again. With an irritated grumble, Cherry approached the sorry arrangement of sawdust that counted for stairs and picked her way down, testing each plank before allowing the next to take her weight. A leaking gutter on the edge of the barn had made a sort of indoor pond from the recent storm and providing the Pegasus with some much needed refreshment. Pausing for a moment Cherry observed her reflection ripple into focus. The dark pastel-red pony that stared back looked scrawny, slightly bedraggled and in need of a bath. Oddly though, her eyes didn't show the same weariness. They shone out beneath the locks of knotted mane, content and inviting to any who sought solace. Somehow, one could never be worried for a pony with eyes like that.

As it was, Cherry couldn't help but laugh out at her dishevelled state.

"Don't you look a mess." She chuckled to the reflection, shaking out her mane to relieve some of the tangles.

Stepping back from her morning drink the filly stretched out her slender wings and began preening in a shaft of wonderfully warm sunlight. Gosh it was wonderful here. With the number of farms around Ponyvill the weather patrols always made sure the sky was in tip-top condition for growing crops. High altitude Cirrus clouds caught just enough sunlight for it to be pleasantly warm while not scorching, coupled with a satisfying easterly breeze. All in all it was a wonderful day for flying.

Today would be different, she could just feel it. She'd get out into that big field and spend a bit of time easing her muscles. A quick bath in the stream that ran alongside the old farm and she'd at least look presentable for work. Ponies would always need weather and, in her experience, most were willing to tip generously for a good cloud in the right place. Settled on her course, Cherry pulled up some of the weeds from between the barn's cobbles and stepped out into the summer sun, chewing her meagre breakfast with a contented smile.

Though the morning had barely begun it was already quite bright outside. As she trotted up the path towards the farmhouse Cherry found herself squinting to avoid the worst of the glare. This probably explained why she didn't notice the farm's other visitors until she rounded a corner of thorny bushes. Though Pegasus ponies were not generally renowned for their wits, Cherry generally considered herself to be one of the brighter clouds in the sky. Presently however, she was fatigued, chased and slightly paranoid, so could be excused the quiet 'meep' as she stepped smartly sideways into the thorny bushel at the edge of the path. How had they found her this quickly? Was father really that determined to get her back? They didn't appear to have seen her. But just to be sure, the filly didn't so much as breathe, straining her hearing to catch their conversation. Tools? Cleaning?

Quick as lightning her mind ran through the scene it had briefly glimpsed. Two earth ponies, both unassuming and conspicuous, not likely candidates for 'missing ponies'. Door to the house is open, but no sign of force. It was locked and double bolted on the outside, so they must have the key. Windows open on bottom floor. Tools for repairs, clearing the paths and airing the house to which they had the key? ...Horse apples, they're the owners.

Oh well, they didn't know she'd been crashing in the barn, best to make a good imression and save the awkward questions. Who knows, she might even get to stay a while longer. Sighing inwardly, Cherry stepped carefully back onto the path and walked back into view of the new occupants.

"Good morning," She chimed, wearing her best smile "Hope I'm not interrupting? Only I assume you're opening this old place up?"

Strawberry Fields

"I haven't checked the barn yet, but from the looks of it from here it needs to be completely torn down... maybe there might be some tools hidden in there. I'm not too hopeful however - this place has been abandoned for over a decade and I'm sure some thieves have gotten in once or twice. It's a miracle the house's contents are mostly undamaged." She said, sighing as she hung her head low. Horse apples! So much work to do! All this depressing damage was really taking it's toll on her mood...

"Good morning!" A soft voice came from behind Strawberry, from around the corner of the house. She whirled around, posing defensively.

"Whoa! Who goes there? Thieves? Bandits? Berry-nappers?!" She shouted out, stamping the ground. She wasn't gonna let any old ponies walk onto her farm without her permission, no-siree!

((.. holy hay, Cherry. That is SOME intro post! Well done!))

Swift nodded. The barn did seem a bit worse for wear. He openned his mouth to reply, only to close it again at the greeting and subsequent shout. He looked at Strawberry for a moment, before turning and giving a respectful bow of his head. "And good morning to you." He sizes up the new face, then looks over to Strawberry. "It seems to be a filly. One who has probably seen sunnier days, it seems." He gives a slight smile. "...I suddenly feel glad I only met on the road," he calmly quips. He shifts slightly, in case he needs to step between the two.

To her credit, Cherry only briefly bristled at the brightly coloured earth pony's reaction. Scathing comments fraimed in her mothers welspoken voice floated into the forefront of the Filly's mind. She could practicaly hear the arragont words as the sociaterian questioned the Mare's upbringing and her remarkably poor etiquette in the treatment of guests. Such things came from life in Manehattan, you know what they say about old habits. Dismissing the cloud of distasteful thoughts, the filly paused and regained her footing, smile flickering back onto her features like a temperamental firefly. Now that she was closer, Cherry could make out that the stallion was not an earth pony as she had first thought, though it was clear to see how she could have been mistaken from a distance. A wide splint wrapped around his midsection held both of the pegasus' wings firmly against his flanks, as though they might try to fly away if released. At first she wondered if the colt had been injured, but his flight muscles were under developed too. Clearly the old boy hadn't seen the skies for many a summer.

"Begging your pardon, Ma'am." She said light heartedly, giving the pony an apologetic smile, "But there doesn't seem to be much in the way of berries to 'nap'. Though I suspect you intended to change that, if you are the new owners? Only if you are it might take more then the two of you to get this place ship shape again."

• 3 weeks later...

Strawberry Fields

Seeing that the new pony meant no harm, Strawberry blushed a deep red, going from a defensive pose to a very abashed and embarrassed one.

"S-sorry about that... Reflex. Back at my dad's farm we've had more than our fair share of thieves and trespassers, so I've gotten a bit jumpy when I hear a strange voice on my farm. Our worst incident ever was when somepony decided it would be funny to flatten strange patterns into our biggest hay field - Dad was not happy about that."

"A-anyways. I'm the new owner, name's Strawberry Fields. Funny thing too - I'm hoping to turn this old weed farm back into it's former glory. This was my grandpappy's old berry farm about 30 years ago. It's been left abandoned since he died, so it's... kinda out of shape. " She said nervously, kicking a beam of the front porch. It creaked and shuddered menacingly, but luckily didn't collapse.

"Ooooh... That wasn't a good idea. Oh! And this here is Swift Breeze - he just trotted by and offered a helping set of hooves to the farm's renovation. I really don't know how I'll be able to repay him... maybe a place to stay for a while?" She said, throwing the suggestion to the old pegasus over her shoulder.

Swift bowed his head as he was introduced. "Well, it would be most kind of you. At least until everything gets fixed." He glances over at the other pegasus, then back to Strawberry fields. "Perhaps twelve hooves would be better than eight? There is much work to be done, after all. While I would be of some help, higher places would be just as tricky, due to my temple's command for my training." He shifts his wings about beneath the blanket around his middle. Looking back to Cherry, Swift added, "...though I do not intend to volunteer somepony else if they are unwilling." He gives a calm smile, accompanied by a slightly inquisitive tilt of his head.

‘Dear diary; JACKPOT!’

Had she not been concentrating on her reactions, Cherry’s smile would have exploded right then and there.

“Well, I am in the market for work, I’d love to help out.â€Â

A twitch visibly ran across the Filly’s face as she mentally kicked herself for that additional comment. Mental exhaustion was still nipping at her faculties, allowing old habits to creep around her defences. She had to make herself available without coming across as free labour or sounding desperate. For now a roof and food would be good payment until she could rustle up some bits to head for Canterlot.

“Ahem, yes, well my name's Cherry Dawn. I usualy work as a weather mare, but there dosn't seem to be much call for that around here. If you need the help for now, bed n’ board would be fine as payment for me, at least until I can find something more solid to bring in a few bits.â€Â

Strawberry Fields

"Really? That would be great! This old house has lots of rooms that you ponies can use. Once we get everything cleared up, you can pick the room you want." She said, gingerly walking up the steps of the porch and walking through the open door. The porch looked like it needed some serious TLC, but the inside of the house was in pretty good condition. A few floorboards and some doors needed to be fixed, the windows too. New paint, wallpaper and furniture was a absolute must. The kitchen needed some real elbow grease too - the windows around it had been broken and every thing had some serious water damage.

"Come on in! Just... watch your step. Some of these floorboards need to be replaced, and I've seen some pretty big spiders in some of the corners." She said, welcoming her guests in.

"Oh, and I haven't really taken a good look around upstairs, I only went up there to open some windows and come back down. If you want, we can all take a good look around to see what's happened up there too."

Looking around, Swift Breeze tisked quietly. "Certainly quite a bit of work ahead. Perhaps a list of what needs doing in each area could be made to keep track of things and know what is needed." He steps on a loose floorboard, earning a creeeaaaak for his efforts. "At least the spiders keep insects under control."

He peeked into the kitchen for a few moments, then looked up at the ceiling. "Might as well check upstairs. Perhaps the attic as well. Most likely some shingles will be needed for the roof at some point." He starts heading for the stairs, wondering what surprises await.

Stepping into the half gloom of the old farm house, it became clear to Cherry that the short years of neglect had been rather unkind. Privately the Pegasus suspected that the building had been in a state of disrepair long before its occupant had taken ‘the long dive’. She could imagin him pacing the stone floors, age and weariness robbing his strength and leaving his property to shrivel up like an old grape trapped on a dead vine. A range of unsettling noises issued from the time warped floorboards as the trio of ponies examined the many rooms of the aged building. Though most boded a thick layer of dust along with scattered knickknacks pertaining to the previous occupants, they were all in surprisingly good nick. Had it not been for the broken windows (and the mention of spiders) Cherry would have been up for moving straight in with little more than a spring clean.

However, as they continued their exploratory tour she became acutely aware of the nature of the quaint building. Though the ceilings were high and the rooms somewhat spacious, there were only two viable exits in the form of the front and back doors. Even with her slight frame and their glass removed, Cherry doubted she would be able to squeeze through the small cottage windows that adorned the stone walls of every room. Considering her options, the filly trotted out of the small end room she had been examining and approached her flighty host.

“You know you’d have thought things would be worse judging from the outside, but inside’s remarkably intact.†She glanced around for a moment, assessing the high cealing and closed in walls of the landing.

“I suppose Earth ponies would call it cosy, but it feels very.. cramped. No offence or any, I just... it’s a Pegasus thing. Listen, I know this is going to sound a bit odd, but would you mind if I used the barn when it’s dry out? If you don’t mind that is. Either way, if it’s no trouble the end room back there would probably suit me best, given I’ll just need it to kip in when there’s a storm.â€Â

Strawberry Fields

"The barn? Really? Well, if it's what suits you best I don't mind...but..." She said, looking out the nearest murky window nervously. Even from this distance she could see how dilapidated the barn had become... it looked like the next strong breeze could push it right over.

"Thing is, The barn needs some real serious TLC first before I'm letting anypony even take a step inside, let alone live in it. We can go take a look at it after we take a peek around the house. Who knows! You might find a room to your liking up there. " She said, turning for the stairs too.

"Oh, Swift? If I may call you that... please be careful! I don't know what the condition of the upstairs floors are, and last thing I want is somepony falling right through the ceiling!"

With a nod, Swift started up the stairs. "Swift is fine." He pauses as he hears a *crack* from one of the stairs as he starts to step on it. "Hm... So it seems. I'll be careful. I can be a bit nimble when I need to be." Carefully, he steps over the suspicious step. He continues upward, carefully testing each step before putting his weight on it and continuing upward. "Who knows? We might find mementos left behind by the previous owner for you to enjoy." Eventually, he reaches the top of the stairs and heads for a door. He reaches to push it open, then freezes and watches wide-eyed as the door tips and falls into the room, kicking up a cloud of dust with a *whumpf*. He stands in the doorway, waiting for the dust to clear, letting out a cough.

As the traveller stood silhouetted in the newly expanded doorway, a small head slowly appeared at shoulder height peeping around the broken frame.

“Woops.â€Â

Cherry looked up at the stallion with a grin that wouldn’t have been out of place on a kindergartener who’d just seen somepony with their head in the cookie jar.

“Think ya might have broke it chief.†She giggled, turning to look at their host “You know I’m starting to think this place has been abandoned an awful longer than a few decades. Either that, or there's a collony of comically inclined woodworm somewhere.â€Â

• 2 weeks later...

Strawberry Fields

"Well... I think we'll be needing some new hinges... " She said, peeping over Swift's shoulder. As the dust cleared, she looked around the open room, taking in the sheet-covered furniture and the light filtering in through the dusty shutters on the window.

"Ex-excuse me..." She said, squeezing through the doorway beside Swift as she made her way into the room. She walked gingerly, testing each floorboard and wincing at each creak the floor made. She managed to make her way to the window, where she managed to crank open the old window with much effort. Leaning her weight against the closed shutter, she heaved against it again and again, but to no avail.

"Looks like these things either need some serious oil... or a good kick."

• 2 weeks later...

Swift Breeze nodded, stepping into the room. With a smirk, he looked over to Cherry. "I suppose it is refreshing to know I have not gone weak from lack of practice?" He wanders over to the window and knocks on the shutters in a few places. "I suppose I could lend a hoof with them. They do seem to be quite stuck." He rubs his chin. "...and if they will not open, and instead break... they would have needed replacing anyways, yes?" he quips with a wry smile.

Looking around, he nods a bit. "Apart from the door, the shutters, and the creaking floor, this room seems to be okay." He looks at the floor briefly before returning his attention to the shutters. "It wouldn't take too much work to get it fixed up and hospitable." He pushes a bit on the shutters, trying to find out if there's anyplace that seems more stuck than anywhere else.