The Metal Thread

Also, could I interest you two in some Folk/Viking metal?

Not my type, though I'll be open minded

Honestly, I don't aim for metal bands that are attempting to be hardcore. I can't find words to put it, but the best way (and most general) is that I like metal that is more on the serious side/takes itself seriously. The metalcore/grindcore stuff usually doesn't appeal to me in that regard, as I feel that it's just not really being serious.

They don't attempt to be hardcore, they just are influenced by it or cross the two together, there's a difference, though I don't seem to get your point on the whole "it's not taking itself seriously" thing, though I can get why you wouldn't like it for the sound of that type of stuff.

Bro, Carcass invented melodic death metal.

According to Wikipedia and About.com (http://heavymetal.ab...etalprofile.htm), Carcass was one of the few bands who attributed to the sub-genre's formation, not the main one.

Not my type, though I'll be open minded

So that's a no?

They don't attempt to be hardcore, they just are influenced by it or cross the two together, there's a difference, though I don't seem to get your point on the whole "it's not taking itself seriously" thing, though I can get why you wouldn't like it for the sound of that type of stuff.

As I said before, it's hard to explain. I can like one genre of metal, like one band who plays that type of metal, but not another who plays the same thing. There is a common connection, but it's hard to express in words.

I say serious because that's what comes to mind when I try to think of words. I could mean serious as by either tone, originality, or even something completely different.

And I never objectively stated that it's not taking itself seriously, only that I felt like that it wasn't. The people who are making the music are (or at least I would assume) very serious while making and playing the music. Again, it's me unable to put the reason why I don't like a particular song into coherent words. Heck, I know of I few songs that I like that are similar in style (or even apart of the same genre), but for some reason this song doesn't stick out. In other words, play style probably isn't playing that much of a role in the factoring (or it is, but I'm just underestimating it).

As I said before, it's hard to explain. I can like one genre of metal, like one band who plays that type of metal, but not another who plays the same thing. There is a common connection, but it's hard to express in words.

I say serious because that's what comes to mind when I try to think of words. I could mean serious as by either tone, originality, or even something completely different.

And I never objectively stated that it's not taking itself seriously, only that I felt like that it wasn't. The people who are making the music are (or at least I would assume) very serious while making and playing the music. Again, it's me unable to put the reason why I don't like a particular song into coherent words. Heck, I know of I few songs that I like that are similar in style (or even apart of the same genre), but for some reason this song doesn't stick out. In other words, play style probably isn't playing that much of a role in the factoring (or it is, but I'm just underestimating it).

Well at least I have an idea of what you're going at, the reason why I like Metalcore/Mathcore is because well....in my really young years I listened to a lot of Pop Punk, which had lead me over to Post-Punk and Hardcore Punk when I was older, so it would make sense that I'd move onto Metalcore/Mathcore when I was getting into the heavier stuff since that stuff has a bit of a background influence from Punk, so basically it's just the sound that I've been used to all my life. As for Black Metal, I have no idea how I got into that stuff, I guess I just listened to it and surprisingly liked the sound of it. Sludge Metal kind of has a background from Hardcore vocals so that's kind of how I was able to get into that stuff, and the same thing goes for Post-Metal.

Though anyways I'm excited for the new Norma Jean album

Also posting some Alcest here

Well at least I have an idea of what you're going at, the reason why I like Metalcore/Mathcore is because well....in my really young years I listened to a lot of Pop Punk, which had lead me over to Post-Punk and Hardcore Punk when I was older, so it would make sense that I'd move onto Metalcore/Mathcore when I was getting into the heavier stuff since that stuff has a bit of a background influence from Punk, so basically it's just the sound that I've been used to all my life. As for Black Metal, I have no idea how I got into that stuff, I guess I just listened to it and surprisingly liked the sound of it. Sludge Metal kind of has a background from Hardcore vocals so that's kind of how I was able to get into that stuff, and the same thing goes for Post-Metal.

Personally, I started liking metal when my family got Guitar Hero 2. At that time, I was much younger. A year or so later, my brother introduced me to Kamelot. This introduced me to the other forms of metal, and made me see that metal just wasn't all about death. Although my curiosity in metal died out for sometime, I stumbled upon Rhapsody, one of the greater known power metal bands. From then, I just browsed similar songs in youtube if they were in the suggestions. Overtime, I would find all of the main metal that I like, including Viking, Pagan, Black, Power, etcetera. Most of the music that I like was the music that I was exposed to was during my "journies" in the youtube suggestions. Some music, such as Progressive and Melodic Death, were introduced to me by family and friends.

My overall music taste is more focused on diversity. I will have a lot of bands playing in a genre of music, lots of metal sub-genres, but all bands will only have an album or two.

Originally when I first found Black Metal, I didn't like it much. However, it's been several years since, and I'm now a fan of it, albeit not as hardcore as most other fans.

From what I heard of Norma Jean, I can't say I like them. However, I'm digging the Alcest.

And for that one Kamelot song that really kicked off my interest in metal:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7kUAZJP3DG4

Here's the Rhapsody song (it's long) that really kicked off my love for metal:

https://www.youtube....h?v=TnjBcXa0trc

Holy crud, the nostalgia of the day that I found this long song...

From what I heard of Norma Jean, I can't say I like them. However, I'm digging the Alcest.

I figured that you wouldn't like the Norma Jean stuff, so I dropped that Alcest song there, cause I'm that generous, and I figured that you'd like them. You like ISIS bro? They're another favorite band of mine.

Personally, I started liking metal when my family got Guitar Hero 2. At that time, I was much younger. A year or so later, my brother introduced me to Kamelot. This introduced me to the other forms of metal, and made me see that metal just wasn't all about death. Although my curiosity in metal died out for sometime, I stumbled upon Rhapsody, one of the greater known power metal bands. From then, I just browsed similar songs in youtube if they were in the suggestions. Overtime, I would find all of the main metal that I like, including Viking, Pagan, Black, Power, etcetera. Most of the music that I like was the music that I was exposed to was during my "journies" in the youtube suggestions. Some music, such as Progressive and Melodic Death, were introduced to me by family and friends.

My overall music taste is more focused on diversity. I will have a lot of bands playing in a genre of music, lots of metal sub-genres, but all bands will only have an album or two.

Originally when I first found Black Metal, I didn't like it much. However, it's been several years since, and I'm now a fan of it, albeit not as hardcore as most other fans.

And for that one Kamelot song that really kicked off my interest in metal:

https://www.youtube....h?v=7kUAZJP3DG4

Here's the Rhapsody song (it's long) that really kicked off my love for metal:

https://www.youtube....h?v=TnjBcXa0trc

Holy crud, the nostalgia of the day that I found this long song...

I hate to tell ya but, I really dislike power metal. The only exception is Keeper of the Seven Keys pt.1 but I don't even listen to it that much. I'm not a fan of the vocals, the guitar is okay I guess, I dislike the overall "happy" sound of it.

Anyways, I'll post something that I would normally listen to.

I hate to tell ya but, I really dislike power metal. The only exception is Keeper of the Seven Keys pt.1 but I don't even listen to it that much. I'm not a fan of the vocals, the guitar is okay I guess, I dislike the overall "happy" sound of it.

Anyways, I'll post something that I would normally listen to.

Quite understandable. Sometimes I too dislike some of the power metal songs because they're too happy.

And Morbid Angel, I know that they are big Death Metal. But again, I can't say that I'm a fan.

I figured that you wouldn't like the Norma Jean stuff, so I dropped that Alcest song there, cause I'm that generous, and I figured that you'd like them. You like ISIS bro? They're another favorite band of mine.

Well, I quickly skimmed over the video. I sort of like it, and I thought that the video was a little odd. Reminds me of the band Katatonia (I listen to a few of their songs), but this song specifically.

Quite understandable. Sometimes I too dislike some of the power metal songs because they're too happy.

And Morbid Angel, I know that they are big Death Metal. But again, I can't say that I'm a fan.

Power metal just isn't my thing. Well I'm not sure what you mean by "big Death Metal" but they are one of the more well known bands.

Well, I quickly skimmed over the video. I sort of like it, and I thought that the video was a little odd. Reminds me of the band Katatonia (I listen to a few of their songs), but this song specifically.

Isis being compared to Katatonia, that's not something that I hear everyday, though yeah ISIS videos are definitely kind of weird. The thing that I find cool about that video is that it isn't CGI they're using something that's called FerroFluid, kind of cool to know that it's all live footage. Also I've listened to a bit of Katatonia, I don't mind them, not a personal favorite though they seem to be alright.

Power metal just isn't my thing. Well I'm not sure what you mean by "big Death Metal" but they are one of the more well known bands.

My mistake, I was exactly saying that they were big in the Death Metal scene.

Isis being compared to Katatonia, that's not something that I hear everyday, though yeah ISIS videos are definitely kind of weird. The thing that I find cool about that video is that it isn't CGI they're using something that's called FerroFluid, kind of cool to know that it's all live footage. Also I've listened to a bit of Katatonia, I don't mind them, not a personal favorite though they seem to be alright.

Well that song reminded me of Katatonia, not that they are very similar.

Katatonia also isn't one of my most favorite, but there are a few songs that I like.

And that is an interesting fact about the music video. I never knew the name of the fluid, but I knew of it before.

• 2 weeks later...

I like me some good power metal here and there. Some Helloween. Some... other bands I overhear my brother listening to that I cannot really remember the names of. Outside of power metal, I like a little Metallica... Some Iron Maiden. All that predictable stuff. :P I do not like death metal and stuff like that. Little too evil for me most of the time...

I've heard that Halloween was a good band, but I never really heard any of their songs.

And as for the death metal, it's understandable. Although I like the way you put it.

I've heard that Halloween was a good band, but I never really heard any of their songs.

And as for the death metal, it's understandable. Although I like the way you put it.

Well, I think we are both thinking of different bands here, unless you mis-typed. I said Helloween, with an E. You said Halloween, like the holiday. I think there is a band called Halloween (well, there must be a band called that by now), though I've never listened to it.

Well, I think we are both thinking of different bands here, unless you mis-typed. I said Helloween, with an E. You said Halloween, like the holiday. I think there is a band called Halloween (well, there must be a band called that by now), though I've never listened to it.

I meant to say Helloween. My brain says to type in Halloween because I always forget that one subtle difference.

Ah, I see. There is a band called Halloween, I'm sure, which is why I wasn't sure if you were thinking of the same band bleah.

• 4 weeks later...

[colour=#282828]Thrash has always been my favorite sub genre. I also like Black, Power, Death, Prog, and Grindcore. I also like Punk and Hardcore.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]I got into Metal when I first heard Anthrax's "Caught In A Mosh". It grew from there when I started listening to other stuff. Metal helps me when i'm angry or feeling down.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]I guess a few 'unknown' bands I like would be Brain Drill, Strapping Young Lad, Wormrot, Emperor, Brutal Truth, and Fleshgod Apocalypse.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Thrash has always been my favorite sub genre. I also like Black, Power, Death, Prog, and Grindcore. I also like Punk and Hardcore.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]I got into Metal when I first heard Anthrax's "Caught In A Mosh". It grew from there when I started listening to other stuff. Metal helps me when i'm angry or feeling down.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]I guess a few 'unknown' bands I like would be Brain Drill, Strapping Young Lad, Wormrot, Emperor, Brutal Truth, and Fleshgod Apocalypse.[/colour]

I've heard of Emporer but the other bands don't ring a bell. What sub-genre do those bands play?

I've heard of Emporer but the other bands don't ring a bell. What sub-genre do those bands play?

[colour=#282828] [/colour][colour=#282828]Brain Drill is Technical Death Metal, Wormrot is Grindcore, Emperor are Symphonic-ish Black Metal, Brutal Truth are Grindcore, and Fleshgod Apocalypse are Symphonic Death Metal. :blush: SYL are hard to put into one genre. They're like Extreme Industrial Thrashy Deathy Metal or something like that. :-|[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Aside from the Death Metal and stuff, I also like System Of A Down, Nightwish, Tyr, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Stormwarrior (super awesome Power Metal band).[/colour]