Bronycon 2013 (Spoilers, or not)

P51Mustang

Yep, yep, I attended Bronycon, and it was amazing! Below is a write-up I did for another forum, so it's a bit weird, I do apologize for that.

Hello everypony, Wilgrove reporting from Baltimare!

So this is my second day at Bronycon, and I am having one Hel of a good time! First off, I'd just like to say that Oliver Nicole is just the nicest person you ever could've met at Bronycon. For those who don't know, she's the voice of Princess Celestia and Cheerilee. Friday, there was a VA Panel and I asked her a question about the video of GLaDOS writing a letter to Princess Celestia. It was a stupid question I know, but at least it was unique. sm_tongue.gif

Anyways, after the VA Panel, I was down at the vendor's hall getting some swag when she ran into me and another member of North Carolina bronies. We shared with her the positive impact the show had on our lives and she was really moved and gave both of us a hug. So, Oliver Nicole, one dynamite woman and someone who is not afraid to talk to bronies when there's not a microphone around.

I also met with Amy Keathing Rogers, she had an informal panel where she played her Uke. It was really fun and she has a great singing voice and mad skills on the Uke.

Now the con did have one sour note. Last night there was a panel for the roasting of our favorite MLP characters, which sounded like great fun, right? Yea, they only stayed on topic for the first 15 minutes and then it devolved into gay bashing, bashing the con staff, other panelist, etc. I get that to the people running the panel it was "humorous", but when people are walking out of your panel in droves, your brand of humor may not be working. The con staff did shut down the panel after it went on for about 45 minutes and the person who was hosting got his con pass taken away. He also had his comedy show cancelled. So mad props to the con staff for handling the inappropriate panel in an appropriate way.

I am having a great time, and to see so many people come together for their love of the show is a really amazing experience. We talked about what an impact the show had on our lives, and how the brony community has been such a positive impact on all of us here and even on the kids who've gotten into the show. Parents were saying nothing but positive things about the brony community.

One last things, The con had about 7,500 (rough estitmate) pre-regs and the numbers that are floating around is 9,000 con goers this weekend, double of last year's Bronycon.

Wilgrove reporting again from Baltimare.

I'm not going to do the play-by-play of what I've learned from all the awesome panels that I've been in, so bulletin points!

• Comics are 100% canon. Just got out of the panel with the comic creators. They've explicitilly stated that they not only work with Hasbro, but DHX as well to make sure the comic does not conflict with the show. The comics are canon, end of story.
  • On the episode MMMystery on the Friendship Express, the original script did have Applejack also take a bite out of the cake. When Twilight ask why she didn't find any clues, Applejack was supposed to say "I'm just better at it than everypony else." I'm paraphrasing but there we go.
  • On the first night of the Brony concert, the combined jumping of all the bronies (as well as dropping the bass) actually ended up registering on the ritcher scale (numbers I've heard was 1.1), so bronies can now create earthquakes. Go us! Honestly I do not doubt that, because while I didn't attend the concert (I hate dubstep), I did feel the jumping up and down no matter where I was in the Convention Center.
  • Tara Strong didn't show up this year, she was booked at another con that's taking place at the same time. I'm just glad she's still doing cons after getting screwed over by Los Pegasus.
  • Sorry, no Season 4 spoilers, which is a **** shame. The reason behind that was that Hasbro doesn't endorse these cons.
  • Speaking of Hasbro, apparently they do pay attention to the brony community. They cited several examples such as Vinyl Scratch/DJ Pon3 being a canon name, Derpy being obessed with Muffins and apparently the design for the Equestria Girls came from fan art. Okay, so they shouldn't listen to us all the time, but there we go.

You know, I think the thing I enjoyed the most about Bronycon was how reaffirming it was. I'll give you an example. There was this one panel, "Brony Pony Power Hour" where we just talked about the show and how the show affected our lives. There was this mother who had a 12 year old gay son who was into ponies. Her son was being bullied because of the gay and pony thing, and I kid you not, the whole community rallied around her and her son and...it was just so beautiful...it honestly was.

and I am now back in North Carolina after a long road trip from Baltimore. It's now Baltimore again since the con is over.

I will post pictures either tomorrow or Wednesday, too tired to do it now.

I will say this though, BEST CON EVER!

Also, I will be going to Bronycon 2014.

Anyways, this has been the best vacation I've had in a long time. Guys, the brony community is awesome! For the first time in a long time, I feel completely comfortable in my own skin, and everyone here at the con is just so supporting loving and awesome. The outpouring of support that I have seen here at the con has really inspired me. Not only support from the bronies themselves, but also from the writers, voice actors, the comic creators, etc. It really is a positive experience that is really indescriable.

What I've witness this weekend, leaves no doubt in my mind that the brony community is a strong community just like Trekkies, Star Wars fans, and Dr. Whovians. The bronies will still be here 10, 20, and 30 years from now.

This weekend has made me realize that I am a brony for life.

My Bronycon 2013 pictures

• Like 1

Comics are 100% canon. Just got out of the panel with the comic creators. They've explicitilly stated that they not only work with Hasbro, but DHX as well to make sure the comic does not conflict with the show. The comics are canon, end of story.

This pleases me greatly!

Now the con did have one sour note. Last night there was a panel for the roasting of our favorite MLP characters, which sounded like great fun, right? Yea, they only stayed on topic for the first 15 minutes and then it devolved into gay bashing, bashing the con staff, other panelist, etc. I get that to the people running the panel it was "humorous", but when people are walking out of your panel in droves, your brand of humor may not be working. The con staff did shut down the panel after it went on for about 45 minutes and the person who was hosting got his con pass taken away. He also had his comedy show cancelled. So mad props to the con staff for handling the inappropriate panel in an appropriate way.

I'm really glad to hear something was done about that. I was one of the ones unfortunate enough to have checked that panel out with the intention of actually hearing funny and original jokes. I tried to stay, hoping maybe they would get back on topic, but after a point, I just couldn't take it any more. I left a few minutes after Dudebro started going around the room, probably just before it got shut down, from what you said.

On the first night of the Brony concert, the combined jumping of all the bronies (as well as dropping the bass) actually ended up registering on the ritcher scale (numbers I've heard was 1.1), so bronies can now create earthquakes. Go us! Honestly I do not doubt that, because while I didn't attend the concert (I hate dubstep), I did feel the jumping up and down no matter where I was in the Convention Center.

Aha! That's why I wasn't allowed to jump when I went up there to party Saturday night!

I'm really glad to hear something was done about that. I was one of the ones unfortunate enough to have checked that panel out with the intention of actually hearing funny and original jokes. I tried to stay, hoping maybe they would get back on topic, but after a point, I just couldn't take it any more. I left a few minutes after Dudebro started going around the room, probably just before it got shut down, from what you said.

Aha! That's why I wasn't allowed to jump when I went up there to party Saturday night!

I'm surprised Dudebro was able to stay at the Con, I saw him on "Who's Line Is it Anypony?" and I think he was one of the staff members screening questions for the Writers panel. Ah well, I doubt Dudebro will be invited back for 2014.

As for the jumping and dubstep, the numbers they said at the closing ceremony was 1.6 on the richer scale, so go bronies!

Also, 8,407 bronies attended the con, 100% more than 2012. Here's hoping in 2014 we see at least 12,000 if not 16,000 bronies! :D