New Construction (ENDED)

Mojo

gI0gbs.png Professor Clyde Krashkp

250px-Ms._Harshwhinny_id_S3E12.png Ms. Harshwhinney

Standing in front of a vacant lot in downtown Canterlot was a large pitched tent that had a sign 'CAUTION, CONSTRUCTION AREA' out in front of it. Emerging from the tent were two ponies, an orange pelted blonde Earth mare dressed in a blue blazer. Beside her was a green furred elderly Pegasus who wore glasses.

"Where is he? Where is this great architect you kept bragging to be about, Professor Krashkop?" Ms. Harshwhinney snorted.

"Please fraulien, calm yourself! He vill be here! Gerrard comes highly recommended und I vill personally vouch for his skill! He is dee perfect choice to design dis new office building to house dee Equestria Games offices!"

"Well, this Gerrard will have to convince ME he is up to this task. After all, I have been put in charge of this project, and I intend to see that this new office building comes in under budget and on time! Now where is he? Is he taking a taxi to get here?"

"I don't tink he vill be travel day vay, he vill fly in!"

"OH? He's NOT a unicorn? He's a Pegasus?"

"Nein, not exactly, he is more of a.."

"Oh nevermind Professor. I'm sure I will know him when I see him, WHENEVER he decides to show up for our meeting!" the mare neighed, looking down at her legwatch.

Canterlot was enjoying a nice overcast summer day. The weather kept the city cool and cast a light shadow over the city. It was the perfect day for sneaking around in broad day light, not that there was a lot of daylight to hide in of course.

A pair of golden eyes peered down on the two ponies from a shadowy portion of the city behind the pair. As quickly as they were visible, they vanished from sight, only to reappear on an unlit balcony. With a quick leap, they were gone from the building, gliding lightly to the ground with a pair of large black wings. A pair of talons and paws silently tread on the ground as a black pelted griffon with silver head feathers prowled through the work site as he stalked the unaware earth pony. When he was within striking range, he raised his posture and looked over the ponies with his golden eyes, recognizing the mare from the description given to him previously.

"Ahh, Madame Harshwinney, I apologize for being terribly late. I live only a few blocks away but the directions seemed to be written somepony with terrible penmanship. I mean, it is like they wrote it with their mouth of all things. Alas, I was lead astray and had to use some intuition to recover," the griffon replied in a formal Canterlot voice as soon as he stood behind the blonde mare. He grinned devilishly and leaned forward, placing his long sharp black beak uncomfortably close to her face should she turn around to look him over. He secretly loved scaring ponies with his presence, especially ones that bemoaned petty things. He was going to enjoy his afternoon with the mare, she seemed almost as stuffy as his neighbors in Canterlot.

The sudden appearance of Gerrard truly scared Ms. Harshwhinney. Letting out a scream, the orange pelted Earth Pony ducked behind Professor Krashkop, shaking like a leaf.

[colour=#FF0000]"HELP! SAVE ME!" [/colour]she whined.

[colour=#008000]"Stop acting so RUDE, fraulien!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed, purposely sidestepping away from the blonde blazer wearing mare. [colour=#008000]"I tried to tell you Gerrard vas a griffon. I have known him for many years!"[/colour]

The gray maned Pegasus then walked up to Gerrard and offered his hoof to shake.

[colour=#008000]"Gut morgan, herr Gerrard! It is vonderba to see you again! You are looking vell. Perhaps later on, vee can dine at Gustav LeGrande's restaurant, I vill buy, of course!" [/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"You, you, KNOW this, creature?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"You need to apologize for your rudeness, fraulein!" [/colour]the Professor scoulded. [colour=#008000]"I fail to believe somevone like YOU who has lived in Canterlot for a long time vould not recognize vone of dis city's leading citizens!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"You mean, Gerrard is a, citizen of Canterlot?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Javol! Now you VILL apologize for your remarks. SNELL!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh dear," [/colour]Ms. Harshwhinney said as she got back on her four hooves and slowly approach the griffon. [colour=#FF0000]"Er, Mr. Gerrard, I do offer my sincerest apologies for my behavior. I've never worked so closely with, well, a griffon before. But nonetheless, we should begin our work here, yes?"[/colour]

There was something rewarding about the screams of uppity ponies that just resonated with the dark hybrid. It was like a karmic justice being served and he he could never seem to say no to it. He didn't even need to growl to startle this one, something he only did to the nastiest of ponies.

Gerrard put on a devilish grin and glanced at the mare, almost in a subtly aggressive manner as before he gave the elderly pegasus his attention. The hybrid nodded as the green pony offered him a meal. "You know that I don't shake peoples... hooves if they are my friends," he replied in a less eccentric voice as he hesitated on the word hoof. It seemed that his fancy tone that he greeted the pair with was little more than a facade to catch her off guard.

After he had spoken, his intense eyes narrowed and he started a light growl as he slowly approached his old friend. The griffon pounced forward and scooped the pegasus up into a tight bear hug, flailing him about carefully. "Friends get hugs, strangers get shakes," he explained with a hearty laugh before releasing the old pony.

Upon registering that she had called him a creature, Gerrard raised his brow, almost in disbelief of her cruel words. "Creatures eat ponies. Do I look like a creature," he asked rhetorically as his fierce eyes pierced her form.

"Ma'am, please call me by my surname. It would be unprofessional for you to speak to me in such a familiar manner. And from what I have already seen, you can't afford to lose any more professionalism. You may call me Mr. Greyfeather," he explained coldly to her while stretching out a sharp taken for her to shake.

The griffon wasn't quite as offended as he lead on, years of experience tempering his reactions to negativity. He had learned many things in his time in Canterlot, especially ways to replicate their 'charm'.To him, it was more rewarding to make snobs squirm than it was to simply scold them. After a moment of awkward silence, he nodded and gestured for her to lead him to his work site.

When the griffon grab up Professor Krashkop in a hug, Ms. Harshwhinney gasped in amazement. But Clyde was used to this sort of greeting from his old friend, so he was perfectly calm throughout the entire time.

"You alvays have dat unique form of greeting, mein friend," the Professor said with a wide grin after he was released from the hug. When she heard Gerrand's words towards her, Ms. Harshwhinney whined and looked very sad. The orange Earth pony hadn't realized how insensative and harsh her 'greeting' was to the griffon.

"A thousand pardons, Ger.. I mean, Mr. Greyfeather," the suddenly nervous blonde mare said, "I do apologize for my poor choice of wrods. Please, come this way."

Professor Krashkop gave the mare a nasty look as he passed by her and entered inside. Ms. Harshwhinney held the door open for Gerrand, hoping that she could recover from her bad first impression.

"Ahh, you know how I like to grab everything I can with my talons. Old hunter instincts," he explained with a grin, making up a fake background his friend would have known as false.

When she apologized, the normally jovial griffon was stunned for just a moment. He didn't often succeed in shaming out apologies from uppity folk. Regardless, he was used to ignorant outbursts and it never really bothered him. "Ah, thank you dear, it takes courage to apologize for making a scene. I accept it, tentatively of course. You understand Ms. Harshwhinney, I presume," he replied, drifting back to the fake formal voice he had used earlier.

He nodded for the mare as she held the door open for him, the griffon seemingly able to put her outburst behind them. "Now what are the details on the project? My colleague only gave my a brief summation of my duty. I presume you have a blueprint, or will I need to draft on as well," he added nonchalantly for his host. His keen eyes finally drifted away from the mare and decided to inspect the building, hoping to see a rhyme or reason about its layout.

"Yes, yes of course we have blueprints, Mr. Greyfeather! Professor, show him the royal blueprints!" Ms. Harshwhinney said sternly.

"Javol, frau Harshvhinney!" Professor Krashkop neighed, producing a large tripod stand where the edlerly Pegasus placed a wooden piece of sheetboard with the blueprint pasted to it upon it. Taking a pointing stick in his right hoof, the green Pegasus pointed to features of the blueprint as he explained them.

"As you can see, Herr Greyfeather, dere are a number of distinct features to dis structure vee are looking for. Here, vee vant tvin glass doors for dee entry vay. Und up here, dis second floor vill consist of office space. Vone large meeting room, und several smaller office areas for dee Equestria Games staff. Downstairs, dee lobby vill be very spacious, und yet must have a distinct Equestria Games look to it. Up here, dere is a planned third floor but for dee moment, it vill be storage space. In dee future, perhaps if dee Games staff is expanded, den dis third floor can be more developed. Vith dis plan, vee already have an eye on expansion. Do you have any suggestions, old friend?"

Gerrard followed after his friend, the golden eyes of the griffon examining the building plans in silence. He nodded while moving from section to section, the hybrid not seeming to find any problems.

Gerrard paused for a moment, placing a talon up to his face while he coughed loudly. Ah, yes good sir. Your design is simply marvelous. I can't think of much else to improve it. If anything, I would suggest some post construction motifs to help inspire unity and cooperation. You know, a griffon greeting an ungulate, preferably one that is a bit, down to earth if you know what I mean sir," Gerrard explained in the original voice he had used earlier. It was a bit unclear as to which was his actual voice , but his puffed out chest and extended pinky talon did seem to indicate that he was fancy. Assuming of course that ponies knew anything about hands in the first place.

"That settles it! The work will start tomorrow. Any last requests my friends?" Gerrard commented in a less formal manner as he seemed to count both ponies as his friends again. There didn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to his sudden shift, but the Griffon probably preferred being hard to understand.

"Vhat did I tell you, Frau Harshwhinney?" Professor Krashkop neighed. "Did I tell you Gerrard vas dee perfect guy for dis job?"

"Indeed you did, Professor," the orange mare in the purple blazer said as she turned towards Gerrard. "I must ask this question, simply because I am in charge of this operation. Will you be able to bring this project in on time and on budget?"

"Of course he vill! You vill see, is this not so, Herr Greyfeather?"

"I don't mean to be picky, but I will be the one facing the wrath of my superiors if this building isn't completed on time. This is why I insist on asking the question, sir."

"It was as if I was designed for this job! How many architects can fly to a job site and manipulate it like I can," he asked with a grin, seeming to pull a wrench out of nowhere as he deftly juggled the metal object between the dexterous digits of a claw. "I'll get the job done on budget, and I am known for speed, at least my constructing anyway," he explained nefariously as he gave the mare an insidious look.

He looked his surroundings over and nodded, seemingly pleased with the conditions he had to work with. The griffon knew there were many in town who prided themselves on their work. A few choice words and the griffon figured he would practically have volunteers.

"Yes Ms. Whinney, I will deliver you the greatest of victories! So long as a meteor doesn't crash into the site from outer space, everything will be great! And in the unlikely even that a celestial body ruins the project, I'm sure you can explain to your bosses why you failed," he added coyly, almost as if it were a common occurrence. For the sake of everyone here, they had better hoped it was just a funny tangent.

"Dere is nuting to fear, Frau Harshwhinney, as I have told you," Professor Krashkop said confidently as he turned to Gerrard. "I knew vee could count on you! By dee vay, have you zeen mein design specs for a new device I vish to install in dis building? I call it, an elevator und it vould replace dee need for stairs und.."

"WHAT???" Ms. Harshwhinney neighed angrily. "You didn't mention that you planned on installing one of your worthless inventions into MY building! I will not stand for it!"

"Vorthless? VORTHLESS!!!" the elderly Pegasus roared. "Mein inventions are NOT vorthless und I vill prove it to you!"

"Not in MY building you won't! Need I mention what happened with your LAST great invention?"

"Ok ok. So dee vorld's not yet ready for peanut-based glue! Vas it MEIN fault dat you had your interior designed use mein new glue on your vallpaper?"

"Your stupid glue made me a laughing stock in my Bridge Club Circle! I was hosting our meeting the day that glue wore off and nearly buried all of us in soggy wallpaper!"

"But you have to admit, dee vallpaper tasted good to nibble on vith all dat peanut glue on it!"

"No elevator and that's FINAL! Even Mr. Greyfeather will argee with my caution, correct?"

Gerrard wondered why anyone would want to avoid stairs at all. Most buildings in Equestria weren't tall enough to need such a contraption. Then it hit him, only lazy ponies would need an elevator. If only he could find a place with rich lazy ponies.

The griffon soon had an epiphany and turned to his old friend. "Oh, we could install elevators in the homes of all the flightless ponies! Then they could be uppity on every floor without breaking a sweat! I like your thinking! Together we will go far! He announced excitedly, wrapping his talon around the neck of the pegasus while he gestured with his free one.

He then glanced over to the mare, expecting her to be aghast at his agreement. A grin kept back across his face while he decided go limit the teasing of the mare. "Ah, but I must agree with Miss Harshwhinney. We don't have the budget to build a prototype elevator. We will have to settle on stairs. Not everyone can fly up to the second or third floor," he explained, pointing a talon at the orange pony while he mentioned stairs.

"Well I never!" Ms. Harshwhinney neighed at the first part of Gerrard's comments, taking great offense when the griffon mentioned 'flightless' and 'uppity' ponies. Professor Krashkop knew his old friend well enough to know he was trying to 'rattle' the orange mare, so he kept silent and 'played along' with it. But then, Ms. Harshwhinney's face brightened as Gerrard seemed to be taking her side in disapproving of the elevator.

"See Professor? I knew the griffon would agree with me!" Ms. Harshwhinney neighed before realizing the subtle insult she'd been made the object of. "HAY! Wait a minute.."

At this point, Professor Krashkop could no longer hold his peace. This was SO funny, he burst into laughter, not even caring that his idea had been 'voted' out.

"I have alvays LOVED your sense of humor, Herr Greyfeather!" the green Pegasus giggled before calming down. "You are both correct, dis building does not need such a luxury."

"Luxury? Did you say, luxury?"

"Ja, it vould be dee first building in dee entire kingdom to have such a device, but since you'd rather not consider it.."

"The FIRST building to have one?" Ms Harshwhinney asked as she daydreamed about being able to brag to those in her social circle and especially, to the Princess sisters about HER great achievement. :"Perhaps I was a bit, hasty, in my judgment. Professor, let's carefully consider this, elevator thing. If it can be put into place cheaply, maybe it should be a part of my, er, I mean, our building."

Gerrard knew how mares like this worked. It was always about them and what they could do for themselves. Ultimately, it was understandable, but not something he had to like. Luckily for the griffon though, these types of people were also the easiest to manipulate!

"What, I agreed with you on the elevator. You can't expect me to just eat some hay though. That just isn't in my diet dear," he added with a chuckle, doing his best to subtly prod the mare.

Gerrard glanced over to his friend, unable to control his grin as he struggle to not outright cackle at the mare. "Wait, you are right! You could become the most famous person in Equestria," he commented with the most nefarious expression on his face while he wrapped a talon around the made and leaned on her.

"Ms. Harshwhinney, creates first elevator in Equestria! While giving a tour of it to the princesses, the device breaks, hurdling the guests to the first floor. Harshwhinney, first pony banished to the sun! Everyone would know who you were for the rest of your life," he cheered excitedly, painting a picture of the scene with his claw as he spoke.

"Wouldn't that be something, right Professor," Gerrard added with an out of place smile as he waited for his friend to play along. The griffon had heard of the idea back in his homeland, his kind using pulleys to get large objects into very tall residences.

Instantly, as Gerrard calmly recited the 'nightmare scenario' involving the Princesses, Ms. Harshwhinney's face went from bright and cheery to a look of extreme fear and dread. Professor Krashkop was keenly aware of the 'game' his old friend was playing on the uppity Canterlot mare, and withholding his urge to burst into laughter, decided to play along with his current train of thought.

"Dat VOULD be most unfortunate," the elderly green Pegasus said in a deadpan manner, giving a quick, understanding wink to his griffon friend. "Den day vould be looking for a new Equestria Games Inspector. Vould it be your assistant, dat dapper YOUNGER stallion, vhat's his name?"

"Stern Judgment!" Ms. Harshwhinney shouted. "How DARE Stern try to steal my job after that night we spent together in Fillydelphia and.."

Suddenly the Professor got a stunned look on his face as Ms. Harshwhinney's went into an instant deep red blush of embarrassment before the orange Earth pony fought to regain her composure,

"HAY! This isn't about me, y'know! There will be NO elevator in this building, and that's FINAL!"

"Even if Princess Celestia APPROVED of vone in dis building?"

"Well, if she said yes, I mean, but she wouldn't if she was involved in an accident in one and, but if she wanted one but.. but..."

Now Ms. Harshwhinney was so confused and distraught, she was muttering to herself, her face twitching as her mind raced further from reality.

"Most unfortunate indeed. I mean, imagine having to apologize to all the families that you hurt while in search for fame of fame and glory," he added devilishly, the black hybrid loving to toy with her.

When she spoke of her rival though, Gerrard was frozen for a split second. "You should know better than dating the competition! They are out to ruin you! I hope you didn't tell him your secrets. If you want to date anyone, it should be someone who isn't in the same field as you. You are a manager of some sort, you should date someone out of your field. Someone like me, someone who can't steal your job," he explained, almost seeming to suggest that they go out on a fate even!

"Isn't that right professor? Just stay calm my dear. You look positively uncouth at the moment. Anything I can do to help out," he asked again in his original fancy accent while tending to the problem he had gleefully created.

• 3 weeks later...

The Professor was completely stunned at Ms. Harshwhinney's impromptu confession. He was all for razzing the uptight mare, but now this was going in a completely different direction. Still, the elderly Pegasus stallion couldn't help but to continue to play along.

"Ja! Dat is a vonderba idea, Herr Greyfeather!" Professor Krashkop neighed. "Dating Ms. Harshvhinney would be quite safe, safer den going out vith dat other guy, vhatsizname.."

"Never mind," Ms. Harshwhinney said sternly as she looked over at Gerrard. "Mr. Greyfeather, although I am flattered by your offer, I must decline. I hope you will understand."

"But vhy not, Fraulien? Mein friend is a very fine fellow, I vill attest to dis!" the Professor said, giving a quick wink to Gerrard, hoping he continues to play along.

Gerrard loved to play with ponies and his friend knew this well enough. Part of him wanted to toy with the emotions of the mare while another part of him wondered what she was actually like when the public wasn't looming over her. He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts before turning to address the mare.

"I must agree with the professor on this point. I am a very qualified bachelor if I do say so myself. I am wealthy, friendly, reputable and handsome, or so I have been told. Anyway, I think you could use a bit of socialization with my kind. I mean, imagine what Celestia would think if she heard how heartlessly you reacted to my appearance. She would probably make you take some counseling with a grizzly griffon shrink. Or even worse, she could replace you as the chair of this committee," he explained in a harsh manner as if he wanted to help her avoid trouble while scaring her. Gerrard had managed to keep a straight face, even as he wanted to burst out laughing.

After just a moment of silence, Gerrard turned to the professor with a look of shock on his face. "Oh, how could I forget! The representative from Aquellia will be in Canterlot next week to tour the facility. Mr. Bloodtalon was his name I think. I've heard he is one oc the military leaders there. He is quite the imposing figure. All muscle and instinct with scars to accent his noble image. Quite the fierce negotiator if I remember correctly. Do you know anything else about him professor," Gerrard commented thoughtfully as he completely made up the scariest sounding individual he could imagine. He hoped that his friend would catch onto the ruse. Harshwhinney was the type of made who needed a bit of prodding to react in a certain way, and Gerrard wondered if he could get her to agree with his false assertions.

Professor Krashkop nodded, deciding to play along with his griffon friend's train of thought.

"Ja! I tink I vaguely remember him!" the elderly Pegasus stallion neighed, "from vhat I've heard, he is quite popular in social circles in dis town! All of dee high society mares have been seen vith him, stern vays and all. Tough negotiator indeed! I believe he's an even strictor inspector than you are, Frau Harshwhinney!"

Now Ms. Harshwhinney looked more worried than ever. The purple vested orange mare did NOT want the Princess to hear of her initial reaction to Gerrard, nor did she want to further insult him. And on top of all of this, another inspector was coming? This made Ms. Harshwhinney literally shake in fear.

"But, I didn't mean to... that is to say... didn't I already apologize for... wait... I...." the clearly rattled mare rambled on, becoming more and more incoherant as she spoke.

Gerrard smirked devilishly at her self inflicted plight, the hybrid finding it hard to believe that anyone could be so mortified of a pony princess. He slipped off his grin and put on a frown as he approached the nervous mare. The black griffon gently hugged the made and gave her a soft pat on the back. "It might be better to get ahead of this my dear. Imagine if Celestia had to hear of this from one of your subordinates. She might not be too pleased. It's not like she has ever banished anyone to the moon at least," Gerrard explained in a comforting voice as he feigned ignorance to the legend of Nightmare Moon. He of course knew, but she didn't have to know!

He carefully released her and stared into the eyes of the organizer as he prepared to speak. "Of course, Celestial might just look at it is a desperate power grab by one of your employees if it turned out that we were actually friends who were playing around. This is all up to you of course. You should know the capabilities of Celestial better than me. She just raises the sun, right," he added with more fake ignorance as he deftly winked at the professor behind her.

Ms. Harshwhinney's next move surprised even the elderly Professor Krashkop. Looking even more distressed, the orange Earth mare instantly threw her forelegs around him, hugged him tightly and began to cry.

"OH WOE IS ME! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?" she cried out, sobbing uncontrolably. Now the Professor was at a loss what to do or say next. Looking back at Gerrard, all he could do was shrug his shoulders, hoping that his griffon friend would think of something else to say to her.

Gerrard's expression changed from one of enjoyment, to one of annoyance. He was starting to feel that the made was playing him for a fool. Surely nobody would actually say woe is me. And if they did, they were probably crazy and needed to be reported anyway. Gerrard crossed his talons in disgust, letting out a sigh. He shook his head in dissapointment and paused to think over the situation.

"Well, are you done floundering in self pity? If not, I will request Celestia assign another person to mediate my work," Gerrard sternly declared in a more serious tone, the black hybrid looking across for help from his friend. Gerrard was jovial, but even his patience was limited.

Professor Krashkop knew Gerrard would figure out the best response to the sobbing mare who was embracing him, and sure enough, the insightful griffon was right on the mark. Whatever was going on in the mind of the sad orange mare, she had to be brought back to reality. So quickly, he withdrew from her and now had a stern look on his face.

"You must pull yurself together, fraulein Harshwhinney!" the elderly Pegasus stallion neighed. "Vee have a job to do, und all of dis drama is vaiting valuable time! Snap out of it now, SNELL!"

The 'tough love' approach seems to work on Ms. Harshwhinney. After wiping the remaining tears from her eyes, the blonde purple blazer wearing Earth mare returned back to her 'normal' self.

"Of course, you are correct, Professor," she said in a sterner voice, "There is no time for foolish thinking, now, let's get back to the business at hoof, these floor plans! I've decided we will NOT have this invention of yours installed in this building. Regular stairs will suffice. Now, Mr. Grayfeather, what would you suggest for the top floor's roof? Perhaps a number of elevated glass panes to allow for extra natural light to enter?"

Gerrard nodded as his pegasus friend suggested she pull herself together. The griffon was glad to finally be able to move on from her untimely delay. The pity parade was over with the mare finally regaining her composure.

"Yes, it is not the time for foolishness. I will sweep your foolishness under the proverbial rug," Gerrard sternly remarked, knocking a cloud of dust into the air with a powerful flap of a strong black wing. He thought over her comment and nodded in agreement. "I would reserve such a high risk project for a less critical project," he explained calmly to her in a suddenly wise manner, almost as if the wily hybrid was holding back the entire time.

"Elevated glass? I could see that working with a few minor adjustments. We should place glass panels on the roof itself to allow light and moonlight in. It could double as a light source and an access route to the night's sky. Add a few complimentary sources on the walls at critical points and you will have a satisfactory building that will draw the eyes of Canterlot upon your radiance," Gerrard explained formally, the griffon glancing over to the professor with the straightest face he could manage.

Ms. Harshwhinney was relieved that the three of them were now back to focusing at the task at hoof.

"Yes, Mr. Grayfeather. If he used elevated glass in the skylights, they would provide much more light to come through. After all, we need to utilitize as much of the power of the sun's natural light as we can. Professor, do you agree?"

"Javol fraulien," Professor Krashkop said with a nod, "Dat is good design. I vish dere vas a way to get more natural light into dee lower floors of dis building. Gerrard, do you have any suggestions?"