The Temporary Elements

Monochrome

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Maybe if you'd just let us get to a hospital or something, or actually did anything helpful, I would. But right now, you're endangering us and keeping us from our destination." He said, new flames springing up around the ring of water.

(I'd be fine either way, but I know what you mean, we were going just fine.)

Monochrome squeezed her eyes shut.

Well, so much for the hope that he didn't want to murder them. She waited, not sure for what- a sharp burst of pain as the axe sliced through her, or for the sickness to get worse again, or perhaps something else... She heard them talk, and felt a sudden heat, presumably Pyro's magic. Monochrome ventured to peek at the scene... The shape-shifting beast was gone! That was a relief, but now two large problems remained. Monochrome's breathing grew raspy, and she grimaced as agonizing pain shot up her leg and spread farther into her body. The dead stallion she was laying on gave a worried expression.

"Ah, miss... Winter, was it? It's getting worse, could you stall the illness's spread with your magic, at least until we've made it out of the tower?" he asked, seeming genuinely concerned as he adjusted Monochrome's position and began to move on again.

The horde had shared a collective sigh of relief and a moment of embarrassment, and were now on the move again.

"Anything you need to do. I no longer feel pain... I understand if you don't want to tear it off yourself, though." he said, peeling off a dangling strip of flesh from his leg. "Just tell me if you need more."

Monochrome groaned softly, drowsily.

Pyro calmed down after the thing left, and the ring of flames died down until they were gone. He walked along as the group started moving again. He watched Monochrome as the other two talked about halting the spread of the disease.

Monochrome gazed blankly at the Element jewel around her neck. It glimmered slightly in the dim light of the tower. The glimmer was reflected in Monochrome's glazed green eyes. She had nearly been at the point of giving up, simply waiting for the sickness to take her, but the sight of her Element instilled her with a new conviction to live... No! She couldn't let an Element die out, for the sake of everyone in Equestria! She inwardly fought for her strength. She heard Winter mention a potion to halt the disease's spread for an hour. Monochrome slowly lifted herself a little, trembling with effort.

"You need to rest, miss Monochrome." the dead stallion reminded her gently.

((Forgot to mention, guys... Sorry about Xero, but, note, he isn't a random troll; he asked me in a pm if he could join. I'll work with him on fixing the character.))

Monochrome cocked an eyebrow at the odd request, but feebly complied nonetheless.

They had now descended the last staircase, and the exit was in view- with a fraction of the horde already streaming outside through it. As if it was some sort of battle chant, they hummed an ominous, familiar tune...

Tik tik tok tik. Tik tik tok tik.

Pyro left the two mares to mixing up the potion for Monochrome. He wouldn't be any help in the process unless they needed to heat it up at some point. They knew he had fire, they would ask if they needed it.

He focused on the walk as they finally reached the exit to the tower. The undead were doing some sort of chant that sounded like a clock of some sort. He didn't mind. As long as they didn't attack, or plan to attack, anypony, he didn't really care what they did.

(Alright. I'll be fine with him joining as soon as you two fix the character.)

((Yeah, he realized he went overboard on that. It should be better when he comes back.))

They pushed through to the exit. The stallion carrying Monochrome paused for a moment, taking in the fresh air and scenery he hadn't experienced in so long. The remainder of his face bore a slight dreamy smile, but he quickly shook his head and staggered onwards. More layers of sound began to rise from the horde, now making it more recognizable as the eerie music the faceless fillies in the tower had played.

Tik tik tok tik. Tik tik tok tik.

La da, la da, la da da da, da da. La da, la da, la da da da, da da.

Monochrome perked her ears up. The tune, despite being uttered by a herd of vengeful cadavers, was oddly calming. She swayed slightly in time to its beat.

Knowing what exactly Winter had put into that potion, Monochrome wrinkled her nose for a moment in disgust, but, preferring drinking spit and flesh to dying, slowly lifted the bottle to her lips and chugged it down. It had a strange and kind of gross flavor. Well, at least it seemed to be taking effect, for now anyways... The pain was fading.

The stallion nodded a bit.

"Alright, hopefully that will sustain her for a while. But, if all else fails... Well, I've got a last-resort plan for her, should we need it." he remarked. "Now... What to do about those poor souls..." he added, gesturing towards the group of dead ahead of them.

Winter had finished the potion, and Monochrome had drunk it, so if it worked, they would have more time to get help for Monochrome. Pyro glanced at the dead stallion, worrying about what this last resort plan was that he had for Monochrome.

He looked at the dead ahead of him as the stallion asked what they would do about them. They definitely didn't have time to talk these ones down, even all at once, assuming that would work. They probably didn't have time to fight them all either, though that wouldn't take as long as talking. He couldn't really teleport the group across, since he didn't know how far he would need to go, or if he had enough energy to go far enough.

"We could just push them out of the way. I'm assuming you don't want to fight them, and I don't think we have enough time to talk them down." Pyro said, keeping his eyes on the obstacle ahead of them.

Monochrome looked over at Pyro.

"But... We've already pushed plenty out of the way. It doesn't really do much to them, other than getting them out of our way. We need to figure out how to get them all to stop this whole 'storm the city' thing and go back to their graves... Only problem is, you're right, we don't have the time to fight them all or to talk them all out of it... If we got far enough ahead we could warn the ponies of the next town, but then what happens when they move onto the next, and the next one after that?" she pondered aloud.

She cast a glance at the stallion carrying her, who sighed and looked around.

"Even if we did have more time, calming all of them with words would be difficult indeed. Not all of them had a certain mare or stallion they particularly miss... In fact, many are quite bitter, having perished alone with nopony loving or knowing them enough to mourn them- these are the ones that would be the toughest, as they don't believe they have a reason to stop, they don't think the owe anything to the living." he remarked.

Pyro looked over at Monochrome as she said that pushing them only got them out of the way. That was the idea, since they needed a way through, and this would create one without wasting time either fighting or talking to every dead pony that got in the way. When Monochrome, the dead stallion, and Winter had spoken, Pyro spoke up.

"Monochrome, that was the idea, to get them out of the way so we could get you help in time. We can warn others that we come across, but I'm not going to spend time fighting or talking to these dead until you are safe from whatever it is that's wrong with you right now. And Winter, not every pony is going to be able to be talked down. While you're busy talking one of them down, do you think the others would wait around for their turn?" Pyro said, pushing down his anger.

"Of course not thats why we should at least try taking them out in groups... look i just want to try this out and if it doesnt work then we'll try something else isn't that how this process should work?"

"I think talking these guys down would require something more personal than talking down an entire group. Either way, we should get some help for Monochrome. After we get her somewhere, we can come back and keep these dead from attacking any innocents." Pyro said.

• 4 weeks later...

Monochrome glanced around. There must be some group driving force, something that kept them going even if some may be having second thoughts, right? Perhaps...

Monochrome's focus faltered. She laid still, her eyes closed and her ears pricked up. The haunting tune chanted by the undead army drifted through the air. Monochrome opened her eyes and looked at the horde again. It was hard to notice in their shambling hobble of a walk, but they almost seemed to be marching in time with the tune they moaned...

"Do... Do any of you see that?" Monochrome asked softly.

The stallion she was laying on followed her gaze to the limping corpses. He stared for a short moment, then nodded a bit.

"The magic that allowed our bodies to roam again is imbued in that song." he remarked. "So we act in time with it."

The melody was becoming higher-pitched at this point, the hums of the dead sounding angrier as they rose, and the pace of their march quickening slightly.

Archived