The Temporary Elements

Monochrome

The hoof felt around for a good hold, then began to heave the rest of its body out of the grave. What rose from the ground was a ghastly sight. It appeared to have once been a stallion long ago, but was now a decaying corpse, parts of it only bone, other parts still with putrid flesh clinging to the bones. It stood up and silently stared at the others for a moment. Winter gasped something strange before passing out, which Monochrome would have asked about if she weren't too busy staring, wide-eyed, back at the sickly creature. Suddenly it spoke, in a raspy growl of a voice.

"Just what brings you here?"

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pyro glanced over at Winter as she fainted. What was that supposed to mean? And why had her horn been glowing? Pyro was distracted by the hoof pulling out what looked to be a half decayed stallion. It didn't seem hostile, but Pyro kept his guard up just in case it attacked.

Then it spoke, asking why they were there. "We were just following the piano music that originated from the piano back there." Pyro said.

The rotting stallion glanced at the piano, then back at the ponies. A few moments of silence ensued, the stallion seeming to be pondering something (well, as far as the ponies could tell from the expression on the remaining bits of his face).

"The song has played...? It must mean... The day has come. Nothing to halt us. Nothing in our way." he said in a lowered voice.

He staggered over to where an old rope dangled from the ceiling, and, with great difficulty, pulled it. The loud toll of a bell resonated through the tower, sending a few fruit bats that must have been resting by the bell into a frenzy of flapping.

Monochrome gave Winter a concerned and puzzled look.

"Uh, right now the dead are rising, and you're concerned about something happening in six months?" she remarked.

"Oh. Well, cud, that makes more sense." Monochrome said.

The decayed stallion emitted a few scratchy sounds, somewhere between a cough and a chuckle.

"But, alas, you brought it upon yourselves. And it is too late to stop it now. The bell has tolled, and it tolls for your kind. The awakening has begun." he said.

The sounds of cracking, scraping, splintering could be heard coming from the floors below.

"Exactly, dear. The temporary ones are powerful enough that that's all that is needed to fill in for the old. But you didn't know that. And now it's too late." the dead stallion chuckled harshly.

Well this wasn't good. It seemed the rotting stallion was actually evil. Wait, of course he was. When had there been a story were the dead rising was a good thing? Never, that's when. At least, he had never heard any. This rotting stallion had caused something to happen six months from now, apparently. At least they had time to figure out what to do about it. By the sound of things, every body in the tower was rising. This wasn't good at all. Pyro stood at the ready in case any of these walking corpses decided to attack the three ponies.

"Ah, but I'm afraid your timing is wrong, miss. We begin now, we have been planning far long enough that we do not need another six months." the stallion remarked. "It's sad, really, this could have been avoided if your kind had any respect for your... Not-so-living."

"Hm. A rare individual you must be. Others are not so sensitive to us. Restless spirits, longing for peace, but are left here to rot and eventually forgotten. And, worse, some won't let us be, robbing our resting places and leaving us worse off than before! No more. Too many times. Your kind will be punished for your wrongdoings. You will understand our strife." the decaying stallion replied, an undertone of sorrow in his voice.

"I'm sorry your afterlife or whatever sucked, but you shouldn't take it out on every living pony. Most of them are innocent, and innocents being threatened is something I can't stand." Pyro said before turning to Winter. "We fight them any way we can. We are the strongest defense Equestria has, we have to keep it safe."

"Hey!" Monochrome said, staring sternly at Winter. "I'm no unicorn psychic or whatever, but listen up! We've got enough. Only six defeated hundreds, maybe thousands of changelings, so why should it be impossible for three to beat a few walking corpses?"

The dead stallion laughed.

"Innocents. A funny word you choose, fiery one. Tell me, how many of these 'innocents' do you know, for a fact, have ever shown a scrap of respect for the dead?" the dead stallion said blankly. "I only ever knew one... But she, like so many before her, forgot us as well."

"How about every pony I know that has lost somepony close to them. Is that enough for you? You can't expect ponies to grieve over you forever, they need to move on with their lives. Just because they don't visit doesn't mean they have forgotten you. Maybe your mare friend couldn't visit you anymore, maybe that's why she stopped coming." Pyro said, getting a little angry at the stallion. He turned to the two mares next. "Monochrome's right, we can do this. I don't care about the odds of success, I'm still going to defend Equestria for as long as I am able, and you should do the same." He said to Winter, hoping she didn't give up that easily on everything.

The stallion glared directly at Pyro, his only remaining eye beginning to show flashes of anger.

"I need not the grief of ponies. That is not what we desire here. Simply a gesture... A flower, a talk, we're not that picky. We do not require attention every day, we understand, as we were once living, that things can come up for periods of time; but, no, that is not the case this time. This time... Decades. Years upon years, and not a single one of us has had a visitor. Not one!" he growled.

At the mention of his "marefriend", the decayed stallion really flared up.

"You wouldn't understand! We were to be together for eternity! At that moment of death, we were to be truly together forever... But fate picked another path. She was revived, snatched from death's cold grip, but I, unfortunately, was not. She is the reason I am restless, the reason I am still here! I waited. I could have done no more loyal gesture. But she left, and I was left to stand waiting for somepony who may never come back to me."

Winter slowly trots up to the stallion not caring that he's mad. "Look please calm down, i understand that you are mad, and I'm sorry that she was taken from you but destroying ponykind won't solve anything, what if she saw you doing this, wouldn't she be very sad that you're like this? Then what happens if she found out that she was the reason of this, huh? wouldn't she hate herself for this." she scoffs lightly. "She wouldn't just hate herself she would hate how she made you turn out. now calm down and realize what you're doing before its to late, be serene and just stop this.

"Like I said, maybe they couldn't visit. Besides, it's not like you're in a central location." Pyro said, responding to the stallion's anger with his own. If things continued like this, more than words would start flying. "I'm sorry she never came back, but how is killing every pony supposed to fix anything? It's not like it will make her run back to you, what's left anyways. If anything, it'll drive her farther away than she already is." He said, on the verge of shouting due to his growing anger. He was not cut out for diplomacy, not at all. Thankfully, Winter gave it a go, and it sounded, to him at least, that she did a better job than him.

The stallion had a look on the remainder of his face similar to that of a cornered wild animal- defiant, angry, but at the same time sad and unsure. His leg nearly fell off as he stomped his hoof frustratedly. His speech became bipolar, as if he was two different ponies speaking at once.

"Oh, my... My Frostflower... But, no, don't you see?! It's too late!"

The stallion seemed to be struggling with himself. If he still had the ability to cry, he very well might have in that moment. Monochrome tentatively stepped towards him.

"This isn't who you were... When you were alive... Is it? Please, find a bit of your old self in your heart." she said softly.

The stallion whipped around and struck Monochrome, the exposed bone of his hoof leaving a large gash on the leg she lifted to protect her face. Monochrome staggered back, and the stallion immediately seemed to regret this action.

Winter was definitely better at this than him. The stallion seemed to react positively to her words, calming down a bit. Then Monochrome tried, and was rewarded with an attack from the stallion. In that instant, Pyro almost lost it. He held himself back as he noticed that the stallion wasn't trying to continue the attack. In fact, he looked rather regretful of the attack. Pyro slowly forced himself to calm down, and his vision slowly cleared. His words obviously weren't helping, so he decided to let the mares calm down the corpse.

Archived