A Peculiar Day Off <Canterlot> [Conor Colton, Kinkamina] <Private>

Conor Colton

Sterling Silver

Days off from work are usually very strange for a Canterlot guard. Most of them seemingly don't know what to do with their time when they're not on duty, and one young cadet, Sterling Silver was no exception; in fact in many ways his case was arguably more aggravating. The inexperienced law-bringer had been only in Canterlot for a short time, a few months at best and was largely devoted to the work he would do in the streets of the grand central city. It made sense to him that he would acquire various friends and or social connections through his work, and that certainly was the case...but sadly his friends were all still on duty which left him very little to do in this occasional absence from his golden armour.

So here we find Sterling in his Canterlot residence, which was nothing really special but at the same time nothing overly bad either, it was a humble abode all things considered. But that didn't stop Sterling from feeling like a trapped rat in his own home. Back and forth he paced in his living room, wondering what he would do with his day. Sterling was rather stubborn in the regard that he had to try and keep himself productive, or he would quickly become irked at small things, as well as himself. Usually his job would help satisfy this need for productivity but, well that wouldn't be the case today.

"Something to do...something to do...." he constantly repeated to himself as he trotted back and forth like a literal train of thought that wasn't going anywhere. He veered from his previously tread hoofsteps and went over to a nearby window, which gave a lovely view out onto the Canterlot marketplace. The stallion continued to think as he observed the outside, wondering just how much of the city he had ever seen; and by extension of his wandering mind, how much of the world he had seen. That's when an idea hit him. The guard's expression became more hopeful as his ears perked up and wiggled slightly at his revelation.

"I'm missing a golden opportunity here! The most beautiful city in Equestria is out there ready to be explored and I'm just sitting here stewing like a vegetable in my own boredom! Well, not this day off!" he stated confidently as he grabbed his coat, slinging it over his back with his mouth and setting out to enjoy his day off, "This day off's gonna be a special one!" he smiled to himself as he made his way to his first destination, the Canterlot Park, ready for anything the city could throw at him...what the rest of the universe could throw at him? Well, that was yet to be seen...

bronzeshines day had been a good one. he walked through the canterlot park with a bandage on his left hoof and a hood. bronzeshine was strange because he would approach people he had never seen before and treat them like lifelong companions. conor calton was no such exception. bronzeshine approached him and said. " hello! " then started waving.

The Park was glowing with the life of Spring. Several different kinds of Flora populated the area, from brilliant Red Roses, to beautiful white lilies. A delightful, smooth breeze blew softly from the east, carrying the faint smells of the town below. The sun was nearing the apex of it's travel through the sky, bathing the sight in a bright, blissful light. The day seemed to be.... a day of days. Something perfect for adventure.

Sterling cantered through the park happily with an inquisitive grin on his face. He could have sworn he had been through this park many, many times on his way to work, but never once did he stop to appreciate the surroundings, and today seemed like a perfect day to do so. Loads of flowers were in season, the weather was amazing, the wind was calm and cooling, and the entire environment just seemed inciting and compelling to the stallion; he would have sooner jumped face-first onto the freshly cut grass and rolled around like a pleased foal if he wasn't so sure he wouldn't get odd looks from everypony. Regardless, Sterling prided himself at being at the right place at the right time a lot of the time but this seemed too good to be true.

Despite this though, the day felt oddly strange, almost mystical. It was a feeling the stallion never really felt before but he chalked it up to simply trying new things, and he liked that idea. He casually observed the wandering wildlife as he strayed from the paved path into a more flora focused area of the park. He smiled almost childishly as he saw several squirrels scurry across the ground followed by small birds just above the stallion's head. It was a simple image but one that pleased him none the less.

Sterling was feeling adventurous, that much could not be debated, however he didn't mind stopping for a moment and just taking in the scenery. He opted to find a nice, relatively out of the way spot in this hilly, tree covered area and sat himself down with a comforting 'thump' noise, followed shortly by a content sigh from the guard pony's mouth as he further observed the vista in front of him. The park was beautiful, almost like a meadow, but above the tall trees you could see the ivory towers of Canterlot contrasting against the green grass and bushy trees, it was truly a sight to behold. He relaxed back, with another content sigh and lay in wait, intending to seek an adventure later; but for now? He simply waited to see if any adventure would come to him, if not, he'd still be pretty relaxed.

• Like 1

The sun shone brightly, and the breeze picked up, and with it, the faint smell of oranges.

The breeze got slowly stronger, and the smell got stronger as it did. Soon, the smell of oranges was nearly overpowering, and the breeze had elevated to a gust. Somehow, a few stray clouds crawled across the sky, blocking the sun ominously. The wind whipped through the trees, battering the flowers and plants. The sky seemed to shake with a unearthly power, the tension was almost palpable. The sound of thunder boomed far off from the mountains.

But just as soon as it started, the chaos stopped. The wind died down almost instantly. The strong smell of orange dissipated. The Tension left the air, and the sky almost seamed to sigh in relief. If somepony had just happened to walk by, they might have thought nothing would be out of ordinary.

• Like 1

Sterling sighed contently from his relaxed position, thinking nothing could ruin his day at this point. Once again, he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time...but this didn't necessarily mean it was always going to yield pleasant or indeed, normal results for him. The stallion felt the wind pick up, and his nostrils flared slightly at the peculiar smell of oranges. He sat up, wondering if some citrus fruit had simply fallen from a tree and conked him on the head, but that seemingly wasn't the case. The scent got stronger and stronger, prompting him to cover his muzzle with a hoof and displaying a rather irritated facial expression.

When the sun began to fade out, Sterling started to feel a vague form of tension. He had no clue why, he had managed through worse storms than this, but yet it felt different than any freak weather occurrence, and it made him a tad nervous. The sound of the wind picking up speed and smashing around the flora causing him to bunch up rather tightly, keeping his hooves close to himself as he felt the very ground beneath him vibrate and shake, "Okaay, seriously getting creepy now!" he exclaimed, feeling a temptation to simply high tail it out of there.

However as soon as the odd weather came, it vanished, like it was literally dropped and crashed against the floor. Sterling, wondering what in the hay just happened stood up cautiously. He wasn't a very superstitious pony, nor did he believe that elements of the supernatural would ever seemingly invade his life...regardless he began pacing back to a hopefully less hectic spot of the park.

"Okay...that was way too weird...have I gone mad or something?" he wondered as he walked.

• Like 1

A strong, Musical voice spoke up from beside him. "Of Course not. Unless.... Everypony here is Mad, and you're the only sane one, in which Case, I sure hope not."

From you're left walked a Towering Draconequus, It's Hair was Pure white, and long at that, peculiarly styled to one side.The Draconequus smiled to you, a slightly disturbing Grin. She appeared female, although how, one could not be sure.

She looked around, Busying herself with her surroundings, and taking a deep breath. She mumbled something under her breath, Snapping her fingers. A small, Orange notebook with black borders Materialized instantly in her paw. She opened it, and with a pen she pulled from her hair, began Writing things, mumbling things under her breath....

• 3 weeks later...

Sterling breathed a sigh of relief as he heard a rather comforting voice, slumping his shoulders slightly forwards in an attempt at relaxation, his ears flattening to his head. Then he realised the more sinister implications of a random mysterious voice behind him. His ears perked up without hesitation as his eyes widened and he slowly turned his head, catching a glimpse of the towering female figure to his left. The stallion recoiled backwards, backing up against a tree with a fearful expression of timidity, hardly being able to believe what he was seeing.

At this point Sterling wondered if he had just gone mad, he questioned whether or not such a creature could even exist, and wondered what in the hay it was doing right here! In front of him! The rather sinister looking grin from the figure didn't help matters much either, causing the guard to back up even more against this improvised protection of bark and leaves. He had never considered himself to be a cowardly stallion, but...this was truly something else. His shaky breathing began to calm, lifting a hoof to wipe some sweat from his brow he stuttered out a feeble greeting.

"Uh...um...hello...there. I don't think...I'm mad but....what I'm seeing right now gives me...reason to the c-contrary...who're you...?"

She didn't answer right away, instead continuing to jot things down. After a minute She stopped, but still mumbled a few things to herself. "... and judging by his reaction, Either Draconequui are a rare, or non existent sight, or I am reminiscent of another Draconequus this world might have had the displeasure of experiencing... " Her attention returning to her current situation. She turned back to the Stallion, approaching his simplistic wooden defense with care. "You're right, a greeting is in order. Where are my manners..." She put the pen back in her hair, extending her Paw in greeting. "I will gratefully assume by 'Who', you are asking my name, not my title, or existence. I Have Gone by Many Names in my travels, but the one given to me by birth, of which I have... well... taken a liking to, I will provide. I am Errare Diane Draconequus, And it is quite the Mid-Pleasure to meet you." Errare smiled again, this one in more a comforting manner.

• 1 month later...

With his back firmly pressed against the somewhat comforting bark of a nearby tree, Sterling felt he only had one real choice in this situation. If his extended hoof could be described as anything it would likely have been compared to a large wooden plank, seemingly too long to even keep upright with just one hoof supporting it. Regardless he rigidly and briefly shook this creatures paw; that last thought sending more unpleasant thoughts into his mind than it had any right to. He would have gulped again if he wasn't practically breathless. Also what the heck does a mid-pleasure even mean?! He was very, very confused right now.

"No no...pl-pleasure's all mine, Errare..."...the name didn't exactly roll off his tongue with gaiety.

He felt he couldn't avoid the obvious any more, and was oddly compelled by the creature's seemingly sweet smile, "...Why...why did you uh...freak me out?...And...why are you...here, standing, in a park...with me?" he said somewhat frantically, picking his words wisely.

Another Draconequui, Identical to the one before him, stepped out from behind him, except... dressed in what could be said a game show hosts clothes; a bright blue tuxedo with a vibrant black top hat. It spoke into a invisible microphone. "A excellent question! We'll have answers to this, and more questions, right after these short messages!" The Double popped into a small pile of confetti, prompting the original to step forward to speak. "Why I freaked you out is not a easy question to answer. My entry into this world, and many others, is a hard thing to do silently. I've probably alerted this worlds versions of Celestia, or Luna." She looked around, a little worried. "... Something I might have to do something about soon. But as the your other question..." She rose a hand, and then suddenly stuck it through her midsection. It made no sound, no wound.... it almost seemed... to unreal. "No need to worry about being caught with me. Your the only one who can see me, at this time. And why? Well... I make it a habit to make a few friends in every world I visit." She smiled, removing her hand.