The Edge [Open]

Duskfall

Balador rolled his eyes. "I've been watching you for a while. Quite a good messenger you are." He looked at his large golden claws nonchalantly. "In fact, I would like to know more about what exactly you are doing."

...While this griffon knew Duskfall's name, Duskfall didn't know the griffon. Which wasn't doing anything to make Figment feel any better about the situation. Though, he had to resist scoffing at the other changeling's move to protect him. As if he needed protection from a one winged drone. Or, maybe he was just protecting Honey Smiles... In which case, he appreciated Duskfall playing along with his cover. Either way, he listened and flew behind him.

"Uhm...wow...you'd really protect a pony?", he asked...though only mostly in-character--he was curious what Duskfall's response would be. He then looked back to the griffon. "Uh...you already know..! He's...doing messenger stuff!"

Balador gave the changeling an icy glare. "If your trying to mock me, you might as well start running. I meant, I would like to know more about the exact job." He looked back at Duskfall, hopefully his contacts were right and this one would be the one to use.

"I meant, I would like to know more about the exact job." Duskfall raised an eyebrow, or at least as much as a changeling could do. Could this Gryphon be trying to hire him? As far Duskfall knew, relations between the changelings and the gryphons were almost nonexistent, and therefore were almost completely neutral and of indifference. But what is a gryphon doing in Greater Equestrian borders?

"Uh...you already know..! He's...doing messenger stuff!" Duskfall raised a hoof to slap himself in the slap, but stopped himself halfway. "You see this package? I'm delivering it to somepony here in Canterlot. Came all the way from Baltimare."

Duskfall craned his head around to respond to Figment's question, albeit quietly. "And yes, unless they were trying to kill me or something."

"Uh..! Nono, sir, I wasn't..!" Well, obviously he wasn't helping the situation. Whatever it might be. This was all very strange...stranger than a rogue changeling who wanted to be a glorified mailman, even. For now, he'd just...avoid talking at the griffon any more, looking to Duskfall instead.

"You came all that way just to deliver that? Wow..!" At this point, he was beginning to wonder if it was even worthwhile stalking after and observing Duskfall. Though...he was curious to see how this griffon would behave towards their species.

"From Baltimare eh? Hm...well then, I'm going to accompany you on this mission." He said in a matter of fact tone. His light armor seemed to glisten in the sunlight, and an odd symbol now appeared on the front of his armor. It was a rose on a shield. The symbol seemed to bask those around him in a warm bath of light, though what that reason was, is unknown to those who know what it means.

"From Baltimare eh? Hm...well then, I'm going to accompany you on this mission."

Duskfall simply grunted in affirmation as he cautiously turned toward his intended path. Then he noticed himself surround in a bath of a calming light. . . aura. . . Duskfall had no idea what it was. He had a nagging. "Hmmm."

"What do you guys think? Down the pipe or down the stairs?" Duskfall said as he turned to two companions. "I think going down the pipe would be more fun for me, but we could attract less attention going in. . . unless we happen to tun into somepony."

Figment nearly flinched at the griffin's magic...or whatever. Nothing really seemed to happen though. Griffons seemed even stranger than ponies... Just so be slightly more safe, he stuck near Duskfall. Though, he gave the changeling an odd look at his question...

He was tempted to suggest he simply use a disguise again, so they could simply use the stairs like any sane drones would do, but he doubted Duskfall would listen. He pondered a moment. "Uhm...well, if you'd have more fun, let's do the pipe thing..!"

"The pipe does seem like the best answer." Balador agreed. The pipe idea was interesting. Balador already knew that Dusk had travel this way before, so he didn't know why he was surprised.

(Neo, tis not a ventilation pipe, but a water/gas pipe. You might wanna change that.)

------------------------------

"Very well then. Try not to attraction attention. I'd rather not have the Royal Guard up my plot." Duskfall trotted to the pipe, although in the hurried pace. With his hooves secured tightly at the top of the pipe, he vaulted over the edge and onto the pipe. His destination was the eighth floor. At the top they were just above the twelfth floor. That's means he'd have to clear about a 40 feet drop. Duskfall loosened his grip on the pipe, and began to slide down very rapidly. At 45 feet down, Duskfall tightened his grip.

"Five feet off. . . ****. I need to practice more." Duskfall mutter some more incoherent self-disappointments before he adjusted his height and leveled with the bottom of a window sill. Grunting, he lept from the pipe to grabbed onto the window sill, leaving him hanging on its edge. With another grunt, he hoisted himself onto his hind legs and onto the window, with his forehooves over the top of the window frame. After securing himself, Duskfall shimmied to the right edge of the window. The target should be 7 rooms from the left side. Duskfall made a shot hop to the next window, again taking his time to secure himself before shimmying to the edge, and then leaping to the next window. At the destination window, Duskfall shimmied to the left of the window and kicked the window lightly, but hard enough to make a fairly loud banging noise.

"Try not embarrass yourselves." Duskfall said without looking back at his companions.

"Eheh, coming from the changeling with no disguise!", he teased in response to Duskfall's request. Though, at this point, Figment had given up hope on getting through this drone's thick skull. There was only so much he could do to help a rogue changeling. Once again, while Duskfall traveled in an elaborate fashion, he simply flew after him...and ready to catch him if he had to. He almost hoped he'd slip up, just so he could possibly reinforce some trust in him...

When he reached the window, Honey observed closely, curious as to how the coming interaction would unfold. This could be some useful research for him to write down...

After a few more seconds of waiting, the window unlocked itself with a *CLICK*. At this, he unlatched the package from his back while the window was being lifted open by a pony inside the room. A middle-aged mare put her head out the window, looking obviously peeved. When she laid eyes on Duskfall, her look of annoyance immediately turned to that of fright. A moment later, however, her fright subdued itself.

"Duskfall, I presume?" Her voice carried a hint of amusement. "My daughter spoke highly of your services in her letters to me and she appears to being doing well enough. So you have my trust. . . minimally. Do you really. . . run on top of roofs? I can't imagine any sane pony doing frolicking amongst the rooftops just to be a mailpony."

The mare looked behind Duskfall. "Would they happened to be. . ."

Duskfall spoke up while the mare was wondering her words. He gave a mild smile. "Just some guys I met along the way. I guess they're interested in what I do as much as you."

"Hmm. Well since you are here, I supposed you've come to deliver something? My husband and I are in somewhat of a hurry." Must be the vacation his client was talking about. Considering the recipient's haste, Duskfall produced the package he had been carrying.

"It's from your daughter. They've got a beautiful family going on; I think you'd be proud." Duskfall laid the package down on the window sill. The mare smiled at the package and brought it inside the building. She turned back to Duskfall with a serious expression.

"If I find out you've been fooling with Sharpy-"

Duskfall cut her off, "Don't worry ma'am. I'm haven't and I won't. You take care okay?"

The mare seemed to accept Duskfall's statement and simply closed the window. It locked with a *CLICK*. Not even a goodbye. . . Well at least she seemed to trust him a little bit: it's a first step. Infact, it was more than he could had hoped for, considering that this mare probably had been traumatized to some extent by the invasion. Luckily his client had been exchanging letters to her, which had obviously worked in his favor during this first encounter. Gaining a pony's trust was always the hardest part. Not that Duskfall was any bit annoyed or agitated at that fact. It's just the way things were, especially considering what Chrysalis had done to Canterlot. Duskfall took a deep breathe before turning back to his shadows.

"So, what did you think?" He plainly asked.

• 3 months later...

Archived