The Empty Foal Infection (Open)

Monochrome

"You definitely do not want them to touch you. Let me see.... Ah, over there. To your left, on the edge of the crowd. Yes, the sick-looking one without a gas mask. Watch her, and you'll see what happens if you do allow one to touch you." Mechanical Madness said gravely. Sure enough, the poor mare underwent the same transformation as the stallion the first three had watched earlier. She coughed and gagged for a moment, then let out a ghastly cry of "Mummy...?", and the transformation had begun. The muzzle of the gas mask forced its way out of her mouth and fused to her face, her eyes grew into the wide, dark lenses of the mask, and the skin of her face followed suit. She was one of them now. Mechanical Madness suddenly snapped his attention to another uninfected pony, shouting at all the infected ones. "The fool's going to get us all infected!" Mechanical Madness exclaimed hotly.

"I've been observing them since I first saw them. The first sign is a scar on their left front hoof, and an appearance of sickness. If anypony you meet has those, do not, under ANY circumstances, allow them to touch you, even if they appear to be in pain." Mechanical Madness informed all of the uninfected ponies that had gathered.

"Well, first, we need to capture one and make our way back to my lab without getting ourselves infected. If we can't capture one, we still need to make it back to my lab." Mechanical Madness said, picking up the rope and looking around. "That one should do." he added, seeming to have targeted a little foal that was straying from the crowd. Straightening the gloves he had put on earlier, he crept up behind the infected little pony and, a bit wobbly, raised himself to his hind legs to slip the rope around its neck. Success! Mechanical Madness got back on all fours and grabbed the free end of the rope in his mouth, coaxing his catch along in a surprisingly gentle manner.

"I just told you, I've been observing them since they appeared! What exactly do you think anypony could possibly gain from... THIS?" Mechanical Madness huffed, gesturing towards the little foal at the other end of his rope. "Mummy? Muuuuuummmmmyyyyy...." it droned eerily.

"Well, we need to get to my lab and study it. Maybe I can find out what this is and how to cure it." Mechanical Madness said, glancing back at the foal again. The ponies, luckily, managed to edge their way around the infected ones without getting touched. After a bit of a walk, they reached a desolate old mansion in the forest, and Mech proceeded to open the door and invite everypony inside after he had herded the infected foal inside. He lead them all down a hallway and into a room full of various scientific equipment, oddities, and what must have been genetic experiments gone wrong. near the back was a door with a dog door installed in it. "Physical Dementia!" Mechanical Madness called, glancing about for something. Soon, his gaze fell on an awful sight. Something sat in the corner; when it turned around, it was a horrifying sight. A creature that could only be described as the front halves of two foals stitched together at the stomach was what the uninfected ponies saw... But they also saw that one head looked sick and the other already had a gas mask. The ever-repeated sayings were scrawled all over the wall in black ink around them. "Oh, no!" Mechanical Madness exclaimed, stepping towards the strange little creature. "My poor little creation... But how? I locked all the doors and windows, including the dog door! How could this happen?!" he said, growing panicked. The half of the creature that wasn't fully infected yet, which appeared to be female by its face, looked up with a pained expression and coughed.

"How did this happen too you Physical Dementia can you please tell me?" Booksalot asks Physical Dementia nicelly

((OOC: Booksalot can get information from any pony so please have the less infected half answer before the transformation happens :)))

"Physical Dementia can't talk. Never has been able to..." Mechanical Madness remarked, an undertone of sadness in his voice. He suddenly seemed to have an idea. "But it can write. And draw." he breathed. He scrambled about the lab and soon returned. He passed a scroll and a pot of ink to the poor little creature, and it seemed to know what to do. It feebly dipped its little hoof in the ink and proceeded to draw a scribbly picture of something, finishing just in time. As soon as it was finished, it was overcome with coughs and gags that made its whole body tremble, and the transformation overtook the other head. Mechanical Madness stood, solemnly silent. "Fireball... Fireball and his friends must have been playing in my lab again! This picture... Oh, from all I can tell, it looks like a broken container of some sort... But what?" he muttered thoughtfully. He froze completely. "What if Fireball's accident made him the original?" he breathed.

Mechanical Madness nodded briskly, then scurried around, looking for anything broken, and he soon found something. Near to the lab entrance stood a large glass tube, big enough to comfortably hold a pony. The glass was shattered and spread across the floor, and some things on the control panel were smashed in. "This project? But.... No, couldn't be this that caused it. A benevolent experiment. Tiny, airborne nanobots made to patch up injuries for those in battle and eventually the general public. They're all over now, they have probably even gotten into the air outside and into town. Look." Mechanical Madness said, waving a hoof in the air. Small, glowing yellow particles lit up around it, then faded to invisibility again as he put his hoof down. "I have to find Fireball." Mechanical Madness exclaimed decidedly, tying the foal on the rope up to a nearby railing. He dashed out of the lab and skidded around the corner into another hallway, which had three doors down it. He carefully opened the first door and stepped inside. "Fireball?" he called dubiously. No answer. He exited and opened the next door, peeking in. Nopony was visible, just a couple of guest beds and a radio. Mechanical Madness slowly stepped in. "Fireball...?" he called again. The radio suddenly switched on, emitting static. Suddenly, growing louder and louder, through the static they could hear those same ominous cries. "Are you my mummy? Muuuuummmyyy.... Mummy?"

"Presumably, Physical Dementia won't be able to get far. If both minds are set on only one thing, they are likely to not realize that they are attached and try to go separate ways. As for Fireball... Well, he and his two friends are just some young ones who I found wandering about in the forest. I suppose you could say I've adopted them. They took up residence in these guest rooms." Mechanical Madness explained, casting an uneasy glance at the radio. "But... This radio isn't plugged in." he added quietly. The radio continued to emit the ominous cries.