Cooling Pad Fan Malfunction

Lux

Hello all.

So recently the fan in my cooling pad for my laptop stopped running (It's a Cool Master cooling pad). The power was still on as the blue LED lights inside were lit So I checked the fan and for some reason one of the plastic blades gets jammed in one of the openings in the bottom of the pad (the long slats are used to pull air into the pad and out the top to cool the laptop). The weirdest thing is it's only one particular blade, the others clearing the openings.

So has this ever happened to any of you before where a certain blade of a fan gets jammed? If so, is there a way to adjust the blade so it doesn't keep jamming?"

You should be able to dismantle the cooling pad itself using a precision phillips screwdriver, then adjust the screws holding the fan in place. There's almost no risk in doing this, so long as the device is off and disconnected from your laptop. Make sure you don't tug too hard on any cables within the pad itself, as they're probably not held very firmly in place.

Thanks. I did try and adjust the screws to no avail.

Actually I found out what it was last night. Apparently something happened to one of the ball bearings in the fan making the one blade be pushed down enough to get caught in a slat below. I think if I just trim the one blade it won't catch. Wish me luck as I'm not the most techy person out there.

If that doesn't work, you should just be able to order in a fan of the same size and install it yourself. Most cooling pads actually use standard 100-350mm case fans, because those are already made for cheap by somebody else.

Thanks again.

I trimmed the fan and am testing it with the covering on. Hopefully that will fix it. If not, then buying a fan like you said will be an option.