TwoBits

Nightflight_zps043cb512.png

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Nightflight

Sex: Female

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Light golden-brown

Coat: The dusty grey color of charcoal

Mane/Tail: Ebony black; the mane is cut short, with a choppy forelock and a general appearance of tousled shorn edges. The tail follows in the same suit, though remains at full length.

Physique: Wiry, lean, and nimble; just a little below average height. Very physically fit, though ranking more in the the "speed, agility, and endurance" side than "sheer force of strength".

Residence: Las Pegasus

Occupation: Nighttime thrill-seeker and explorer; cloud surfing supervisor for a regular income

Cutie Mark: a black silhouette of an outstretched wing, surrounded with three small white stars

History: Nightflight was but a wee little schoolfilly the weekend she, her parents, and a couple of other pegasi with their foals went group camping in the Allacor mountains. Nightie was a reclusive little filly, preferring to entertain herself rather than spend much time mingling with other ponies--but she was rather adventurous, and on their second night at the campsite the two other foals did manage to talk her into sneaking away for an unsupervised exploration of the mountains while their parents slept. After some minutes it became apparent the other foals were approaching their adventurous thresholds, as they stuck mainly to the ground and the lower branches of what trees were around--Nightflight, however, continued to venture boldly higher and higher, right up near the top of the tree line. She had barely spent two minutes looking out over the mountains from a treetop before a strong gust suddenly blew in, lifted her up, and tossed her wildly back at the trees, much to the horror of the other foals watching.

Frightened, Nightie acted on first impulse, unfurled her wings and shifted her weight to veer aside, barely avoiding a collision with a tree trunk. And the next. And the one after that. All other thought was driven from her mind as the filly focused only on what was immediately in front of her, twisting, swerving, and looping past all night-shadowed obstacles and danger with a dexterity and instinct usually heard of only in practiced mares and stallions. Even after she was able to slow her momentum and come to a shaken landing safe on the ground, Nightflight stood frozen for a few moments, head swimming with the roaring thrill and rush of racing and navigating almost blind through an unknown environment, alone in the cold shadows of night with the wind's chill surging through her feathers and coat. Far from being terrified by the experience, Nightie found that she had LOVED it. Somehow, the uncertainty and adrenaline of what had just happened struck a chord in the young filly, igniting a craving for thrill and excitement that she had never known she possessed. In that moment she was finally brought back down to earth by a silvery glow building at her flank, and she turned her head to find her cutie mark materializing in what remained of its fading light.

From then on, even after she grew enough to move out on her own and get a day job helping supervise Las Pegasus' cloud surfing attraction, she would spend her nights heading out of town to find newer, riskier environments and places to race through in the moonlight, over time honing her courage and reflexes enough to begin considering making a living off of it somehow. So far she has yet to think of how to make it happen, though her nighttime talents make her a valuable contributor to the occasional nocturnal search and rescue down below the clouds.

Character Summary: Nightflight is--perhaps not surprisingly--a night owl. She feels her best when the stars show themselves in the sky, when all other ponies have fallen asleep and the world is peaceful and cloaked in shadow and silver moonlight. Of course, all her nighttime escapades do leave her rather tired during the day, and while she can stay awake enough to function at her job she becomes somewhat slow, dull, and indisposed to chatter, tending to spend most of her free daytime reading or eating. Other ponies will find it far easier to befriend her after the sun goes down, when her personality livens and she becomes relaxed and humorous--or even a bit of a smart-aleck, when she's feeling bold or riled up enough. Although Nightflight can be sociable and enjoy friendly and rambunctious company to a point, what she truly values is those cathartic nights spent alone, testing her limits or even just admiring a moonlit landscape from the freedom of the skies. In this vein, one of her eventual goals (perhaps the only clearly defined one right now, to be honest) is to someday make a cross-country flight across Equestria, beyond the Badlands and to the northern tundra, and then back again--all by the gentle light of Princess Luna's moon and stars.

Nightflight shies away from participating in league sports, preferring to utilize her specialized talent for her own personal enjoyment. She still makes a point of keeping up an exercise regime, however, out of necessity for both her day job and her less organized nocturnal ventures (plus, she's come to take a fair bit of pride in her lean and healthy physique, and is not about to let it collect idle bulk anytime soon!) That said, to the surprise of some starting to know her, she DOES also enjoy her fair share of reading (primarily fantasies or comedic novels, with some literary masterworks sprinkled in), browsing comics, and even a little bit of tabletop dice-rolling, and while far from being a master of any she can certainly surprise ponies sometimes with the gleeful, geeky-grinning references and explanations she spouts out from time to time.

Hi Twobits! I'm not a roleplay helper or anything like that, but I can give you some suggestions for your application into World of Equeatria.

So far I really like this character, I don't know about the cloud surfing, I've never heard of cloud surfing, so I don't really have anything to say about it. I think the only thing I can suggest is to add (WIP) after the character name if your still working on it, or to add (Ready) if your ready for it to be reviewed. Other than that, I think this character is fairly interesting. :)

Thanks for chiming in, Neo!

I did check the WIP tag while writing this post, but now that I look at the thread listing I can kind of see how it might be a bit hard to catch right away. I'll go ahead and edit this app's status into the title for easier clarification. Also I remember seeing in the Las Pegasus lore thread how cloud surfing was a high altitude sport popular in the Upper Cloud district, so I made the decision to go ahead and say Nightie helps to keep that running smoothly for her job.

Sorry for the delay, busy times! First off, I really like your avatar. Cute pony. As for the app, much of it is acceptable. Only a few things need to be changed and I can stamp it.

1- Please use paragraphs. It was a pain to read,.

2- Please change the use of mares in the following to fillies: "usually heard of only in practiced mares and colts"

Once we have that squared away, you're good to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Expanded on the Character section, made some tweaks to Physique and History, and fixed a few grammatical things throughout that've been bugging me! I believe the new and improved Nightflight is now ready for a second review. Thanks kindly for moving this back to Applications for me, Armony! :)

Archived