Lost Beyond the Smokestacks, Beyond the City

Halide

It began not with a bang, nor a whimper - it began with a spell. A teleportation spell, one which the regal Fancy Pants had entrusted the caster with. For their sake, the caster shall go un-named. It hadn't gone terribly wrong - all his parts were still there, he hadn't found himself hundreds of feet above jagged rock, or any other terrible fate that might have awaited him. No, instead, it had simply left him stranded. He did not know where. He did not know how far he'd gone. He did not know how he'd get back. After all, his own spellcasting wasn't nearly enough to move him to cities he couldn't even see; how could he be expected to match the spellcasting of a unicorn far stronger than himself? No, he suspected he might have to deal with this himself.

It was a white, desolate sort of place, one that would've hidden him if not for his thick, blue velvet cloak. But up there, up past his horn, way up in the sky, it had been snowing for hours, and he just didn't know why. The day was getting colder, and there was some cause for alarm - so he drew up his cloak, tried to think of a plan, and kept warm. He had plenty of magical strength left in him, but much of it had far greater domestic use than survival. Mailing letters, delicate manipulation of small things, applying a cool touch to one's brow, a few memory spells - nothing terribly suited for keeping oneself out of the ice and chill of winter weather. But, with a little luck, he'd had the parchment and a bit of quill with him. Turning his back to the firm, constant breeze that drifted through the icy endlessness, Fancy Pants scribed a missive.

"To whomever finds this letter :

My name is Fancy Pants - A statespony of Canterlot. I apologize for the brevity and the urgency of this missive, should it find you, but I am in great need. I am lost somewhere very snowy and very cold, and I cannot see a soul or a building for a long canter about me. I smell salt on the air - perhaps I am near the coast. I hope I am still on Equestria - Celestia save me if I am not. Should you be reading this, please take it to a guard, or come find me yourself if you've the means. I promise there will be a reward for this, should you or anyone you've called for find me.

Hoping to see you soon -

Fancy Pants"

With a bit of a smile, he read the missive over briefly, slightly bemoaning the somewhat sardonic ending he'd attached to his plea for assistance. Considering it good enough for the purpose, he made two more, then sent them magically whizzing off to - well, he hoped somewhere that they might be found. He wasn't sure where they'd end up. He wasn't sure if they'd end up anywhere that someone might find him. His only hope was to trek on and make himself obvious in the meantime.

Alexandrite Tilt grimaced bitterly as the chilling cold bombarded her as she trudged gradually through the seemingly endless snows. Her body felt numb under the cold and the armor she wore, though she retained the strength to press ahead. Her reputation in the Empire was mostly as an athlete and as a showmare, but it was her job as a defender that she took the most seriously. A loss at the joust was quickly forgotten, but losses when others were depending on her hung around her forever. Perhaps part of it was just guilt over the times in her recent memories where she had failed, but for the sake of protecting her fellow pony, she was willing to push herself to any extreme.

So it were with this current task. A northbound wind had helped carry a magically driven note to the Crystal Empire which explained within that a stallion was lost and isolated somewhere in the snowy wildernesses. Following the instructions on the note a civilian had taken it immediately to the Imperial Guard. Alexandrite had been quick to volunteer to complete the task and had set off at once after packing provisions.

The ponies of the Empire respected the snows that surrounded them on all sides. It was only through magical means that the harshness of the arctic region didn't swallow them up entirely. Few crystal ponies even thought to seriously challenge the region on hoof for the danger of it. With somepony's life on the line, however, there wasn't much of a choice. It fell on the willing to risk their lives for the sake of others. Alexandrite was more used to the cold than most of them. She challenged it regularly to keep her senses sharp and her body fit. She had survived for days in that unforgiving environment and had confidence she could rescue a pony stranded out there in the snow. She was determined to reach this pony and reach him before it was too late.

It had been several hours now since Alexandrite had set off from the Empire. The message had come from the south, indicating the pony was lost somewhere in the region between the Empire and Equestria. Moreover, the smell of the sea mentioned in the note was an even bigger clue as to the pony's whereabouts. Alexandrite had started the journey by train before embarking into the wintry cold on hoof, wearing her armor lined with wool. She had galloped off in the direction of the coast, before starting south, looking for signs of life. There was personal danger for her in searching out here on her own, but she was not prepared to let it deter her. The pack on her back was well stocked, with a tent, food enough for days, maps of the area, emergency flares and an extra wool scarf. Whenever she found the missing pony, she was confident it would be in her ability to guide him back to the nearest center of civilization.

"Fancy Pants!" she called the name on the message out periodically, hoping for a response. When none would come, she'd just continue her journey southward, toward Equestria. Limited visibility and continuing snowfall made the trip difficult, and night would bring with it only a deeper chill. This was not a place where anypony could survive on their own very long Both her and the one she sought faced a very real danger. She needed to find him and find him soon.

"Fancy Pants!" she repeated in a louder voice after several more minutes of searching. She could smell the sea in the air just as he could when he wrote the letter. She only hoped that meant he was close.

Moments passed, melding into minutes. Minutes passed and passed, gathering in number, rolling up into an hour. And hours passed into what felt like an eternity of frostbite and dismal cold. Fancy Pants was glad that he was the sort of pony who wore full and proper outfits before being seen in public, and briefly shuddered to think what might've become of anypony who dressed minimally, if at all. No, he was rather glad for his outfit and his cloak; if he'd known he'd be out in such bitter, awful frost he would most certainly have brought a decent parka, but at least the wind didn't cut through to his bones like this.

Still, the regal stallion trod on, leaving a cleft in the snow behind him, kicking his legs in hopes of making his drugery all the more obvious. Icicles sprinkled and glistened in his wake, collecting and tumbling from his iceburnt moustache and his dimly-lit horn. If someone were to ask him why he kept walking through the snow, he wouldn't have had a decent answer; he simply walked because of some deep-rooted instinct that told him to press on, as though to stay still would bring him the worst of ill fortunes. He thought of his warm hearth at home, the dozens of snug and cozy coats he owned, the supple velvet robe he kept for eveningwear, and his rather distant quilted duvet. "Come on now, Fancy Pants", he murmured to himself. "You'll never see hide nor hair of your warm, quiet home or your delightful fireplace if you don't keep on. Just think of the... Hachoo! Oh drat. Think of the study, the charming lounge and the welcoming front hall. Think of how much warmer they are, and keep moving, lest you never admire them again. I'd be terribly upset if we didn't get back to them, and I hardly want that now, do I?"

As his temperature began to dip, he started to wander from side to side, the trail in his wake becoming twisted and unevened by a chilled stupor. His motivational murmuring became less focused and a littler softer-headed as he cleft his way through the gathering snow, his body shuddering and shivering through the blustering gale. He'd forgotten the letters he'd sent by now, considering them a distant gamble after the first two hours of his aimless trek. Still, he shook himself from time to time, rattling the snow off of his back and letting his deep blue cloak show clearly amidst the white powder. A keen eye might have spotted him at one end of his messy trail through the snow, but his ears were too numb and his head too foggy to have registered the distant calling as anything more than his imagination wishing upon the howling wind.

• 2 weeks later...
No responses came to the crystal mare's repeated calls. She was beginning to get discouraged. She had been out in the snow for a while, and though the wool lining her armor helped to keep her warm, the harsh and cutting wind was the sort that could tear through any defense if given enough time. As each moment passed, Alexandrite became increasingly concerned. The longer she went without finding the lost pony, the more danger she was in herself. Sure, she had her emergency flares, but in this remote region, in this weather, it was a shot in the dark if they would actually be spotted or not, and even if they were it could be hours before anypony responded.

Truthfully, it was probably the misfortune of this Fancy Pants that his call for help found its way to the empire. The right unicorn would have more tools to fight the elements while a pegasus would be able to cover ground more quicker, at least until the elements had them grounded. Alexandrite had neither unicorn magic nor wings, but she did have some things to her advantage. She was an athlete and a defender. She had trained herself, both body and mind. She knew and understood her own limits better than anyone. More over, she did not believe in just giving up when presented with a challenge. She would endure. Personal failure was not something she could forgive.

Yet, after so long spent in the snowy wilderness, the mare found not a trace of life. A niggling part of her mind told her it was probably too late. An unprepared pony, a statespony used to a pampered life--it only followed that such a stallion would not last long in such an unforgiving place as this. The pony she was looking for very well could have already expired somewhere in the drifts with a cover of fresh snow already having buried the evidence. It was a frighteningly real possibility... but even so, Alexandrite couldn't let herself believe it. Not yet. She was determined to trudge along until she found at least something--some piece of evidence linked to this lost stallion. It was her obligation, but more importantly it was her mission.

That was when, suddenly, she noticed something. It was faint, but it could still be made out in the snow. There were hoof tracks... a trail of them. She nearly overlooked them as the fresh snow made them harder to notice, but as she drew closer, it was impossible to mistake what they were. More over, the trail itself was peculiar. The movements were erratic. This told her she had to hurry. The lost stallion was growing addled by the elements. If his mind gave out, if he collapsed in the snow and drifted to sleep, that would be the end of it. Recognizing how desperate the situation could be, Alexandrite found her reserve of energy and put it to use. She galloped along, following the disoriented trail of steps as best as she could. Then, finally, she spotted something at the end of it.

"Thank Celestia. I am not too late," she started to herself as she stopped momentarily with the stallion in sight. She then cantered the remaining distance until she was before him.

"My good sir, I am Alexandrite Tilt of the Crystal Imperial Guard. I come in response to the distress call you sent," she started in as steady a voice as she could. She recognized he'd likely not comprehend her in this state. "Please, come with me. I will ensure that you survive this terrible ordeal," she added as she took the wool scarf she had and wrapped it around his neck.

Alexandrite retrieved her map of the area and looked it over quickly. "Can you move? There's an area with some caves not far from our present location. With nightfall fast approaching, the sooner we can make it there the better. It will give us a chance to recover for the trip back to civilization," she continued. It was unfair to hit this disoriented stallion with so much information so quickly, but at the same time, every moment out here in the wild was critical.

His ears by now were numb and useless, little more than the dull thrum of his pulse wobbling his eardrums. It beat the pain of frostbite, but pain might've at least kept him a little more alert. The bitter cold was really quite serious at this point, and the humidity of the air was hardly helping. However, the regal statespony knew that sleep was his mortal nemesis - he had to find some sort of shelter, though the odds were increasingly slim. He hadn't the strength left to try and hollow an igloo - in retrospect, he was starting to wish he'd stayed put in an attempt to create some sort of shelter. But, hindsight would do him no good, unless he were to fall into this scenario all over again at a later time. If there even will be a later time for me, Fancy Pants thought grimly. No, that was a shard of despair. That could very well trot off and sit in the corner for a while. He didn't need to wallow, he needed to march. If nothing else, motion might bring him somewhere, and it would keep his muscles a little warmer. Sure, he was staggering a bit by now, but he was still pressing on, and that was what he felt mattered.

He didn't hear the approaching footprints, nor did he quickly react to the armored mare that suddenly trotted into view. For a moment, his gaze simply kept low, tracking the ground just before him. The booted mahogany legs that suddenly showed up caused him to stumble to a halt, his expression confused for a moment. Then, up his head lifted, following up to the pony's face. No, this wasn't a princess, but it might've been a spirit of some sort - not an ice spirit, surely. She simply wasn't the right sort of coat for it. But, his somewhat wandering mind at least tried to push out a greeting in response to, well, whatever she was saying. He couldn't quite make it work out in his head.

"My good sir, I am Alexandrite Tilt of the Crystal Imperial Guard. I come in response to the distress call you sent. Please, come with me. I will ensure that you survive this terrible ordeal."

"Ch-ch-ch-charmed, um... Yes! Charmed!" He managed a bit weakly, his eyes glossing a bit. However, as the scarf was wrapped around his neck, something happened. He felt warmth! There was something he could feel - a token of this pony before him that he could touch! This wasn't his imagination, this was, this was... did she say Imperial Guard? This was a rescue! This was a pony and he was being rescued! A slow spark thawed his eyes, and soon enough, he had wits enough about him to bring himself back to some semblance of activity. She continued to speak, and he slowly pulled himself back into focus, wrapping the scarf a little more evenly about his head and neck, his horn glowing with magic.

Alexandrite retrieved her map of the area and looked it over quickly. "Can you move? There's an area with some caves not far from our present location. With nightfall fast approaching, the sooner we can make it there the better. It will give us a chance to recover for the trip back to civilization," she continued. He kept his horn aglow, shedding some light about them and burning a little more warmth near his head. The scarf was helping his head stay a little warmer, certainly, but now with somepony at the rescue, he had every intention of keeping himself properly ordered and alert. Alone, he could slog along mindlessly, but he was hardly going to drag back somepony who'd risked limb and hide to find him in this blasted weather.

"Miss, I've never been so glad to see anypony in my life." He retorted with only a bit of a stammering shiver, his tone a fair bit keener and energetic now that he'd had something to startle his brain. "My legs are numbing and my hooves are like ice, but I think I've got a good gallop or two left yet. By all means, lead us out of this wind!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Ch-ch-ch-charmed, um... Yes! Charmed!"

A lot could be discerned from how ponies carried themselves while facing true peril. That this Fancy Pants maintained his airs of class, even while desperate and disoriented, told Alexandrite he was a statespony through and through. She could understand that. She was the daughter of a statespony herself, after all. She smiled as best she could at him, even while known his fragility and the elements might have made the gesture moot. She was more determined than ever to complete her rescue mission and do it as quickly as was possible.

"Miss, I've never been so glad to see anypony in my life. My legs are numbing and my hooves are like ice, but I think I've got a good gallop or two left yet. By all means, lead us out of this "

"At once, sir!" Alexandrite responded, giving a nod. "Just follow my lead," she added, in a firm voice. "And if ever you feel like you cannot continue, do immediately let me know. There is no shame in understanding the limits of your body, but there is foolishness in recklessly exceeding them."

"It's no substitute for thick, natural cave walls but in the worst, case, I do have a small cloth tent rolled up in my pack that could be employed to spare us from the worst of the elements for a while," she added, her tone still fairly grave. With that said, she then started ahead at a medium canter. A faster pace wouldn't be good for Fancy Pants or herself, with all that she carried, but a slower pace wouldn't get them where they needed to be swift enough.

• 1 month later...

"If ever you feel like you cannot continue, do immediately let me know. There is no shame in understanding the limits of your body, but there is foolishness in recklessly exceeding them."

There was a brief nag in the unicorn's mind that he really ought to push his limitations as much as he was able, but his rousing sense of logic reminded him that he was the one who'd got stuck out in this wretched frost with not a lot more than a cload and a tucked-away satchel of stationary, while she had come with a proper outfit and gear. Therefore, he should most probably definitely listen to her over his desire not to look like he could handle himself in this sort of extreme situation. Out in this miserable frozen tundra, there was not the least bit of shame in admitting that he wasn't the least bit prepared for this scenario. And thus, as she led, he followed, shaking a little more snow from his coat and tucking the scarf a little more firmly into the collar of his cape. Every bit of heat he kept in was important!

"It's no substitute for thick, natural cave walls but in the worst, case, I do have a small cloth tent rolled up in my pack that could be employed to spare us from the worst of the elements for a while,"

"Well, I will sincerely attempt to press on far enough that you needn't pitch it. Even a dark cave and a meager fire would be plenty welcome in comparison to this wind!" The noblepony retorted, warming the air around his head a bit more with a touch more power to his horn. He was aware that it lent a bit of strain on his mind, but given that he wasn't exactly attempting to mastermind his way out of the vast expanse, he could probably spare it. At very least, it made finding footing a bit easier, the light betraying where ice and rock might be waiting to catch an unwary hoof.

• 3 weeks later...

"Well, I will sincerely attempt to press on far enough that you needn't pitch it. Even a dark cave and a meager fire would be plenty welcome in comparison to this wind!"

"Excellent," Alexandrite replied simply. "Let us then do our best to escape this wind as quickly as is possible."

The crystal pony gave a nod and then continued toward where the cave was said to be. She did her best to set the pace. She didn't want to press the weakened stallion harder than he could be pushed, but at the same time, she knew that progressing too slowly could prove dire for them both. They needed to keep focused and moving steadily forward.

Looking at the stallion, she could see the sparks coming from his horn. She only knew so much about unicorns and their magic, but it was easy to tell that the spell was in effort to help keep the stallion warm. It was easy to see how even a flickering, simple bit of magic was straining his frail. burdened form. Alexa wondered a moment if there was any way she had to help, but almost as readily knew there was little to be done. All she could do was keep them moving forward. A little conversation though might help keep his mind both lucid and off both the strain it was under and the unfriendly elements all around them .

"If you do not mind me asking, how is it that you happened to arrive in these remote parts, sir?" she asked, curious. She hadn't even really thought of it until now, but it was an odd thing. How did a pony, a noblepony no less, end up lost in the middle of the snowy wilderness all on his own? There surely had to be a story.

• 2 weeks later...

"Let us then do our best to escape this wind as quickly as is possible."

There would be no arguement from him there! "Right-o!" He replied, his voice a touch shaky from his shivering, but still collected and concise. He'd all his wits about him, now that he had some help and a little more warmth given to him.

With a nod from the mahogany pony, the two of them pressed on, Fancy Pants doing his best to light their way forward at the pace she set. Perhaps he could've gone a little faster, and with the cold nipping at every hair and whisker he had plenty of reason to, but the mare was the one who knew how far they had to go, and how to best set a pace in this miserable weather. So, keeping downwind of the crystal pony, he trotted on, every bit of snow that hit his horn popping away from it in a tiny spark, causing just a tiny prick against his somewhat wobbly veil of concentration. He might've been burning through some of his magical reserves now, but at least he had a reason to do so now!

"If you do not mind me asking, how is it that you happened to arrive in these remote parts, sir?"

"A fine question! I was rather w-wondering that myself a few hours ago!" The stately pony replied, just a tiny hint of resent creeping into his voice. Still, rather than let that nasty bit of bitterness build, he simply cleared his throat, tucked the borrowed scarf a little closer to his ears, then continued. "I'd hired a rather confident unicorn of considerable magical ability to try and teleport me from C-C-Canterlot to your fine Crystal Empire. Tight schedules and l-lack of transportation willing to brave these storms. I r-rather think I won't be making this mistake again, m-muh-mind you! Oh dear, pardon me." Fancy-pants explained, his teeth chattering a bit as he spoke. Not that he was about to turn nasty on the unicorn who'd stuck him in this mess, but there certainly might be some stern letters advocating due care and caution over hasty reassurance. It was sheer luck that he'd been found at all, and he could imagine that things could've turned out much, much worse than this. But, rather than fear the looming darkness and the bittering cold, Fancy Pants simply tried to clutch a few fond memories in his head - hot soup served amidst friends in the dining hall, laughing merrily at in-jokes told at a hearth, a hot bath after the gala... He would make it through all this wretchedness to enjoy those again. He simply would, and bother and outcast any notions otherwise!

Not that any of it was over - the overcast sky was getting darker, and the regal pony swore the wind might actually be getting colder. They weren't out of harm's way yet. Pulling his kerchief from his now-dishevelled coat pocket, Fancy Pants tucked the garment into his scarf and covered his muzzle, his frozen moustache crunching against his muzzle, the tips stabbing through the thin garment. Still, it kept a little more warmth in, even if his sense of fashion, his facial hair and pocket kerchief had suffered for it.

"Oh, Celestia, leave the sun up a little longer, for our sake." The unicorn pleaded under his breath, the glow of his horn becoming all the more apparent as the sky began to darken

• 3 weeks later...

A fine question! I was rather w-wondering that myself a few hours ago! I'd hired a rather confident unicorn of considerable magical ability to try and teleport me from C-C-Canterlot to your fine Crystal Empire. Tight schedules and l-lack of transportation willing to brave these storms. I r-rather think I won't be making this mistake again, m-muh-mind you! Oh dear, pardon me."

"Canterlot to the Empire?" Alexandrite started sharply, finding this absurd. "No unicorn, be he Starswirl the Bearded or even the Tyrant King Sombra himself could manage such an impossible feat as that! It's no wonder it happened like this," she declared readily. "Why, even Celestia herself would sooner fly that distance than try it using magic," she added, finding the very thought ridiculous.

She eased up then, not wanting to speak so harshly to one so weak and wearied. She looked down at her hooves a moment and sighed. "I suppose there are some though, with such mastery of words that they could easily convince a sensible pony of anything, no matter how incredible it might be..."

"It's unfortunate that so many exist in this world who would make their way taking advantage of the trust others put in them," she said with a sigh. "I would suppose this knave had you pay him handsomely in advance, as well?"

"Oh, Celestia, leave the sun up a little longer, for our sake."

Alexandrite looked down again at the faint murmuring, which she could just make out.

"it's not far. We'll make it yet," she assured him in a positive voice, though looking back up she could see that their time was limited. Celestia had already started to move the sun slowly downward. The cave wasn't far, but they would most definitely be cutting it close.

"Canterlot to the Empire? No unicorn, be he Starswirl the Bearded or even the Tyrant King Sombra himself could manage such an impossible feat as that! It's no wonder it happened like this,"

There was a quiet clearing of his throat. Not that it was visible beneath his borrowed scarf, but Fancy Pants was grimacing just a bit, feeling more than a little chagrined at the sudden onslaught of critique. It had been a while since he'd had to suspect betrayal from anyone outside of his caliber, especially on a scale as downright dangerous as this. Yet, here he was, with a guardspony pointing out what should have been rather obvious as he chatted left and right with the uppermost clique of Celestia's shining jewel. There was simply no two ways about it - he was going to have to pursue this 'accident' with inquiry upon inquiry until he got to the bottom of it.

"...I would suppose this knave had you pay him handsomely in advance, as well?"

Rather than embarrass himself too much further, Fancy Pants simply shook his head. "Quite honestly, miss, I'm not entirely c-certain that bits are... Hachoo! Pardon me - terribly important at the moment. Is - is that the cave you intended, up ahead?" He directed the magelight from his horn further ahead, trying to point forwards without lifting any hooves from the frozen ground, his neck craning a bit as he unhuddled himself just enough to look forward. Although his entire body was trembling, at least he had something to look forward to. Maybe the robust guardspony had enough in her satchel to start some sort of fire? The thought of a fire suddenly felt very, very appealing. Warmth. Good, lovely, industrious warmth and it's life-saving embrace. How he missed it so.

• 3 weeks later...

"Quite honestly, miss, I'm not entirely c-certain that bits are... Hachoo! Pardon me - terribly important at the moment. Is - is that the cave you intended, up ahead?"

Alexandrite was somewhat surprised by the words and their tone. Shouldn't this stallion have some reserve of rage for this scoundrel who ripped him off so completely? Despite only having just made this stallion's acquaintance, it was enough to draw Alexa's ire. But no... this stallion didn't seem to want to dwell on it at all. She wondered why for a moment before it hit her and she recognized her error. She had miscalculated. This Fancy Pants was rather like her. He was the sort to assume all responsibility, not hoof it off to others involved without thought. What lingered with him was not an anger or resentment for the one who had duped him, but a deep sense of shame that he had allowed himself to fall for it in the first place. Consider that, Alexa's words were just prodding a wound. Where she had intended to rouse some kind of restlessness to heat him up, she was instead making him more aware of the elements.

Thinking about it, she wondered why she had assumed he'd feel otherwise. Was that a commentary on how she felt about the nobles and elites? Did somewhere in her she assume they all were the type to pass the blame of their situation on to others? She took pride in being her father's daughter, but perhaps somewhere that was true still. Perhaps there really was a difference between how she thought to speak to such ponies and to her fellows who like her hefted lances in defence of the land. Either way, now that she felt she understood this stallion better, she was sure she would not err herself in conversation with him again. That could wait until they were to safety now though. She had probably done enough damage in the present conversation for now.

"indeed. We've made good time," she said looking toward the dark of the cave visible in the distance. "Having the goal right in sight makes it easier. Just stay strong and press ahead and we should be there shortly..." she added, with a stern nod, even as she looked up and saw they weren't entirely safe yet--the sun was reaching the horizon, ready to pass over it, Luna's moon already visible in the sky...

"indeed. We've made good time," The guardsmare responded. Oh, marvelous, she was plenty willing to drop the subject of his erroneous judgement. That made life a little easier. Now he just had to deal with savage, arctic winds carrying salt and haze on their forefront as night settled over a desolate, lifeless terrain. Piece of cake. "Having the goal right in sight makes it easier. Just stay strong and press ahead and we should be there shortly..."

"The very thought of it makes one w-w-want to br-break into a run! Heh..." Fancy Pants mused, focusing on the cave. There. That was home. If he could march to that cave, that spot, then everything would be fine. Dr. Merlot would be there with a snifter of brandy, and those darling sisters from the ponyville spa would have their jacuzzi piping hot to unfreeze him. Perhaps even Fleur would be about with a merry story and a cheerful smirk, and best of all, the fellow that landed him in all this would be there, with a hundred of the most sincere, touching apologies readied at his lips. They'd all gather together and throw three cheers and three again for this sturdy mahogany mare, and hold a party in her celebration. Once he got to that cave, he would have a grand time and put all this behind him. Best of all, it would be warm, and nobody would ever have to get buffeted by burning cold and stinging salt winds ever again.

He didn't sincerely believe any of this, but he let his mind conjure it all up for him. At very least, he'd solidly convinced himself that as soon as they were in the cave, they would be safe, and he would be okay - everything would be okay. He'd warm right back up again and everything would be fine. Sadly, though, his exterior wasn't nearly as merry a sight as the inside of his mind - his horn was starting to grow a bit dimmer, and his eyes were drawn back in a permanent wince, the brims of his eyes caked with frost, salt, and rheum.

"Though I haven't the bravery t-t-to attempt a gallop while my coat is half-fr-frozen, I daresay the very no-notion is an appealing one. Oh, my, what would the Creme of Canterlot h-have to say if they were t-t-to learn that Fancy Pants w-was so eager to make way to an ab-b-bandoned cave... hah hah.." He trailed off a bit, the laughter fading into a brief coughing fit. One which at least ended in a "Oh, I d-do beg your pardon." So at least he wasn't having any serious trouble with the whole 'breathing' thing.

And still, in spite of it all, he pressed on. A healthier unicorn could've probably thrown a rock and hit the cave before long, but every step was so very hard. No. No, he would make it. He was too close now to stop.

• 3 weeks later...

"The very thought of it makes one w-w-want to br-break into a run! Heh... Though I haven't the bravery t-t-to attempt a gallop while my coat is half-fr-frozen, I daresay the very no-notion is an appealing one. Oh, my, what would the Creme of Canterlot h-have to say if they were t-t-to learn that Fancy Pants w-was so eager to make way to an ab-b-bandoned cave... hah hah.. Oh, I d-do beg your pardon.

Alexandrite looked at the unicorn and nodded. His spirits seemed stronger in seeing the cave in the distance, though she could tell the elements were still wearing on him. His voice was broken, trembling and seemed to grow weaker. He coughed and the spark of his horn dimmed at times. He was growing weak, that was perfectly plain.

"I would advise against straining yourself in your condition and in these elements. It would be all too easy to lose your hoofing and collapse in the snow, or even reach the cave only to succumb to the bitterness of your exhaustion before you can reap its benefits," she said in a steady voice.

She looked toward the cave then and nodded.. "Do not worry yourself. At this distance we will make it," she said, finding a calm certainty. "Even if you cannot go on by your own power, even if I have to cast off my things and carry you the rest of the way, we will get to that cave."

The sun was now setting and the sky was turning dark, but the cave really was close now. So long as Fancy Pants could take the last few steps into its safety, they would find their solace. "Just stay calm and keep your legs moving you forward. We can make it!" she said.

As they powered forwards, the mahogany crystal mare kept up her words of encouragement, ensuring that they'd at very least make it out of the salty, fog-hewn wind. That much seemed entirely plausiable, even if he were to take the mind of a pessimist. For that matter, he didn't even need to use his legs if he couldn't. Surely the sturdy guardsmare could shoulder him over such a short distance. However, he wouldn't burden either himself or his rescuer with the indignity.

But, he had to admit he had never felt so worn and wearied in his entire life. Not while sprinting full out from ne'er-do-wells, not while pushing his magical abilities to their very limits during exams at the university, not while galloping for charity - not ever. His hooves were leaden and numb, his face was coated with a thin sheet of ice and salt, his tail was nearly frozen to the bone, and his eyes were starting to grow dim, though he wasn't entirely sure if that was him or the decaying daylight. For a moment, he simply ground to a halt, standing wearily in the wind, catching his breath quietly as the guardsmare pressed on. If she didn't notice from the lack of hoofsteps, then she might notice from the lack of magelight from the stallion's horn. Fancy Pants had, quite simply, stopped.

However, it was not long before he started again. There was a lame bit of a leap forward from the frozen stallion, then a brilliant flash of light about him, sweeping from his horn to his tail. With the blink of an eye and a spell, he had managed a quick jump from the plains to the cave. Sure, it used up a fairly healthy chunk of his magical resevoir, but he found some very distinct lift in morale as he was suddenly sheltered and on rocky ground. His hooves skittered a bit as he came to a halt, but soon enough, he was waving out of the mouth of the cave, managing to balance well enough to raise a hoof just past his shoulder. Above all else, though, he was standing, bold enough to slip the scarf away from his mouth - a bit of a mistake, as part of his frozen, crushed moustache went skittering to the rocky floor as he did so. Not that he cared too much, really. With the scarf off of his muzzle, he managed a rather large smile and a chipper calling out through the arctic wind.

"I'm afraid I'd rather you didn't have to carry me, miss, m-much as I appreciate the offer! I think I might live long enough t-to have to worry abbout my public appearance! By Celestia, is it ever grand to be in still air again." Yes, he was still quite, quite cold. Yes, he was in incredibly sore need of a campfire and a cup of tea. Yes, they were still miles upon miles from the nearest fireplace, but at least now the blasted wind wasn't sapping the life away from him. The ordeal was not yet over, but as far as he was concerned, he was almost certainly going to get out of it intact.

• 3 weeks later...

"I'm afraid I'd rather you didn't have to carry me, miss, m-much as I appreciate the offer! I think I might live long enough t-to have to worry abbout my public appearance! By Celestia, is it ever grand to be in still air again."

Alexandrite was delighted to finally reach the cave. She was surprised to see that her companion had enough strength left to transport himself the remaining distance, but was glad to see it. Once he had, she broke into a strong canter to catch up to him. Inside the cave, she offered a soft smile.

She chuckled warmly at his words. "Yes, we've made it, sir, and by your own power too," she said with a nod, realizing this was a pony who took his image very seriously. "Though I imagine you'll be quite drained from it all. Rest here for a while. You'll find food in my bags, most of which will not require cooking." She threw down her bags, glad to have the weight off of her and nodded. Inside were a number of edibles, including crystal berries and a variety of other fruit.

"Though we'll still need to build a fire next," she said. "I'll find some twigs to use for tinder," she added, realizing she would not be able to enjoy the comforts of the cave for long herself. "Do you know magic for making sparks? I could make a fire without, but it would be easiest in these temperatures, and should the twigs I find be too wet from snow."

• 5 weeks later...

Fancy Pants had seen a few caves across Equestria - some studded with gems, some brimming with life both strange and wonderous, some of historic importance, and some of great curiosity. This was none of them. In fact, this was probably the least interesting cave he'd ever seen in his entire life. It was a cave of no wonder whatsoever - if he peered, he could see to the back of it, or so he very much thought. There were no footprints, and no odour hanging in the air. On the ground, the only oddity to be seen was the frozen severance from his moustache, his facial hair tattered and rent by the hoarfrost in the air. But, for this very evening and perhaps many evenings to come, this was his favourite cave. It was the very best of caves, humble but vitally, vitally important to him.

Not that he was about to wax poetic over it. He was releived, not delirious.

He kept an eye on the guardsmare, even as he backed into the cave, his horn brimming with a soft glow as he shimmied his clothing all about him, vigorously rubbing the fabrics against his coat. He couldn't feel much of it, which worried him a touch, but with a little more application of friction, he began to feel the discomfort of hairs being shuffled this way and that, a little heat sinking mercifully into his skin, ice and snow scattering about him. A little drier and happier, Fancy Pants ushered the guardsmare in, showing due courtesy and chivalry in spite of the fact he was clearly the one out of his element.

"Yes, we've made it, sir, and by your own power too," She praised, though some might argue that nearly picking him up out of the snow, dressing him up all the better, and shielding him from some of the wind all the way here hardly counted as 'his own power'."Though I imagine you'll be quite drained from it all. Rest here for a while. You'll find food in my bags, most of which will not require cooking."

"Under politer circumstances, I'd refuse for having so inconvenienced you already. But, th-these arctic climes aren't quite as charming as one might ask. Thank you very much for the offer, and I'll partake whenever we might have some time to sit." He replied, carrying on just a bit. His head was still a touch addled, but still, he left the bag alone for now, not looking to immediately plunder what she brought with her. The immediate desire for a soft cheese and heavy, nut-laden bread came to mind, but she seemed more likely to be carrying llembas bread or other such dry, practical rations with her, and if she did indeed have such fineries, he wasn't about to reduce what might be available to her.

"Though we'll still need to build a fire next. I'll find some twigs to use for tinder." The mare announced, Fancy Pants silently nodding in agreement. There were few times he found himself very thoroughly convinced that setting something on fire was the best plan, but there was no doubt that immotolating something for the sake of a conflagration was simply the best plan there was, here and now., "Do you know magic for making sparks? I could make a fire without, but it would be easiest in these temperatures, and should the twigs I find be too wet from snow."

"As a matter of fact, I do. Though I'll admit to most of my practise is in candletips and pipes, I c-c-can't imagine the task being too different for tinder or paper." Fancy pants replied, still stammering a bit as he shivered. Of all the things he had with him, after all, he did have some writing paper, ink and a quill, somewhere in his jacket. Sure, the ink was frozen, the paper crumpled and the quill likely snapped by now, but paper didn't much care what state it was in when introduced to a flame. A few sheafs of paper and the frozen feather were drawn with another glow of his horn, and he left them in a small pile upon the cave floor.

• 1 month later...

"Under politer circumstances, I'd refuse for having so inconvenienced you already. But, th-these arctic climes aren't quite as charming as one might ask. Thank you very much for the offer, and I'll partake whenever we might have some time to sit."

Alexandrite gave a short nod. "Exactly right, sir. These windswept wildernesses care little about niceties. Out here, one can do nothing but accept whatever it is they might have at hoof..." she said.

"As for the matter of inconvenience, you truly needn't ever consider it as such," Alexandrite added steadily. "Protecting and serving he citizenry is the lifework of an Imperial Guard such as I."

"As a matter of fact, I do. Though I'll admit to most of my practise is in candletips and pipes, I c-c-can't imagine the task being too different for tinder or paper."

Alexandrite was surprised to see Fancy Pants then retrieve some paper and a quill from his person and set a spark to it. She hadn't even considered that her companion might have something with him to use for the fire and was entirely ready to depart for the tinder, but stopped and watched the other pony do what he would.

"Though I know so well the danger that comes of it abused, I must admit in seeing it how convenient a thing unicorn magic is," the crystal pony remarked somewhat absently as she looked at the small fire. Seeing Fancy Pants light the spark had her consciously recall that this stallion she saved was not only an outsider from this new era, but also a unicorn like the king had been. The thought brought back to mind all the small anxieties she had felt since the Empire's return, the concerns for the Empire's fate she had once expressed before the new Crystal Princess herself. That she hadn't considered such things until now, was proof to Alexandrite that the important thing ultimately was being where she needed to be to help others. Though an uncertainty would likely linger with her for a long time, perhaps a natural reaction to being so completely uprooted from the world she once known, Alexandrite could accept that things were simply different now, and regardless of anything else, duty would always come first.

Besides, all things considered, this Fancy Pants fellow had in the short time Alexa had known him seemed a completely fine and respectable sort.

"I do worry the paper might burn out too quickly however..." she added after a moment spent mulling over her thoughts. "We'll need the fire lit the night through to keep the cave warm."

The mare then sighed and used her forehooves to remove her helm, shaking free her yellow mane. The back plate came off after that, leaving the mare clad only in the bright pink insulating wool covering she wore underneath. Her armor shoes remained in place. She stretched her neck and then gave a short nod.

"But for now, I imagine this should do. If need be, I can find more things for the fire once we've rested a moment and recovered our strength," she said. Though she was a trained guardsmare, Alexandrite was hardly immune from the wear that comes in spending hours out in the arctic snows. With the burden of her armor shed and her given the moment and her able to let the toil of the venture catch up to her, she could begin to feel exactly how much it had taken out of her. A chance to sit upon the dirt of the cave by the fire and eat some of the admittedly simple rations she had packed was just what she needed.

Archived