A Canterlot Date of Doom [Closed-Shadow]

ShadowWalking18

At a fine little restaurant, sitting at a reserved table outside in the fine sunshine, sat a griffon. A griffon who sat there rubbing his head with a very terrified look on his expression.

"How did I end up in this?" Razor groaned as he planted his face onto the table.

His sister, Glimmer, had taken the ever so..."helpful"....task of setting him up....on a.....date. A blind date even worse. And if there was one thing he was scared of...it was this.

'How did I even end up here?' He thought.

He leaned back in his chair, looking slightly at the bouquet of flowers and tickets to Pony of the Hills. How his sister even got those he didn't want to know.

A feeling of dread slowly creeped over him. He felt sure he would make an idiot of himself. He had no experience with dates. Not to mention his fear of the female gender. Even if his sister said it would be great to help him get over it....he felt sure it wouldn't.

"I'll give it five more minutes.....if she doesn't show up I can leave and just say I got stood up." He whispered to himself as he looked around. No sight of his date yet. Maybe he would luck out.

Midnight slowly walked to the restaurant, trying to shield her eyes from the bright sun. Normally she'd be sleeping at this time, but she'd been coaxed into going on a date. She, on the outside, looked like she'd woken up on the wrong side of the bed, and she had. Her mane was in chaos, and her tail wasn't looking much better that morning. Mostly for the fact she'd woken up 10 minutes ago.

She was wearing some silly dress, a formal version of her armor that Lunar Guards are supposed to wear to formal events. Normally she never wore it, but again, the requests of a young chick to 'look good' was hard to by pass.

'This is a horid idea, i could just say he never showed up...and then Glimmer would probably hunt me down' she thought to herself, the mare had to give credit, Glimmer was extremely determined to help her older brother in relationships. If that was a good thing, or a bad, Midnight wasn't too sure about.

Eventually, she reached the restraurant, and it took her mere seconds to spot the Griffon sitting..in the sun. She shook her head slightly, everything had to be in the sun where it was really bright and hurt her eyes. Still, she knew there was nothing complaining would do, so she walked up to the tabl, sitting down and looking at the Griffon.

It was then she realized she had no idea what to say, or even what to do.

"U-ummm, hi?" was all she had the courage to do, her last date had been years ago in Cloudsdale as a filly, and she had failed at that too!

Razor stiffened when he noticed the mare moving toward his table and sitting down. So.....this was his date.

'So much for that plan.' He thought and took a slow, but slightly unsteady breath. So....what did one say when their date showed up again?

"U-ummm, hi?"

'Oh...right. Yeah hello. That's a good start.' He thought he straightened and scratched the back of his neck.

"Uh...I...uh...Hi....yeah hi." He stammered.

'Stupid! You sounded like an idiot!' He thought, yelling at himself mentally. This was not a good start.

Razor looked at the mare again, "Uh....hi. I...Razor. I'm Razor." He gulped. Even with a table length apart he felt she was too close.

He took a brief moment to look the mare over. Something seemed off on her, aside from the formal uniform sort of dress she had. But he couldn't place it.

"SO... um....want to....order something?" He asked.

Midnight kept rubbing the back of her mane, as her date spoke. She could tell he was flustered, it was probably impossible to miss it. What she didn't understand was why, he probably didn't know much about her so why was he that nervious?

"I'm Midnight, though...Glimmer probably told you everything she knows about me" She figured it logical, though maybe this was Glimmer's idea of a joke, in which Razor wasn't laughing.

"Order..Well, i...i don't go out often, don't offer us that much different food each day at the barracks...so, like...i'll leave the ordering to you?" She suggested.

Razor cleared his throat, "Uh well....a little. I know you met her during the tour she went on. And she said you were a few...other things."

He took another steady breath as he tried to keep calm. Maybe some food or at least a drink to calm his nerves. He called for the watier and asked for some coffee to start.

"And I guess she can have whatever she wants. I guess coffee too?" He asked, looking to Midnight.

Once the waiter had their order and left Razor looked at Midnight.

"So...you don't....really do this a lot?" He asked as he tried to avoid eye contact a bit, "I guess....that's something we have in common."

"So....you are a guard I think right? I think Glimmer mentioned that a bit." He said, hoping to at least make this less awkward then what it was turning into.

Midnight saw the waiter arriving, and ordered a tea. She hadn't had it in years, but it would, hopefully, still be drinkable.

At Razor's first question, she shook her head, before noticing that his eyes were almost everywhere but looking at her. "Y-yeah, i don't normally go on dates, or anything like this, so it's a start" she said, trying to make it sound more casual, like two friends meeting for lunch instead of a pony and a griffon who'd never seen each other before.

"Yeah, i'm what's called the Lunar Guard, basically, i protect the castle, at well..night. She never mentioned what you did" She asked, still fidgetting with her mane, she couldn't help herself, given how, akward she felt, no other words could describe it.

Feeling things were getting to awkward he took a deep breath and looked at Midnight, or at least tried to. Though everytime it felt like they made eye contact he looked away, so he strived to at least keep his eyes on her mane.

'Wow its really...messed up. Does she even comb it? Even I preen my feathers.' He thought.

"Lunar Guard. Sounds cool. As for me, I do a little of everything. Sometimes I give delivery services some help, in fact I do a lot of that at times. Keeps me in top shape flying halfway across Equestria and beyond. Though I've considered maybe giving a bodyguard or some other sort of work like that a try. I'm aggressive enough for the job I guess, though my biggest passion is racing. Eventually I'm gonna try for one of the big racing teams back in Aquilla. Though I guess if needed I can always go into the military full time like my father and brothers did."

He looked down and growled slightly at the last part and muttered to himself, "Though that might be more trouble then its worth."

When the waiter brought their drinks, Razor as quick to drink half of it down in a moments notice. He really needed something to chill his nerves and some coffee or water or whatever. Though after....he didn't really know what to talk about. And so a bit of an awkward silence came over him.

Midnight nodded her head, life in the military, was nothing too easy. It was tough, nothing around it, but it was satisfying for her. But a griffon racer, would do very well in Equestrian races, depending on what they were good at.

"A racing team would be fun, i suppose, i'd give that a go before the military"

She could hear, almost anger, in his voice. Obviously directed to either the military, or his family. Honestly, she'd hope it was the second, but not wanting to push it with the Griffon.

Midnight smiled once the drinks arrived, it was hopefully something that might decrease the tension, but doubted it given how quickly he went through half his drink off the bat.

She started her tea, taking a good sip, trying to think what to say. They'd talked about, well, stuff, and really wasn't sure how continue.

"So, ummmm...yeah"

Razor scratched his head, sooooo.....what did two griffons or...well a griffon and a pony talk about? Especially in this situation?

"So....uh....what made you join the guard?" He asked.

Razor felt this was going to go smashingly. And by that he felt sure something was gonna go bad. Well...he hoped it wouldn't.

He looked around, feeling like he was being eyed. In fact it seems a few other ponies looked at them, curiously. He hated that feeling.

"Uh...so...you hungry? If not we can just leave and...go to...wherever it is we gotta go next." He said.

"Why, i joined the guard? Well, my got my Cutie Mark saving a foal from falling from Canterlot. Found i loved, protecting ponies, so, the guard fitted me like a glove" She smiled at the Griffon, brushing part of her mane out of her eyes, rubbing the back of her neck.

At the offer to either get food, or leave to where-ever Glimmer had planned for them to go, she wasn't too sure. Part of her wanted something to eat, part of her found the air of comfort surrounding them to be, distasteful.

"Ummm, i..i don't really mind, like..I wouldn't mind something to eat, but i'll be fine if i don't. What about you, you want something, or...?"

"Saved a kid huh? Not bad." Razor said, "As for me, my father and most of my brothers are in the military or business. And I attended the same school as them so anything they do I can probably do. Though I felt racing would be more for me. I have a whole philosophy on speed and figured joining a racing team someday would suit that."

"I'm fine. I'd like something quick myself. So lets eat." He said before motioning the waiter over. He decided for something quick and just ordered a simple fish sandwich. He was glad they offered that much here. He let Midnight get whatever she wanted. Now with that done he just had to maneuver this conversation until the food got here and they were off to....where were they going again?

He checked the small tickets his sister gave him. Lets see they were going to......

Razor blinked and said, "Pony of the Hills? He looked at the two tickets for a moment then at Midnight, "That's something....big right?"

Midnight smiled, food would hopfully calm him down, and give her something to eat. She'd skipped breakfast, more for the fact she'd nearly missed the date itself. Her sleeping patters didn't promote her doing much this early in the day, early for her at least.

She ordered herself a simple sandwhich, nothing too much, but should keep her satisfied for a while.

As Razor mentioned 'Pony of the Hills', it got Midnight's attention. They were going to see that? It was a musical, something she'd heard was good, then again, hearing guards talk about musicals could be conserning.

"Pony of the Hills? That's the huge musical that's been sweeping over places, heard a few other guards went to see it a few days ago, apparently it's good. Never seen it myself...." She saw the confused look on his face, meaning that he didn't get them.

"Wait...Glimmer got those, r-right? How in Equestria did she get those?"

Razor mentally groaned. A musical. Of course. He didn't really have a feel for such things. Still, his sister had gotten these.

He blinked when Midnight asked how his sister managed to acquire the tickets, "Hmm? Oh probably though our mother. She is one of those fashion designer folks, and has a few connections here and there. So I'm not surprised she could get these. Heck if I know my sister or our mother, they probably bought these in advance for this day."

He rubbed his head slightly, "Frankly, I've given up trying to figure out how they get what they do when it comes to this sort of thing with me."

He noticed the waiter finally bringing them their food and was glad. Maybe something in his stomach would help. The waiter set their food down and asked if they would be needing anything else. Seeing that nothing else was needed, he left the two to their meal.

Razor was glad and started to eat, with manners of course. He was not going to make these upper crust ponies think he was uncouth.

Archived