(Canterlot) Out of Her Element (Open)

Lux

"Remember Night. Love could hurt to if you happen to fall for a wrong pony. That said, be honest with you feelings in that matter. Rejection will hurt still but...you will avoid false hopes and delusions. And with them wound on the heart heal quicker." he advised the black mare.

"And even more so if you find somepony who would reciprocate your feelings."

Night Watcher could see how Squall's special somepony, as well as perhaps other experiences in his life, affected his opinions on love. It was good advice, one that the mare silently pondered in her heart when the time arose when she would find somepony to love. She merely nodded to the unicorn, a silent note that she was indeed listening and would follow his advice. 

"But speaking of feelings - do you have siblings Night? I do not and I always wondered what it would be like. My beloved and my best mate happen to have a number each, and honestly I am little envious of them in that regard."

"Unfortunately I am an only foal. I actually thought of the same thing, how having an older or younger sibling would change my life. Maybe I wouldn't be where I am today, or maybe I would. I couldn't really say."

Night couldn't help but note the overly sanguine introduction of the host of the charity ball. His jovial style clearly masked perhaps a few skeletons in his closet, making Night certain not to let her guard down entirely. The mood quickly shifted on the host's face when she announced who she was as did a few who were in earshot. No doubt with wealth and power there were some secrets that the partygoers would prefer to have buried. 

"Ohhh we usually have somepony from military attending this yearly even. It appeared to not be the case this year, but I couldn't be happier being wrong! Lady Night we glade to have you as R.E.A. representative this night." 

"He's trying to sweet-talk you. You nod and pretend it worked." 

"And I am glad to be invited tonight and to have met you sir," Night said calmly to the host, playing along so as not to draw any unwanted attention or ire. 

With the host disappearing among the crowd, Swift explained who this Marquis was and how he operated behind the scenes and his love of comfort. 

"The pony behind the curtain," Night said with a grin, remembering a foal's story she read about a wizard and ruler from another land who claimed to have great power but was simply a fraud playing parlor tricks with his subjects. But her attention shifted to seeing Swift tense up at the sight of some Maretonians. The two made haste away from the group, waiting to see what they would do. 

"So they are from Kasarot," she whispered, "I wouldn't think they'd be here at a charity ball except to be seen... or some other plan." 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So they are from Kasarot," she whispered, "I wouldn't think they'd be here at a charity ball except to be seen... or some other plan." 

"They are." noblepony affirmed "And not to give candies to the orphans, on that you correct."

Stallion pressed himself closer against the large column they were hidden behind. Swordpony wordlessly gave Night a sign to be silent - Squall clearly had an intent to find out what was true intent of the Maretonians.

"...so how big chances he knows...?" asked the first ,deep sounding voice.

"About fifty-fifty. But even if he does not he may very well point us to somepony who does." answered the husky one, belonging to a female.

"Our host sure have some connections." the third Maretonian observed, seemingly in agreement with second.

"But what if Sisters would caught on this one? We don't want an international incident....At least not one which could put us in bad light." yet another voice - another mare - expressed her doubts..

"Why they should? As long as neither side would ask them officially their hooves are tied. That would set a precedent. Why do you think there was no interventions from other nations during...how shall we put it? Difficulties that Equestria had gone through recently." explained the mare who spoke first.

"And those troglodytes from Acroneighos would surely never ask for outside help, they too proud for that. And too stupid to find more subtle ways."

"Not to mention it's doubtful they would do anything anyway. Celestia expressed her view about situation in our home long ago."  deep sounding stallion pointed out.

"Either way, sooner or later, one way or other those mines will be ours." husky mare said in delighted tone.

"If only D'Fletcher will keep his part of a deal..."

"He will. Both of us can only gain from it, and nopony trusts a backstabber. That would be bad for businesses, yes?"

And with that words, Kastrot unicorns moved away from Squall's and Night's hiding place.

Watcher could observed that afterwards, Swift rubbed his chin, lost in thoughts.

"Well that explains about everything...." he muttered.

Night Watcher nodded at Swift's motion to keep silent and watched the ponies from Maretonia spoke. It sounded like the two were working to get their hooves on a mine that no doubt would fund some type of going on. The Night Guard had to wonder why all the behind the scenes dealings, unless the mine wasn't theirs to claim. 

"What do you think the funds for the mines would be for?" Night replied in a whisper so as not to give away that the pair were watching the conversation of the trio. 

• 4 weeks later...

Noblepony looked over his shoulder, his ears twitching before answering.

"Whatever they want really. But most probably establishing their dominance in Maretonia." he explained, after making sure that Kastrotians were gone.

"The existence of those mines is nothing new. However only few months ago they returned into equation." stallion saidi as he walked away from the column. If Night were to understand the whole picture she needed to have a small history lesson.

"What we talking about are deposits of sliver that can be mined. A huge ones, probably largest in their land. It was first found four hundred years ago, and in crucial moment for Maretonia history too." noblepony started.

"You see, back then, Maretonia and Aquelia were at long, long war. After years of the conflict, the ponies of that land was forced against the wall. The griffons were such huge threat that Maretonia City States united to fight it, for the first and so far last time in their history. At the same time, the massive amounts of sliver were found, the very same we talking about." Swift said before catching his breath. After clearing his throat he continued.

"This was a great boon for the Maretonia war effort. After multi-generational war the treasuries of both sides were mostly empty. But the findings of that precious metal changed everything. Mining operation were quickly established. Using the money that was gained thanks to this, as well as recent unification of their forces allowed those oversee ponies to finally kick the Aquelians out of their land and win." unicorn paused for a moment, before continuing - thus time with hint of disappointment and contempt in his voice.

"But as you can once the outside danger was dealt with, their unity was proven to be short lived. Their xenophobia and pride got better of them as it always does. The war however changed the few things. It was then that the three cities that we discussed earlier gained the prestige and reins of power. Now that Aquelia was out of the picture they started to plot against each other. Each of them wanted to get control over resources of sliver that previously happened to be so crucial in saving their independence. Bah! Some independence it is!" Squall snarked. Yet mocking smirk crept on his face when he thought bout the next part of the story.

"However once the three were ready to jump to each other throats, irony proved that it had excellent timing. A terrible monster appeared and claimed the shafts of the mine as his lair. And while just a simple beast in terms of it's mind, it was deadly enough to make abandon the mines, and in hurry too. It's poisonous breath brought death, hypnotic gaze temporarily banished the sanity of whoever dared to look into it's eyes, and hide too thick for any weapon that wasn't enchanted. Yet as long as nopony stepped into the stone pits it didn't really bothered anyone. And in such way the issued resolved itself. Aggressive moods amongst the cities lowered for a while, and open conflict was prevented. None of the city dared to go to slay the beast. It may be possible, but the casualties that would undoubtedly happen during such attempt would leave the contender as easy picking for the other two. So the mines were forgotten, an footnote in history books. Until now..." once again Swift paused. This time however he looked straight at black mare before continuing.

"Few months ago, a skeletal remains of the monster were found. Nopony knows how it died. Wherever it was some brave warrior or powerful sorcerer, beast even more terrifying then it or old age, it wasn't really important. What was important was the fact that mines and the sliver it contained were accessible again. And so the rivalry  between those three cities got even more intense during the time since the discovery of beast's demise. The time however are different now. No one is willing to risk an open attack Such act would isolate the city responsible on international scene. Instead, the cities seek more subtle means so size the control over the  mines. Like D'Fletcher guests for example..."

It was a tale that Night Watcher had heard before when it came to conflicts. While Equestria was largely peaceful, there were many cases in history and even now as she stood there where groups sought to claim land and materials to raise their importance or even to eventually wage war on others. Such was the case now as Maretonia had a motive and a means for their efforts.

"More silver, more power," Night said, ​"and now a means to do so it seems. Looks like there was more to this gathering than meets the eye. What is the likelihood of Maretonia declaring war on the griffons if they gain control of the silver mine?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"The gathering itself is ordinary. For a party of rich ponies that is. Those Kastrotians most likely just saw occasion and took it. And D'Fletcher is more then happy to have some businesses opportunity." Squall explained his thoughts on the matter.

​" What is the likelihood of Maretonia declaring war on the griffons if they gain control of the silver mine?" 

"Nonexistent. Even if Kastrot would gain control of that mines and then used it to gain control over rest of Maretonia it's too many factors against them. First Aquelia has imposing air-force, something that Kastrot lacks, and wouldn't be able to buy even with money, since it lacks any shipyards. Second, Aquelia is currently allied with Equestria, and it is more then certain that other nations would have a say in the matter as well. Third even if Kastrot would rule whole of Maretonia, in case of war it would surely be back stabbed by oppressed city states. And I mean oppressed because there is no way they would be assimilated willingly. Declaring war on...well anyone would lead any of the three cities being pummeled into the ground. There are many many more reasons like population size, territory or resources but you get the picture Night." unicorn enumerated few of the reason why open conflict would be a poor idea for oversea city.

"That said, while open conflict is out of question, Kastrotians will do much to win in other ways. Prestige, sportsponyship, cultural events, trade and overall wealth. Things like that. And while I may hate to say that they have large head-start over other two. Not that it would be hard, when one is wretched hive and other world biggest barracks." Swift continued explaining about extent of Maretonians rivalry.

"What I fear,is that they may find something new to butt heads over, at first seemingly innocent before turning out it's a powder keg. We live in strange times Night. Ancient legends and artifacts pop up every other week and one may happen to be a spark that will blow that region up."

"Funny, I completely forgot about how closely tied Aquelia is with Equestria until now. I did study about their relations but i guess being closely involved with Canterlot rather than traveling to Aquelia I unlearned much. I can see how futile it would be for them to start a war, but being a means to the in fighting among their city states is definitely a concern. What if they are using the mining operation to unearth some ancient artifact, one that can be the spark to the fires of conflict?" 

"Does such powerful artifact exists? Shouldn't there be tales of it's existence? Doubtful it does, and even that isn't a reason for war. No, right now the battles are wrought with money and influence. And there are limit's. General the more powerful a magical item is, the more versatility it's sacrificed. And one trick pony always has a weakness." Squall assured the guardsmare

"Kastrot is playing a long game here Night. They seek mines because silver means money. And money allows to do much more then some enchanted blade or death-ray shooting crystal. It comes from a pony who have more then he is able to spent, so trust me on this one." noblepony explained some more. Afterwards the tow spent a few much more quieter minutes, with Swift pointing out at other guest's and giving only a short descriptions. This one is a manager of famous rock star, that mare is young window of bestseller book author. And this baron is actually fairly decent fellow, he just like opals a little too much. He didn't gone beyond those few words about each of them, allowing his companion to develop her own opinions about the toffs gathered here.

After some more moment, a voice of their host was heard once more.

"Alright dear ladies and gentelcolts. Once more I would like you for your part in this noble endeavor. I am pleased to announce that sum gathered for those in need, once more exceeded the one from previous year."

D'Fletcher waited for a moment until sound hoofclaps got down. For once Squall joined others in encore. It seems that however shady businesses marquis did on the side, this charity project was genuine and real.

"Now with this said and done I would like to announce...." older unicorn wanted to add something but was interrupted. The large door that Night and Squall used earlier suddenly opened, and one of the bodyguards staggered inside, coughing. Everyone gathered heard him falling to the floor, but no one saw it, since almost immediately his body was enveloped by a green mist coming from the hall.

Before the cloud got even close to duo, Night was magically lifted and thrown at the closest chandelier. Next second she was joined by Squall who made telekinetic assisted leap. Unfortunately nopony else seemed to share noblepony lightning reflexes to do the same.

Squall leaned to observe the thick layer of gas below them. Whatever that substance was, it clearly was heavier then air - luckily for them.

"What in the..." he muttered confused.

It came down to the simplest of things that the Maretonians wanted and yet perhaps the most powerful: Money. Night was always looking at the bigger picture as to why certain evil were searching for something. Sometimes though her military training made her see the forest rather than the trees. Before she could say anything though, her ears perked up as something large hit the floor with a sickening thud. It wasn't something small like a glass or a waiter's serving tray. It almost sounded like a pony. As she stepped to investigate, she suddenly felt herself lifted towards the chandelier, something that the Night Guard guessed was Swift's doing but why she couldn't tell until Swift joined her. 

"What in the..." 

"That gas, it looks like it came from within the building! I've never seen anything like this before. We have to save the partygoers first! Let's open these windows open to vent out some of the gas." 

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhere on some deeply hidden level of subconsciousness was glad that events tuned the way they did. Politics, dirty business practices and manipulations? Yes he could deal with that. He would make a poor Count of Fillydelphia if he didn't, after all it was in his blood - one shared with his ancestors who had to deal with fair share of backstabber and schemers themselves. At the same time however his bloodline was that of a sword, and this was where Squall felt himself most comfortable. Whatever by stealth or out open, it didn't matter as long it was direct.

But all that said he didn't really liked what he saw what now.

"That gas, it looks like it came from within the building!" 

"You don't say..." Squall quipped, perhaps a little too dryly. "Seeing that this worked I would say that D'Fletcher forgot about installing air-conditioning between all that scheming and complacency." despite the situation noblepoy couldn't help but give a shot on the marquis.

"I've never seen anything like this before. We have to save the partygoers first! Let's open these windows open to vent out some of the gas." 

"And I think I did, but let's not count our chickens yet. And about the plan....Rescuing -good, opening - not so much. You mean with handles? Ones under the gas cloud right now?" Swift pointed some obvious flaws with that strategy.

"That's said....the idea is not without the...charm..." he added, the last word surprisingly coming out with a little. But it was clear why in the second. Squall's horn was glowing brightly while eying a chandelier next to one on which the two were sitting right now.

Night could hear a grunt coming from the stallion following by the first crack. Either the ceiling or parts of chandelier started to give in. A moment later with quick yank a whole light fixture was ripped out, accompanied by large cloud of dust along with few falling bricks and pieces of wood.

"Yeah that could do the trick. Let's check if it would."

Without any further delay the mass of crystal and metal flied past the pair, smashing the windows....or more accurately the whole window wall. After the rumbling noise died down Swift stared at his own work.

"That should do it. Look how quickly it's disappearing. Night There must been a draft coming from other parts of the mansion."

Indeed the green vapor was visibly thinning out. Squall didn't waited for the full effect. Swordpony gave the black mare a sign to stay where she was, before taking a deep breath and jumping down. Unicorn walked toward the closest pony - a mare - an gently placing his leg against her neck. An expression of relief appeared on Squall's face and he quickly rejoined the Night at the remaining chandelier.

"They....<huff>...are alright ...<huff>....I know ...<huff>...what it was....<huff>...now." he said while catching his breath.

It was kind of obvious that the gas came from the inside or that opening the windows the regular way would not be easy. But then in a sudden display of magic Swift ripped down the chandelier and used the pieces of the ceiling to shatter the windows. 

"That should do it. Look how quickly it's disappearing. Night There must been a draft coming from other parts of the mansion."

"Indeed, whatever that gas was wasn't meant to linger around. I wonder if whoever used it did not take into account the draftiness of the house or if that aspect was all part of the plan for a quick distraction." 

As Swift dove for the nearest pony to rescue, Night too searched for one to rescue. To her surprise as she held her breath in the gas she spotted one of the Maretonian representatives lying on the ground. For a moment she hesitated, hearing how they treated others. But she remembered that if she did not rescue the pony then she was just like them. So she gathered the mare and transported her to safety above the gas.

"It certainly hasn't done much to the guests other than knock them out from what I can see." 

• 4 weeks later...

"It certainly hasn't done much to the guests other than knock them out from what I can see." 

"That's right. It's all that it does....and all that he needed." Squall said. Now that he confirmed that vapor was not lethal he had very clear idea who was behind it.

"This gas can be found in volcanic regions, because it spawns from depths of the earth whoever finds himself within it's reach will fall unconscious.. And since it supply is renewed constantly the victim will never wake up, instead dying in sleep from dehydration and staration." he informed his companion. The gas below continued to dilute even further, and now was almost completely gone. Unicorn jumped down without bothering to protect itself, apparently no longer worrying that it will affect him. As the black mare joined him below he continued his explanation.

"There however exist methods to harvest and contain it safely. And skilled alchemist can make it artificially. Whoever did this had no intent to harm anypony, merely providing himself a clear path." Swift concluded. Another fragment of the wall collapsed down as he spoke. "...String, you came here just as expected." noblepony said. Night could recognize the name of the thief about which the two spoke during their ride to the ball.

"But what is your prize?"

As if to answer his question a sound of grand organs was heard coming from far above.

"Of course, upstairs, the one place where you wouldn't be affected." Squall realized. Stallion then turned around to address his companion.

"Even if he wouldn't play, it would naive to assume that he didn't heard any of...this Night." swordpony pointed his hoof where minute ago was wall and the windows.

"Now it is obvious that's String's aware that at least somepony still awake. And he doesn't care."

With these words Swift headed towards the stairs leading at upper floors.

"Come Night. Worry not about those here, they will wake up soon enough. Right now it falls on us to prevent Broken from escaping with whatever loot he deems fancy."

Hearing Swift speak about the gas, Night learned this required planning to be able to safely extract the volcanic gas, bottle it, and then release it at the precise moment. On the other hoof, the gas wasn't in such a lethal dose, meaning that the user merely wanted to knock out the ponies. 

"...String, you came here just as expected. But what is your prize? "Of course, upstairs, the one place where you wouldn't be affected. Come Night. Worry not about those here, they will wake up soon enough. Right now it falls on us to prevent Broken from escaping with whatever loot he deems fancy."

"Wait a minute! If this is a charity gala, then surely all of the proceeds are held in some central cache, like a vault. Not to mention what D'Fletcher has of his own in terms of valuables. Do you know of some room where he keeps his treasures hidden?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"Wait a minute! If this is a charity gala, then surely all of the proceeds are held in some central cache, like a vault. Not to mention what D'Fletcher has of his own in terms of valuables. Do you know of some room where he keeps his treasures hidden?" 

"....I don't believe that String is interested in money. He never was. And besides criminal he may be, but stealing from children is too low even for him." swordpony explained.

"Broken always favored trophies of more...cultural and artistic value. Which D'Fletcher wouldn't keep in a safe anyway, such things are to be admired not locked in a dark room. Besides, nothing screams 'Treasure here!' like a vault with two meters thick steel walls. Not that it would stop this thief." Swift begrudgingly admitted Broken String abilities.

"If there is a hidden room, our best bet would be to follow this music." stallion added. "Seeing that he started after the wall collapsed he isn't shying from confrontation either."

Without any further words noblepony started ascending the stairs in a hurry, hoping that Watcher wouldn't have any further objections. He met String few times too many, and it was about time that this robber was to receive just punishment. As he climbed higher and higher organ tone became louder and clearer with each floor. But when they were on the fourth one he suddenly stopped.

"Something occurred to me Night. Broken clearly expects me, seeing that I fought him earlier this evening before the gala." unicorn subconsciously touched the bandage on his shoulder.

"He however has no knowledge of You. We can use this to our advantage." Swift said in jolly voice while turning towards black mare.

"And he isn't much higher either. I know that this dress is a little restrictive but you can still fly heh?" he started "It's doubtful that he may best me in straight combat. String however may attempt to weasel himself out when things would start going bad for him. He did that before and he has many tricks up to his sleeve. He will probably go straight towards the window. " noblepony gave Lunar Guard a quite disturbing smirk. Perhaps Squall was enjoying a prospect of putting String behind bars a little too much.

"And you will be waiting, when he last expects it. And if there is no window....well I will make one then."

"Good point," Night said as she listened to what exactly Broken String was out to steal. Well at least he didn't want the charity money. Still any trophy or artifact of value was fair game, and she couldn't allow that to happen. 

"If there is a hidden room, our best bet would be to follow this music." stallion added. "Seeing that he started after the wall collapsed he isn't shying from confrontation either."

"Music? I'm not hearing any..." Night started until she was halfway up the stairs and hear organ music playing somewhere in the house! Was this thief so brazen as to stick around and play a song? They quickly ascended, thankfully Night's dress wasn't hindering her flight. But suddenly as she thought the music was only going to grow louder and they would find its source, it stopped. 

"Something occurred to me Night. Broken clearly expects me, seeing that I fought him earlier this evening before the gala. He however has no knowledge of You. We can use this to our advantage. And he isn't much higher either. I know that this dress is a little restrictive but you can still fly heh?"

"Right, I might not be able to run in it, but you bet I can fly." 

"It's doubtful that he may best me in straight combat. String however may attempt to weasel himself out when things would start going bad for him. He did that before and he has many tricks up to his sleeve. He will probably go straight towards the window. And you will be waiting, when he last expects it. And if there is no window....well I will make one then."

"Ah, so you want to lead him to what he thinks is an escape route, only I'll be there to nab him," Night said with a smile seeing that Swift was maybe too interested in seeing this criminal behind bars, "I like that. Alright, you tell me where to position myself and you can lead him to me." 

• 2 weeks later...

"Judging from the direction it has to be attic..." stallion pondered mumbling, as much to himself as towards Night.

"Start from the roof, and listen either for the tune or voices. Or sound of...struggle." Swift said, slightly menacing tone. However it was clear that this animosity was not directed towards black pegasus.

"And if there will be not a direct entrance....well I will make sure to provide String....and You with one."

Squall's gaze fell at the nearest window, making his intent clear. The window itself was locked, with a rather complicated lock at that. Unicorn didn't bothered with subtlety however. After turning D'Fletcher ballroom into over-sized veranda, crushing window lock and almost ripping it off the hinges could be considered tame.

Regardless it was free for Night to use, and Squall was sure that as a member of Lunar Guard she was no stranger to night-flights.

"This is where we split up. I will try to draw things out as long as possible so you can find us. Be wary Night. Even if you startle him, you only have one chance. It won't take Broken long to shake off the surprise." nobelpony explained before trotting back to the stairs. "Counting on you." he thrown back, before assuming his ascent. It didn't took him long. After climbing just one floor the stairs ended and he found himself in a library. Possibly one of the few if D'Fletcher mansion was planned at least in somewhat similar extent as Squallcoast Manor was.

Squall stepped between shelves quietly, sword already drawn and ready. While music still played, which meant that String was still occupied it didn't excluded a possibility of trap. From him or Fletcher. His worries was unnecessary however, as he soon found what he sought.

"Hidden passage behind a bookshelf." he snorted at sight of ajar hidden door. "How cliché." Swift expressed contempt for Marquis lack of  imagination before going inside.

As expected, it housed final, secret set of stairs. Swordpony climbed them as stealthy as possible, at the top a ray of light coming from half open doors could be seen. The music that he's been following became exceptionally strong as well.

When he finished ascending, Squall pressed himself against the wall. Slowly, very slowly he leaned to take a peak.

There he was! Like if it was not in hurry at all, String was sitting before the organs and ysing his wing to - Squall had to admit - play this impressive tune.

Was a Night in the position? He couldn't tell from where he was if the attic had a window or not. Well he had to assume that she was. Just to be safe Swift slowly counted up to sixty. And then...

"STRING!"

Squall roared while he slammed the door open with his magic. The poor door couldn't take this rough treatment and fell off from the hinges.

"Ah, Monsieur Squall! Ce n'est pas trop tôt! I was beginning to fear that you will not appear at all." Broken answered, in this horrible, Prench accent of his...

"Start from the roof, and listen either for the tune or voices. Or sound of...struggle." 

It was clear from his voice that Swift was angry, though Night knew it was directed towards String. 

"Got it," she said, comfortable with the rooftop position as she often would find herself there when on patrols. 

"This is where we split up. I will try to draw things out as long as possible so you can find us. Be wary Night. Even if you startle him, you only have one chance. It won't take Broken long to shake off the surprise. Counting on you."

"I won't let you down," Night said as she watched Swift disappear before she exited via an open window and flew up to the roof. She flew around the eaves, spying for a window in which she could jump in and apprehend the thief. As she neared the one window, she could hear an organ playing and suddenly an explosion was heard with Swift shouting. She planned to rush in but stopped. All she needed to was to wait until she saw String in the window. 

• 4 weeks later...

"So mousier Squallcoast, we meet once again. In the span of one day to boot! That has to be a record." Broken said, apparently nonchalant about noblepony enmity. Now that String stopped playing an stood up Night could see him in all of his 'glory'. From somepony who was a master thief, he looked - and acted - like complete dandy. First was that enormous hat of his with a matching feather of some unidentified tropical bird. A headgear more suited to some prima donna on vacation then high caliber robber. Accompanying it was mandatory domino mask (this one more ornate then usually seen), dark colored doublet with poofy shoulders and sleeves, and a part of pantaloons! Complementing the picture of fashion antiquity was half cape, draped over one of his shoulders. He and Squall couldn't look any different...and despite that, on some basic level String appeared somewhat charming.

"To my disgust. This place had enough jackals as it was, some from far away Kastrot. But when I thought it couldn't be any worse, here comes the vulture." Squall answered to the Broken's statement. His expression was such as if he stepped into something extremely filthy.

"Ah, mon amis! Such violent and hurtful words from you. Almost as hurtful as those bandages on my body!" thief half whined.

"I am not your friend, but your bane!" Swift growled angrily "And before the sun rises, you will be in need of the cast, not just bandages."

"Such malice monsieur Squall! But maybe you should take a look at instrument which melody guided your here first?" Broken gave a rhetorical question before stepping aside to give noblepony a better look.

Swift squinted his eyes, but a second later surprise and confusion crept onto his face. "That's....Saganini organs? Only three survived to this day and are treated as National Treasures. What is this doing here?"

"Well mousier Squallcoast, you are looking at the fourth one. It seems that Marquis is much more interested in building the collection, instead of helping securing cultural heritage of our country. Thus I justly deprive him of it." Broken proceeded to explain. With those words both Squall and still unseen Night could see that magic wand appeared in the grip of String's wing. The thief pointed it towards organs and muttered some incomprehensible word. A ray of light flew from the magic stick towards the instrument....which proceeded to get smaller....and smaller...and even smaller then that. A few seconds later organs looked like miniature model - which was picked up by the thief ans stuffed into what unicorn recognized as Bag of Holding.

"So a big thief steals from bigger one. You really think that changes anything String? Not at all...besides the fact that I should laugh because of your hypocrisy. But seeing that your a vulture you are, you can't give even that." answered the Squall. At long last this seemed to touch the Broken's nerve.

"Enough you béotien barbare! I tried to be patient but my good will reached it's limits!" with those words masked thief drew his rapier.

"Good will? You improving String, that's a second joke in span of the minute. Maybe you should give up on robbery and become a clown? Your already dressed the part"

a smirk appeared on noblepony face as he continued his mocking, while readying his own weapon.

For the moment, Night Watcher could only hear Swift Squall and the unknown pony talking, presumably Broken String. But as the figure rose and confronted Swift, Night could see him there. She had to play it carefully, as coming in too prematurely would ruin the surprise and possibly make String vanish again or worse hurt her or Swift. She was about to enter when she saw Broken utter something and the old organ suddenly shrink to the size of a model, the kind foals might play with, and stuff it into his bag.

She immediately was shaken from her amazement as String drew his rapier and Swift also drew his weapon. This was it. Broken was distracted and she had a clear shot. She launched through the window, shielding her face from the impact as her aimed the full force of her hooves at Broken.

• 3 weeks later...

Squall already exchanged a first blow with String when he saw Watcher pouncing at Broken from behind. No, it was too soon! He wasn't tired enough yet!

"Night n..ghh!" noblpony grunted when he was kicked into the head by the thief who exploited his distraction. And Broken was also aware enough to see where Swift was looking.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est? Papillon Reel!" with those words String's rapier shined with quickly changing colors of the whole spectrum before blindly slashing while twisting around.

Squall could see Night being swallowed bye the twister of myriad..butterflies? No, a magical constructs that looked like butterflies. Glowing, each of them with different color they spun like tornado. A second later the attack dispelled and Night was thrown into nearby wall. Her dress in shambles, black mare looked like she received some hard pummeling from the light-constructs.

"Dame?!" said the String, clearly surprised that this new attacker was a mare, and horrified by what he had done. So surprised and horrified that he didn't completely dodged a strike that came from behind. Swift ******* sword gave the thief a nasty cut at the side, second too late and Broken would end up gutted.

"String." he growled. If his previous enmity wasn't clear before, the icy glare and hate dripping words only reaffirmed it. The room filled with whizzes and grinding of metal. Both of the fighters were moving at an incredible speed their movements and reflexes alike lightning. But it was clear who had an advantage here. Squall was bigger, more fit and his weapon carried more weight. He also had little restraint, and had no issue with using everything around to his advantage. Like that priceless vase which now crashed on Broken's head. Or sucker punching him into kidney, while using painting to temporary trap his rapier. Night had a first pony view on that.

The short duel concluded when noblepony deflected a glancing blow from the tired thief, before blasting him into antique dresser. String himself had apparently no strength.to fight anymore. He was just laying against now broken piece of furniture while trying to catch his breath.

Swift gave Night a worried look. Confirming that she will be alright swordpony approached defeated robber, his weapon still ready beside him in the air.

"You miscalculated your chances with this robbery String. It's over." Squall said while looking down on the other stallion.

"Oui. I miscalculated alright. And this evening over too, just as you said. In that case I will say - Until next time Monsieur Squallcoast." said pegasus in response.

"What are you talking abou ~" unicorn started before he cried in surprise and disappeared in cloud of dust. Where he was standing was a perfectly round hole....and pointing at it was magic wand, held in the grasp of String's tail.

"Bonne soirée Monsieur Squall." said the robber as he quickly put himself on his hooves. Apparently he was in much better shape then his earlier behavior would suggest. String gazed down the hole and gave a sharp whistle. "Spectaculaire, all the way to the first floor. Worth every single bit." he commented while gazing with affection at magic wand that saved his rump.

And then he noticed still present Night Watcher.

"Oh..."

There was no clue when Night should have attacked. She didn't know that Swift was wanting to wear down Broken String before she entered, only that she wanted to enter and be an element of surprise. But as she attacked. she saw Swift with a horrified expression at her arrival.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est? Papillon Reel!"

"Nnnghh!" Night groaned as she was attached by Broken's magic, sending her hurtling against the wall. As she tried recovering from the hit, she watched the swordplay between the noble pony and the master thief. Her appearance and the sense of remorse for him hurting her, a mare was enough for Swift to gain the upper hoof, but just when she got to her feet and approach Broken String, Swift fell through a hole opened in the floor!

"Swift!" Night screamed, realizing she couldn't help him and get Broken at the same time. Her only hope was that Swift survived the fall. But she knew Swift would want her to finish the fight.

"Remember me?" Night said as she planted a hit directly on Broken's head, hoping the blow was enough to knock him out or at least daze him.

• 2 weeks later...

Broken reeled backwards from punch of a angry mare.

"Ah mademoiselle please this...." pegasus thief started before dodging another furious blow. His quickness only confirmed that String's earlier helplessness was nothing more then an act to make Squall lower his guard. "...this...ack!..." he gave a squeak while barely sidestepping another hoof strike. "This further violence is really unnecessary!"

Broken pleads fell on the deaf ears of course. While he skillfully dodged everything that Night threw at him, it seemed that masked stallion was unwilling to harm a mare and did nothing to retaliate. However he couldn't avoid the black mare forever and after a while Night pushed him into a corner. Interactively he covered his face with the loot sack...

And that was an opening he needed. Broken notice that Night hesitated from smashing Harmony-know how valuable instrument, now shrunken and resting inside the bag. Masked pegasus didn't hesitated. In one leap he reached the black mare, putting his hooves on her shoulders. Before she could fathom what was happening, he quickly spun her around forcing the mare into unintentional pirouette. A second later guardsmare was dizzy and wobbling on her legs. In the next she was swept off them. Watcher didn't hit the ground however instead caught by the thief's firm hooves...who proceeded with his greatest felony yet!

Broken could feel the mare going stiff in his hooves as he did what thief does best - stealing. In this case the kiss, and judging how paralyzed with shock black mare became the first one at that. Masked pegasus gently laid now catatonic mare on the floor. "Of all that things I ever stolen mademoiselle, this one I deem the most precious. Adieu!"

And before anypony could stop him, String jumped through the window with his wings stretched wide and disappeared into the night. A minute later Swift Squall barged once again into the room. Covered in dust and with pieces of debris and wood splinters in his mane he shoot angry glares at the corners. Aside from this and being a little disheveled noblepony appeared to be unharmed.

"String..." he growled, but immediately afterwards noticed that the robber was truly gone. Moment later he noticed Night Watcher, still on the floor. He hurried next to her helping the mare shifting into sitting position.

"Night, you alright? What did he did? You look flustered."

This Broken String was good at blocking her attacks, but still Night persisted to strike. She was fueled not only by her duty to stop the string of robberies but to her friends who there was no telling how he was.

"Ah mademoiselle please this.... this...ack!... This further violence is really unnecessary!"

"Talking will get you nowhere with me," Night said continuing her attack, "I'm going to take you down have you locked away!"

For a moment she though she had String, pinning him to the corner, but as she was about to deal the final blow he held up the sack with the precious, now miniature piano! She hesitated to hit it, and that was when he disoriented her. Before the dazed mare could rebound, String did the unthinkable: a kiss! It must have been some kiss as she felt her legs give way and her collapse to the floor, letting the gentlepony thief escape! It was only the sound of Swift entering the room that woke her from her daze. 

"Night, you alright? What did he did? You look flustered."

"I...I had him but he overpowered me and got away," she said getting up now willing to admit how he overpowered her, "Are you ok?"

• 3 weeks later...
On 1.04.2016 at 4:00 PM, Lux said:

"I...I had him but he overpowered me and got away," she said getting up now willing to admit how he overpowered her, "Are you ok?"

"Don't worry about me I once jumped from top floor of Tree Avenue NewsCenter. This much is nothing" Squall dismissed the issue after name-dropping Manehattan famous skyscraper.
 "Don't worry about String. It's not the first time he slipped out. You being fine is much more important." noblepony reassured the Night Guard. Through the window both of them could see emergency lights approaching the mansion. "About time they sowed up...."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two hours later REA was finishing securing the mansion. Squall who already finished giving his accounts of tonight events approached blanket wrapped Night Watcher. "This place will be a mess for a while." stallion mused as he sat down next to her. Minute later both of them were given a well earned cups of coffee.

"First of all, thanks for putting a word for me Night. Me and Army...don't see eye to eye very often - aside from few individuals of course. Partly my fault I guess - property damage and all. As Stalliongrad Garrison Commander used to say, I tend to make things '#%@! complicated' when I am involved." Swift started. "Broken is clear culprit here...but so it happens that D'Fletcher has has own share of explaining as well. Turns out that besides the organs he had a lot of things he shouldn't have. He better hire very good lawyer, or rather a dozen. No more charity ball's for him anyway." noblepony shrugged before taking a sip of his coffee. "That probably means that Maretonians will need somepony else with connections. Even if Marquis will weasel his way out of this, his reputation is ruined. Associating with him would bring too much attention to them..."

Squall fell silent for a moment before a realization flashed on his face. "Sorry Night. I tend to think aloud sometimes, and I am pouring all of this on you. Sorry about the evening as well. I tried to give you new experiences, new perspective. But in the end you ended up doing you job anyway huh?"

Night felt bad about losing Broken String, especially in the way that he... eluded her. 

"I'm glad that you're safe too. Catching criminals is one of my priorities as a Lunar Guard, but making sure those who are with me are safe is my top priority." 

It took some convincing to the local guards what happened, but Night managed to explain it. Given that she was of a higher rank than the responders helped. As she sat down, minus her dress which was unceremoniously set aside having been damaged beyond repair, Swift thanked her for her efforts. 

"Thank you for showing a fun day. I don't think I'd ever expect doing this unless you showed up. You're right, before this I wasn't much of a fan of vigilantes, but now I can see that we need all the help we can get to protect this city and others." 

Swift then explained what would happen, voicing his disdain how certain ponies would evade justice.

"No need to apologize. You want justice, and some may not get that. But in the end, yeah, we did our jobs and we did our best, and I for one had a good, if not interesting night." 

Archived