Touch the Sky

RainbowFoxxy

It turned out that it just took a boost of confidence to get Flourish ready for the hoop course. She went through the first, brushing her wing along the side of the ring but not breaking her stride. Sky Flare pulled ahead of her as he cleared the first hoop and then lined up for the second. He could have gone faster but he wanted to make sure Flourish was doing ok.

"The third hoop is lower than this one we're about to pass through, so you're going to have dive and then come back up for the others. Just keep focused and follow my lead."

• 2 weeks later...

Flourish nodded, her concentration very intense at the moment. If she could only fly these loops correctly she might be able to redeem herself for earlier. She followed Sky Flare through the loops, cutting in and diving like he had suggested. Soon they were through the course and coming back in for a landing. She floded her wings back and stood in front of the Wonderbolts, waiting for their response.

"Whew! Made it!" She muttered to Sky Flare as they waited.

"Well, well, well, certainly some improvement here." Spitfire walked towards them. "You can see now how keeping yourself together keeps you from burning out too quickly. Very good!" She looked around. "Anypony else on the course?"

• 1 month later...

(for this thread don't feel you must wait on a posting order. If you have something to post then please post it! :D I've gone out of order a few times just to keep the thread alive...we can re-establish posting order once things get moving!)

With a quick bite of his apple, Sleet Shock finally set down after his final day of flight. It has been a rather interesting trip having flown straight from home after hearing from one of the tourists about this amazing opportunity, and he wasn't one who was going to pass up on an open session with the Wonderbolts. Sleet Shock has been making his journey for a few days now, as per the usual trips that he has to take whenever there’s something of interest. Once he had heard the news of a Wonderbolt sponsored camp, he immediately went to his director discussing the next few days off. To his surprise he was allowed, and left for the trip as soon as he had the chance, bringing his snow goggles, and neck bag for the trip there.

With his arrival, he managed to land near enough to the camp to take a look at what would've been happening. He knew that the trip from Marelia would not be much of a challenge for him, so he wanted to take a look at what was going to await him. With the other mares and colts doing what looked like obstacle courses, he decided this might be the best of times to approach. He lowered his goggles and did his best to approach with a sense of confidence, in order to not feel as if he does not deserve his chance to fly with such a special selection of stars.

”Uhm… Excuse me?” Sleet Shock said, approaching the mare who was leading the gang, One by the name of SpitFire. ”My apologies for arriving late. I flew from Marelia as soon as I heard of this opportunity. Is it alright if I joined as well?”

As Night Fire flew like her life depended on it, she cursed her mother's insistence that she complete her chores before doing going to her 'frivolous training day'. Her mother didn't understand how much she wanted, needed, to be a Wonderbolt. SIlver Star was one of Celestia's Royal Guard and regarded the 'Bolts as a bunch of glory-hogs and had argued on more than one occasion about Night's wishes to be one of them. The argument this morning had led to Silver telling her that she wouldn't be able to go at all unless she had done her assigned chores.

Hence she was flying so quickly that she wished she had put her goggles on before flying out of the house. She could barely see where she was flying as she approached the training grounds, cursing her luck as she felt the start of a case of wing cramp. She slowed her speed as she reached the site then looked around before landing next to a mare in a Wonderbolt uniform and a stallion. Night winced as pain shot through muscles in her wing, then snapped out a salute as she realized who the mare was. "Captain Spitfire, Sir!".

She winced again as she remembered that, while her mother would like to be addressed as Sir, some female officers didn't. "Ma'am".

At last Sky Flare and Flourish cleared the last hoop and landed back where the two started. The white Pegasus could feel his muscles burn a little, particularly in his wings, after the run. Even for a stunt pony who practiced every chance he could the course was tougher than he imagined! He was glad though he succeeded as did Flourish.

"See, I knew you could make it," he said with a wink to Flourish, "You just have to keep a positive attitude that's all."

"Well, well, well, certainly some improvement here." Spitfire walked towards them. "You can see now how keeping yourself together keeps you from burning out too quickly. Very good!"

"Thanks," Sky said as he relaxed a little, knowing that it wasn't just about completing the course the fastest but using teamwork to help each other. Still with this comment the stallion knew not to let it get to his head.

Night smiled as she worked the mild case of cramp out of her wing and walked over to Sleet as she guessed her wing was probably fit to fly before frowning as she saw that the ring exercise seemed to be for pairs. She glanced at Spitfire before building her confidence enough to look at the ring course which had been set up. She guessed she could make it through at speed, she was used to low altitude flying at speed through Canterlot so this didn't look too difficult.

Night glanced at the stallion and Spitfire as she took in as much of the course as she could then smiled at the stallion. he was bigger and older than she was but she guessed she was probably faster and more maneuverable than he was. All in all, she guessed she was probably more likely to win if she challenged him to a race. "Since we're both late do you want to race?".

She decided to ignore the little voice in the back of her head reminding her of what Pride tended to come before.

With the entrance of another, Sleet looked to the side to see the new companion. She looked like quite the energetic one that's for certain. He took a second to think about her request, seeing as his skills laid more in endurance then speed he probably wouldn't have too much of a chance at this. Looking up at the rest of the ponies here everyone was working in pairs. Maybe a Speed test wouldn't be the worst thing to test out. All things considered that's what he came here to test anyways.

"I wouldn't mind much no," he said, "It's not really my field though, so don't expect too high of a challenge. I would like to hear a little more from our teacher though, since we arrived a little later than expected."

He really had to think of a way to use his endurance to his advantage. He at least managed to fly here straight from home, food breaks aside. But was there anyway to use it for speed? Hopefully he'd be able to find out here.

[[ OOC: gonna try and stagger posts a bit, things have seemed to die down but I just wanna leave room for everyone else to post ]]

Archived