Ponyfinder - Interest Check Thread

Hello everypony! Flight Risk here (Risky if you prefer a shorter name to address me by), to tell you about a game idea I was hoping to run here on the Canterlot forums.

Is anypony familiar with Pathfinder, or perhaps Dungeons & Dragons? If the answer is yes, draw yourself to the next question. If the answer is no and you wish to learn more, also draw yourself to the next question anyway!

Have you ever seen the "Ponyfinder" rules for Pathfinder? These include several different ways to incorporate MLP: FiM into a fantasy-like setting (or a more modern one if that were preferred!)

I have two links to show everypony to help them educate themselves on the subject matter I speak of:

Pathfinder Classes:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes.html

Race Guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-GH6H2O2dYpkzSViZF9uS8keNAeMeLHDHId3vBjR9iY/edit?pli=1

Something to keep in mind about races and classes: I'm really leery about allowing evil races (like the Lunar Ponies, Changelings, and Dragons) unless the players are willing to play GOOD characters. Like, the exceptions to the rule, you know?)

What I am to do is get a small group of players who are interested in playing to create characters (with a little help from your friendly neighborhood Game Master) and are willing to play in a setting shortly after, or many years before the current series.

So, can I have a role call of interested ponies? Or perhaps I could field some questions? :D

Oh, but one question as i have forgoten it, what is the char sheet?

The sheet looks a lot like this:

http://files.meetup.com/12582952/Character_Sheet_Pathfinder_Print_and_Write.pdf

But of course we would be working on characters together until they were finished.

I'll be there every step of the way if there should be any questions :)

Alright, how do i fill that out for this though? I have a char in mind though i have no idea on how to set that out for this.

Hmm, well our best bet would be to find a fill-able character sheet to use for site purposes. The big problem with them is usually that the data can't be saved to the form themselves.

Since this is an interest thread, maybe I can find some good sheets and dice rollers for us to use as well?

Give me a few moments to gather up a few good sites ;)

EDIT:

Here we go! A fillable sheet and a dice roller (for ability scores and other things!)

http://www.zumii.co.uk/Docs/RPGs/PathfinderFillable-Zumii-v2.5.2.pdf

http://www.rdinn.com/dice_roller.php

A few things everypony should know:

In using that dice roller, you are going to be rolling for six primary stats: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.

With the Red Dragon dice roller, you will roll 4 six sided die, dropping the lowest die rolled. You will repeat this step for every stat. Everypony has the option to allow me to reroll their lowest stat in hopes of making it better (and hopefully not worse) but if the stat ends up worse than the one you rolled, you are by no means obligated to take my roll.

hi there I'd be very interested in joining if i can though I have never played a tabletop game in my life despite wanting to so I'd be a complete newbie with the mechanics

Thanks a lot Daring for the warm welcome and the reassurance its nice to know I won't be the only one on a learning curb I've been looking for pathfinder guides and looking at character sheets and its all lines and numbers to me

Oh, there is a downloadable one, you can fill that sheet out, its a lot easier then making your own

The only bits i get is the name section, and how to start the stats. Everythign else is just a dark path

hmm I might try that, couldn't hurt to try the official way

the only things that seem to click with me is basic class and racial benefits, basically the stuff you typically think of for regular roleplays, I'm still not sure what kind of character I want, though I think I'm leaning mostly towards a Pegasus with rogue traits, the class served me well in rpgs, though Griffins and Changelings sound pretty interesting, out of curiosity do you have any ideas about your character?

Hello SquallLine! Forgive me for not giving you a welcome sooner!

I would be more than happy to help you start your character, all you really need to do to start is have an idea of what you want to go with and then from there we can go over the base mechanics like dice rolls, ability scores, and things of that nature. ;)

its no problem at all FlightRisk, its a pleasure to make your acquaintance and thank you :) i'd very much appreciate the help because boy do i feel i need it XD

the kind of character i was thinking of as i mentioned to RainbowDaringDash was a pegasus of the rogue class, so i guess in my mind i like light armour, dagger weapons, Acrobatics are probably a good bet, picking locks, disarming traps, and some strength wouldn't hurt so my character's attacks do more than tickle a foe, these are just what i feel fit the character i have in mind since i can't imagine her going assasins creed on everything XD thats basically what i had in mind coming at it from my usual point of view, any idea if any of that could work in someway?

its no problem at all FlightRisk, its a pleasure to make your acquaintance and thank you :) i'd very much appreciate the help because boy do i feel i need it XD

the kind of character i was thinking of as i mentioned to RainbowDaringDash was a pegasus of the rogue class, so i guess in my mind i like light armour, dagger weapons, Acrobatics are probably a good bet, picking locks, disarming traps, and some strength wouldn't hurt so my character's attacks do more than tickle a foe, these are just what i feel fit the character i have in mind since i can't imagine her going assasins creed on everything XD thats basically what i had in mind coming at it from my usual point of view, any idea if any of that could work in someway?

That would be perfectly fine! It wouldn't be hard to do at all, actually. I would say at first glance if I were to make a character like that I would ensure the following:

• If you focus on knives, take the Knife Master archetype for the rogue class. As long as you wield a dagger as your weapon, your sneak attack damage does from using 6-sided dice to 8-sided, making you more of a threat.
  • A high dexterity score accompanied by the Weapon Finesse feat, to enable you to use your dexterity bonus to determine whether your attacks hit as opposed to your strength.

Those are just friendly and helpful suggestions to help you build your character type more.

Hey there! Id be happy to take a spot in this, been wanting to get back into Canterlot RP and this looks like a good start! Pathfinder is my favorite game system and.Id love to play.

Archived