A Sweet Diversion (Private ATTN: StaticPinks)

Lux

Sweet Surprise sat at the counter in her candy shop looking not her usual hyperactive self. Gone was the bounce in her step and her mane even looked less like the normal poofy style and more like she just failed to do anything with it when rolling out of bed. But it was her amber eyes that were the dead giveaway, once sparkling like butterscotch in the sunlight now having the lights going out. It was bad enough that she felt this way but besides that there were no ponies that entered her store this day. She couldn't blame them as it was dark and rainy and yucky outside the big storefront windows.

"I just don't know what's wrong with me today," she said slamming her hoof on the counter and causing the cash register door to pop open with a loud ding of a bell that unfazed her as she reached over lethargically and closed it, "I had a good night's sleep and I had my oat meal with double brown sugar like I normally do along with three cups of super dark hot chocolate, but still I feel... yucky. I couldn't even make my fabulous fudge right today or even a peppermint stick. Maybe because I'm yucky my candy is too. But why? Why am I so yucky?"

She turned to see a photograph of Mr. Cocoa, her former boss and a loving second father to her along with Mrs. Cocoa who she didn't see ever but heard wonderful tales from the store owner. now Mr. Cocoa had gone away with his wife and he was not coming back. He did one last gesture though by leaving Sweet Surprise his shop and home, and this was something the mare was excited at.

"What's wrong with me Mr. Cocoa?" the mare spoke to the photograph as if it would come to life and respond back, "I just don't know why I'm yucky! I've settled the whole parents thing in my dreams, but this is different. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm missing what I'm missing! Oh I wish somepony would just enter this door and help cheer me up."

Fable Weaver ran through the depressing, barren streets of Canterlot, drenched from his horribly wet mane to the tips of his hooves, desperately trying to locate his hotel that he was planning on using for the night. He had taken a rather peaceful, well-needed day to himself to visit his favourite uncle Bright Bolt, whom he had a rather pleasant relationship with him growing up as a young colt. Fable had just recently finished the last draft to another mystery novel, this time involving a hooffull of gems and a large wedding cake, and the work had kept him occupied for a long while. Of course he thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but sometimes his publisher really pressed him for a tight deadline, and had really worn out his creative imagination. A visit to the illustrious city while visiting Old Uncle Bright was a very pleasing way to get his mind off things and relax for a day or two, but the weather really wasn't helping much at all.

Fable had lost track of time visiting Bright Bolt, and was caught in a rather nasty storm halfway to his hotel. Fable had panicked a fair bit, as would anypony in such a downpour, so much that he was completely turned around in the maze of a city. Fable had journeyed to the royal city a fair number of times for book deals, signing events, relative visits, but never enough to truly know the city and its landmarks.

Fable was still galloping along, desperately finding at least someplace to dry off and wait the storm out, when Celestia finally gave him a bone when he spotted a rather cheerful little store with its lights on. Fable let out a tiny cry of happiness and ran even faster until he was right at the door. A brief glance at the store's signage told him that it was a candy store that belonged to a "Mr. Cocoa", and it was indeed open, despite the weather. Perhaps he was a hospitable pony and allowed the bespectacled stallion to stay until the rain cleared, Fable hoped that was the case. Maybe he even knew where his hotel was!

Fable knocked twice on the door before letting himself in, trotting at a fast pace until he was clear past the door. Fable shook himself from the water he accumulated in his coat and mane by reflex, letting the rain spray in rather large radius. After he was done, Fable glanced around the candy store, searching for this Mr. Cocoa before laying his eyes on a young mare behind a counter, gazing down at what seemed to be a photograph. She seemed rather...sad right now, something that made Fable pity her, not because he found her to be quite cute, but who wouldn't be in how gloomy it looked outside, not to mention the lack of ponies would go out in this rain and buy some jelly beans or something. Jelly beans actually sounded really good to Fable right now, perhaps he could buy some and get that mare to smile a bit, maybe that's what she needs. Fable enjoyed some candy from time to time, as would anypony really.

"Quite the torrent, out there, wouldn't you say, miss," said Fable Weaver to the mare at the counter, keeping an upbeat, positive tone in his voice, along with his slight Manehatten accent, while gazing at a wall full of sweet surprises, shifting his eyes to the cute looking mare every so often. "Sorry for bringing most of what was outside in your little shop of treats, but I needed someplace to lay my hooves until this dreadful weather passes. You wouldn't mind if I stayed her a spell, and buy some of your delectable candy? Weather like this can drive away anypony's salary, unfortunately."

The knocking on the door made Sweet Surprise look up suddenly. It could have been something hitting the building outside like a branch. After all she did flip the sign from Closed to Open for the day, did she? As if questioning her mind the mare slowly and lethargically got off the stool and walked towards the door to investigate it. Before she could get from behind the counter, the door opened as a burst of rain and wind swept inside. That gave Sweet a temporary boost of speed to send her galloping past the stallion and grabbing the door kept open by the wind until it finally shut. Passing back to meet the stallion, she could see he was a handsome Pegasus and friendly as well.

"Yes it is a doozy of a downpour," the mare said while grabbing her mane and tail and wringing out the water like a wash cloth, "And that's ok, you don't have to apologize for coming here. No candy got rained on which is good, because who wants to buy a wet mushy mess of sugar. Then again I don't think that many ponies are going to come here today, except you of course."

Noticing that the picture of the late Mr. and Mrs. Cocoa was left unceremoniously on the counter she took it and set it on the nearby shelf behind the counter in it's place of honor before continuing.

"Anyway, welcome to my shop, or just recently my shop. I'm Sweet Surprise. What's your name?"

Fable watched as the mare ran to close the door that he so carelessly left open in his haste to enter the candy shop. He noted how fast she moved, impressed with either the fact that she must have really cared for the business if she moved that quickly, or that she may have been sampling some of the stock, on a more humourous outlook to the mare with a very flattering pattern of various shades of brown that looked like chocolate, which accentuated what she was all about.

Fable watched her with a mild sense of interest in her, despite just meeting her, alone, indoors, on a cold, rainy day.He could sense there was something... special about her, but didn't completely know why, which confused the stallion greatly. When had he felt this way before about somepony? The closest he could think up of was when he personally met newly crowned Princess Twilight Sparkle who completely knocked the awkward pegasus off his hooves, as he was quite smitten by her on first glance. This, however, didn't feel entirely like that, but he was indeed curious about the cute-looking, candy shop mare. Fable would have to sort all of that out later, though, he needed to find out more about her than first impressions and half-baked conversations.

"Yes it is a doozy of a downpour," the mare said while grabbing her mane and tail and wringing out the water like a wash cloth, "And that's ok, you don't have to apologize for coming here. No candy got rained on which is good, because who wants to buy a wet mushy mess of sugar. Then again I don't think that many ponies are going to come here today, except you of course."

She certainly was a nice pony, there's a certain energy about her that made you feel welcome around her or in her house. Interesting.

Fable Weaver quickly snapped himself of his silent judging of the mare in front of him, slightly spacing out like he normally does and staring almost questioningly into the mares eyes. She had some really pretty eyes. Fable blushed and rubbed the back of his head with a foreleg before responding.

"Ahahaha...sorry about that miss, I'm always doing that, I'm a rather deep thinker...anyway, I'm glad none of your stock was hurt due to my hasty entrance. that wouldn't' do well for your business," Fable said as his eyes wandered over the interior of the store and the many sweets occupying the space. "Quite a shop you have miss, I can say that I'm already impressed. Are all of these made by yourself, or did you order them in from some place?"

Fable than noticed the mare walking back to her counter, and scooped up what looked to be a picture and placed it underneath where he couldn't see it anymore. She then introduced herself as Sweet Surprise, which confirmed to Fable that she was most likely an apprentice to Mr.Cocoa, or so Now, Fable was not really one to pry into the personal life of other ponies he just met, but it couldn't hurt to just ask her about it, and if she didn't want to talk about it, she didn't have to answer him. Even though he had a hunch that it was obviously someone important to her, a brother, mother, coltfriend, or even the Mr.Cocoa who supposedly ran the business, he wanted to at least try to make acquaintances with the mare who was kind enough to share her home with him until the storm cleared. A little small talk couldn't hurt to start.

"Nice to meet you, Sweet Surprise, my name is Fable Weaver, a mystery novel enthusiast, really nice to meet your acquaintance! Thank you once again for allowing me into your home for a wee bit," Fable said with a thankful smile, which turned into a more bashful one as he started to ask her about the photo. "Umm... Sorry if I'm a tad rude or nosy, but what was that photo you had on your counter a second ago? Is it yours, by perchance? Is it of your...ahh...coltfriend? You...umm, don't have to answer if you don't want to, Miss Surprise. I just surmised that it would be nice to get to know you a bit better. S-So, we can be friends later on, of course!"

Fable blushed brightly, turning away and rubbing his head for the second time in a short span of time. Of course he wanted to try a little harder than he did in his youth to make friends, and that's what he was planning on doing with Sweet Surprise, but Fable wasn't sure if staring at her and silently complimenting her looks was how to make a friend. Fable just had this feeling about her, he didn't understand it, but he was starting to get the same symptoms he got from meeting Princess Twilight, although a lot less intense. Strange.

As Sweet wandered closer to him, she could see his eyes scanning every detail of her. It wasn't the first time that ponies looked at her this way, especially the fact that a mare who looked like she was dipped in chocolate owned a candy store. Yet there was something more to this stallion than just a passing glance, like he was studying her with a desire to know more. It wasn't creepy really, and in fact that the more interested he was with her the more that she was with him.

"Ahahaha...sorry about that miss, I'm always doing that, I'm a rather deep thinker...anyway, I'm glad none of your stock was hurt due to my hasty entrance. that wouldn't' do well for your business," Fable said as his eyes wandered over the interior of the store and the many sweets occupying the space. "Quite a shop you have miss, I can say that I'm already impressed. Are all of these made by yourself, or did you order them in from some place?"

"Order them?" Sweet said with a giggle, "I can tell that you've never been to this store. I make everything here! That's what my talent is you know."

With that Sweet turned to show her cutie mark, a candy wrapped in a pink paper. She had a habit of doing this to put aside any doubts and to help those who needed to see things to understand them.

"Nice to meet you, Sweet Surprise, my name is Fable Weaver, a mystery novel enthusiast, really nice to meet your acquaintance! Thank you once again for allowing me into your home for a wee bit," Fable said with a thankful smile, which turned into a more bashful one as he started to ask her about the photo. "Umm... Sorry if I'm a tad rude or nosy, but what was that photo you had on your counter a second ago? Is it yours, by perchance? Is it of your...ahh...coltfriend? You...umm, don't have to answer if you don't want to, Miss Surprise. I just surmised that it would be nice to get to know you a bit better. S-So, we can be friends later on, of course!"

"Nice to meet you too Fable. Oooo! A mystery fan. I love mysteries too."

Sweet Surprise was a little stunned at how inquisitive the stallion was about her, including the picture. Maybe it was his mystery loving side.

"Oh the picture?" she said looking back at it, "Well it's of Mr. and Mrs Cocoa actually."

With that she carefully showed him the picture of the two elderly ponies as she continued.

"I never met Mrs. Cocoa as Mr. Cocoa said she passed away years before I met him. Mr. Cocoa though was so nice. I honestly think he thought I was like a daughter to him! He taught me everything I know about candy making and even let me work at the shop."

Her expression though turned said as she said, "Mr. Cocoa is gone now, just like Mrs. Cocoa. I really miss him. But he left me his shop and house for me, and I'll never forget him with everything he did for me."

Sweet's eyes went wide in surprise as she remembered what the stallion asked.

"You thought this was of me or a coltfriend? You know, maybe I should have a picture here of me, but then again I'm here so if a pony came in they'd see two of me and might get concerned who the real me is. Because if they don't know who you are then who are you? As for a coltfriend..."

She paused as she realized that there was indeed something missing in her life, but whether it was the thing that made her feel yucky was shill her guess.

"Actually I... don't have a coltfriend. I mean I have stallions that are friendly or friends to me. Just not coltfriends. Guess I'm not lucky that way."

With a sigh Sweet wondered why Fable asked. Unless he was interested in her like that. The thought made her heart skip a beat a little. But Sweet wanted to know for sure.

"So you want to know more about me? Well, so do I! So, are you from Canterlot or just visiting?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Order them?" Sweet said with a giggle, "I can tell that you've never been to this store. I make everything here! That's what my talent is you know."

The first thing the bespectacled visitor noticed was how cute Sweet Surprise's laugh was. The sheer authenticity and sound Fable's young heart soar, to his surprise. The stranger who had taken him in was captivating him to longer he stood there, and he only just arrived!

He then gave Sweet a look of impressiveness, he couldn't believe she actually made all of the candy she now displays proudly in her store for sale! Now he had to try some of it when he gets the chance, a pony who's special talent was making candy had to taste amazing!

When she showed her cutie mark in order to dispel any dis-beliefs Fable may have had, not that he was going to call her a liar or fraud, he felt a slight twinge of embarrassment. Ponies had always shown the talent mark on their flanks, it was quite natural and Fable didn't give too much of a reaction to it, except for small blush and a flick of the eyes to something else in the store.

"T-truly? Now I know you weren't pulling my leg, but I would have believed you anyway, my dear, even if you didn't show me your stunning poste- ahem, your cutie mark! N-now I must at least sample some of it, naturally. The candy, I mean. What might your most popular seller be, or what might you recommend to a first time customer to your lovely shop?"

Fable was then delighted to hear she was a fan of mystery as well, completely clearing his mind of what he just saw. He was glad to hear she enjoyed the stories and suspense brought forth in such novels. Fable wasn't a pony to boast his talents around and wave it around like a colt, but it wouldn't hurt to ask if she had ever heard of him before, being a mystery lover and all.

"Well, Ms. Surprise, I'm not just another fan, mind you. My occupation devotes myself to writing such fiction, and not to boast, but I am quite a hit author in the world of literature. I don't have one of my novels with me at the moment, but I would be glad to give you a free signed copy, if you wish. My father has always said my best series has been the 'Professor Hoof Print' series, so I would certainly get you the first novel the next time I'm in Canterlot!"

As Fable continued his chat, he had to bring up the photo, despite feeling a little nosy while doing it, but when Fable is presented a little real-life mystery, he just had to solve it for himself, even if he broke a few personal boundaries to do it.

When Sweet mentioned her mentor and friend Mr. Cocoa, the pony Fable assumed was the owner of the business, and his wife, Fable felt a pang of sadness and pity, a normal reaction to hearing that a loved one had moved on. They both looked like really happy, upbeat ponies just like Sweet Surprise, and decided to speak up.

"I am sorry for your loss, I could tell both of them meant a lot to you, despite only knowing one of them. They both looked like great ponies. I'm sure both of them are proud of you that you are still taking very good care of their business."

At the mention of Fable's attempt at putting a name to the photo once again left a sheen of red on his face, remembering what exactly was happening to him after the sad remembrance of the Cocoa's. Had he only mentioned a coltfriend because he wanted to know if she even had one!? Well, she was rather cute and was really friendly, so there was nothing to really hide, was there?

Fable never had any experience with crushes or mares that wanted anything to do with him. He was most likely face down in a book or practicing flight drills to even care about social norms. Now was proving that that was a pretty bad decision on his part. What should he even do?

"Actually I... don't have a coltfriend. I mean I have stallions that are friendly or friends to me. Just not coltfriends. Guess I'm not lucky that way."

Fable perked up a slight bit at hearing this new bit of information. She didn't have a coltfriend, so could he possibly... Could he ever hope to even... Get to know her a bit better before jumping ahead? Was that what you were supposed to do when you have a small crush?

"So you want to know more about me? Well, so do I! So, are you from Canterlot or just visiting?"

"YES!"

Fable may have shouted that a bit too loudly, prompting him to shake his head and try to quickly gain his footing back.

"I...Umm, I mean, yes, I would like to get to know you bit more, Ms. Sweet. You seem like quite the friendly type and would like to take our relationship further. A-ahem, as friends, of c-course! Any who, no, I am not from Canterlot but from Fillydelphia. I was only really here to visit some relatives, but now I guess I've come here for another reason, ahaha... Umm, would you like to know anything else about me, Sweet? Umm, may I call you Sweet? Since were friends now, right?"

If nervousness and awkwardness had a smell, then the room was filled with the poignant scent. Now coming to terms to what he was feeling and his experience with it, it was almost painfully clear to any pony in the room. Fable was sporting a permanent blush and he was shuffling his hooves quite a lot when he talked to her. If love was a disease, then Fable Weaver had it bad.

It was no surprise that this stallion marveled at Sweet Surprise's candy creations. The mare very often saw the reaction on a pony's face when the entered the store of pure wonder, especially those that visited for the first time. Even those regular customers still never completely got used to the sights smells and tastes surrounding them in the store. Children though were Sweet's favorite ponies to watch enter the store, as to them it was as if they left an already magical world and were now visiting an even more amazing place where everything around them was made of candy! Strangely though this stallion seemed to stumble over his words and she wasn't blind to the fact that while he checked out the sweets around him he was also checking out her.

"Well, I might have something that you have in mind...err... the candy that is. But it all depends first on what taste that you like. There's candy that's sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and even tart tasting. As for what I'd recommend... hmm... oh I know! How about my super fudgealicious fudge? I'll get you a sample!"

As she went behind the counter to get the fudge, Fable Weaver announced that he wasn't just a fan but a writer too. She felt a little embarrassed making this mistake, even if it was an honest one.

"Well I'd definitely love to read it! You know I thought about writing a mystery about something candy related, but i never could figure out how to blend the two things together every time I tried it was like trying to mix broccoli and butterscotch together. Don't do that by the way as let's just say I was a sick pony afterwards."

Having removed a fudge square from the tray of fudge, she placed it on a plate and grabbed a napkin before setting it on the counter.

"Here you go, one fudge square ready for you!"

As she waited for him to approach, Sweet still felt a little bad at the loss of Mr. Cocoa, his mentor and a second parent to her. It was hard coming to terms that he was gone, and even a month after his passing Sweet still at times woke up thinking that he would be downstairs making candy and humming a pleasant tune.

"I am sorry for your loss, I could tell both of them meant a lot to you, despite only knowing one of them. They both looked like great ponies. I'm sure both of them are proud of you that you are still taking very good care of their business."

"Thank you," she said tenderly, "And yes he was a wonderful pony and I'm sure Mrs. Cocoa was too. What you said was very sweet of you."

Clearly Sweet knew that the stallion was interested in her and she realized the more she was with him the more she was interested in him. Best of all that missing piece in her life felt smaller somehow. Upon explaining that she lacked a special somepony, Sweet wondered if that was it, if she missed love. Not like love of parents or friends but a romantic love.

Suddenly the stallion blurted out a triumphant yes that surprised the mare before explaining further.

"I...Umm, I mean, yes, I would like to get to know you bit more, Ms. Sweet. You seem like quite the friendly type and would like to take our relationship further. A-ahem, as friends, of c-course! Any who, no, I am not from Canterlot but from Fillydelphia. I was only really here to visit some relatives, but now I guess I've come here for another reason, ahaha... Umm, would you like to know anything else about me, Sweet? Umm, may I call you Sweet? Since were friends now, right?"

Fable sure was a nervous type! With all the tripping over his words and the permanent blush on his face and the face that he would try not to stare too long at her made her wonder. Admittedly she too felt her eyes and mind wander meeting him, more than her normal wandering mind.

"Well you seem very nice a cute too! Err... yeah being friends is great for now... I mean it's fine. An sure you can call me Sweet, as long as I can call you Fable that is. So, what's life like in Fillydelphia? I actually came from Manehattan but I've never been where you live."

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, I might have something that you have in mind...err... the candy that is. But it all depends first on what taste that you like. There's candy that's sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and even tart tasting. As for what I'd recommend... hmm... oh I know! How about my super fudgealicious fudge? I'll get you a sample!"

Fable Weaver pondered Sweet's words as she retreated under the counter to retrieve said fudge, something that the writer was quite interested in. He never really thought about what kind of taste he preferred when it came to candy, as he really only thought they came in two kinds; sour or sweet. If he had anything bitter or salty that he liked, he would have turned to coffee or some pretzels, but didn't think something like that could be used in any sort of candy. Maybe he just didn't have enough candy expertise before coming here, but that was obvious. Of course he enjoyed any type of sweet on any day, but he certainly wasn't anything of a connoisseur or expert by any stretch of the imagination that could compete with her knowledge. As the candy mare dug around behind her counter, Fable decided to voice his thoughts.

"Well, to be quite honest, I only assumed a candy was only a candy if it was sweet or sour. If a treat was meant to be either or, wouldn't something rather sharp tasting make the candy less... desirable? Forgive me if I am in the wrong, as I am obviously in no way as clever or cu- ahem.. umm, c-cultured in this line of work as you are."

Fable turned away suddenly to face away from the mare to mutter a few indecipherable words to himself, mentally kicking himself for nearly slipping up as he did there. By now he was quite aware of his slight attraction to the mare in front of him, whether it be her positive, affable nature or her incredibly cute looks, which made him just a teeny bit clumsy. He was trying his best to reel in his feelings and treat her as just another mare he just happened across in his daily travels, but something about her just makes him even more scatter-brained than usual.

Afterwards, the two then proceeded to talk about Fable's line of work and Sweet Surprise's attempt at writing a sweets-inspired mystery story, something that made Fable think. A story like that could have only been sold to at least fillies and colts, as Fable would know as he has had experience with both children and adults alike. His more mature series has topics only the older generation can appreciate, with real-life crime and drama around every corner, while the young has lighter material, ranging from stolen goods to a missing person. Using some quick wit and instinctual will to impress Sweet Surprise, Fable presented a plot that could make her vision work, one way or another.

"...Well, I wouldn't say they don't go together at all. You could easily write an engaging novel for foals with that sort of premise, like a cunning theft of a secret candy recipe, as I know you have somewhere around your humble abode. Maybe even something a little more edgy, like the dissaperiance of a beloved candy store owner... ahem, o-on second thought, scratch that idea, my dear... What I'm trying to say, is that there is ways of achieving something you want, even if it seems impossible. You just need somepony special to give you that motivation."

Fable then flashed a warm smile at the mare, hopeful that his little speech did something for her. Perhaps he overdid it a little, the reason to either impress the mare he was apparently smitten with or have a chance to deliver some spur-of-the-moment wisdom from Uncle Fable was unclear.

The glasses-wearing pegasus then proceeded to accept the generously given fudge sample from Sweet, excited to try out something sweet from an expert in the craft of candy. Saying a quick thank you, he took a small bite of the soft chocolate square, an eager expression on his face. The moment the fudge hit his tongue, his mouth burst with rich, chocolaty goodness. It was smooth and very flavorful, and before Fable knew it, the small piece was gone and a small smear of chocolate could be seen around his mouth. There was a giddy grin on the bespectacled pony, relishing in the flavour before speaking up in an enthusiastic tone.

"I'll take some more of that, without a doubt! The flavours were intricate and very rich, I enjoyed that immensely! Sweet Surprise, you are quite the mare about confections!"

Fable had tasted this mare's finesse when it came to candies, and he could safely say that he would most likely encourage his other friends, colleagues and publisher to at least try out Sweet's shop the next time they were in Canterlot, as he would as well. He would definitely have to try out her other treats later, whenever later may be.

They then talked about becoming friends, something Fable was adamant about (as Sweet could tell from his embarrassing outburst), but honestly, he wanted a little... more. He knew from others that the best relationship develops when you take it one step at a time, but he really didn't know if he wanted to jump the gun or let their newfound friendship lay it's roots until Fable could at least see some signs if she liked him back. He had heard a few stumbles in her words, appreciated his company and even see her eyes trail from his eyes and to the rest of his body (something that made him question himself, he never really considered himself a looker with the glasses and bowtie), but he just wasn't confident that she would share the same feelings as him.

No, he would give their new friendship some time, and maybe if he saw some more indication that she was interested in him as he was in her, he would gather the courage to at least ask her to dinner or something.

"Well you seem very nice a cute too! Err... yeah being friends is great for now... I mean it's fine. An sure you can call me Sweet, as long as I can call you Fable that is. So, what's life like in Fillydelphia? I actually came from Manehattan but I've never been where you live."

Using his honed detective skills, Fable could have sworn he heard...something in the shop owners voice. Was it... longing? Disappointment? Why would she be disappointed at the prospect of being friends? Perhaps Sweet didn't want Fable as her friend? the pegasus' mind wandered to the chance she was interested in him as well, but that must have been his mind fabricating his emotions right now and only making him hear what he wanted to hear. Shaking his head, Fable turned to Sweet and responded to her question.

"Right, that sounds reasonable. As friends, I may call you Sweet and you can refer to me as Fable if you wish," Fable then proceeded to mutter under his breath in a slight daze, looking off into the distance. "...Fable and Sweet... Sweet Fable... I like the sound of that..."

Returning his gaze back to Sweet, remembering that she asked a question. He blinked a few times before responding.

"Ah, yes, Fillydelphia is quite the grand villa, I moved there nearly half a year ago from Manehatten, just had to have a change of scenery. I always preferred a more idyllic, quiet locale anyway. Nice ponies, good view, nice house to do my work, all that, but I never really took you for a Manehatten pony! You look like you belong in Ponyville, actually, with your colours and all. You're too nice and much more friendly than anyone I've met in Manehatten, there were a lot of ponies looking after themselves in that city, although I did manage to make some loyal friends in those days. I lived around where the big museum is, you know, the one about natural sciences. Quite the interesting spot. What about you? What was your time in Manehatten like and why did you move to Canterlot of all places, if I may ask?"

There were times that Sweet Surprise had to pull herself back from explaining the subtle nuisances of candy. After all, not everypony that came to her store wanted a lecturing, only to get a candy for themselves or others. But this pony had no other place to go except back into the rain, and really who would want rain over candy?

Well, to be quite honest, I only assumed a candy was only a candy if it was sweet or sour. If a treat was meant to be either or, wouldn't something rather sharp tasting make the candy less... desirable? Forgive me if I am in the wrong, as I am obviously in no way as clever or cu- ahem.. umm, c-cultured in this line of work as you are."

She looked up from the counter and gave the stallion a strange look which was made even stranger seeing him saying something to himself.

"All Candy isn't the same. Some ponies like minty things, or chocolates or even sour drops. And having sour or tart isn't really a bad thing as it's a surprise for those trying it and that's why they love it!"

As she waited for him to try one of the delicious fudge squares, the stallion offered some advice about writing. Clearly this pony had a talent for what ponies would be interested in with mysteries, even with some ideas that even Sweet didn't know. But there was something else, Fable trying to prove his worth to her. It was strange as the two weren't in some contest with each other, unless he felt like he wasn't good enough to be her friend. This was a sad idea indeed one that Sweet had to disprove.

"That sounds great Fable. Maybe if we put our minds together we can come up with a great mystery. Of course not literally putting our minds together as that would hurt, like the time I whacked my head on the counter! That left a big bump on my head that made me look kind of like a unicorn."

At last was the test to see whether Fable enjoyed the fudge. Of course there weren't many ponies at all that disliked her candy or especially her fudge. This rich treat was always a way to entice ponies who were uncertain what to have or even liking her candy. To her delight though, but not really her surprise the stallion loved it.

"See, what did I tell you Fable? Awww... thanks for the sweet comment! That fudge is sweet with a little on the bitter side. So would you like something to try that's sweeter, more bitter, or the same?"

There was something about what she said to Fable that made him look upset, like her response wasn't the one he looked for. The stallion sure was confusing, making her head spin and her tummy flutter like she swallowed butterflies.

"I'll definitely call you Fable... err... Fable. That does have a nice ring to it Sweet Fable, Sweet Fable. Almost like another pony! Why it fits together like chocolate and peanut butter!"

Sweet Surprise listened as Fable explained where he was from, even the fact that he had been to Manehattan and made friends there.

"Yeah, I get that same reaction from others. Guess having more earthy tones makes you perfect for Ponyville. Although there was that one time there when I saw a pink earth pony there. I wonder what colors would fit where Manehattan is. I'm not really sure why you thought that I'd be different if I was from Manehattan... ooo... let me guess, you'd think I'd be maybe richer a little bit more... high class? Yeah, there are those there but not everypony. As for how I got here it was because of my parents. It's kind of a long story if you want to hear it."

• 2 weeks later...

Fable was quite gripped by the new knowledge he was gaining from Sweet Surprise. He never would have believed he would be learning about the intricacies of candy-making, but he was sure glad he was anyway. He was always a sucker for learning about new things, and it was no different here. If there was a chance to learn something he wasn't familiar with, he almost always took the chance.

"All Candy isn't the same. Some ponies like minty things, or chocolates or even sour drops. And having sour or tart isn't really a bad thing as it's a surprise for those trying it and that's why they love it!"

The author couldn't disagree there, everypony had different likes and dislikes, and it made sense for there to be different flavours or textures for everypony. Fable was more of a classic candy eater, rather to go for simple chocolate or gummy candy than anything extravagant. Fable simply nodded his head at Sweet's words of wisdom, not really aiming to disagree with a mare he was somewhat smitten with, something that he let slip yet again in his off-handed compliments to the mare. Her off-put looks at the stallion made him a slight bit nervous, but decided not to focus on it too much.

"Indeed, different strokes for different folks, I'm sure. I would rather take an adventure to some far-off land than an adventure for my taste buds, but that's just my tastes. What about yourself? My dear, I'm sure as a candy connoisseur like yourself would have some kind of favourite, no?"

After Fable's incredibly cheesy advice on writing and "following your dreams", Fable inwardly hoped he sounded at least a bit... romantic? Inspiring? Hopeful that his speech would make Sweet Surprise beg for him to become her very special pony? The last one seemed the most true, he really wanted to stand out to the mare, give her that tiny nudge in the right direction. He saw something like that in a movie one time, or was it in a book that he saw the main character give some heartfelt advice to the love interest?

"That sounds great Fable. Maybe if we put our minds together we can come up with a great mystery. Of course not literally putting our minds together as that would hurt, like the time I whacked my head on the counter! That left a big bump on my head that made me look kind of like a unicorn."

Fable agreed to the notion, hopefully they could spend some time to craft the perfect candy-based mystery. The idea was quite grand, having an excuse to be around Sweet a little while longer. If only he brought his pad and pencil with him to take notes... maybe she had something he could jot down notes with lying around somewhere?

"I would be most happy if we could brainstorm my next bestselller with you, and I'll be sure not to bump my head against yours. Yikes, imagine if you really were a unicorn when that happened! I wouldn't want to be around when that happened, b-but I would be readily available to nurse you back to health of course, b-because that's what friends do....right?"

Taking a moment to chuckle halfheartedly, he mentally kicked himself for another tiny slip-up. He liked the idea of swooping in to save the day if Sweet got hurt in any way, tending to her every need. It was a nice thought, but something that really shouldn't have to be known straight away. Foal steps, foal steps.

Fable then took a bite of the fudge and voiced his opinion on the delectable morsel of chocolate. It really was quite good, something he really would like more of later. Maybe he would even try different flavours or textures after what the mare said to him about candy previously. Fable wondered if there was such a thing as salty fudge, or sour fudge. Maybe he should ask.

"See, what did I tell you Fable? Awww... thanks for the sweet comment! That fudge is sweet with a little on the bitter side. So would you like something to try that's sweeter, more bitter, or the same?"

Fable couldn't help it, he blushed and looked away from Sweet as she voiced her pleasure at Fable's words of edible elation. It felt good to see her happy from his praise, the chipper tone and genuine happiness in her voice made Fable's heart flutter. He definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing that happy face again.

"Haha, I'm the one who should be thanking you, my dear! That fudge was certainly a highlight of my day thus far, and it felt kind of... good to see you happy like that. I... I hope I can see a little more of that now that we are officially friends. Now, about that fudge, I think I can expand my repertoire and welcome something a bit more bitter, or even something salty. I would love something like that, or even something completely different, but I didn't bring any of my currency with me. It's all back at my hotel, unfortunately. I don't want to remove anymore of your stock through samples, haha."

Fable's next surprise slip-up apparently didn't go on deaf ears, something that Fable simply resigned to. It was like he was having his first schoolyard crush, which wasn't far from the truth, babbling at anything relating to the two and stuck on lovestruck mode. He was only relieved he could still talk coherently and carry a conversation, albeit with a slip about his sudden infatuation with the candy store owner every time he spoke. If this was what it was coming down to if they were to still be friends, this certainly would make Sweet very suspicious of his actual motives. Fable thought about if he should change his game plan and simply ask her out to dinner tomorrow night, throwing out the prospect of having a normal, platonic friendship with Sweet Surprise. She was simply too nice, friendly, and cute for that to carry on for longer than a week at most.

"I'll definitely call you Fable... err... Fable. That does have a nice ring to it Sweet Fable, Sweet Fable. Almost like another pony! Why it fits together like chocolate and peanut butter!"

Fable nearly doubled over like he was punched in the gut, taking her words in a completely different light. Fable didn't know how long he could last before succumbing to a babbling mess over the mare. If this was what love was like, Fable had completely underwhelmed his expectations on the feeling!

"Ah...ahahah... yes, just like another pony... and we do... fit together... ahem... AHEM... sorry, a little bug in my throat, don't fret. I get them all the time... anyway, where were we? Were we talking about the time? Ah, yes! Umm, do you have the time, Sweet?

Fable Weaver simply prayed that he had some kind of book back home about dealing with this sort of thing, being a complete amateur in the art of love was most noticeably affecting his social skills quite badly. He still had enough steam to talk about what it was like back home, in the great city. He did have some memorable moments there, but the atmosphere and general attitudes of the ponies there simply drove him to the smaller city of Fillydelphia to continue his writing career.

"Yeah, I get that same reaction from others. Guess having more earthy tones makes you perfect for Ponyville. Although there was that one time there when I saw a pink earth pony there. I wonder what colors would fit where Manehattan is. I'm not really sure why you thought that I'd be different if I was from Manehattan... ooo... let me guess, you'd think I'd be maybe richer a little bit more... high class? Yeah, there are those there but not everypony. As for how I got here it was because of my parents. It's kind of a long story if you want to hear it."

Fable wanted any excuse at all to spend as much time as he could with Sweet, so he thought a long story was okay with him. He wasn't going anywhere in this storm, that much was certain. But as Fable realized, nopony else would either. Fable looked around at his surroundings and still found himself at one end of a store counter with Sweet on the other side. Surely nopony was coming to stop by for sweets, perhaps they could move somewhere else that's a little more... casual? Fable spoke up about this as he responded to Sweet's words.

"Well, I didn't mean it as anything foul, but from when I was born, a good portion of the populace had rich, snooty business ponies with little character to them, but you are the complete opposite than that, which is a good thing! You're positive energy and cheery nature simply perk me up, something that I can't say for ponies back home. I was just surprised that you came from that environment, is all. As for the long story, I live for that sort of thing, my dear, so no worries there, as well as I'm not really going anywhere soon with this weather. Perhaps we could talk about it in a more... casual environment. Nopony seems to be coming by due to the storm, why not close shop and we can talk in your living space, if you don't mind, that is?"

"Indeed, different strokes for different folks, I'm sure. I would rather take an adventure to some far-off land than an adventure for my taste buds, but that's just my tastes. What about yourself? My dear, I'm sure as a candy connoisseur like yourself would have some kind of favourite, no?"

Sweet Surprise smiled at the fact that the stallion finally started to understand the nuances surrounding candy. Well, maybe he just understood different types of tastes but that was at least a start. She couldn't get upset at him for that nor could she really get upset about it for others. But then the often asked and often debated in her mind question appeared making Sweet pause to ponder her favorite candy among the ocean of different textures, colors and taste around her.

"I like lots of candy actually. It comes with my talent I guess. I mean what pony would do something for a living that they didn't like to do? But of all the different candies I tried, I think I like dark chocolate the best."

The fudge was a good starting point for ponies with uncertain candy choices. It was a perfect blend of sweet and bitter and it told ponies whether they liked chocolate or something else that was fruity or minty. The good news was that he was excited about it. It was those reflections of joy on ponies' faces that was all the recognition that she needed. Still this time it felt different, like Fable's joy was at a higher level than all the others.

"Haha, I'm the one who should be thanking you, my dear! That fudge was certainly a highlight of my day thus far, and it felt kind of... good to see you happy like that. I... I hope I can see a little more of that now that we are officially friends. Now, about that fudge, I think I can expand my repertoire and welcome something a bit more bitter, or even something salty. I would love something like that, or even something completely different, but I didn't bring any of my currency with me. It's all back at my hotel, unfortunately. I don't want to remove anymore of your stock through samples, haha."

"You like to see me happy? I like to see you happy too! Oh, so you want something bitter or salty huh? Well, I think I have some things you might like."

There was the issue of having no money to buy, but that didn't faze Sweet Surprise.

"Well, luckily I have tons of sweet treats and I don't think there will be many ponies stopping by with the rain outside. Plus if you never tried much candy before, how will you know what you will like? Anyway I think you'd like a chocolate covered pretzel."

The filly ducked under the large counter once again, this time grabbing a pretzel stick dipped halfway in rich dark chocolate and giving it to the stallion.

"Here you go. Hope you like it!"

"Ah...ahahah... yes, just like another pony... and we do... fit together... ahem... AHEM... sorry, a little bug in my throat, don't fret. I get them all the time... anyway, where were we? Were we talking about the time? Ah, yes! Umm, do you have the time, Sweet?

Sweet could see that the pony was now on a full time meltdown, his words not making sense like he was tripping over his tongue. This wasn't normal and Sweet didn't think that it was some weird reaction to the chocolate. So what was bothering the stallion?

"Well, I didn't mean it as anything foul, but from when I was born, a good portion of the populace had rich, snooty business ponies with little character to them, but you are the complete opposite than that, which is a good thing! You're positive energy and cheery nature simply perk me up, something that I can't say for ponies back home. I was just surprised that you came from that environment, is all. As for the long story, I live for that sort of thing, my dear, so no worries there, as well as I'm not really going anywhere soon with this weather. Perhaps we could talk about it in a more... casual environment. Nopony seems to be coming by due to the storm, why not close shop and we can talk in your living space, if you don't mind, that is?"

"Yeah, some were like that in Manehattan, weren't they? I know because I saw them. That's kind of the reason why I moved here. I wanted a change of pace and a new place to make my candy. Thankfully I was at the right place at the right time meeting Mr. Cocoa. He needed an assistant and I needed a place. Guess things work out that way."

It peaked her interest that the stallion wanted someplace else to talk with her, someplace more private? He even dared to want to go into her personal living area! While most of the time the mare wouldn't even think about closing her shop just in case a pony should walk by, not even in a blizzard! This time however looking at the rain outside and that cute stallion that she could tell longed for company her sense caved in.

"Ok, I'll close the shop under one condition. You have to tell me something, and it needs to be the truth. Do you like me? I don't mean like me like a pony likes sunny days or candy, but I mean LIke me like me, like you want to get to know me more. I said like too manky times didn't I? I mean do you really like me more than a friend?"

Archived