Have Bronies gotten too big for their britches?

We may not change the world right now, but we are forcing the ball to start rolling.

Awww, but I don't wanna' change the world! I just want my pure escapist fun, please. :P

Reading all of this, all I am hearing is the same general concerns, complaints, defense, and just a little bit of a ol' hipster ego-stroking session (there is a word for this but it's R rated, you all know what I mean) that I always see from fans about the fandom their in. I am an old fart and an old geek and such I have been in a lot of "geek fandoms", some for decades, and you know what I hear this sort of thing each and every time. Now there isn't anything wrong with bringing up concerns about the fandom, or wanting to reign in it's excesses, deal with fanatics, or work to present a better face, but you all should know every terrible thing some individuals do in the fandom that give it a bad name? It's all been done before, all of it.

General and literary science fiction, Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Anime, Furry, Pokemon, Video Gaming, Card Gaming, RPG Gaming, Sherlock, Supernatural, they all had these issues: Obsessive fans, entitled geeks who cry "ruined forever", weirdies who "threaten" the creators (cuz' Internet threats), infighting, bad conventions, crappy attitudes towards moderate or mild fans, fans with no hygiene, self-important fans, insular behavior, misogyny, all of it; no fandom has been immune and no fandom ever will be. Five, ten, twenty years from now the same issues will still exist in the old and new fandoms.

I suppose that can sound a little depressing, "the weirdos and their problem causing will always be with us", but it's only depressing if one chooses to make it the focus of your interaction with the fandom. Yes, there will always be jerks and social misfits because people, and admittedly geeks more, but that doesn't mean you should let them ruin your love of whatever, and it doesn't mean you have to just accept to and not call them out on it (in fact, always call them out on it). Remember two things: One, they are the minority Two: They are like weeds, thus they will always crop up from time to time, but like weeds they can be dealt with; I don't only just mean by calling out terrible behavior, but just as importantly, being a good fan and making a positive impact on the fandom.

We are not unique, but we are small and young.

• 2 weeks later...

What bothers me about the fandom right now is how spoiled they are. Whenever something big such as Canterlot Wedding, Twilicorn, EQG, or Twilight's new castle happens, they freak out and whine about it and say they're leaving the fandom (which they never do) and say horrible things about the writers and so on. They expect the show staff to satisfy THEIR wants instead of progressing and trying new things. I admit I don't agree with everything MLP does, and everybody is allowed an opinion, but please try and remember that this show was never made specifically for "bronies" in the first place.

I also agree with you're point as well.

I gotta agree with this. Ive been feeling like one of the few bronies in the fandom that dont raise heck over everything the show does. Even I wasnt too critical of Twilight's wings, just surprised that it came so soon. Need we forget that the show was geared for little kids in the first place? The writing is going to be done in a way children could understand and for marketing reasons. Little girls like princesses?! Lets give them princesses! Even I dont have much of a problem with Twilight being a princess, yet some of us in the fandom act as if its the worst thing in the world and "leave" the fandom. I still believe that while this is still Twilight's story, her friends are still a huge part of the show and there's going to be something in store for all of them. I dont understand how just because you're the unexpected audience, suddenly the show needs to cater to you. I watch the show to enjoy it, not find to find a reason to criticize it. If you disagree with what the writers done and think you can do a much better job, by all means get a job working as one of the writers for the show. Just remember you cant make the show some edgy adult theme like your fanfictions.

I actually haven't heard of the interview you're speaking of, but I do notice usually that Bronies get a headline every now and then after a convention. I think that the world is still getting used to older people liking My Little Pony, and they get interested when we have conventions and such. I guess they see a lot of "unique" people there, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's the majority of bronies that are complete jerks like you describe, but rather the extremely vocal minority. If a member of the fandom likes something, they may go on a forum and say they like it, once, and that's it, or say nothing at all. However, if a member hates something, they're more likely to scream about it and paste it everywhere on the internet they can, especially if they're a huge jerkface. This means that, while it may seem like a lot of people hate an element of the show, it's really that relatively few people hate it and they're just a lot louder than the majority. Same goes for Bronies with a sense of entitlement; in fact, I'd wager most bronies still like the show as much as ever, they're just not as vocal about it.

In my opinion, I'm proud to be a part of this fandom. There are pros and cons of being a brony. The pros is that you feel like you belong, everyone shares your similar interests. You don't feel abandoned or misplaced. The cons is that some bronies take their opinions too far. Like who is best pony or what season is the best and all that. Even though bronies do go crazy, sometimes they do it in a good way. I have nothing against this fandom and I am a proud brony. I don't care what pony haters think, I just ignore them. I could care less. ^.^ Just wanted to share my opinion.

I haven't heard that specific interview, but I have heard plenty of interviews like it in other fandoms. It's really not that uncommon for fans to be a little overzealous when meeting someone close with the object of their ... Fan-ness? It's why people badger celebrities with questions like "What was it like working on the set of The Sopranos?!" They just want to know what it's like to be in that person's shoes, so that they can maybe imagine what it's like to live that sort of life.

The "What do you think of the fandom?" questions are the same thing, except in the sense that fans want to feel as if show creators, actors, etc., think about them at all. It's like trying to feel important, or like a bigger part of the creative process than you actually are. That's never really bothered me. I'm more confused by individuals who put others on giant pedestals, and worship them. They're always let down when they meet the real person, and finally understand that these are just -people-. They're doing a job. A fun job, but a job nevertheless. Their lives likely don't revolve around the show as much as some fans would like to believe.

Even that's okay, though. 8| I'm more bothered by people who view the show as a business opportunity, and constantly try to sell me something the minute I meet them. I've met a few bronies who, within 5 minutes of talking to me, immediately tried to sell me commissions, buttons, plushies, embroideries, etc. That stuff is frustrating, so quit it.

That said...

My experience with the fandom has been largely positive. I haven't met a lot of overzealous bronies throwing a fit about creative decisions made by the show's staff. To be honest, I've had more creative discussions than anything else! It's been interesting to see good analysis of episodes --- and real, critical, discussions on whether or something was adequately executed. It's okay to disagree with something Hasbro does, and to back it up with valid critique / film theory. It's another thing entirely, however, to scream about how it's the end of the world, and nothing will ever be good again. Fortunately, it's usually the former, not the latter, that I've experienced when talking with bronies about ponies! c:

I haven't met a community quite so welcoming and willing to help you with, well, whatever. I joined a French speaking MLP forum to help me with my French studies, and everyone was incredibly -nice- about my poor French grammar, my willingness to learn, and my being a part of their community. I haven't seen that in many other fandoms, and that is something MLP has going for it. It does create a welcoming family-like-environment, bringing people together.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived