A Dog and Ponyshow 2 Gem Boogaloo://Closed RariSpike

QuickLime

SmallRarityBanner_zps4eb0d218.png

True last time they had attempted this Rarity had found herself being carted off by wretched dogs! But with her own cunning and Spikes aid (dearest Spikey Wikey, so kind and helpful to her) as well as the assistance of her friends, Rarity had made it out unscathed with a plethora of gems! That however was a long time ago, and Rarity once again was rather low on the shinies that made her outfits truly sparkle! So that meant she would again have to go out to the rocky area near Ponyville and dig them up...Oooor she could count on Spike to help her this time!

Spike was easy enough to coheres into aiding her, Rarity had learned her lesson from before and promised him half of the gems if he assisted her, provided they'd bring a big enough haul for her to have more than enough for her designs,and he was allowed to claw pick the best ones for himself if he so chose, since he WAS doing the grunt work after all!

This was a perfect day for it too! "Come along Spike! We have a lot to do before the sun goes down!" Rarity called over her shoulder, trotting ahead of the young dragon who would also be carrying the cart, she was so excited! THIS TIME they would get the gems without a bunch of Diamond Dog Shenanigans by THUNDER!

Oh yeah, this was awesome - Spike hadn't had an opportunity to venture out with Rarity in FOREVER...and 'lo and behold, here they were again out in the outdoors, venturing for gems - Spike wasn't going to be all greedy and stuff about it this time, he'd learnt a lot about such things since the last time around...but he WAS going to at least enjoy this time out with a pony whom he admired in many ways. Sure, they'd come to an understanding that certain topics should probably be not turned into things to talk about particularly, but he was appreciative just to get the chance to be out here to enjoy himself with her in this way.

" Don't you worry about a thing, Rarity! " Spike answers, pulling the cart behind him without even a hint of a care. " For absolute sure things'll go a lot better this time around - I mean, you know what they say about lightning striking twice, right? "

he pauses and raises a clawtip to his snout, pondering for a moment. " Actually, I kinda never hear the end of that one...what IS it about lightning and striking twice? "

Shrugging off the thought, Spike resumes his strides behind Rarity eagerly, young mind full of spirited eagerness at the prospects of doing something with Rarity out here...helping her out in any way she might need and ask at the first moment it was required of him. Sure, he wasn't going to do anything quite as silly as he had with the dragon code shenanigans with AppleJack a good while ago, but he was quite content to make sure she wasn't going to have to worry about doing too much if he could help it - it was, afterall, what he'd learnt any self respecting admirer and gentleman should do...or at least, a book he'd read in boredom had said such a thing.

Oh, and that mares dig moustaches - but he didn't have one yet...he'd fix that one eventually though!

• 2 weeks later...

“Oh I’m not worried in the slightest Spike” She assured him, slowing down so that instead of being in front of him, she was beside him “And let me know when you get tired of pulling that cart, then I’ll take a turn” After all Rarity was fully capable of doing so. “The phrase is “Lightning never strikes twice” But I do know “ She put a hoof to her chin in thought

“That that’s not PARTICULARLY true, I mean I am quite sure Derpy has gotten struck by lightning at LEAST 4 times by now” She laughed “It’s just an expression though, I am quite sure we’ll be alright, I have a big, strong dragon to help me”

With that she batted her eyelashes at Spike and then closed her eyes as they reached out further in the area, horn glowing it’s soft blue, as she started searching for gems.

The young dragon couldn't help but feel a little calmed by the words of the mare before him - sure, he wasn't entirely sure that there wasn't a reason to believe that the Diamond Dogs were going to be out here looking for an innocent pony to kidnap and keep hidden away in a secret stronghold that only a fearsome dragon with a crush could possibly enter and make a daring, unexpected rescue of the day...but in Spikes mind, sometimes it was just a little too easy to believe a small train of illogical thought.

" Well, true enough I guess... " Spike says with a small shrug. " I don't think I've even counted how many times that mighta happened to Derpy in the past! "

The offer of the cart relief was tempting...he knew that it would probably only get heavier from this point on, but even that little thought didn't deter him from shaking his head and giving a nope that Big Macintosh woulda been proud of - he wasn't going to shirk his duty to a fair maiden afterall. Even if he had to strain his l'il legs to the bone to prove to the world that he wasn't just a baby dragon, he would do whatever it took to be a useful asset to this treasure search!

• 5 weeks later...

rarity_in_the_dark_banner_zpsee3aac67.png

She was truly lucky to have a friend like Spike! So willing to prove himself like that, "Well alright, but you MUST let me take the cart at some point Spikey Wikey, after all you are going to be SUCH a help to me digging the Gems out" She said and pouted softly, she sort of felt like she was taking advantage and wanted to make this less of a self serving trip...Though as they entered Rarity's favorite mining cave, her ears pricked up and she went quiet, something in the air felt deeply off..

"Spike is it just me or does something seem odd to you..?" It could just be her..

• 2 weeks later...

"Spike is it just me or does something seem odd to you..?"

The question comes out of nowhere and stops the dragon in his tracks for a moment, who looks over at Rarity for a moment. " Odd? What d'ya mean? "

Spike pauses and takes a moment to look around - everything LOOKED normal to him, and the wind was a little chilly...wait, was it colder than normal? Nah, that was probably just him being dumb...or was it?

The dragon scratches his snout and raises an eyebrow as he looks over the place once more and shrugs slightly - he didn't seem to feel it, whatever 'it' was.

" Maybe you're just anxious from last time? " he suggests, shrugging lightly in response. " I mean, it WAS a pretty rough couple of days you went through...I'm sure it's just nerves! "

• 3 weeks later...

"That very well may be the case Spike" Rarity wouldn't rule that out, however.. "It feels cooler than normal though, this isn't the time of year for ice gems however so that certainly cannot be them" Glancing at Spike she tilted her head "Aw is my Spikey-wikey getting cold? Well don't you fret darling!" She had ofcourse packed a saddle bag, and focused her magic, levitating a lovely purple and green scarf with wee pompoms on the ends out of it "I was going to give this to you later but I think you could use it now! Especially in this chilly air!" Wrapping the scarf around his wee baby dragon neck.

"Oh the colors really DO suit you darling"

• 2 weeks later...

Spike found himself a little conflicted - he wasn't ungrateful for the gift, considering the source...but he wasn't sure if his idea of a good look and hers necessarily met properly.

Nevertheless, the young dragon was not one to say a bad word about Raritys work...afterall, how could he say anything negative about anything she did when it clearly made her happy to offer them so freely and with such hard work put in.

" Oh wow, thanks Rarity! " he replies with appreciation in his voice. " It's great, I'll have to keep this close by for those cold winter nights under the covers! "

Still, her earlier point about the cold and ice crystals rang relatively true - it was too soon for them to be notably present in the outdoors, and there was certainly no immediate need for the weathers current chill factor. If anything, it was supposed to be more mild than it was at the moment - a curious thing indeed, and one even the dragon couldn't deny. " Yeah, I guess you're kinda right about that - maybe one of the weather pegasi teams screwed something up? " he suggests, not entirely convinced of it himself.

Archived