Heads in the Clouds (ATTN: Hawkeye)

Lux

"Oh I think that we'll do fine together. We're both awesome stunt ponies, so all it'll take it working together. Not that different, right?"

Dusty smiled. "Yeah, I  guess not,"she said as Sky got into his position. She took off just as he did. It was cloudy, sure, but at least there weren't many other pegasi out. 

But it was a nice flight all the same. Dusty was just getting into a comfortable speed when she saw Sky suddenly stop below her, and Dusty's reflexes kicked in as she braked and did the same. She was a couple feet ahead of him since she saw the pony a split second after he actually stopped, but still, it wasn't bad. 

"That was pretty good," she called out to him.

Sky watched as he stopped to see what Dusty would do. He had every confidence in her abilities having seen her perform stunts but the true test came in working together. To his delight the mare did break when he did rather than just flying forward. She did stop a few feet ahead of him, but that was to be expected as getting the right reaction time down took practice. 

"Yeah, not bad for our first run," Sky replied as he flew to catch up with her, "Alright now it's your turn. Same things goes, you can fly anywhere, accelerate, slow down, or stop and I'll do the same. Let's try this time though to keep this going for as long as we can until we decide to switch off who leads, alright?" 

Okay, so now it was Dusty's turn to lead. "Alright," She said to the other pegasus with a nod and a smile.

Then she took off again, flying simply in a straight line at first, just trying to build up a decent speed. She got to just about the same speed she was at before when an idea popped into her head. She started to fly upward just a little bit, and then did a loop de loop. She then flew straight for just a few more feet before stopping, looking back to Sky to see how he was doing.

Sky flew on into the air, keeping up with Dusty as they soared through the air. He kept his eyes focused on his flying partner, knowing at any time she would change the plans of flying. Just then she pulled up an began to fly straight up in the air. He was surprised by the change but only for a moment as he followed, watching as the mare made a full loop in the air before coming to a stop. Sky added his own little flair as the loop looked it was on fire due to the contrail the white Pegasus left. Stopping however was an issue as he broke too late and stopped a pony's length ahead of her. 

"Oops, sorry," Sky said rubbing the back of his head, "Stopping is kind of my weakness. I usually brake to fast or too slow. Hopefully I can fix that with this practice. Anyway to the next move!" 

He took off into the air and after going straight suddenly pulled a wide u-turn. Then as the turn was completed he flew vertical in the air and started what looked like a loop but he straightened up and came to a stop, looking to see how well Dusty followed him.

Dusty smiled a little as she watched Sky add a bit of fire to his loop. That was cool. However, the other pegasus eventually braked a little bit too late, stopping a few feet ahead of her. She chuckled as he apologized.

"It's alright, I used to do that a lot," she said with a shrug.

The mare then followed as Sky took off, once again getting herself into a good pace. But she was surprised as the stallion decided to pull a sudden u-turn this time. Though Dusty's reflexes kicked in, and pulled off a slightly wider u turn just in time. She then followed as Sky went straight vertical, watching the other pony closely. He seemed to be preparing for another loop, so Dusty prepared to do that. But she was completely caught off guard this time, when Sky stopped instead of following through with the loop. Dusty tried braking, but it just wasn't in time, so she ended up tumbling a few feet in the air before she finally caught herself. She hovered for a moment, smiling awkwardly. Well that was embarrassing.

"Dang, you got me there," she said after a moment.

"It's alright, I used to do that a lot," she said with a shrug.

"Oh, I'm getting better," Sky said in some way trying to prove that he wasn't this uncoordinated pony in front of her, "At least I'm not smacking into any trees or clouds."

He gave a little chuckle trying to show that he was confident. The new trick did throw Dusty for a loop, not the first part with a U turn but the surprise vertical U turn at the end. He watched as she started to tumble in the air but quickly recovered even though she looked embarrassed. 

"That's ok. We all have times like that when things don't go right. Nothing to be worried about as I saw you fly and you're good. I think we just aren't used to synchronizing our flying together right now. So want to try another trick and see if I can follow?"

Dusty shook the embarrassing moment off her mind. She couldn't let it get in the way of flying. It was all about keeping your mind clear, after all."Yep, let's go!" she said with a quick nod to Sky. 

She then took off, flying straight like always. But instead of getting into a comfortable speed, she decided to do a quick u-turn, just like the one she did just a few moments ago. A few moments later, she did another one, so now they were flying in the original direction they started. After that, she flew straight for just a few moments before pulling off a quick corkscrew. She did that just for fun, but she also wanted to see how Sky would do. Dusty stopped and hovered again, looking to him to see how they were doing.

Sky was ready for this next trick, and he had a feeling that is was going to be a big one! The mare certainly was one who wanted to prove herself, especially after her issue with the other trick. She took off and made a U turn, Sky following as close to as possible. She made another turn, his contrail now seen in the distance as the pattern formed an oval shape. But then just to add fun she pulled into a corkscrew, perhaps to also test him. Sky though flew so he was not alongside of him but right under her turning upside down for a brief moment and giving a little smile before righting himself. 

"Pretty clever," Sky said as he came to a stop, this time ending up a little short but better than before, "You know, I think we make a great team> I definitely feel more confident flying with another Pegasus and you looking you're doing great with this. Alright, I think I got another idea for a trick. This one honestly I never tried before but I think it'll work."

He took off in a vertical flight into the air, rising for several feet before stopping. Then just when it looked like the trick was over he dove down in a vertical dive as if looking to crash to the ground. He had a plan to pull up and end the tick but suddenly he couldn't stop and he hit a dense cloud mass below where he first started. He fell through the cloud, stunned as he began to tumble to the ground!  

• 2 weeks later...

"You know, I think we make a great team> I definitely feel more confident flying with another Pegasus and you looking you're doing great with this. Alright, I think I got another idea for a trick. This one honestly I never tried before but I think it'll work."

Dusty grinned, and almost blushed as well, but luckily held it back. "Thanks," she said. "You're right, I guess it's not as hard as it looks, You're doing a great job with it too."

Sky then said he had a new idea for a trick, something he's never done before, Dusty nodded, taking off after the other pegasus,  flying vertically. Dusty hesitated as she stopped several feet above the ground, just as he did. Well, that was short. But moments later Sky went in a nosedive straight towards the ground. Dusty followed, tensing up as she prepared to pull up. Sky seemed to be preparing to do it as well, but suddenly he seemed to hit a dense cloud and got thrown off, beginning to fall towards the ground.

Dusty's eyes widened in surprise, and after a breif hesitation, she began to pick up speed, flying after him. They were just a few feet from the ground when she managed to grab his hoof. She attempted to brake and pull back up, but the added weight threw her off and the two tumbled to the ground.

After a moment, Dusty sat up, shaking the grass out of her mane and looking around. Well, it could have been worse. She looked over to Sky. "You ok? That was a close one."

Quickly Sky fell to the ground, unable to do anything in his dazed state. Then the sudden tug from Dusty jerked him awake as she tried to right him. He realized that in doing so she put herself in danger. The two touched down on the ground, albeit not in the most graceful of way as they both went into a roll. Sky Flare lay for a moment in the grass breathing heavily. He then heard a familiar voice of Dusty next to him, a sign that she was ok as well.

"Yeah, I'm ok. My ego is kind of bruised and well as other parts of my body. I feel so stupid trying a trick like that, and worst of all I could have got you hurt in the process or worse than hurt!" 

Dusty looked back over at Sky, who was apologizing for trying to do something brash llike that. Had he expected her to be mad? Dusty chuckled.

"Hey, no worries," she said with a shrug. "We all do some pretty stupid stuff at some point, right? Believe me, I would know. I've done some pretty dumb things...heck, I still hurt myself while trying new tricks sometimes!" To be honest, she had tried that particular trick before, back when she was a filly. Didn't turn out to well. Dusty smiled to herself at the memory.

"Yeah, I know that dumb things can happen. It's just that I care if another pony gets hurt in the process of trying to help me after making a mistake like that."

Clearly his mind affected him more than the actual crash. Still he was glad that she was uninjured. 

"Glad to see you're ok though. Anyway it's getting around lunch time. Want to get a bite to eat somewhere? All this practicing is making me hungry!"

Sorry about the short post. My brain isn't on role playing mode.

• 2 weeks later...

((No worries, I know that feel!))

Dusty sighed a little. Yeah, she knew how awful that felt, injuring somepony while trying out something stupid. But hey, at least neither of them was hurt, right?

Her spirits were lifted when Sky proposed that they get lunch. As if in response, Dusty's stomach growled quietly. She chuckled. Flying always made her hungry, after all! "Yeah, that sounds great!" she replied. "Where to?"

In his haste to change the subject and also to recharge for more fun, Sky Flare didn't quite plan out where he wanted to go. There were a few restaurants in nearby Ponyville that he went to, but Cloudadale was his home and he knew where the best places were. 

"Well, if you're up to flying to Cloudsdale there's a place called the Cloud Cluster Cafe. It's a neat cafe at the highest point of the city where you can get a view of everything around! Sound like a place you want to visit?" 

• 2 weeks later...

Cloudsdale, huh? Dusty smiled. Even though the mare has only visited the city a few times, it was one of her favourite places. It was where the Wonderbolt lived after all! Even though she hadn't heard of the Cloud Cluster Cafe, it seemed like a good place.

"Sure, I'm up for the trip. Sounds like a cool place," she said with a smile, standing up and stretching her wings a little.

"Alright," Sky said with renewed energy, "Let's go there. The good news is that Cloudsdale has moved closer to here, so we shouldn't have too far of a flight."

A thought then crossed his mind as he looked up at the sky as a few pegesai put some clouds into the sky.

"How about a race to the city?We can dodge the clouds on our way there and make our way to the highest level of the city. Are you game for a little race?" 

Dusty nodded. She had almost forgotten about the moving of Cloudsdale. It made her even happier that she was going there for a visit. 

But Sky's next suggestion instantly made her grin. "I am always game for a race," she said, her competitive side obviously showing."You're on." She then put her goggles back on, looking out to the city in the distance and then back to Sky. "Ready when you are."

Sky smiled as he got ready to race. He could tell that Dusty had a competitive side and this was something that the white Pegasus also had. 

"Alright," the stallion said as he got down into a take off position, "Get ready. Get set. And go!" 

With that the stallion took to the sky flying past his first cloud as he flew higher. 

Archived