Losing Hope (a sad roleplay)

blackswan126

Rift Whisper randomly wondered into the art studio on his morning walk. Was it still morning? he wasn't sure but entering the calm interior of the large building interrupted his thinking and brought him back to the world of the living. He'd been so deep in thought he hadn't keep track of where he was going or were he ended up but the smell of pastels and lines of artwork quickly gave it away, he hadn't gone to far ways from the normal walk, maybe two hours extra at best. For the sack of convenience he started browsing the pieces, have a longer look at sketches and paintings but nothing really jumped at him until he found a depressed looking pony drawing.

Instantly he was overwhelmed with curiosity and urge to see what she was drawing was to much to resist. A short teleport far behind her was quiet but not silent and after checking himself to be sure he wasn't touching anything, strained his eyes to make out the lines, shades and realize the art in motion like a audience at the beginning of a show.

Rift could not completely make out the picture in its sketch form and patient observed its development. Rift never thought he'd find the time to watch paint dry and in that same moment gain a new appreciation for the phrase, he thoughts tried to mix teleporting with art for a little and tried to imagine some possibility it could work. He never did find any idea and the complete picture captivated him, not so much the quality but the image. They say art is a form of expression and if this artist is drawing this now, then they mustn't be the happiest point in their life.

He move out of his little hiding and slowly approached her alongside the painting, looking between the canvas and her, his expression turned to concern and confusion. He tilted his head to the side and awaited her response, he wasn't about to open his mouth until he got a proper read on the mental state she was in. Not that he'll be able to say much to her.

Lightning Burst sighed as she looked at the picture, her eyes filled with tears. She then looked at a picture of her first painting she ever painted. It was a picture of her dream family, with her dream parents that never came for her. She looked back at the picture and tries not to cry but fails. She holds her first painting and sobs her eyes out for the very first time.

Rift immediate knew his initial guess was correct, she was miserable and probably has no one supporting her. He followed her eyes swapping between two fundamentally different pictures, one with solitariness, and the other of family. It was recent and had something to do with lost, or so he was thinking. He could sympathize with the mare, but he'd dealt with his own problems long ago. Maybe he could give some advice to be of small help to her, without digging his own grave.

He got a lot closer, almost beside her and analyzed the picture completely before turning and offering a light smile almost ignoring the tearful expression she had. "Pardon me miss, My name is Rift Whisper. I happen upon this place just recently, and I must say your art is beautiful." His voice was very soft and rather weak compared to general ponies. He lower his head a little in a small bow of recognition as he finished speaking.

She was still capable of some self control so whatever happened didn't seem like it was going to break her spirit. He nodded at her repeat of his name and offered his hoof for a shake. His eyes followed back to the picture and acquired one finial gaze before returning to her with concern "Some say art is a form of expression, it may seemed rude of me. But would you like to share your troubles with a random pony like myself?"

He forgotten to look for a signature on the piece the first time, surely there was one to compare to the other pieces on the wall to tell what was hers from the rest. A little more insight into her life, though it bugged him a little to try and pry into it like this. He'd hope it'd turn out for the better at lest.

"I'm sure it'll be ok to tell somepony. I don't really have any family to speak with about.....my parents....," looks down, sadness still filling her heart. Then remembers she forgot to introduce herself, "Oh! I never told you who I was. I'm Lightning Burst and my signature on my art is my cutiemark."

Rift nodded his head when she finished speaking and contemplated what she had said "Tell me, what is it you consider family? And what of your friends? Surely they would care for you and listen to what you have to say" He was starting to get ideas of what the issue is but he couldn't be to sure. Had to do with loss and loneliness or something very similar. Not exactly what he experienced but it has some common ground and that was enough to prompt him to keep asking questions.

"Well, I don't really have much family and my best friend, Fairy Sweet, went on a expedition to find some fairies and learn from them," Lightning Burst smiles sadly, her ears going back. Pulls out a picture of her pony friend Fairy Sweet with her at the Crystal Faire and smiles fondly, "She said she'll be home soon but it's also been very hard since my uncle passed away."

Rift exhalded and closed his eyes in a sort of diappointing sigh. "So you have no one else... Has it been hard without him?" He bit his lip a tiny bit when he opened his eyes again to see her sadful expression. He kept staring at her in wonder of excaltly how this pony could be so lonely, she could have just one friend right? surely there can be someone less noticable in her life she can lean on.

But would she be here if she did... He search for a stool and positioned himself next to her, shaking the stiff feeling out his legs as he went "Better yet, tell me about him..."

She smiles, happy that someone was interested in her uncle, speaks, "Uncle Art Spark was an amazing artist and he was very kind." Goes and pulls out a photo album shows him a picture of her uncle, his cutiemark was a spark with a paintbrush beside it.

Rift had a close look at her uncle's photo and turned to her art that was just recently completed. "Perhaps you should find more ponies to call friends so you are never left alone in a time like this... He was the one who inspired you to paint?" He slipped then and let his bad habit get the better of him. The stool was unbelievably uncomfortable and Rift shuffled around to try and make it even the slightest more bearable he started imagining what kind of pony could sit on this for 6 hours straight painting something, an unpleasant thought.

She smiles and nods, "Yes he was. He taught me to love all art and how to paint. He was very wise and got to travel all over Equestria." Flips some pages in her photo album and shows him the pictures of all the places her uncle went to on his journey's and smiles, "He took me to all of these places and we had many adventures."

Rift smiled back in return "Your uncle does sound like a fun, adventurous sort" it puzzled him when she said 'love all art'. art had many forms, primary recognized in nature, and foreseen as expression so by extension she was saying she loved everything she can see including the things no pony would want to see. He bit he lip and shook his head trying to stop himself over analyzing everything she said, she was alone and right now doesn't need someone weighing her every word. His flank was starting to hurting and he still had many hours of his day to fill.

"I'm sorry... These stool as uncomfortable, Would you like to hand this piece in and we could perhaps get some early lunch? My shout." he bounce off his stool and started inching towards the door ever so slowly while motioning to come with him and awaiting her reply.

Rift stop his inching and waited for her to close that little distance and charged his magic. A flash of magic enveloped them in a solid spectrum of indigo and transformed the dusty art gallery into a beautiful open cafe overlooking a small lake surrounded by forest, the smell of mourning air was undeniably refreshing and the landscape around them rose to meet them situated on the side of the mountain. The cafe itself was made entirely of high quality wood and gave off a very warm, cozy and welcoming feel. most notable of all was the script work though every inch of the place, no bare wood was left untouched and patterns varied greatly

"Welcome to my cafe. do not be alarmed, I'll take you back after your finished" he wore a smug smile and looked like a child guilty of stealing cookies from the jar. it would be best not to mention to her how far she had just teleported, but his cutie mark did look like a swirling portal. All the tables were packed up and unprepared save for one closest to the counter to which Rift settled into the more comfortable seats and beckoned her to come sit. The mare unicorn at the counter looked to have beamed in joy when she saw the addition to Rift and immediately sprung into action with the barista equipment and levitated a black menu to the table.

Rift's smug look turned into concern again after wiggling into the seat "You've showed me pictures of your uncle and Fairy floss, or whatever her name was. But no one else, why don't you have more pony friends?"

Archived