Night of the Comet (open/all)

Boss_Hoss1

Doc Holly Day floated a bottle of pills from out of his black bag.

"I got jist the thing!" the cowboy hat wearing unicorn neighed as the bottle opened and two small white pills floated in front of Hoss. "These aspirin are tiny, but powerful and fast actin'. They're chewable too, but the flavor ain't all that great."

"I'll get him some water," Louise said as she walked over to the bar, poured a glass of water and brought it to Hoss on a tray.

"Will ya still need to see'm in your office, Doc?" Sheriff Silverstar asked.

"Well, unless he has more complications, I think the aspirin'll do the trick. I've seen enough of these kind of head traumas to know this one don't seem to be too serious."

"Good job, young feller!" Granny Smith neighed.

"Javol!" added Apple Strudel.

"You two flatter me. No pony's called me 'young' in quite a spell!" Doc laughed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoss' eyes were derping much less now as he took the asprin and the glass of water and downed the asprin.

"Thank you everypony."

Shanna helped her brother up onto his hooves where he wobbled for a moment. "I should be good for tonight. I really dont want to miss it!"

Shanna pulled over a chair "Please sit down Hoss." and turned to the others "Thank you all. Our work tonight is very important. The Royal Canterlot Observatory has placed their trust in us to make sure we make the best observations in this, the best spot in all Equestria, to see it."

She looked around, then spoke again "Also, If any of the trailing sparkles fall to the ground, we are to plot the locations for study or they might be lost to the sands forever. Would that not be exciting, to see a piece of comet up close?"

"Glad to be of service, folks," Doc Holly Day said with a kind smile.

"Say Doc, you've been known to do some star gazin' from time to time," Sheriff Silverstar said, "maybe you can help Hoss and Shanna out with this here thing their a-doin' fer Canterlot."

"So, you two youngin's are here to see the comet? That's wonderful! I have an observation deck on my house outside of town. May give ya the best view of the sky, unless ya have a better spot to watch from."

"Lands sakes!" added Granny Smith. "Lookin' up at stars sounds like a lot of fun! I wanna come too!"

"Count me in too!" Apple Strudel shouted. "And vhen vee are done, vee celebrate vith strudel und yodeling!"

Outside the Bistro on the street arrived a large steam and magic powered vehicle, a modified version of the old Super Cider Squeezy 6000. On board are twin unicorns in matching straw hats and striped shirts.

"Well, here we are, brother of mine!" Flam neighed proudly. "Appleoosa! Perhaps here in this quaint little pioneer villiage is where we can make our fortune!"

Edited by Mojo

The Skybright twins stood and bowed their thanks to the unicorn. Hoss smiled "Thank you kindly for the offer, sir. We already have a spot picked out on top of that mesa near town. it's closer to what the mathemiticians in Canterlot calculated for the prime spot for the camera, and we have a great view in case any of the sparkles in the tail fall down."

Shanna nodded "But you are welcome to come to the mesa with us. The more the merrier for a comet viewing. Maybe some of the town ponies unable to make the trip can use your observation deck."

-----------

The smooth faced unicorn, Flim looked at his mustached twin and fanned his face with his straw hat He spoke in a confidential tone to Flam "Ah yes, Appleoosa, where the streets are dusty and the heat immense. Fortunately we had a few good barrels of cider to drink on our long and arduous journy, dear brother!"

He rubbed his hooves together, scheming... "Hopefully we've beaten the news of that brouhaha in Ponyville.

Perhaps if we can keep the con just a little more subtle, get our horns sunk in deep so to speak, where they trust us so they might discount anything anypony has to say that would.. heh, heh, "upset the apple cart..." he finished, elbowing Flam.

He scanned the streets looking for the next big thing. perhaps the Cider con could work again?

Flim began speaking but suddenly stopped, seeing a flash of yellow "Pardon me dear brother, but did I not hear there was an orchard in this very town? I... Say, isnt' that..."

He sat upright "Flam! Look over there! Does that bright yellow cart bear the markings of the Royal Canterlot Observatory? Are you thinking what I am thinking?..."

Flam's eyes lit up like fireflies.

"Royalty equals RICH! RICH equals MORE money for US! Dear brother, I think it's time to go into the telescope business! I'll build'm and you write the sales pitch! We have one good telescope with us, we can use that one as the 'floor model' to sell the rest, regardless of their quality, right Flim?"

Meanwhile, in the Bistro:

"Sounds like a dandy idea, miss!" Doc Holly Day neighed. "I'd love to join your group to watch the comet!"

"By thunder! We kin make it a party!" added Granny Smith, "oh my! Now I sound like that rambuncious youngin' Pinkie Pie!"

Hearing this, Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day looked stunned and upset.

"Granny Smith," the mustached lawpony whispered to her, "we here in Appleoosa don't mention her name. Trust me on this'n."

"Vonderba! A party!" Apple Strudel shouted, "have tuba, vill yodel!"

"Oh no no no," Louise said, "er.. I mean, maybe we can save the yodeling and the tuba playing until AFTER the comet goes by. I'm sure Hoss and Shauna are going to need to focus on their work for the Royal Observatory."

"And they came a long way fir this here comet viewin'," added the Sheriff.

"They do have a point, brother," Granny Smith said as her ears perked up, "I hears a noise outside! It sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it before."

"I hear it too," added the unicorn doctor. "Almost sounds like a train engine."

Shanna gave a Yay! at so many ponies going out to the mesa tonight! She then ohhhed "Oh, didnt you say something about, um, "her" being responsible for the stampede? I can see why her name would be a no-no then..."

Hoss' ears twitched at the mechanical noises outside "I hear it too. I hope it's not a giant steam powered spider like that Derring Do play in Cloudsdale last month..."

The twins quickly trotted outside and stopped in shock at the huge magine rumbling own the street, right up behind their yellow cart, the cow-catcher accidentally bumping it.

Hoss neighs and waves his hooves in the air "Careful! We're responsible for that cart!"

Shanna lifts off and flies right over to where the brothers were at the controls and hovers near them "Careful! We're on a mission from Caterlot Observatory! There's a comet tonight!"

Hoss flies up beside her "Yeah, the most awesome sight in the sky since The Mare in the Moon vanished from the moon's face! Tonight is our only chance for the best view of all!"

Flim was taken a back for a moment " We are sorry, yes, sorry

Dear Gentleman and Miss. We did not mean to cause worry.

In fact we came to this town to offer telescopes, Nonpareil~"

Shanna gave a questioning look, especially since these ponies were singing "Non-par-what?"

Flim pointed at her "Nonpareil, the finest, the best.

Please put our product to the teeeest."

He spins around and speaks to the growing croud for a moment, instead of singing.

"In fact we'l build enough for any who wants to see that very comet, right now but an insignificant speck in that big, beautiful blue sky, but only because of Celestia's radiant sun outshining the comet, yessir!"

"Wunder what all the excitement's about," Sheriff Silverstar said as he led the others outside with Apple Strudel and Granny Smith bringing up the rear. Flam immediately spots the Sheriff's badge and leans his unicorn head down towards him.

"Ah! I see we have a LAWPONY in the audience," Flam said nervous while giving a quick elbow to his brother. "And you must be the town's doctor! An intelligent group of ponies here I see!"

"Yes, I'm Doc Holly Day, who are you two strangers?"

"I've never seen anything like that contraption you're riding," added Louise LaMare.

"Glad to tell our story, its simple and it's true! We are the Flim Flam brothers and we have a deal for you!" Flam began to sing before he spotted Granny Smith walking out into the street. The mustached unicorn's mouth swang open at the sight of the lime green elderly mare.

"YOU TWO!" Granny shouted as she made her way through the crowd until she was directly looking the brothers eye to eye. "WHAT THE HAY ARE YA DOIN' OUT HERE? YOU MANGY SIDEWINDERS! YA TRYIN' TO SWINDLE THESE FINE FOLKS THE SAME WAY YOU NEARLY STOLE MY FARM?"

"So, dese are dee dumbkoffs who tried to out Sveet Apple Acres outta business?" added Apple Strudel. "YOU SVINEHOOFS!"

"Them's mighty powerful accusations," the Sheriff said as he moved up beside of Granny. "Whatdoya have to say about'm, strangers?"

Flam quickly turned away from the crowd to talk to his brother.

"Flim, how in Equestria did SHE come here?" he whispered, "of all the random places we could go, and that trottering old mare is HERE! We have a big problem, what are we going to do now?"

Flim ulped and looked at his brother in worry.

Of course! Another apple orchard, more Apple family. He really hoped the town wasnt' packed with Apples or this was going to be really tough.

He was sweating bullets as he started singing, hoing to charm the crowd.

"We found opp-or-tunity, right in her Com-uni-tee!"

"We found hordes of ponies thisty for cider,

Some freaky pink pony had drunk it all inside 'er.

We offered to provide enough of a larder,

if they agreed to us as a partner.

Our offer was sincere, but to us they gave answer clear;

NO!"

He shrugged in mock sincerity.

"What else was there to do?

Our finances was in a stew.

Bets were made and barrels were laid

And in the end we won."

He took his hat off and placed it over his heart as a ray of sunlight shone on him from a cracked window nearby

"We had an error in quality,

a thing we did not forsee,

for the contest did not judge taste,

and so we left post haste."

he leapt off the SSCS6k and bended knees before Granny Smith

"Our ways have caused us grief,

So we have turned a new leaf.

Be a dear, and see we are clear,

Now we just sell telescopes

to see the comet near!"

Flim looked at his brother, hoping he had given the sherrif a good start for him.

Flam immediately decided to follow his brother's lead.

"My brother is quite correct in everything he said,

Our last adventure truly left our faces red,

In Ponyville the choices we made were rather bad,

Instead of joy we made a lot of ponies SAD...

Then Flam began to dance before falling on bended front knees before Granny Smith.

"Oh please Granny, Granny please,

Accept our grand a-pol-o-gy

We learned our lessons, indeed we have,

A new start here, we want to grab.

And sell telescopes instead of cider!"

The gathered crowd looked very perplexed by this 'display' from the unicorn newcomers. Many were related to the Apple family and knew the story of what the two had tried to do to Sweet Apple Acres. All eyes were now on Granny Smith.

"Well, that is quite a tale," Sheriff Silverstar said, "and although I'd consider what you two did in Ponyville to be a crime, I have no jurisdiction thar. Seems to me the burden of fergiveness rests with Granny Smith."

"I agree!" added Louise LaMare.

"Vell sister, vee are all vaiting," said Apple Strudel as the elderly light green mare cleared her throat to speak.

"Flim, Flam, I've lived a long, long life," Granny Smith began, "and maybe my memory ain't what it used to be, but I do remember tellin' y'all to clear outta town if we won that thar contest. YOU won the battle, but the Apple Family WON the WAR! And to yur credit, ya did vamoose Ponyville. Well, I ain't one to hold a grudge. And if'n you two is truly sincere about this here turnin' over a new leaf thing, then I'll furgive ya!"

"OH THANK YOU, GRANNY SMITH! THANK YOU!" Flam neighed.

"BUT if'n I hear tell of ya short changin' ANY of the fine folk here in Appleoosa, then I'll be the first one in line to COURTMARTIAL YOU BOTH! GIT IT?" Granny Smith shouted, swinging her right hoof in the air.

"We get it, we get it, don't we dear brother of mine?"

• 2 weeks later...

Shanna and Hoss looked back and forth between Granny and the Flim Flam Brothers.

The unicorns looked relived until Granny Smith said she would CourtMarshal them both if they got out of line.

Flim looked at his brother "Can she do that? What does that mean?"

Shaking it off, he rushed over to the uncertain looking twins

"The past is in the past, Our future deals are going fast.

Come and see our telescopes, try em, buy em, but you cannot deny them.

Our display model was built to last. come on wont you buy?'

Hoss and Shanna looked stunned as they were actually being sung to, their hooves bouncing despite themselves.

"I don't want to find out what it means, Flim," Flam whispered before his brother broke out into song. "Better be careful how we behave here, for now."

As Flim sang, Doc Holly Day and Sheriff Silverstar joined Hoss and Shanna tapping their hooves and starting to sing with the song. Granny Smith and Apple Strudel simply stood there, stern faced, and listened.

"We're losing some of the crowd, dear brother," the mustached stallion warned. "Better step up our game...."

Flam reached for a fiddle and bow and then began to play and sing. (to the tone of 'Turkey in the Straw')

"What we have to offer here is something great and grand,

it's the best tel-e-scope found in all the land!

You can really see things far away with our slim device

Point it to the heavens and gaze at the sky so nice!

Flim Flam telescope, it's better than we hoped!

Flim Flam telescope, it's really not a joke!

Ten bits will buy it for yourself and let you join in the fun,

Of looking closely at the moon, or even the SUN!"

The 'country music' flare put a smile on Granny's face. It also caused Apple Strudel to stomp his hooves along with the song.

"Mighty fine fiddlin', Flam," the elderly mare said, "thar may be hope for you two delinquents yit!"

Flim tap dances his hooves as he brings the telescope out and presents it for the twins to inspect.

"Flim Flam Telescope, give it a peek.

Flim Flam Telescope, 10 bits are all we seek.

If you really like the scope,

we really hope you pass the good word along.

...Or we'll keep on singing this song..."

The twins laughed at that, and looked through the telescope.

"Nice!"... "Good quality!"

Shanna smiles at the unicorns "I am afraid we cannot use this as the main telescope since ours is set up for photographs, but this will be a good second so the one not taking the pictures can see it too."

Hoss nodnods "agreed. Will the other models be this quality?"

At the end of the street, a young adult buffalo, looking more like a fuzzy bull untill he gets his adult growth, ambled into the street from the end of town.

Lightning Horn began looking around in wonder, then down at the end of the street at the strangest machine he ever saw since the ponies started their town.

He ambled up "Hello Sherrif Silverstar. what is this?"

As the Sheriff was about to answer Lightning Horn, another familiar buffalo approached them.

"Howdy ThunderClap and Lightning Horn!" the mustached lawpony neighed. "Always happy to see y'all. Too bad yur about the only members of yur herd that set hooves in Appleoosa from time to time. To answer yur question, these here ponies er tryin' to sell and rent telescopes to us fer the comet that's gonna be in the sky tonight."

"Indeed," ThunderClap said. "I too came to town to observe this wonder of the sky from a good vantage point."

As Sheriff Silverstar talked with the two buffalo, Uncle Apple Strudel spotted them and began to panic.

"ACK! UN-EE-MAL!" the elderly bearded stallion shouted. "Vee are being invaded by MONSTERS! Stand back, sister, I will save you!"

Apple Strudel galloped towards them, but soon tripped on his green cape and started rolling towards the SSCS6k.

"INCOMING!" Flam shouted as his horn began to glow, steering the rolling Apple Strudel away from the wheeled machine.

"I'll stop'm!" Louise LaMare shouted as she took flight to try to 'head him off'.

"That crazy ol' coot!" Doc Holly Day grumbled as his horn glowed, trying to use his magic to slow the tumbling senior stallion down.

"Lands sakes brother! Have ya gone off yur rocker?" Granny Smith yelled. "These here shaggy varmints er friendly!"

"Pardin me, guys," Sheriff Silverstar spoke as he produced a lariat and tossed it accurately on the still moving Apple Strudel and brought him to an abrupt stop. "Surry bout that, friends. Apple Strudel's visitin' town and he don't know the history of good relations between us Appleoosans and yur buffalo herd."

The twins looked on in amazement as they awaited an answer from Flim and Flam as a pair of buffalo were in town, and the elderly pony Apple Strudle went on the attack thinking they were monsters.

Even Flim was stunned watching the elderly pony yell a charge and end up rolling down the street before being saved by the Sherrif.

The unicorn ahemed and shook his head to get back on track. Flim grinned charmingly as he lied "Oh yes, my dear. All the telescopes will be made to the highest quality. We are the finest telescope makers this side of Griffon Rock, Nonparil! Is that not right Brother Flam?" he did not mention the were the only telescope makers they knew of west of that battle monument...

Lightning horn mooed a chuckle and shook his head, showing off the tribal lightning bolts painted on his cheeks "I am sorry sir, We are not Gorgons or Catoblepas as live in the Toxic Cayons. It is as Thunderclap says, we are here to better see this shining light in the sky, this comet."

The teen buffalo turned toward the SSCS6K "So they are selling devices we can see far away things with? Amazing! Hello unicorns! Is this giant red machine what you see the comet with?"

"Right you are, dear brother of mine!" Flam shouted as he posed with the telescope. "You can't go wrong with a Flim Flam telescope, my shaggy pal! It's help you see for miles around! Everypony, and buffalo, should buy one!"

Louise LaMare, Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day rushed over to help Apple Strudel to his four feet. When he shook off the dust from his green clothes, Granny Smith stood staring at him.

"STRUDEL! You owe these here buffalo critters an apology, NOW!" the gray maned mare shouted.

"Javol!" the embarrassed bearded stallion neighed as he walked up to the two buffalo newcomers. "Please forgive dis old horse for jumping to conclusions. But I have never seen anyvone like you in all mein travels back in Germaney. I am very sorry.."

"We understand, sir," Thunderclap said with a smile. "We hold no ill will, Apple Strudel. Perhaps sometime later you would be willing to tell us all about this far away land that you call Ger-mane-y?"

"JAVOL!" the elderly stallion neighed.

"Are you feeling ok, old timer?" Doc Holly Day asked.

"You did take a nasty spill, sir," added Louise LaMare.

"Don't vurry bout me, dear friends," Apple Strudel said with a grin,

"My brother's as tough as a pine knot!" Granny Smith laughed. "It'll take more then that to rattle'm up!"

"Now that we know Apple Strudel's ok, I wanna know more about these telescope yur offerin'," Sheriff Silverstar said sternly, staring back at the unicorn brothers. "Jist how many of these newfangled things do ya plan on sellin' here in Apploosa?"

• 3 weeks later...

Lightning horn mooed and bowed to the elderly pony stallion "You apology has been accepted, sir. Perhaps an actual apple strudle is included in that? I have never had one before." he licked his lips hungrily.

Meanwhile, the red maned unicorn, Flim tipped his straw hat at Shanna, then turned to the Sherrif.

"A fine question, a fair question, Sherrif Silverstar. Why, as many as we can make in the short time this comet will be around. Is that not right, my dear brother Flam? Telescopes of magnificent quality" He added in a whisper (just read the fine print for warranties, conditons and qid pro qos first...).

"I will make sure to do that," Sheriff Silverstar said sternly.

"No need to fear us, my fellow mustache wearer," added Flam. "My brother and I are as honest as the day is long!"

"You better KEEP it that way, sonny!" Granny Smith neighed.

"I vould LOVE to fix mein famous apple strudel for you, herr buffalo!" Apple Strudel shouted.

"If it tastes anything like Appleoosian apple pie, I will look forward to it," added Thunderclap.

"I think I'd like to read all that fine print too," Doc Holly Day spoke.

"And so would I!" added Louise LaMare

• 2 weeks later...

The Skybright twins looked at each other dubiously as the unicorns seemed to be up to something.

Hoss ahemed "We will be very happy to do quality control inspections, sherrif. Keeping our telescope in top condition is a #1 requirement."

Shanna folded her arms and stared at the unicorn twins "Exactly! We dont' want anyone to miss out because of defective equipment."

Flim had beads of sweat forming which he tried to pass off as the hot afternoon sun when the Sherrif declared he wanted to read the fine print.

"Um, yes R-right sherrif. We had better get busy with those telescopes, right dear Brother Flam?"

He passed over a warranty agreement, hoping te sherrif did not have a magnifying glass or a way to check for dissapearing ink...

Flam now looked equally as nervous as his brother. The salespony non pariel really didn't expect the Sheriff or the town doctor to take him up on his offer to read the fine print.

"Correct you are, dear brother of mine," the unicorn in the striped shirt said.

He and Flim awaited the mustached lawpony's and red maned unicorn's reaction.

"Well, alright then," Sheriff Silverstar said sternly. "Reckon I'll leave ya to yur work. I feel a heap better bout this with Hoss and Shanna on the job to check them thar telescopes fer us!"

"If you say so, Sheriff," Doc Holly Day said, "but I'd still be happy to give that warranty a good hard look if ya want me to."

"I agree," added Louise LaMare. "Who better to verify quality in telescopes than two Pegasi from the Royal Observatory Team!"

"And besides that, Hoss and Louise gave me a great chariot ride in duh air!" Granny shouted.

"Day did, sister?" Apple Strudel asked. "Oh, I vish I could have a ride in dee air like dat!"

"You flew in the air like a winged pony?" Thunderclap asked. "No buffalo has ever traveled in the sky before. I would very much like to be the first!"

The normally suave and unflappable Flim ulped and hoped the doctor could not read the really tiny parts of the warranty or find the invisible ink part as he rushed to help Flam build telescopes.

Shanna and Hoss looked at each other as several of the crowd around them were suddenly excited about rides in their cart. Even the excitable younger buffalo was practically hopping on his hooves.

Lightning Horn grinned as his friend was wanting to fly. Surely Thunderclap could not say no if he wanted to fly after him. "Oh yes! I would like to fly after he does! Please?"

The twins sighed good naturedly "very well, I'm sure we have some time before there are enough telescopes ready to inspect."

Shanna nodded "Yes, so who wants to go up first?"

Hearing all the excitement about flying, Flam took his brother aside briefly as he whispered to him, "why didn't WE think of that, Flim? There may be a market here to give flightless ponies aerial rides. Perhaps I should work on inventing a flying machine that we could use to sell rides in the air to these rubes."

Doc Holly Day's keen hearing picked up on Flam's words, though the red maned unicorn decided to keep what he heard to himself for the moment as most of the crowd seemed very eager to see who'd get the next flying 'chariot' ride.

"I tink our younger buffalo friends should get dee next ride," Apple Strudel said with a smile. "I am villing to vait for mein turn."

"You honor us, sir," ThunderClap said as he politely bowed towards the elderly stallion. "But I suggest Apple Strudel go next."

"Well, I already had my air ride and I'm not lookin' fer another one!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed gruffly.

"Oh now, it wasn't THAT bad, was it Sheriff?" Louise asked as she teased the lawpony.

Flim got out all the materials on stock for telescope tubes, keeping a worried look out for anypony trying to keep them honest. "My dear brother Flam, That is a spectacular idea! Maybe a custom airship bag for our SSCS6K?.." He shook his head to get his mind back on their task. "Meanwhile, do we have enough lenses for this town? Would using horn power on the local sand to make more be... "acceptable?"

The dapper unicorn breathed a sigh of relief as the pegasi were too occupied with requests for joyrides to keep an eye on them.

Shanna and Hoss looked back and forth at the elderly pony and the buffalo. Shanna harnessed up while Hoss waited to buckle in whoever stepped up first.

Thunder Horn sat down on the wooden sidewalk "I can wait. I want to see how this works first. Please go right ahead sir."

"Absolutely, dear brother," Flam replied with a nod, "We can do it! Shall we go work on the telescopes now or take in some of the sights and sounds of this quaint little town first?"

"Vell, if dee two of you buffalo insist, I vill go first, but I vant mein sister to ride vith me, if dat is ok," Apple Strudel said.

"Sure thing, baby brother!" Granny Smith neighed, "I'll show ya all them things I saw the first time I was in the air!"

"Shanna, Hoss, if you need more wingpower I'll gladly help out!" Louise LaMare neighed. "It would be my pleasure to fly with you!"

"Winged chariot rides could become a sensation with the tourists here," added Doc Holly Day.

"Reckon a smart cookie could make a lot of money with chariot rides," Sheriff Silverstar said, getting the immediate attention of Flam.

"What is this, money, you speak of?" asked ThunderClap. "We buffalo do not have such a thing among us."

Flim tapped his chin in thought then spoke in a low voice. "Given the attention we already have, dear Brother Flam. If we do not see the town now, we may be too busy escaping to see it at all... I believe we can take a "lunch break" since we just arrived in town, dont' you? There are also flying prospects to think about..."

Meanwhile Shanna and Hoss nodded eagerly "That would be fine with us, Mr Apple Strudel." "Yes Shanna, she's a great passenger!"

The twins turned to Louise "Oh yes! Thank you Miss LaMare! The more the merrier.." "Thank you! That would be a great help!"

Hoss moved to help Granny Smith up into the cart. "Come on up you two and I'll fasten you down. The float and stay-put enchantments on it are strong, but... Better safe than sorry, after all."

Shanna chimed in "Our superior in the Royal Canterot Observatory rides in this cart all the time, and that cranky unicorn is as afraid of flying as the sherrif so it's a very safe cart."

Lightning Horn mooed excitedly to ThunderClap "I think it's a barter item they make."

Madam Bistro smiled as she overheard the buffalo "It's actually an organized system of barter. Bits or gems represent so many baskets of corn and the value is generally the same no matter where you go. You can sell blankets made from your wool or other goods now, and buy food later in the winter without the entire herd having to carry bundles of blankets to trade in one go."

She pulled out a bit "See how light that is? Thats worth one of my donuts. Two is a slice of pie. A piece of turqouise the size of a bit is worth more depending on its quality."

Lightning Horn peered close "Amazing!"

The mocha mare smiled "Just make sure if the tribe sells or buys anything, the sherrif is there as a referee. Some merchants, whether pony or griffon, might take advantage of you..." Keeping the buffalo's attention, she gave a sideways glance toward the Flim Flam Brothers... She'd seen their type before in Manehattan and Fillydelphia and wanted the buffalo to know too.

ThunderClap turned towards Lightning Horn.

"We buffalo have much to learn about the ways of ponyfolk," he said as he turned to Madam Bistro. "Thank you for this wise council, ma'am."

Flam quickly took his brother aside as he whispered.

"Hear THAT, Flim? These shaggy beasts don't know the value of money. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Seeing the unicorn twins huddling up again, Doc Holly Day walked over to Sheriff Silverstar.

"I don't like the looks of those two, Sheriff. I suggest we watch'm closely. They're nuthin' but trouble."

"I have to agree with ya, Doc," the mustached lawpony whispered. "Betwited the two of us, we'll keep'm from causin' any more problems."

As Louise hitched herself to the front of the wagon with the Skybright twins, Granny Smith and Uncle Apple Strudel were getting situated in the back.

"Mein sister! Are all dese restraints really necessary?"

"Sure are if'n ya don't wanna fall out! Thar ain't nuthin' between us and the ground other than a bunch of air! Don't worry none bout'm, brother. Git ready fer the ride of yur life!"