The Photo Shop [Open]

cheese canan

<p>Shutterbug absentmindedly wondered around her store, fixing displays and checking the inventory of her products, ticking them off her check-list as she went down each aisle. <span style="color: #3BDA00">"Backdrops; check... Film; check... Lenses; check... Monoheads; check... Tripods; check... I think that's everything..."</span> Shutter looked around her shop and sighed, slightly disappointed at the lack of available customers. <em><span style="color: #3BDA00">'Wish I had some customers here; sometimes this place's like a ghost town..'</span></em></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Shutter walked back behind her counter placing her clipboard down, and began flipping through a random magazine that was already lying about on the counter. A small smile slowly crept up onto her face as she landed on a picture of princess Celestia during the Summer Sun Celebration one year prior-- or maybe it was three? The event itself was no doubt pretty amazing, but this picture made it look even more stunning than it actually was. The way the photographer paid attention to the photo's light exposure and composition was remarkable, but it's color-scheme and the way you could almost see each individual ray of light hitting the back of the princess as she rose up to raise the sun only helped to make said picture even more beautiful. Shutterbug dreamily sighed and took a quick glance around her shop for any sign of new customers. Nothing. <em><span style="color: #3BDA00"> 'Oh well... I guess not having customers isn't so bad. I mean, at least I can relax some more...'</span></em> she thought, before fully engrossing herself further with her pictures, analyzing each one's composition and style.</p>

Photography is an art.

Maximilian repeated this phrase to himself over and over again as he casually cantered through the streets of Fillydelphia. He had been informed of some photographer here by an associate, and with nothing better to do Max decided to get his portrait done. It wasn't a vacation, he told himself, he needed a new portrait for legal purposes. No matter how he justified it, Max didn't feel right about paying for a photograph of himself. 

The white unicorn stopped for a moment to get his bearings. Max reached into one of his tuxedo's pockets for the address he was looking for. With a flick of his blonde mane the rich pony continued not only his walk but his internal dialogue. 

He understood how photography worked, having been shot many times and listening to old ponies monotonously explaining the intricate precision behind each photo. The only thing he didn't understand was how it was considered art when all the pony did was point and shoot. How was that difficult? Anypony could do that! 

Luckily he arrived at his destination before his internal rant could continue. The outside of the photo shoppe was a bit disheartening, but Max knew not to judge a business only by its exterior. Maximilian Rockefilly jr flung the door of the establishment wide open to announce his presence. However, entering the shop did little to improve his impression. With an awkward silence he stood in the doorway and blinked at the pony inside. After a few tentative moments he finally spoke.

"Um... I'm here to get my picture taken..."

Shutter was so into her magazine that at first, she hadn't even realized that the white stallion was there. Only after a minute or so had passed since he walked in, did she actually look up to check if anyone had entered. As her gaze settled onto him, she went wide-eyed for a moment. Oops; A customer! How long has he been standing there?! Shutterbug quickly walked over to Max, mentally cursing herself for getting distracted by pictures during work. Again. Honestly, when would she learn? "I am SO sorry about that! I was... err... temporarily distracted by something." She gave a sheepish grin, and then held out her hoof for him to shake. Hopefully she didn't leave that bad of a first impression. "By the way, my name is Shutterbug and I’ll be taking your picture today. For what occasion would this picture be for?" asked Shutter with a nervous smile. She really didn’t feel like working today anymore, but a sale was a sale. And besides, it had been a few days since she had held a photo shoot for somepony else, and not just scenery or animals. And sending away a customer because she was too lazy to work would never help further improve her skills, now would it?

Max reached out and gently took hold of her hoof. Using this greeting as a sort of test, to see what type of pony this photographer was. He was slightly annoyed by her nonchalant attitude and her non-existent attention.

"Rockefilly. Maximilian Rockefilly..." He paused and released her hoof before adding "Junior." With a flick of his leg he pulled his hoof back and stood straight. Max adjusted his tuxedo and sighed. "I need a new photo for my business, a simple portrait will suffice." He looked at the young pony and grinned. "I know how hard photography is. Can you do that for me?" He asked, condescendingly. He paused and pulled out his magic coin purse.

"I know you artist types. I don't want a 'masterpiece', I simply require a portrait." He sighed again and looked around the shop. "If you can do that for me, I might even give you a tip.

Simple? Shutterbug couldn’t help but display a slight look of dissatisfaction at the thought. Oh well; making an otherwise mundane, run-of-the-mill business portrait into something visually distinguishing could prove to be just the challenge her skills needed. Shutter understood he wasn’t looking for anything extravagant, but couldn't let him walk out here with a photograph so... so... 'blah'. She may have felt too 'lazy' to work before, but her pride as a photographer and her conscious just would not allow it! Besides, Max seemed as if he came from a respectably well-groomed company – she figured that in a place like that, image is everything. "But of course I can mister... Rockefilly was it? Hmm; that name sounds familiar... Oh well; if you could kindly just follow me." She had a feeling he was looking down on her –- was it her business or herself; she couldn't that figure out -- but wouldn't let that get to her. Shutter turned around and walked over to a nearby door and turned the knob, leading the way to a much bigger studio room. "Sorry, but I'll just need a moment to set up my things. Please take a seat over there." She gestured over to a seat in front of a gray backdrop before her horn started to glow, levitating some umbrellas and hot-lights and strategically placing them around the shooting area, while she herself started putting together her camera. She began to change the lights on her camera, before realizing she forgot to ask, "Would you like it in black and white, or color? If you're concerned with prices, B&W are usually lower."

Max scoffed. A Rockefilly concerned with prices? HA! He could buy millions of prints without putting a debt in his finances. He sighed and addressed the photographer dismissively.

"Color, please."

Maximilian ventured over to the waiting area and took a seat. Ignoring the provided reading materials he pulled out a newspaper he had magically stowed away in his tux. He flipped to the only section that mattered, business, and began to read. He couldn't help but notice the impressive set up Shutterbug had. Without a word he nodded his approval and continued reading.

"Ah. Got it." Well there goes my chance to try something more vintage-like... She sighed as she took out the light bulb she had just put in and replaced it with one slightly dimmer; too much light could probably be a bad thing. As she continued to do last minute adjustments, she began to stare at him through the corner of her eye intensively, and studied his features; trying to think from what location she’d get a better shot. If I shoot head-on from there... No, that's too simple. But from that angle, I'll probably get a more dramatic lighting. Hmmm... "Well then Junior; I'm ready when you are." She called as she got behind her camera, waiting for him to come take a seat in front of her. "Just take a seat in front and we'll start." She figured that this session might take a while to finish, so engaging in a little small talk couldn't hurt. "So what exactly does your business do, Junior?"

"Please, call me Max."

The unicorn did as he was told and sat in front of the camera. Maximilian did a last second check of his mane to ensure that everything was in order. After a few tentative moments he finally responded to Shutterbug's question.

"Well, our business IS business. I buy and sell goods, companies, stocks, anything I can. You get something and sell it for more than you paid, it's simple. Of course, there's more to it than that but I won't bore you with the details."

Max grinned. "Of course, I do investments as well..." He grinned and spoke slowly. "Say there's a company, or business, that i'm rather fond of... I could pour thousands, MILLIONS of bits into it, to make sure it does well. Of course, i'd have to be mightily impressed... And I haven't seen anything here in Fillydelphia worth my money"

He continued to talk, emphasizing his speech with dramatic gesticulations. "But one can always be taken by surprise..."

“Ehe; Max it is.†The moment he sat down and fixed himself up, away Shutterbug went, snapping a photo of him every few seconds or so, periodically changing locations whist tuning in and out of his dialogue. “Ah I see; sounds like an interesting profesâ€â€oh! Hold that pose!†Snap went the aperture as she photographed him in midst of his hoof movements. “Perfect.†She stopped for a moment and adjusted one of her lights. If he meant something by that last sentence, either Shutterbug didn’t hear it, or was too engaged into taking his picture to take note of it. “I personally could never deal with all that you know– working with so much money, I mean. The stuff can make one go mad. Why not just do som-- could you face your head to the ceiling and look down at the camera?" She asked as she got near to the stallion, trying to take a low-angled picture. "Anyways, why not do something easier? It just seems like such a stressful hassle, dealing with all those other big-shot companies."

Maximilian continued posing, his head moving from side to side at the photographer's command. He was enjoying himself, and as the photo shoot progressed he was really trying to look good. With an energetic tone he addressed Shutterbug's statement.

"Well, It's my life. I was raised to do business, and it's all i know. I don't consider it a hassle, or a bother, because it's something i love to do." Max paused. "Like how you take pictures. I think it's boring and easy, yet you obviously enjoy it. It doesn't stress you out, and it isn't a hassle."

He snorted and gave a chuckle.

"But believe me, stress is a part of my job. It wouldn't be fun if there wasn't anything at stake." Max had a gleam in his eyes as he continued. "Fortunes made and lost in a single night, with a single signature. The fate of cities in your hooves. It's a rush, and it's not for everypony." He continued, slowly losing focus on the picture taking.

If you can't handle no sleep for four days while you try to broker a last minute deal before the window closes and your projected annual profit drops a quarter of a percent and you have to sell that real estate you just bought for half price because you swindled the land owner-" Max took a deep breath and finished his sentence. "..then this isn't the job for you."

He sat there, silently basking in his own joy. Max finally snapped back to reality and gave his trademark grin to the camera.

"So, Shutterbug, why do you do something so mundane? It seems so boring, pointing and shooting inanimate objects and ponies all day."

Shutter listened attentively to Max, barely understanding what the white unicorn meant by the terms ‘broker’ and ‘window’, and couldn’t for the life of her understand why dropping a quarter of a percent would be considered a bad thing since in the mare’s mind, that didn’t seem like much. But what she could tell, was that he dabbled in some pretty serious business. “... No kidding. I guess we all have our preferences. Could you look for here for a second...?†she asked, moving to his right, nudging away an umbrella that was in the way, constantly pressing that shutter the entire time until... “Mundane? Oh it’s not boring at all! Honest! It’s actually pretty calming and relaxing, once you get into the groove of things; my problems just seem to disappear. Though it can get kinda stressful when developing film... chemicals... now that's the one part I could do without...†She closed her eyes and shuddered, as if remembering something quite unpleasant to her, but then had to stop what she was doing and ponder his question for a moment; why did she do this for a living?

“Well I... I guess I do it because the world’s a beautiful place?†She cracked a small smile as her eyes softened, fixating onto nothing in particular. “In my opinion, photography lets you see the world in a different light, and appreciate the smaller things in life – you’d be surprised how much things in life you can overlook. Anyways it... sort of opens up a new world for you to see, and lets you capture moments you could never catch with just mere words. Pictures speak louder than them, you know. And yeah; sometimes it can get a little... tedious, but I’m always meeting new ponies. The whole process of photography is quite exhilarating, actually.â€Â

Shutterbug then realized that in the midst of reminiscing of all the pictures she's seen and taken, she had ceased to take photos of Max. “Oops; sorry for getting distracted there! Eheheh...†She laughed sheepishly and began to resume taking Maximilian’s photos. “Anyways, what I’m pretty much saying is that for as long as I can remember, photography has always felt more like magic to me than... well, magic. And after all these years, it still does.†She walked over to another side of him. “Now, tilt your head this way and smile please, mister Max.â€Â

Max was impressed by her answer. His appreciation of photography improved, and at least now he accepted that it really was art. Maximilian usually disliked such metaphysical explanations, but he could tell she genuinely meant it. With added flair he did as he was told and smiled.

"To each their own, i guess."

Upon further reflection, Max began to feel somewhat... conflicted. For years Max found the utmost joy in what he did, but lately no amount of money satisfied him. This pony still found happiness in what they did, but for Max the joy he felt from earning money was less and less. Without showing it to the camera, Maximilian was deep in thought. He decided to change the subject.

"You know, i hope these turn out OK. A good portrait leaves a good impression."

“Don’t you worry mister Max.†Shutterbug reassured him. “These definitely won’t just turn out ‘ok’ -- they’ll be perfect! Just you wait and see!â€Â

She continued on with their picture taking session for quite a while, then paused. “Darn; ran out of film...†Shutter placed her camera equipment place to its original location and proceeded to remove its film cassette. “Is there anything else you’d like to do -- any other expressions or poses you’d like to try out?†she asked , plopping a fresh, new film canister back into place.

Max thought for a moment. He could just pay for the pictures and wait for them to develop, but he had something else in mind. The photographer seemed to really enjoy her work, and though he wouldn't admit it, Maximilian enjoyed having his picture taken. He had an idea, and he didn't have anything else to do that day...

"You're the artist, i think i'll let you decide. Price is of no concern, so you can try anything you like! So long as it makes me look good." He grinned. "Just go all out"

He finished speaking and sat quietly, waiting for Shutterbug's reaction.

Shutter's eyes lit up. “Anything, you say? Sweet!†She happily obliged, eager to continue on with the session. Shutterbug walked over and opened a door in the studio, struggling to levitate a regal-looking chair out of the storage room, among other miscellaneous props. “Gunna... need you to take a seat for this one here... please....†As ‘gently’ as she could, she lowered the armrest down in the shooting area, struggling a bit in doing so. After all, magic or not she didn’t normally bother to lift up objects bigger than herself – especially if they were heavy, and was not accustomed to dealing with objects with s large weight, but exceptions could always be made in the name of photography. “Phew... Okay, now let’s see... Once you sit down, how about... hmm. I know! Rest ‘yer head on your hoof, move your head away from the camera, and look like you’re deeply in thought.†She walked over to her camera and stood-by.

Maximilian was genuinely impressed with her effort, and that chair looked quite regal. He eagerly bounded towards it and plopped down in its cushony goodness. Max sat for a moment in the chair and loving the powerful feeling he had while sitting in it.

"I love this chair!"

He moved constantly, enthusiastically trying to find the most comfortable position. Max was like a small foal given a new toy, he was restless and constantly moving.When he looked up and saw the odd expression on Shutterbug's face he stopped what he was doing, and quickly did something else.

He laughed.

A deep bellow from deep in his chest poured out and the Rich stallion shook as his body was taken over by joyous shakes. After a few moments he cleared the tears from his eyes and fell silent. Acting as if nothing had happened, he addressed his photographer:

"I like that idea."

With all joy drained from his face, Maximilian moved into position. He had a smoldering look in his eye as he rested his chin on his hoof, faced away from the camera, and stared right at Shutterbug.

Shutterbug was just about to start taking pictures until Max started to move around. So instead of beginning the shooting, she stared, honestly not expecting such fascination or excitement about a piece of furniture. Though she couldn’t help but crack a smile and chuckled along, not only greatly amused with his antics, but finding his laughter quite contagious. “Ahaha well then, let us begin!†She enthusiastically announced, and proceeded to snap those pictures away. “Yes, that’s good. Keep lookin’ here... Lift your chin up a bit? Waitaminute.†She levitated a mono head to his left and turned a dial on its side, making it shine a little bit brighter, but not enough to completely over power the picture or blind him. “ Okay; perfect.â€Â

After Shutterbug finished, Max stopped posing and simply rested in the chair. He was happy, genuinely happy. He hadn't expected to find such a good photographer here in Fillydelphia, nor had he expected to have fun getting his picture taken! He should really get out like this more often. Maximilian reflected for a moment and grew serious, he lifted himself from his seat.

"How long until the photos are developed? And how much do I owe?"

Max levitated his coin purse out from an inner pocket in his Tux. Any sign of happiness was gone, and he had snapped back to business mode.

>> ... how DOES pony currency even work actually? O_o <<

“Let’s see...†Shutterbug looked up thoughtfully, trying to calculate mentally the length in time it’d take for the film to be processed. Not succeeding in figuring it out, she quickly gave up trying to calculate all that in her head, so decided to estimate. “Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong in the darkroom, I’d say... an hour or so?†She gave a hesitant grin. “Sorry, but I’ve never timed myself with that part, so I can’t exactly tell you with certainty, mister Max. And as for price... hmm...†She pondered that thought for a bit while removing the film canister from the back of the camera. What did I charge for portraits again? “...I'm guessing... 50 bits'll do?â€Â

Max was taken slightly aback. This kind of service from a high end studio would cost many times more than 50 bits. If the pictures turned out as well as he expected, this would be a great deal! Of course, a good customer tips when appropriate.

"Ok... 50 bits..." He pulled out his coin purse and levitated a stack of bits out. He placed the first stack on a nearby table. Without hesitation, he pulled out a few more stacks of the same size, until a few hundred coins sat on the table. "Plus tip..."

Max didn't wait for Shutterbug's reaction, he simply took a step towards the photographer and looked her in the eyes. "I'm not a pony who usually gives bits away, but you did well. Consider this an investment. Use it wisely..."

He turned away and headed for the door. "I'll have an associate pick these up in ONE hour. Good-bye." Without another word the rich Stallion left the photo shop. Although she couldn't see it, Max had a wide smile.

Her eyes widened at the substantially large amount of coins he placed on the table. “T-this is your tip?†So... generous. She didn’t expect so much money and so didn’t know what to say, but was very much grateful. She stared back. “Don’t you worry good sir, I shall.†She tried to keep a normal game face on, but couldn’t hide her excitement at the prospect of buying new equipment for her studio. “O-one hour you say? Will do. See you around, mister Max.†Shutterbug happily waved him out the door. “Come back soon!†She began to levitate the coins into a cash register while she knocked on a door behind the counter. Nervous shuffling could be heard on the other side, and within moments the door opened, revealing a pale blue unicorn standing in its dark doorway. She nervously looked around the store to see if anyone was there. No-one. She sighed in relief "... yes...?" “Guess what? I just had some rich pony stallion come by. You wouldn't believe the shots I got, and---†“How much?†"...What?" "...How much... did you charge..." "... Oh." Shutterbug was a little taken back of the fact that she didn't want to hear of her photoshoot experience. "Uhh... Fifty." The bespectacled unicorn gave her a disapproving look.

“Fifty? But... your pictures... are worth at least 3 times that much...â€Â

“Aw geez; thanks Anti.†She smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of her head, flattered by her praise. “But that’s ok; I don’t like charging much for something I’d do for free. And cheaper prices usually mean frequent customers!â€Â

The blue unicorn sighed at that answer. “One day... That thinking is going to cost you this store...â€Â

“Besides, look at THIS--†She pointed her hoof at the remaining stacks of coins that wouldn’t fit in her register. “He gave me all this as a tip! Can you believe it?!†She said enthusiastically.

Antimony looked at the stack of bits, then back at her, obviously not showing the same amount of excitement as she did. “... I... can see... So? Where are they?â€Â

“Oh right; here.†Shutter handed her cousin the film canisters. “I’ll need them to be developed in one hour girl.â€Â

“... aren’t... you coming in with me...?â€Â

“I would, but someone’s gotta keep an eye out for any other customers!â€Â

Anti gave her a skeptical look, not buying her excuse – she knew Shutterbug just didn’t want to develop them herself, that she wanted to sit back and do nothing like usual. But instead of calling her out on this, Antimony kept quiet, fearful that by saying something, Shutterbug would be the one developing the pictures, and she’d have to be the one dealing with her customers if one ever came back. So without another word she walked back into the darkroom, leaving shutterbug alone at the register, still visibly content. “I wonder what I could buy... I guess another umbrella or 4 wouldn’t be so bad...†Shutterbug took out the magazine from earlier and resumed looking at her pictures.

>>Ahahaha... Just felt like sort of introducing antimony (sort of), and trying to get a feel on her character... ^^;;<<

With the day moving toward noon, Big Time's stomach growled. He wanted to stop at a restaurant and grab a bite to eat, but he had one more errand to run before he could have lunch at one of Fillydelphia’s many fine restaurants.

For days Big Time had been planning his first big party in Fillydelphia. Having not the slightest idea on how to throw a party, the blue Pegasus studied about the subject. Big Time gathered party supplies and hired a DJ, but at the moment, he needed assistance on one last thing. Flyers.

Big Time knew a lot about flyers, considering he was a talent agent, but he had no clue about photography. This flyer needed to have some type of photo on it that attracted the eyes of ponies everywhere. Price wasn’t much of an issue, but he didn’t want to spend too much.

Standing at the entrance to the photo shop, Big Time pushed his sunglasses up higher onto his muzzle before pushing through the door. The blue stallion kept wearing his smile as his eyes adjusted to the indoor lighting.

Seeing the mare sitting with her magazine, Big Time approached the register.

“Hello, ma’am†the pegasus said in a polite tone of voice. He tried not to startle her too bad, since she seemed so fixated on the magazine. "I was looking to get some flyers made, and I need some help with the photography."