Fitting (Closed: Rarity)

SteelEagle

ValenOrange1withtext.png

How rare was it for a pony to know exactly how much he mattered to those around him? Valen wasn't a presumptuous colt by any reasonably fair estimation and he did believe that he had a certain quality of character about him that shone through his at times awkward mannerisms an personality. Opposed by what he was told, however, it would be hard not to summon a steely set of prideful steps that an unwary colt may gallop upon and be cast downward by a most egregious pride. Luckily he was sufficiently wary enough to not fall into that honey trap, even if it felt good to hear. It wasn't unreasonable for Valen to consider each success like this an emboldening step in his development, but he qualified them all in their own turn. Hopefully that would forestall any arrogant development.

His family loved him and supported him when he told them he wanted to move to Ponyville. His mom had been slightly more shaken by his decision but was still proud and excited about what he could do. His parents often worried about some of his choices in life but they had learned to trust his decision-making regarding friends and that was enough for them to think he was being smart. He was talented, brave in his own way, and intelligent. They told him he could do great things, so he moved into Sweet Apple Acres. He had always gotten along with the Apple side of his family and they were supportive of him joining their household. They told him he was a good pony who was always welcome to help them constantly relearn the value of family and love. So yeah, just there it'd be easy enough to geta big head, but that was only half of what played tricks on his mind any given day.

Rarity- she said a great deal and she backed it up more than anypony else he had ever met. Truly, she put her bits where her mouth is. Valen had a successful modeling career thanks to her. He had really etched out a great part of his life thanks to her, and it was thanks to her that he had found a mode of expression that utilized his passion so well. She was a big part of his life so when she asked for him to come over he made sure to answer the call without delay or fuss. He knew the way to the boutique like the bck of his hoof now and got there early- just as it was supposed to open. He knocked on the door and waited with baited breath- what would his friend have in store for him this time?

Rarity opened the door to the shope with a huge grin on her face. She knew of course that it would be her favorite young pony.

"Well hello there darling. You seem to be extra early today. Why don't you come in and have some breakfast with me hun?" She opened the door all the way only to show a massive pile of dress requests all over the floor of what would be her office. "Oh pay no mind to the mess now. That is talk for a later time." She spoke slowly and softly. There was clearly something on her mind that was pushing her towards exhaustion. She was trying to keep her head up but it was clear she didnt sleep last night.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen didn't need to be a genius to realize that something was a little off about Rarity today. Well, there was always something a little off about her mostly because she tended to push and push until she could do no more. In that way she was marvelously alike to Applejack. No wonder they had once been an item- similar philosophies in different manners of living. In any case, it made her easy to understand but also harder to deal with when she got into certain states of mind. So lost in a world of lace and creation that she forgot she was just flesh and blood and needed to let that creatively powered mind rest just a while, bowing to the demands of mere biology. He followed Rarity as she led him in, offering breakfast. He could never say no to a sweet breakfast with a good friend!

“That would be delightful, Miss Rarity. I haven't had a bite to eat yet, I was so excited to get over here,” Valen responded with a light laugh, brushing back his mane absentmindedly as he followed her into the boutique. His eyes did gander at the dresses, choosing to drop the subject as she herself seemed to draw his attention away from it. He was here at her request; best not to push the subject any. “Sounds wonderful to me, Miss Rarity. So, how have you been? I haven't seen you for a little while. Haven't been trying to avoid me, have you?” Valen asked with mock shock, following it with a light chuckle. It was going to be a wonderful day.

• 2 weeks later...

Rarity peeked and eyebrow towaeds Valen in question.

"Avoid you? Why heavens no. I've just been so busy lately with all these trips to Manehatten and Canterlot that I can't seem to find much time for anything these days." She grinned as she looked down at pan. Very carefully she took forth from her ice box some wheat toast. With an expert grace she slathered the prices in butter and put them on to cook. In two fine crystal glasses she poured some juice. Sitting down at the table while she waited for the bread to toast.

"I have a question for you Valen. I need you to answer me with one hundred percent certainty." She spoke softly but quickly. Her eyes locked onto his as if staring to his soul. "There is a fashion show that will be happening in Canterlot in about a week. The outfits that I was asked to make are to be showcased there. The only issue is that I need a small filly model to use as both a dress model and a run way model. With all of my other options out of the way I have to ask you." She bowed her head as she got up to take care of the bread. Smothering them in honey and jam she places one in front of Valen and one in front of her own spot. Giving him a fork and knife as well as herself.

"But first. Dont let your toast get cold." She was a bit shakey with the knife as she was so tired. But she hadn't been able to sleep and wouldn't be able to for at least a few more hours. There was still a contract to do if he said yes and even if he said no she would have to work on the dresses reguardless. This show in Canterlot was going to be her biggest yet. She couldn't hold back or show up as a failure in anyway.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen sat down as Rarity beckoned him to, concerned over her mannerisms as he was. Well, he had given her an easy and comedic out and she had dutifully ducked it so it was work related. That was better than expected news if only because it was simply so Rarity. Only a few ponies could work themselves into a tizzy like her, one of her greatest capabilities and weaknesses colliding terribly. She could work for hours, days even, and only at the end feel her stamina rush up on her in it's infinite loss. She reminded Valen of Applejack in that way; workhorses of a different color and verve but similar in more ways than they knew. He couldn't even begin to guess what order or demand was plaguing her so. He just hoped if anything it was of her own doing.

And it was. She had a large show in Canterlot coming up and wanted his help as a model. Well, there was nothing unusual about that request, none at all. He'd done it for her before and he'd do it for her again. He was more enthralled at the possibility of this being a unique, large scale show of hers. Now there was something to sink his teeth into! She could be a drama queen but when it came to her work she could easily alternate between fits of anxiety over shows and downplaying their importance to a legendary degree. The fact she was doing neither at the moment told her that there was something else at play here, something that still stole her attention to a large degree. Unusual for her, but he shrugged it off. Mares could be weird like that sometimes. And any worry he did have was overrun by the excitement at doing another show. He grabbed his knife and jelly and went to work on his toast.

“Miss Rarity, of course I'll say yes. Have I ever said no to you, you silly mare?” Valen replied pleasantly as he spread his jelly evenly on his bread. He loved toast, he loved jellies and jams and peanut butter and everything like that but he was on a diet, especially if he was going to be on the show floor! “Thank you for the toast, by the way. So, tell me more about this show- and are you sure you're all right? You seem rather...shaky,” Valen said, hopefully not pushing her buttons any. He didn't like pressing buttons he wasn't supposed to.

• 1 year later...

Rarity grabbed her red glasses that she often used when she was working on a dress or outfit and placed them on her face.

"Oh my dear, I think I've finally taken on more then even I can handle. You see, this dress is Magical. But I just don't think that I have anypony to wear it. Anypony but you that is." She spoke with a soft tone and in a rather relaxed tone now. She poured herself a glass of water and sat at the table next to Valen, pushing some of her papers and sketches aside for the moment and resting her head on the table.

"The only issue," She began. "is that I also need you in ANOTHER show. Which happens to be four days after this one. You'll be modeling my newest summer ware for Fillies." She flipped a few pages around and handed Valen a rather intricate diagram filled with numbers and lines. Among them could be seen some rather cute frilly summer dresses all the way down some rather interesting looking swim-wear. "This is a quick look at the outfits darling, you are free to say no if you don't think that you can do both shows." She placed her head back on the table trying her best to fix her mane with her hooves. She neglected to tell him that not only was the dress that he would wear for the next show ACTUALLY magical but that he would also have to take some of his medicine when he went to the swim-wear show. These were things that Valen's Special Somepony Silver Spoon had informed her to leave out for now.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Valen listened, a little confused but still invested in this delightful future that Rarity had constructed. The confusion stemmed from not understanding why Rarity would classify needing to work a show in four days after this one as an issue. They'd worked on stricter schedules in the past, hadn't they? He supposed she was a bit of a drama queen and the chance that this concern was related to that was not small. Her boundless and wordless creativity was powered by a mind so invested in acrobatic thought that it could sometimes stick a landing in the more unstable elements of her shining and bright personality.

So instead of probing what her concerns were, Valen decided to invest thought into the designs. It was only proper after seeing all the effort she had put in! Her dress was sublime as always, but that show for fillyware looked exceptional. This was especially true due to the target of the show. Most of the time what he wore was a pared down version of a mare's outfit. He got to display serious fashions for the serious modeling world. But this was different, and exciting. Filly fashions for the filly fashion world and consumers. Less exciting from the art of clothing perspective, but with some big names on it- this could mean very big business.

Of course he was in! ”Pfft, perish the thought, Miss Rarity. I'll strut this out like a thoroughbred and make you more money than you ever dreamed. What was your goal with this piece?” He asked, pointing to one of the swimwares.

• 1 month later...

Rarity

With a quick swipe of her hoof she chuckled, pushing a few of the designs over in the process.

"Those were supposed to be for the 'Bright Sun Ball' show, but that one seems to not be going on anymore since 'lack of interest.'" She rambeld on about the show and how she had spend DAYS making these.

"They are made of hydrophobic material that was designed to keep the water out and off. But as you can see." She says quietly as she uses her magic to bring a bucket of water from the other room and pours it on both the swim suit and Valen by accident.

"Oh my, I am so sorry." She quickly uses her magic to bring a towel over and with her own hooves begins to rub-dry Valen. The swim suit on the other hand was left a sopping mess. She lets out a long sigh as she gazes over the mess she had just made, not only had the swim suit shriveled up to an all but nothing existence but now some of her paperwork for other designs were also soaked.

"I guess that this just means that there are a few less shows for me to plan for." Shaking her head side to side as she finished with drying off her little helper.
"I would like to have you try these other few outfits on for fitting if you have the time today darling." She raised a hoof to a rack of mannequins that were somewhat hidden behind a red curtain. "The last one on the list for today would be the one that your Fillyfriend picked out for you to wear, but I really want to see if we can't get some of these more," she lets out a long pause as she thinks about how to phrase her next statement to him, "revealing ones." Nodding to herself hoping that she picked the right words, the set of mannequins included three very fancy dresses, two sets of swim wear, and four sets of 'casual' clothing. "These are the ones that you will be modeling in the various shows, its best that we start off with the casual ones though to get them fitted properly. I know this isn't the most fun thing that you had planned to do today but with the limited amount of time and the tinsy fact I forgot to mention about my other model for the Summer Sundown show canceling, it really has been a huge mess around here lately." Rarity adjusted her signature red spectacles on her face as only a single tear dripped down. This day, no this week, had been very tough on Rarity. She felt that she had taken on so much work for these so called 'high-end' fashion companies to put pieces in their shows that she had rung herself too thin. Would somepony notice that she showcased the same evening gown in three different shows? Surely somepony would, and then would she ever be allowed to call herself a 'fashionista' again? 

"I know I haven't been seeming like myself lately, hopefully once this season of 'summer shows' is done we can focus on something more relaxing. Like hot chocolate and marshmallows. Also new boot fashion." She nodded wiping the tear from her face.

Rarity really could work wonders with fabric. In a magical land you could easily delude yourself into believing one could accomplish anything with it, but that was not the case. It took carefully practiced and skilled magic to weave fabric into such a pattern as to allow the aether into it and help mold it. If you were in a big city you'd pay hundreds if not thousands of bits simply for a designer to attempt it. With Rarity, you had an artiste of such passion for her work that you got all that effort for free, put into even the most simple of designs such as a swimsuit. True to her words the swimsuit failed to live up to her desires- even a wonderful designer such as herself had failures. It was in these failures that future greatness grew, however.

She washed him off as he listened to her. “Oh, no problem Miss Rarity,” Valen said, trying to ensure he got all the relevant details down correctly. She really had managed to overwork herself, hadn't she? The amount of clothes weren't all that unusual, but if they were all enchanted, then each one was much more time consuming than even five pieces of similar stitching and creativity. That meant that a relatively 'small' amount of clothing options were indeed a creative tour de force. Considering they were all for different shows and had a great deal of input outside of her normal realm- this time, Silver, which brought a blush to his face- it was hard to see how she couldn't be absolutely plastered.

He was going to help her, of that she should have no doubt. No tears to shed! “Miss Rarity, no need to be so glum. No doubt your designs are going to shine across Equestria. Now that you've done the majority of your heavy lifting, let me add my own skills to your collection. I'll get started right away,” he said with great confidence, striding towards one of the casual outfits. He picked it up started putting it on. It was a nice light blue blouse and yellow skirt combo, flowing and free. After just a short while he was done, and turned to Rarity.

“Oh, this is nice. What were you going for with this piece?” He said, wanting to invest her in kindness and creativity as she went about fitting him properly for it. Why she thought this wouldn't be fun for him he didn't know- this was going to be divine!

• 3 weeks later...

Rarity had some help from Silver Spoon designing a few of the outfits, they were of course all enchanted and that's what made them take so long and be such a hassle to deal with. If it wasn't for Valen and his readiness to help her out on such short notice she might of either had to enlist the help of Silver Spoon or maybe even just wear them herself! But as time was super important to their project she knew that she could count on Valen.

With his kind words he donned on one of the 'Everyday Line' of clothing. It was a simple fair that's for sure but this set was very important to the whole show. It was a set that had been enchanted to relax and ease the mind and body. Something that everypony needed.

"Well, as you can see its designed to be rather simple and comfortable. But what you might not see is that its also designed to be relaxing. Its more of a subtle feeling but I can tell that it works at least." She nodded her head as she spoke using her glasses to look at certain seams and creases to make sure they fell in just the right spot on him. With a few pinned up spots she took out a small needle and thread and began to hem the skirt a bit. The pleats now falling just down off his flank, covering most of his hind legs but keeping the curve of his flank exposed. "Hmm, I do hope that isn't too short." She put a hoof to her chin as she walked around him inspecting her work. "I bet you are wondering what outfits Silver helped me design." Rarity let out a soft chuckle to herself. "I never knew that you'd get yourself a Fillyfriend who doesn't mind that you are a female model." It was true, Rarity knew that Valen didn't mind wearing all this fancy couture and clothing but when it came down to it, he was a colt. She paid close attention to the top to make sure it didn't slip off him, it was rather loose fitting to begin with but even with her modifications it still felt as if one wrong move would have it flopping right off him to the floor. Maybe she needed to just tighten the sides or just tape it to him. Body tape was a thing that she had had to use before and while it wasn't very pleasant coming off it didn't feel too bad to have it on.

The more she spoke the more he could do little more than agree, and indeed, could see himself in her shoes. This was definitely the sort of enchantment an expert seamstress and unicorn could pull off and it was working. Relaxation was the name of the game for this it appeared and it was a game that she played with the greatest of skill. He could feel the subtle workings of the magic as it filtered through his synapses, slowly but surely reducing any worry or care he might have had about what the plan was today. The clothes were suitably wonderful but he could easily see the enchantment being what drove ponies to purchase this. Mot that the style wouldn't normally(it would), but something to relax the mind while looking great in casual environments was a one-two punch worth whatever price she had in mind for this. He was just happy to be a part of it.

She hemed the skirt perhaps a wink too high, but he wasn't going to fight it. "It is fine," he said with a bit of impassivity. He was then moved on to the next topic, his fillyfriend Silver Spoon. It was true he had lucked out in that regard, at least thus far. The future may hold a thousand dark surprises but he was just happy that up to this point in time, Silver wasn't one of them. "I do consider myself very luck to have her, Miss Rarity. Just as I consider myself lucky to be your friend," he said pleasantly, allowing her to finish. "I think this one went very well. A bit loose on the top, but so very nice. What would you suggest I try on next, Miss Rarity?" He asked inquisitively, excited about the prospect of what new wonders awaited him in her closet of fashion and world-class design.

Rarity was quick to help Valen take the attire off and fit him into the next set. She hung the previous set on the mannequin for further inspection later.

"This next set is a bit more complicated." It was a rather poofy looking dress that came with a petticoat and an over coat. It was very reminiscent of a maids outfit but with a less uniform look. The colors were a soft blue and purple intertwined with hints of white. The outfit was only completed once you had put on the matching stockings and shoes. Once she had helped him into it she took a step back. This set was clearly not fit for him in anyway but that was part of the challenge was to make it so. Her hoof to her chin as she looked at him.

"I bet you can't guess what this set was designed for." She let out a soft chuckle as she flipped part of her mane out of her face. It was a rather interesting request, but someone had paid lots of bits to have this set made, it was designed to encourage submissiveness. Not force, but it was supposed to make it a more relaxed affair. 

The second set of clothing was definitely less casual than the first, and seemed far more themed. The dress was large and poofy with the frills of a petticoat clearly displayed, and the design of the overcoat striking and feminine. The stockings and shoes completed the ensemble, though he clearly failed to mask a bit of confusion. This didn't really seem like much of a showcase piece for a designer to display during a show, did it not? This looked like something an elegant maid would wear, down to the styled stockings and shoes. It was clearly not made for him, but it still looked good. Maybe a bit much, but he wasn't going to say anything that went against the grain of what must have been a developing fashion trend he was unaware of. Still, he couldn't shake a feeling that this was a little too off the wall for a show, and that something else was going on.

That thought vanished quickly, escorted out by the charmed remnants of the magic from the first piece. No doubt this played some crucial role in a new design process. She even said it was a bit more complicated. What could that mean save for it being some manner of process, that he dare not question? "Oh Miss Rarity, I don't know what this set could be designed for," he said with honest curiosity, looking at his finely covered legs. Even though it was no show piece, it was still clearly well made and finely woven, something no doubt top royalty would give to their maids. Was she going after the royal maid market? An exclusive one to be sure, and not something he imagined there was much competition for. If that was the goal- well then, a truly inspired masterstroke from Miss Rarity! And if not- well, it wasn't like he had the mind to argue, even if he wanted to.

oUloYCr.png

Rarity let out a soft laughter almost to herself, the set prior seemed to still be having a lingering effect on him.

"Well you see Valen, that set is designed to help coerce submissiveness from its wearer. Granted its not a forced feeling, but it makes saying yes and doing what you are told a little bit easier." She thought about how to prove it to him, the last set with its relaxation effects would make this a bit harder. "Why don't you come over here and give me a kiss on the cheek then?" Rarity leaned her head out and pointed a hoof at her cheek. She had a feeling that Valen would have done this regardless of if the magical effects of the set were working or not. The next set was a bit strange in its own way, it was simply hat, necklace, ear clips, and a top. It had been commissioned by one of the ponies at her Summer Sundown Show, a big wig in the Manehatten housing and construction industry. The set had been designed and infused with magic to make its wearer feel and act more feminine. Rarity had only guessed that the set was for his wife who had been not feeling very like herself lately but alas Valen would have to try it first.

"And after you are done with that I want you to strip off what you have on and put it back on the mannequin for me and then sit right in front of me so I can place the next set on you." She spoke softly but sternly towards Valen now. The set he had on now fit him perfectly and actually needed no adjustments other than maybe tightening some of the straps, but that could wait until the show for this piece was here.

Valen started to feel the least bit uncomfortable with some elements of the tone she was taking and, to a lesser extent, her word choice. And the question as to why she had been testing out these specialty garments on him. They all appeared made for very specific causes. In this case, the maid outfit was to increase submissiveness, but why would such a garment need to be in a fashion show? He could understand going after that market but the enchantment seemed...odd to him, somehow. It struck him that most maids would have a strong dislike of it, and that most nobles would scoff at it. It seemed a rare misfire on her part, unless of course there were other things in play. He couldn't discount the possibility that the enchantment was merely meant for one or two specific uses, and the design for more general use.

He decided that was the case, with the magic from the first making it easy to find compromise with what he was being told to do and going along with it easily due to the second. She was a very generous pony and a great designer; he loved helping her. All of these were facts. This was a bit of an odd direction for her to go down, but surely she meant nothing but the best, and the sooner he responded the better. Dutifully and without question he trotted on over and gave her a friendly kiss on the cheek. He would have done so anyway if asked- the magics involved just made it so he didn't question why she asked. Then he trotted back into place and waited for further instructions. They weren't long out.

She wanted him to put this outfit on the mannequin and then report to her for the next outfit. Seemed simple enough, and if he was going to ever go far in his career he supposed it was good to learn these skills. "Sounds like a wonderful idea, Miss Rarity," Valen sounded off, getting undressed and then dressing the mannequin back up. It took a few minutes but he was dutiful, and was soon in front of Miss Rarity. "Excited to see this next outfit, Miss Rarity. Truly a bang-up job so far!"

• 2 weeks later...

waxsOiG.png

Rarity was very pleased with the way that Valen was acting. Her tone had taken a bit of an 'Evil Mastermind' trill to it but that was something she quickly corrected with a giggle. She had figured that Valen would have given her the kiss on the cheek without the need of the enchantments but she felt it was a rather harmless way to 'demonstrate.'

"Well next, this is a rather feminine set." She began to place the pieces upon him. She was very careful about its positioning and the way it flowed on his body. Granted it was very much too large for him, but that was easily fixed later. The poor colt was practically swimming in the summer dress. The necklace sat on him like a collar and the hat just about the right size. "Hmm, it seems my measurements for this set were way off." She tapped her hoof on her chin a few times. "Mayhaps we need to get Twilight to help with this one." Rarity had worked with Twilight a few times before when it came to outfits and enchantments, no one knew them better than Twilight that was for sure. Together the two had made some very very interesting items. The other option that came to Rarity's mind was to call Coco to see if she was still in town and have her help with the stitching or even just to rebuild the outfit from scratch.

"What do you think Valen? Is it at least comfortable?" Rarity's motherly instinct was kicking in a bit as she adjusted the hat upon his head and brushed his mane from his face. He really was a close friend to her and she sometimes had to remind herself that he in fact didn't belong to her despite her thinking and sometimes wanting it to be that way. "Or would you rather me call Silver to come help." She let out a soft giggle, Rarity knew he would be opposed to that idea. That is the last thing she wanted to do to him was give her more 'black mail' material. Even though part of this whole process was her idea Rarity had been lead to believe that Valen himself wanted and asked for this.

The first few designs were unusual in their own way but all in all excellent designs. Show worthy for sure and easily able to hold their own in any facet of society. But this one was...well, it was off, and way more than the others. He didn't know how this could really happen. It was far too large and she acted as if that was a surprise, which it couldn't have been. She was too smart and too amazing a designer to make such a large error. It was way too big and misshapen and outside of any real form of fashion. You could make beautiful jewelry, an amazing top, and a fantastic hat and it could work, but it felt as if it just wasn't a real outfit.

It was bad. She asked if he was comfortable. “I suppose so,” he said, eyebrows furrowed as the discussion continued. Why would comfort matter for this? It clearly wasn't show worthy even if sized right. It was missing a bottom and it seemed like not a piece you'd display. He wasn't sure if he would even suggest somepony wear this around. It looked like he was trying to hide from somepony. It wasn't terrible if taken in by the eye of an everystallion, but to a trained eye it was bordering on hysterically undercrafted. But she was such an amazing craftsmare that he decided to throw the last of his optimism in this craft into the basket of Rarity's planning. There had to be a cause.

Not that it mattered once Silver Spoon was mentioned, but perhaps not for the reason Rarity would have thought. Silver already knew of Gilded and what he did, so it wasn't as if this was blackmail as far as he was concerned. “If she wants to come over I see no reason why not. It would be good to get some honest, non-biased feedback, yes?” he asked hopefully. No doubt Silver Spoon would see the same things he saw. “Why would Twilight need to be called? Surely these are your own enchantments, right?”

Archived