The Quiet Quarter (closed)

BeGoneThots

Stormstride, the quiet gray colt walked along slowly. His patrol area was small. The school, a few shops, and some houses. One block, in the middle class district of Canterlot. One could see the palace towering over the town. On occasion the Princesses could see seen on one balcony or another. Stormstride kept his eyes and ears on the streets however. 

Many of the ponies in his patrol area regarded him with respect. The foals looks up to him most times. Even when he was forced to be stern with them. The occasional shoplifting or skipping school. But he often handled them reasonably quietly. The colt often took them home and explained to their parents. 

The colt came to this assigned station. The corner, where the school sat, where his daughter attended school. He stood there, facing forward like he always did. Spear at his side, eyes front and forward. The colt allowed his ears to swivel quietly. He could hear the foals inside playing or chatting. He allowed himself a tiny smirk. 

He watched the shops across the street, noting the ponies inside. He listened to the clop of hooves on the street. Everything sounded in perfect order. Everything looked normal. But then again, it often did when something went wrong. Stormstride glanced down the street. he saw another guard. His posture was relaxed. He was alert, but not as alert as he was supposed to be. Stormstride returned his attention forward. The sun was shining, the day was nice. And yet Stormstride felt like eyes were on him. Some pony was watching him. The unicorn felt uneasy now. And then he saw another pony approaching him. The sun was partially coming from that direction, making it hard to see this pony. 

Stormstride kept an ear toward that pony, allowing his other senses to the world around him. He did not feel threatened, but he did feel as if this pony was looking right at him.

Well it was about bucking time! It had been well over a week since her fight against the Jarl Sigurn of the Caribou, and while she won that by the skin by the skin of her teeth, her armor had been reduced to shrapnel in the end. And now here she was, trotting about proudly in a new set of Captain's Armor.

It felt a bit too heavy for her taste, and was certainly too shinny and pristine. Heck, she wished that the smiths whom were in charge of designing these things would take a sandblaster to the armor and dull them out! But none of the less, you can't have your cake and eat it all the time.

Even though she was technically supposed to be off duty, and on vacation to see her son here in Canterlot, she figured she might as well get an early start and get a feel for her new armor. Which admitably felt much much different than her old set... which was several years older than her son.

It wasn't all so bad though. She definitely appreciated the small but noticeable amount of padding they had placed into the more recent sets. She often loathed pulling the armor off after a long day, or what ever bouts they had to find heinous rashes of chafed skin underneath her coat. This will definitely save her troops a lot of trouble too. After all, that annoying bit of daily agony was one source of fuel that earned her a reputation as a sadistic and angry CO.

What was more pleasing though, was that her helmet felt virtually the same. So there was some familiarity for her. It rested snugly on her, with her short mane cut. And easily allowed her to brush her mane off to the left, and pin it over her eye patch so her one good eye could see.

And see, she did, as easily spotted a royal guard standing at a corner in front of a school house. The captain smirked to herself as she began to ponder what a school house could possibly need protection from. But, that ended when she recalled many interesting peaks of Canterlot history. Especially concerning a giant roach infestation due to some magical commit.

Yep... definitely appropriate now that she thought about it.

“Oi,” The Dutchess called out with a thick Fet Lochian accent. “Ye enjoyin standin like a stiff, or ye lookin for somethin that needs to roll ovah?”

The colt immediately turned on hoof. Raising one hoof in salute. He could see who it was now. He knew the armor as a Captain's armor. "Ma'am!" Lowering his salute he retained posture. "Simply concentrating on my duties ma'am. This school isn't much, but this district is home to at least 20 foals. It's my assigned duty to keep them safe while at school ma'am." 

The colt was quiet and calm. His tone was not like other guards. He was different. Stormstride turned an ear toward the sound of a raised voice. However he turned it back toward the captain when it quieted down to mild laughter. "Corporal Stormstride at your service ma'am. I can understand why some would question my presence here. My position was instated shortly before the return of Princess Luna. It was up for question until the Changeling incident. After that this position was made permanent." 

He turned his head as the school bell rang. The helmet lifted a little and revealed a scar on his neck. If one was to look, they might see the remains of other scars. Scars on his legs and close to his chest. Turning back to the captain he spoke. "Recess." he said softly. As the foals filed out to play, he watched on in particular. A caramel colored little unicorn philly with a splotch of cream color on her flank. Then he returned his eyes to the Captain. "Is there something I can do for you Ma'am?"

The Captain grimaced at the formallity. Her one eye rolled in it's socket as she shook her head with a disapproving sigh. “Just call meh Breezer, hun. Ah'm technically off duty, but new digs came in, so I'm breaking in the gears.”

With that, her horn lit up, and soon her helmet came off. Having to compress her mane down, it left it a mess that soon came crashing down over her cheek, and reaching just slightly past her chin. But she was never the sort of mare to care for appearances. If she did, she'd opt for a glass eye instead of a bloody eyepatch. She stood still and regarded the stallion for a moment.

To her, he didn't look all that impressive just yet. She also hadn't seen him too often. So he was likely one of the guards in the Sister's castles. Which likely meant baby sitting duty and policing traffic. But she couldn't tell if this guard was fresh or not out of training. But she didn't think to long, it took some special kind of training to stay stoic for longer than five minutes.

“Relax though soldja. The kiddies will still be there when ye turn back to a statue again,” She chuckled. Her telekinesis lowered her helmet down to her side, and clipped it to a belt to hold it in place. Once it was secured, her horn stopped glowing.

“Sides, don recommend worring much,” She hummed. Her eye swiveled in it's socket to look to the kids with a distant expression.

“Do so long enough and ye add another twelve years to ye milage, yah?”

The colt smirked. "That's my daughter right there.The caramel colored little philly. She's my world." He levitated his own helmet up and off. his mane was braided, and tumbled down beside his neck. Looking at her, he spoke. "I know what you might think of me. I dont look too special. how did a patchwork colt like me end up in the service. Honestly its a simple story. I found my talent early in life. Protecting weaker foals from bullies." His horn arced softly. Lightning. "Weather spells can convince even the meanest pegasus to stand down." The helmet settled on the ground beside him and the pale blue and white glow left his horn. 

The colt's posture relaxed some. He flicked his braid to the other side of his neck. "It's not that I worry for their safety. No pony in their right mind would ever hurt a foal. But I've seen enough in my time as a guard to know that even Celestia herself has her limits. No pony, no matter how powerful or ancient can ever be right where they are needed all of the time. Sometimes you slip up. You miss something. You forget to check something or pass it up because its so unimportant. And you end up with another incident like the Discord Affair or The Changeling incident." The common street names given to a few of the incidents. 

"I've been at this for a few years. I dont like taking chances is all." He smirked and waved at his daughter. The foal waved back before running off with her friends. "What about you? Why are you around this end of town? Usually Captains live up in the upper end of town. Closer to the palace. Or do you just enjoy the simpler way things are down here?"

Star Breezer continued to listen, even after her eye fell on the child that the guard had pointed out. A knowing smirk appeared on her lips as she watched the foal play. It didn't even take a mother to know it was just a father keeping a watchful eye on his daughter.

“Well,” The mare began as she now leaned against a nearby lamp post. Her horn lit up to push her bangs out of her one good eye, and back over to the left. “Let me start with the first bit. Things are gonna get in a bad bout no matter how you act. So learn to relax when ye can. Changelings are already mingled about the crowd, but they're not bad people... if ye can get past their selection of diets. So we tend to leave them be.”

The mare cleared her throat, and tilted her head to the side. An audible crack came from it, just before a hoof moved to gently rub at it.

“And I don't live here. I'm a Cap'n in Fet Loch. I'm also a Dutchess. Bit more privileged,” The mare gave a slight shrug, showing that the title didn't mean much to her as it did to many other nobles. She was a proud Dutchess, but she didn't believe it meant she was above any pony. Just given more responsibilities that she takes seriously. Even when her reputation as a Dutchess and a Captain... made her quite the anomaly. The Brazen Dutchess of Fet Loch, was the cheers when ever she went out on a night of debauchery. And that tended to happen more than it really should.

“No no. Ahm here visiten me son, The mare chuckled. Her eyes flicked over the foals for a moment before turning to the street with a thoughtful expression.“Good lad, and got himself a great mare. Sanity's goin ti the gutter though. Two different cases of trauma. But eh... that's life's fault. Talked em to seeing aid. All in all, proud of my work. You? Or ye worried bout ye girl growing up?”

"A single father always worries about his daughter. And how she will grow up. Shes a good philly. Always minds her manners and makes good grades." His smile faded some. "I just wish her mother would write or...come see her. I've let go of the anger. But it still bothers me she wont reply to any of her daughter's letters." The colt sighed. He rubbed his neck a bit. 

"As for the changelings, Yea I know. I dont hold them responsible for what happened. Still, I had two broken bones and a dozen gashes in my skin from that incident. It's hard not to hate something that hurts you and threatens your foal." He shifted stance. "Still I suppose an enemy you can be mad at in combat is better than one you cant even raise your voice too, let alone raise your hoof." He looked aside. "She's never met my parents."

The colt smiled when she spoke of her son. "Glad to hear it. If he is anything like you, he's a fine colt." The stallion stretched a bit. "Ahhh. Need to get my armor refitted again. I keep working out and it gets tight. At least I know I am in decent shape." he chuckled softly. "So... A dutchess? That's a title I haven't heard around here before. I'll trade you stories. You tell me how you became a dutchess.... and I'll tell you why I take my statue pose so serious. fair trade?"

The mare raised a brow when the other started talking about his ex wife. She then shook her head as a small thought of the young pony came in mind. It's offensive for a mother to break all ties with her own child. Especially after what she had to endure just to give her life. “Funny, ye think the heifer would see the foal she brought to the world,” she rasped bitterly. But she gave it a small shrug, dropped her flank to the pavement, and crossed her forelegs. “Ah well, let er rot in a ditch then. Now for the changelings and your hatred...

“Mmm... think of it this way,” The mare hummed with a thoughtful expression. “Ye can't be mad at the individual for following orders. And ye can't be mad at the rest of them for the actions of a group. Now yes, collectively the changelings are loyal to their queen. But there's a few of them that simply want to meld into society. Something tells me you have not met the Caribou yet. Their reputation is not... very good with the rest oh the ponies now. But some of them are still good folks.”

“Pft. Try me old armor. Ye day aint right when your shoes aren't. Same goes with armor. Lacked the padding that's standard in ye armor. Rubbed me raw just bout everywhere daily. Back, shoulders, flanks, legs, neck, pft just about every place it's latched onto. Put me in a foul mood daily. Can't remember a day oh life when I wast ready to eat another's face off.”

And then finally came the question of how she got her title. The mare gave the buck an irritable look. The sort that was often given for a stupid question. But eventually she broke out of it into a mad cackle when the pony offered a trade. Well that was practically a bad deal for the other.

“Pft, you're not gonna like the trade ye askin fer then. Baron and Dutchess? Those are titles of nobility. Usually passed down the lines of family. Ye're normally born into it, or have it granted. I was born into nobility. And inheritted the title when my mother stepped down, retired, and moved here.

The mare pointed up to the Castle with a hoof. “Ye typically got a number of tiers in this sort of system. Ye got yer kings, queens, princess, princes, dukes. Those 're normally your top on the lines. Couple steps down the oh ladder, and ye got Count and countess, Viscount and Vidame, Baron and Dutchess, Baronet, Knight, Esquire, and gentlemen. Most of your noble ponies near the castle will be Gentlemen... or just wealthy.”

Stormstride took everything she said without interruption. He listened, though did continue to scan the area on occasion. He did have to smirk when she mentioned the wealthy living close to the castle. "Yes. I do remember passing through there. It was rather glamorous." setting his on flank down he smile.

"I have heard of the caribou. But no I have yet to meet one. I have heard they are large and powerful creatures though. With antlers that can bust even our best armor. Even with my magic I would not like to fight one."

His eyes moved to a shop for a moment. His gaze on a particular pony. Then he returned his gaze to her. "Am I to assume you don't live in that district since you said you were just here visiting ma'am?" He asked. He smiled lightly, enjoying the conversation at least.

The captain grinned at the stallions assumption. She had to actually catch herself from bursting out in laughter when she realized that he might not have been the sharpest blade in the weapons rack. But at least he was trying.

She had quickly snapped her head to the stallion. Her lips pulled back in a wide toothy condescending smile. Head tilted and eyes wide.

“YEEEES,” She snarked with a laugh, “Course I live here! How else could a Dutchess and Captain of Fet Loch tend to her duties?” Her tone was clearly sarcastic, but mirthful. She then shook her head and dropped her hooves back down to the stone pavement.

“No! No... ah live in Fet Loch. Should Ahye be sqautin here, then the travel would drive meh bonkers. And that's no good! Now how about you? I'd wager ye live in Canterlot. But where exactly? No doubt a buck like ye with a child is not goin to stay in the Barracks all day.”

Stormstride let out a soft chuckle. "One block down. The small brick home." He pointed. It was visible from their position. An unassuming little house. It looked that at one time it had a shop front. But was not being used. "Thats where we live."

One could see the memories in his eyes. A simpler time. Fonder memories of happy days spent in that home. Now lost. "Well. I guess its my turn then." He relaxed a bit more then spoke. "I was... young. My folks worked with the Pegasi in Cloudsdale. Well they were reasearchers on weather. Being it was the only school nearby, I had to go to school in Cloudsdale. Parents taught me and some other foals a spell to let us walk on clouds for a day. Magic teleport up there. Go to school. Teleport back down. One day I arrived to find two older pegasus colts picking on my friend. She couldn't fight back cuz she was a unicorn. She couldn't fly like that could. But I wasn't gonna let that stand."

He seemed ashamed and proud at the same time. "I knocked them out of the air. Clouds make for a soft landing. But neither of them could fly for a week after that. I got detention. But I earned my cutie mark that way. And sijce then I made it my point and purpose to protect these foals. Especially those that cant take up for themselves." He smiled at her. "Its not just being a father. Its being a friend to them. More times than not they won't tell guards there is a problem. The armor frightens them...speaking of armor." He turned and let her see the plating over his left flank. "What did they draw on me this time?" There were a few scribbles that resembled a rather lopsided flower garden.

Star Breezer could relate. Though she was probably less subtle about who she was on the inside. Through out her foal hood, she's been known to act more like a rampant colt, than what should typically be a composed filly. And she often found herself getting quite aggressive in contact sports. Though surprisingly no pony saw her as a bully. Not that she intended to be one. She was just a mare out for a good time, and still very much is.

The mare tilted her head back when he finished the story. Her eyes going down to the drawings before rising back up with a smirk. “Looks like the kiddies see ye as a statue needin some graffiti,” She laughed. She trotted around the stallion to get a better look at the foals handy work. Soon, she bursted into a mad cackle, nearly falling over after getting a good view of it. It did look ridiculous now. It wasn't the best art she had seen, but it took enough time for him to be able to feel it.

“Shoot, I don't know how ye miss a couple of kiddos scribblin on ye arse! But I'd admit, it's big enough to be a canvas. Perhaps ah should send ye on over to me boy's mare, ya? She'd enjoy putting somethin nice on it. But, proves ye do a good job as a gate keeper, no?”

By the time she managed to settle down, she was still giggling, a hoof covering her face as she chirped out her next sentence.

"Any ways. I could relate to ye younga days. Pft, I didn't become a captain because I aspired to be one. No-sir. I was a filly that wanted adventure. Went out of my way to find some trouble. Never picked on anybody, and definitely was no sheriff. But I put a few other colts in the dirt in a heart beat given a reason. Shoot, I joined the REA for adventure, and next I know Im down an eye and have been promoted to Captain. 'pparently that ain't uncommon."

The colt nodded softly. "It happens. Seen a few here and there that get wounded and get rank jumped." He was still smiling. "Honestly. Im content to stay as a basic guard. This was my dream. The pay is good. My foal is fed and happy. And if all I have to tolerate are the innocent pranks of the young ones, then I think its fine."

He stretched a little. "I'd this is all the marks my armor receives, then I will gladly accept them. I would rather wash crayons and glue from my gray hind end than lay in a bed missing limbs. Too many guards lose limb or life and cant handle it."

The stallion smiled. "I do get to send my down time with my daughter and her friends. I'm a volunteer teacher at this school. Weekend classes. Magicall studies for the unicorns. Free to all. Unlike that bloody magical academy in the upper end."

"Honey, I was a captain before I lost mah eye," The mare laughed. "Shoot, I don't remember how. Me troops keep trying to remind me how it happend. Somethin bout a fight, but shoot. Can't remember. Hurt so bad Ah was drunk nearly every day of the week after that."

She then listened to the rest of the stallion's background. A volunteer teacher? Mm... possibly an after school program or something of the sort. Wasn't unlikely as these things do happen. The real question was usually how many foals actually atteneded. And by the stallion's familiarity with the kids. She'd wager enough. But she offered a smile when the soldier scorned the school. He reminded her of her own son when he was a foal. Kid took pride to heart, and rather earned everything. Course... she and his father might of beaten that mentality into his mind. 

"The Academy fer the Gifted," The mare soon laughed. A bit too loudly. "Nah, it ain't like that hun. Got's an ole friend of mine whom taught there. Pretty little thing she was, fun stories for later though, they're unpleasant round the kiddies."

The mare cleared her throat for a moment, and looked down the road towards the diection of the Academy. "The school of the gifted is much like any private school. Ponies can pay their way in. But generally don't benefit much from it. They ain't there to learn. Not often anyways. There are a few cases that are exceptions. And then you got the one's who've earned their way into the school. Now I understand that the argument that you could teach that kind of stuff to all foals. But the truth of the matter is ye can't pull everypony up to the same level. Or ye just holdin every pony back. Ambition is what gets ye through life. And it's ambition that gets ye the neat spells." She then tapped her horn as she gave the stallion a wink.

"And trust me... the tricks they be pulling in that school are no Orisons, or Cantrips."

She pulled her hoof away from her horn and gestured in a new direction. Up the mountain a ways, but some distance away from the castle. "And then ye got the Spellbound Magic Guild. My friend and I have donated quite a large sum of funds to them. Their membership is free and open to all. Believe some funding came from Celestia herself as well. Course ye don't have to be a unicorn to join. My son's a member of their ranks. Earth pony whom combines a mix of magic and good ole earth engineering."

THe stallion was quiet while she spoke. But when she finished his tone went a little deeper. "I've been to the Academy for the Gifted. I didn't meet their standards. BUt that's find by me. Im not really gifted. Six months ago they rejected a young colt because he wasn't gifted enough for them. He's got more magic than Celestia herself." Shaking his head he sighed and looked up. "I dont believe everypony can be held to the same standard. But I believe that every pony should have the option. Not all unicorns are alike. Goodness knows. But All I can see when I look at that school, are the teachers. Every one of them is as much a socialite as I am a mare." 

Looking at the mountain he nodded, "And for the Magic Guild, that's good. Its not that I disdain the wealthy ma'am. It's that when I have no less than twelve foals in my district that can out shine even the best of them in that private school... Why can't this school get the extra funding for a couple more teachers. I do my best. I have some unique spells to teach these kids that almost no one else has. But... Teaching isn't my talent. I just hope they pay attention enough to learn some good manners and fope I am setting a good example." 

He pointed straight up. A clear and sunny day suddenly clouded over. The churning clouds rumbled softly. "DADDY!!!"  Stormstride chuckled, "Sorry sweety. Was demonstrating to the captain. You can keep playing." The filly looked mad, cute as a button though Making it near impossible to take her angry stamping seriously. Stormstride cleared the sky away. Bright and sunny again. "I can cover about a mile wide area. Makes my job a lot easier when it rains." He rubbed his horn. "Honestly, I just try to teach them control of their magic." There was something eating at him. Something changed. The subject had touched a soft spot. The stallion wouldn't look her in the face anymore. He was looking down the street.

Star Breezer soon frown as she looked to the Guard. She listened respectfully through and through. There was a good argument he was providing, but it lacked the wisdom that came with age and experience. It was what she’d typically call a wide eyed view. Where an ideal world is made, but there is no possible way to reach it and not experience any worse drawbacks than the current situation. And all around not being possible in general.

She could tell something was troubling him. Her eye looked over him calmly, observing every twitch of the muscle in his muzzle expression, before her gaze drifted down to the child that had been provoked on the account of the storm clouds. A smirk tore into her lips as she watched the interactions between the two.

She waited politely, giving the filly time to leave before she spoke again.

“Ye still not to privy about the world eh,? View's a bit exclusive there,” The mare hummed softly before rising up on her hooves. She slid her forehooves forward, and dipped he rear low. She held her breath while her muscles strained in the stretch. A couple of seconds later, she pulled back, raising her rear into the air and stretching the rest of her body like a cat. She probably gave some passing by standards a pleasant view, but if she took notice, she didn’t seem to mind.

“It’s not that the school doesn’t receive extra funding, the school has a much broader demographic ye not accounting for, son.” The Duchess hummed softly as she now dropped onto her side, calmly laying in the street without much of a care.

“The ‘cademy for the gifted does what it does because it has only –one- type of pony. Unicorns. That being said, it specializes in magic. The regular schools that are peppered around equestria are different however. Because not all ponies can do magic or fly, they give a scholarly education. Flyin, and magic is something that parents often teach, if not bring to a tutor.”

The mare then looked back to the Stallion with an even gaze. “Now… ye can be bitter all ye want bout the past. But till ye drop it, ye not goin to see what went wrong. So tell me ye definition of gifted.”

The stallion was amused. Most never humored him this far. "My definition of gifted? That's simple. Being nurtured. Having parents that understand your dreams or at least try too. That hope their children will exceed in all they try. And encourage their foals to be h appym thats gifted."

The colt smirked. "I understand that not all ponies can perform magic or fly. But what I meant was that the few that can be great but come from middle class and cant afford to attend the social events of the rich do not oft see the opportunities the wealth of equestria see. I believe that programs for all ponies should exist. All ponies should have an opportunity to weigh in on events that affect them. Policies that alter their lives. You cant tell me that at some point... someone higher rank than you made a call that cost you something."

He looked at the foals. "When the changelings hit, we were recalled to the palace. I stayed. I disobeyed orders. And because I did this school is safe. I am no hero. But three of the other guards have foals here. They left their kids in an unprotected Area. Yes. I got a medal. But I also got chewed out for the fact I stayed here rather than rush to save the palace."

He shook his head softly. "why am I bent out of shape? The foals in that fancy School have a whole regiment. They were kept safe. These kids.... they didn't get a second thought. Thats why I resent all the rich private schools. They get special treatment. I Have seen them. Some of them are great. Natural talent that is years ahead of their age. But not all of them. Most cant even do more than the basics. Thats my point. My girl isn't very talented. But a bunchh of these kids are. And they won't get the chance because their parents aren't rich."

His tone had softened when he began talking about the foals. his face softened too. He looked at them gently. As if they were all his kids.

The mare let out a hearty laugh. Well she found one reason towards his bitterness to say the last. Soon she shook her head with a grin, and gave the guard a look. "Is that what that is about then? Son, this is why ye still a guard and I'm a Captain." She soon rolled over, and pulled her hooves behind her head to look up to the clouds.

"Think of this now. All troops were recalled to the Princess's Castle. The largest threat was inside the castle. And three of the princesses were in danger. On top of all of that, there was also a threat made to the crown directly."

She held her grin when she looked up to the stallion. "It's typically a bad idea to go charigin into a castle when rot hits the fan. Ye got the mass of threats outside, and ye got a mass of threats inside a cramped area. So the majority of the forces for both sides are outside brawlin to keep reinforcements from rushing in". The Academy is located right next to the castle. Essentially what happens is you got an impromptu outpost made that protected a portion of the road. Most of the civilians were located around or near the tower for the wedding."

"The reason why not a single soldier was spared for the lower end areas, was not because it was poor. No, your CO's aren't pricks. It was because it was tactically stupid. Changelings don't normally kill. They invade, and make a nest. No hostages will be taken if the situation is remedied quickly."

She then sat up. "Trust me, I've gone through the same decision during the Caribou invasion. It was either storm the tower and save my son and a handful of nobles. Head to the Crystal Chambers, and help protect the heart. Or throw what makes me a pony out and fight off the larger and most prominent threat, which was the invasion force on the ground and protect the retreating civilians. And ponies were actually dying in that cluster buck. I chose to admit that my own son was not worth abandoning civilians, or fighting the main force. It was tactically sound. Those kind of deciisions is what a CO makes."

She laid her head back with a hum. Her smile was still apparent, but more thoughtful. She hated the decision she had made, but she had learned long ago how to sleep with it. Besides, everything worked out for the best. Her son was alive, and was one of the ponies who helped save the princess, as well as a handful of Noble ponies and civilians before the situation destabilized.

"With that in mind. Imagine what your superiors go through. They don't want you to just throw your child out. But they want you to trust their decision."

It was the stallion's turn to laugh. Stormstride laughed and stamped a hoof on the sidewalk under him. "Oh really? My dear captain. Oh I trust their decisions. And I have seen what my CO goes through. Two naps a day when there isn't a crisis. He's a decent fellow. He checks on us daily and makes sure we do our duties. But he has no level head in a crisis. I may be just a Private First-Class. But I do know when to disobey orders. I don't want promotion. The extra pay would be nice. But I am content in my post. Why do I want an office or a dozen ponies under my command? No that's not me. I'm not an officer. Twice I passed up promotion to keep my post. I have enough pay to afford the things my daughter needs. I have the skills I need to perform my job. But most importantly... I have something most of My CO's don't have. I have the respect of every pony in my district. Yes the main threat was in the palace courtyard and just around the palace walls. But there were changelings in the streets. Panic ensued. Maybe they didn't intend to kill us. But the group I fought seemed rather intent to get at the foals I was protecting in the back of the school. Several of their parents were wounded trying to just get here. A couple moved away after the incident. They didn't trust in the guards anymore. They didn't trust in me. And that hurt. Not just my pride in my uniform... but my pride in the fact it's my duty to keep these ponies here safe. They trusted me to protect their kids. And I did everything I could. Magic, hoof to hoof combat. I even bit a few when my spear broke. I got busted up good and my daughter was screaming for me to surrender. She didn't want to see her daddy get hurt. But I stayed here at my post ma'am. I stayed where I could do what I was born to do."

The stallion stood and looked around a bit. "Plaster and mortar can fix buildings. Magic can protect us from things like that happening again. But what can erase the memories? Foals don't forget so easily the things that terrify them. My daughter and her friends sometimes ask me when I am teaching them.... will the bad changelings come back? Will they hurt ponies again? The good ones that live here... I dont mind them. I know one or two but they keep to themselves. But what do you tell scared foals when they ask if the things that they are terrified of the most are going to come back and hurt them again? I asked my CO that same question and he simply said "do your job and dont ask questions."

Stormstride looked at her quietly for a moment. "I think we came from two very different backgrounds. You strike me as the kind of mare that came from a decent home. Not filthy rich, but well enough off to afford some nice things now and again. You worked for your rank. You earned it. And you earned the respect of your peers. You were a good mother to your son. And you made a choice you had to live with. You chose your duty over your son. You had too. Ponies were counting on you. More than just a few nobles. An entire city was counting on you." He looked back at the school. "I don't resent any pony. Or any creature. I just think that those with privileges should consider how their decisions and actions affect those that don't have the same. I'm a loyal soldier ma'am. I follow my orders, except for that one day. Yes, it nearly cost me my life. But when I think back on it, Three Allicorn princesses, and all the guards up there. Including captain Shining Armor himself. What difference would one more guard have made? No, I stayed here. And I kept the school safe. I did my first and most important duty. Not to the crown or the princesses. Not to Equestria... I did my sworn duty to her ponies. They trust us with their safety and lives. They trust us to uphold the law, and keep them safe from harm. If I had followed my orders that day.... I would have broken that trust and my most important oath. I swore, the day I became a guard, to never let any bully, no matter how big and mean they were, to harm any pony I am sworn to protect. The changelings that came here to do evil were all defeated. But why would they go after a small school full of foals in the first place? Because a Foal's love for their parents is a pure kind of love rarely found elsewhere. I wont see these kids used as food stock."

He had lost his smile, but his tone was quiet and soft again. "I may not always be there.... I can't protect them from every danger. But this.. This is why I became a guard. This is why I have my cutie mark and what my talent is. Protecting those that can't protect themselves." The bell in the school chimed the end of recess. And another guard came walking up. Stromstride gave a quick salute to his replacement. "My shift is over. care to come into the school and see the other half of my duties ma'am? It's the time of day where I teach the unicorn foals how to perform basic magic and control their power. Might be nice to have an extra set of hooves for today's lesson."

The mare inhaled sharply through her teeth, though she was grinning. Turning her reaction in a symbol that the other had guessed wrong about her background. “OH! You were very close my friend! But ye dropped to many words that knocked ye off track there buddy!” The mare cackled out loud. Her hooves pulling to her stomach as she rolled about.

“No no! Ye don't see it cuz I'm not the most proper little filly to come out of the womb! No, family's very wealthy! Own a decent portion of Fet Loch, and have some political power,” The mare giggled out. She soon rolled back up to a sitting position, though awkwardly as she had to compensate for the lack of flexibility given to her by the armor.

“Family's relatively old. But... ah.. history goes fuzzy a couple of generations back. Not sure what happened. But, we have a handful of traditions we follow. Our motto is Journey before Destination, which was the foundation for the way we ran. We're not as flamboyant with our money like... ah... other richies. We tent to a laissez-faire style of parenting. We take care of our foals, but we don't keep a leash on them. Life is the journey. Destination is death. We let them live, scruff their knees, earn their keeps, and learn from mistakes. We rarely chastise. It's not needed. And we parents only intervine when it's critical, but we keep some degree of supervision. Which lead to an expanding family line of scholars and generals. The second part, is that no matter our wealth, we raise our foals in an austere circumstance. Gives them a since of accomplishment when they earn what they want. A bit of pride, and value behind something that many others would find meaningless.”

The mare continued laughing, now covering her mouth with a hoof. “Oh, and trust me. It's not sound proof. Me son got in some bad shapes as many times as I did when I was a foal. He tried flight, succeeded halfway, but wasn't discouraged when he ended up in the hospital. He tried working with electricity, and set his room on fire. And he tried to grasp natural sciences in the darnest of ways. Bit of an embarrassing thing to watch, but in the end. He kept trying and succeed quite well. See's failure as improvement. Plus an added bonus of awareness and wisdom most foals don't have.”

The mare stretched once more... and flared her horn. A second later, her armor vanished in a puff of smoke. “And lastly, the parenting doesn't end till the destination is reached. There's quite a large amount of independence your child experiences. And it hurts to not make yourself part of his life fully. But it prepares em for the worst to come.”

Then came the offer for her to help assist in the lessons. She thought for a moment, then grimaced at her own earlier attempts at teaching. Way to military-esque... and foals ended up crying. “I'll... just watch.”

The colt nodded and moved to the school. The teachers waved as he came. Several unicorn foals came running to him. As they all sat around, the colt set his helmet and spear down. "Hello everypony." He said. A resounding "hello sir" came the reply.

"Today we will be studying magic for the purpose of moving objects. we also have a special guest. This is Captain Star Breezer. I want all of you to be polite in her presence." The colt took off his armor, and set it gently in the grass. "Now who knows what telekinesis is?" "Its moving big stuff with your magic!!"

"Thats right. But it can also be used to manipulate small things. Did anyone bring a yoyo?" Several hooves went up. "good! Alright set them out in front of you. A few of you didn't make it so lets try and share please." As the foals laid out their yoyo toys the colt continued. "Lets try this. Focus on the yoyo. Imagine it floating. Alright. Everypony got that? Now concentrate on your magic. And pick up the yoyo."

Many tried and got it up. Some did not. "Alright. Relax. that was a great effort! Lets wait a moment and try again." It took a few more tries but soon every foal was able to life the yoyos easily. "Good. Now the tricky part. It took me a long time to master this." lifting one yoyo in his magic the colt began making it work. "Now as you can see class, this is a relatively simple up and down. I know it seems impossible to you now, but try this. Imagine the yoyo going up and down on the string like you do it when you play normally. Captain, would you like to try?"

The mare for the most part sat quietly as he watched the stallion go on with his lesson. When she was introduced, she only offered a small nod, choosing silence rather than an accidental outburst of Drill Sergeant rage.

So instead, she continued to watch. Her eyes followed the many foals who appeared to be struggling with lifting the yoyo. And then with a bit of effort later, many had the yoyo's up in the air. A smirk appeared from the captain's lips when every foal finally had them up. Well, she can admit that it helps to have a volunteer after all.

But then she let out a soft hum when she heard the Stallion refer to herself. She raised a brow and then glanced down to the Yo-yo. Well... she might as well go ahead and give it a shot. Being the observer can be fun only for so long.

Her horn lit, and soon the yoyo was up in the air with minimum effort. The yoyo bounced on it's string, reeling up and down as the mare gave it a playful jog.

“Hm... still got it, ya? Hadn't played with one of these since me foalhood in fet.”

((Sorry for the slow response. Got stupidly busy.))

"Indeed." Stormstride said softly. "See class. With some practice this becomes easy. And you will keep using this your whole life. What if you have a heavy load you are carrying, or are too tired to open your door? This kind of practice will allow you to make good use of your magic to do tasks like open a door oruse silverware. Other uses include helping other ponies. What if you saw an Earth pony with a broken leg?"

One foal waved his hoof. "Yes?" Stormstride asked. "We could levitate him to a doctor!" Stromstride smiled. "Yes! Thats exactly the right answer." Another kid spoke. "Cant we just fix his leg with magic?" The stallion shook his head. "No. Magic like that should only be used by doctor ponies. It takes a lot of time to study spells like that. You are all gifted students. And all of you will be great unicorns one day. But please, do not use your magic like that unless you have the training. Somepony could get seriously hurt."

The foal that asked then spoke. "But what about the time the bad bug ponies came? You got hurt bad.... we could have helped you be better." Stormstride fell silent a moment. It was a valid point. But a dangerous one. He sat snd spoke softly. "I know you could have. But magic cant fix everything. think of magic like a tool. A tool has a purpose. A time and place for use. My own magic helps me teach and protect you all. I can help the pegasi in the city with the weather too. But just because its raining while i am going to stand here doesnt mean i should use my magic to make a hole in the clouds to keep myself dry. Thats not the purpose of magic."

The foals were quiet. Many seemed upset. The stallion smiled at them. "You dont understand why i wont let you try such advanced magic? I think a demonstration is in order then.... alright. Who here thinks they can pick me up with their magic?" A few hooves went up. Stromstride nodded. "Alright. Form a line please. Captain. You may want to step back for this one."

The mare's expression was replaced with a nervous one when her gaze quickly snapped to the foal whom suggested using magic to do a bit of medical fixing. She was about to interject against the idea, but the stallion had already beaten her to it.

So she relaxed, and watched as the class continued on.

“Oh no, I think I'm fine right here,” The mare chuckled with a smirk. Giving the stallion a knowing wink. “I'd like a closer look at how this will play out."

Stormstride nodded softly. "Very well." He turned back to the foals. He had a grin on his face. "Alright. Who is first? Ah. You are? Good. Alright, let me see what you can do." The foal tried his best. Almost straining. He managed to get one of Stormstride's legs off the ground. But it seemed the stallion was too heavy. It was almost half an hour later. None of them had lifted him.

Stormstride stood quietly as he Looked them over. He didn't seem disappointed in the least. "Do you know why none of you could lift me?" They all looked upset and a few ready to cry. "It's because you want to do it alone. No pony, no matter how powerful, can ever stand alone. This time, why dont you try working together. Everyone lift one spot on me. get in a circle around me and try it that way. What you are looking at, lift that." As the foals groaned and whined about more work, Stormstride snickered. "Well I guess no one wants some lemonade after school then." The entire class rushed to form a circle around him. It took a bit of positioning, but soon the group was all quiet. As they began to concentrate, their small horns glowing, a technicolor layer of magic formed under the stallion.

It took a moment, but he began to lift into the air. His body hovering slightly as he floated. He chuckled. "Good job everypooonnnyyyyyyy!" Something went wrong. Several foals let go when he began speaking and he dropped face first on the ground. He hit with a soft thud, his flank sticking up in the air, still held up by magic. As the rest let go suddenly, his posterior hit the ground. The foals all panicked and started calling for help. Another teacher came running. Stormstride stood slowly. "Well, that was fun." He chuckled as he wiped a bit of dirt and grass from his face. The other teacher came over. "You alright there Stormy?" The motteled gray stallion laughed a little. "Just a bump on the nose. I'm fine." The other teacher glanced him over. Coming to his hind end he chuckled himself. "I see the Art class used you for a canvas again.." Stormstride nodded, "If that's the only marks I have to tend to on myself and my armor, I'll gladly let them."

The other teacher wandered back to what he had been doing. Stormstride turned to his pupils. "Not bad at all. I dare say you lot could all be stronger than me soon. The stallion smiled at them, reassuring them they were not in trouble. "now then, I think that should be it for our lesson. So for the rest of the time, I want you all to take turns practicing with your yoyos. If you don't have one at home, come see me after class. I'll see to it that you get one." The stallion walked over and sat beside Star Breezer. "Not the first time I have been dropped on my nose. Though it is the first time it was accidental." He grinned as he watched them practicing. He smiled as he shook his head. "So.... bit for your thoughts?" he asked quietly.

Archived