Return to Stalliongrad [Closed: DerpRavener and RedCedar]

RedCedar

Though very happy about the development, Naj wasn't entirely sure how to express it.  It felt simultaneously like something natural, and something she could never repay.  She'd settled for merely returning the hug, and muttering a quick “thanks”.

Her other question did take Red Cedar by surprise though, if the look on his face was any indication.  He hadn't been expecting the question, apparently he hadn't seen that exchange the same way Naj had.  She looked over at him.  “You're worried about me,” she said.  It was a statement of fact.  She explained “I could see it on your face.  I was thinking maybe it could give you some peace of mind, seeing firsthoof the sorts of things I do.”  She gave him a playful smile.  “Or maybe you could have a chance to rescue me yourself.”  She doubted that would be the deciding factor, but one never knew.  If Red was feeling protective, maybe he'd appreciate the offer.

Naj scratched her chin.  “Of course, we'll probably need to find a professional teacher at some point.  I could teach you a few things, but I'm more of a 'practical use' mare than an instructor.”  She shrugged.  “I could probably stand to learn a few things myself.”  She looked back at Red.  “Of course I'm not going to make you or anything, if you don't want to.  So, thoughts?”

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red took a bit of a sigh as he realized he'd been found out, and there was no way out of it. For a changeling who was still getting used to living openly among ponies, she certainly knew him very well. Since there was now no denying it, he set his mug of tea on the table, shifted around on the couch to face her, and took one of her perforated hooves between both of his forehooves before looking to her eyes.

"Naj, you are a very good soldier," he began. "I saw it first hoof in the Crystal Empire. It's not just what you do, it's what you're meant to do. I have no doubt that if you had a cutie mark of your own, it would be a helmet and shield. If you're doing something to help protect Equestria, especially after you were hiding and afraid in it for so long, I think that is wonderful, and I am very, very proud of you." He took another breath before continuing with the inevitable qualifier. "Sometimes, though, even the best soldiers are on the losing side of a battle. I know you are going to do your very best and I am not going to try and stop you from going, but a little part of me is always going to be afraid that somepony is going to knock on my door to tell me that you're not coming home."

As though realizing how morbid he was sounding, Red rubbed her hoof between his and tried to put a smile back on his face. "You know what, sure. You could teach me a little while you're here. Maybe knowing some of that will put my mind at ease. You can start by showing me some basics, as long as they don't require wings." he said, making note of the fact that he was ground-bound.

Naj swallowed involuntary as she listened to Red explain his perspective on the matter.  It was a lot...heavier than she had been prepared for.  “It's something to think about,” she said, initially mumbling though her words quickly got a bit more confident.  “Can't say I've every really thought about it like that before.”  She was thankful for his hoof on hers, whether or not it was a conscious action on his part, as she sorted out her thoughts.  She internally debated how much she should really be talking about this, before ultimately deciding that she didn't really want to keep it from him.  If there was anypony she should, or really could talk to about this, Red Cedar was the one.  “I guess...this is the first time I've really run into that sort of thing.  Not that I wasn't worth anything back in the hive, they took care of me, and I filled an important role in my own way.  But risk was always part of the equation.  If something happened to me, well it would be better if it hadn't and that sucks, but my sacrifice would still help a greater cause.  Now...well that's not entirely wrong, but I guess that's not all there is to it.”  She fell silent for a moment before adding, “This is going to take some getting used to.”

Naj forced herself to perk up a little.  “Well, it shouldn't be an issue right away, at least.  The group I'm working with is more investigation-focused, so we wouldn't be charging straight at danger, and I'm more of a supporting member anyways.”  It probably wouldn't be enough, she doubted that there was anything that would really be 'enough', but it she hoped it would limit any immediate worry.

She was starting to have second thoughts about the whole idea, having failed spectacularly and what she'd hoped for from it, but Red apparently wasn't.  Even if he wasn't super enthusiastic, he indicated at least a willingness to try.  And on reflection, Naj had to agree.  It was still a way for them to share something.  And she could always use a sparring partner, if he was up for it.  She nodded, and smiled.  “Yeah, I think we can manage that.  Even though we have them,” she said, referring to changelings and wings respectively, “you can't always rely on being able to use them.  Most of what I know can be done without.”

Whether through upbringing or just being new to the situation, Naj was still evidently getting used to the idea that sometimes, ponies put just one other pony above the importance of all of Equestria. Still, as she explained a little of what she was doing, if not every detail, he rubbed her hoof softly again. "Actually, knowing that does make me feel better." he assured her. The risk might still have been there, but if that weren't the whole focus of what she did, he could live a little easier with that.

Looking more relaxed now, he smiled as Naj agreed to teach him some of what she knew. "Just go easy on me to start. I have absolutely no idea what I'd be doing." he said, releasing her hoof and going back to sipping his tea.

"Actually, knowing that does make me feel better."

Naj was relieved.  Granted she was also a little confused, as it had felt like a weak qualification to her, but she wasn't complaining.  To be honest, she felt the Equestrian military as a whole was probably safer than what she was used to, what with a focus on peacekeeping over combat supremacy, but that was a discussion for another time.  She'd had enough of a surprise for the moment, she didn't feel the need to risk a debate, even if part of her thought it could be an interesting discussion.

"Just go easy on me to start. I have absolutely no idea what I'd be doing."

Naj was amused by the mental image of Red trying some of the more complicated techniques.  “Heh.  No, don't worry.  I wouldn't do that, especially not to you.”  She shook her head.  “There's a number of basics to get through first, which are probably more important in the long run anyways.  But for today,” she paused for a second, to pick up her mug and take a sip, “I'd rather just have tea and chat.  I'll need to think about a few things.”

"But for today, I'd rather just have tea and chat.  I'll need to think about a few things.”

Red certainly didn't look like he was going to argue with that, mug in hoof and all. It had been a long time since he'd had the chance to have tea and a chat with Naj, and he was quite happy to do so again. "I can offer you plenty of both," he said with a smile. After another sip, he looked up and added, "I don't know when or if you'll be in the mood for some actual food, but if you are, I took the liberty of getting the ingredients for stuffed mushrooms again."

Naj smiled at the thought of stuffed mushrooms, and nodded.  “That's not a bad idea.”  Both of them knew it wouldn't be an immediate concern, but the thought was nice.  It was the first recipe Naj had made at least, and while it felt a bit odd to be so sentimental about it she did have a certain, persistent fondness for the dish.  Either Red had planned ahead, or he'd started keeping those particular ingredients on hoof.  “I'd like that.  We could make that this evening, unless you've got something else in mind.”  Though she'd sampled a few things in between, she hadn't had anything quite like it for some time now.

There was a quiet moment that followed shortly after, Naj let her mind wander.  She was enjoying just being here, no pressure, good company, and she felt she could be herself in a way she normally couldn't with ponies.  On a whim, she looked over at Red and asked, “Say, do you have any family that live around here?”

Red smiled at Naj's suggestion. "I didn't have my heart set on anything else for dinner, so, stuffed mushrooms tonight it is." he said. He found himself already looking forward to preparing it with her that evening.

“Say, do you have any family that live around here?”

Red finished another sip of tea and nodded to her. "Mm-hmm, I have a picture of them right there," he said, pointing with a hoof to a frame on the wall depicting a somewhat younger looking Red standing with three other earth ponies. "My parents and my sister all live here, still." he said. After a moment's pause, as though he were expecting her next question, he added, "I haven't told them everything about you yet. They know I'm seeing a filly from Ponyville named 'Spring Breeze', but that's it. I haven't mentioned anything about the real you to them."

Red pointed out a photo he had nearby of his immediate family, and explained that they also lived in the area.  Naj vaguely thought this had come up before, though if it had she had forgotten the specifics.  The family looked happy, and while Naj supposed everypony would look happy in a photo it sounded like there were not outstanding problems, at least.

Red went on to correctly guess where Naj was going with this line of thinking.  “Read my mind,” Naj said half to herself, before responding fully.  Red also explained how he'd sidestepped the issue of just who he was spending time with at the moment.  “Well it's not entirely wrong, or at least I'd say you weren't lying to them.”  While 'Spring Breeze' was an invention of Naj's, it was one she was somewhat close to, and she'd made a point to construct it closer to the truth, for ease of use at the time.  So, most of what could be said about 'Spring Breeze' applied just as much to Naj.  “Anyways, It was probably for the best,” she continued, “but now that things have changed I'd like to meet them at some point.  Not to mention I feel like I should sooner or later, seeing as we'll more officially living together.”  

Red nodded as Naj explained her reasoning for wanting to meet his family. She was probably genuinely curious, in addition to thinking it would be a good idea to do so. Certainly, he had wanted that, too, but now that she had some legal status to back her up, there was no point keeping anything from his parents any longer. "That's what I was thinking." he said. "I mean, it's not like I ever wanted to hide you, and now, I don't have to," he continued, then took a deep breath. "Although, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little nervous about how this is going to go, but they should know the truth." he added quietly.

Red seemed to think it was a good idea overall, though he admitted to a bit of nervousness about Naj's introduction.  Naj nodded in agreement.  “Yeah, that's something that's been on my mind a bit too.  It's always a bit nerve wracking to meet ponies, at least as myself.”  Even though she'd gain official endorsement, from a princess no less, that was no guarantee that ponies would react well.  She doubted she'd ever be fully comfortable with the concept.

“That said,” she went on, coming to another realization, “they raised you, and look at the two us now.  So, it can't go too badly, right?”  Truth be told she only half believed it herself, there was a lot that could get in the way of it.  Even if they were naturally understanding, that didn't mean they would be readily accepting or forgiving of a changeling.  And one who participated in the Canterlot invasion, no less.

It was still a positive sign though.  If they had any faith in Red, and Naj had no reason to think they didn't, they were sure to at least give her a chance.  She felt hopeful about the idea, if still a little anxious.  “So,” she said, fidgeting a little, “any idea when we might be able to meet?”

Red nodded, only half-heartedly himself. "That's what I'm hoping for, that they see the good in all this." Truth was he was very much hoping that having shown a little compassion to another intelligent being in need, regardless of what that being was, would be enough to win them over to the fact that he was bringing a changeling home to meet the family.

"Well, if I send a message with the evening post, I imagine we'd score an invitation to dinner for as early as tomorrow evening," he said, "If I know my Mum, she'll take any chance to have me over, and more so when I say I'm finally bringing you, too. I won't try to feed you any real food tomorrow - you'll need to be ready." he added with a smirk. He took a deep breath and a sip of tea, mulling over the possibilities in his mind. After considering it a moment, while he didn't think it needed to be said, he decided to anyway. Leaning over to give Naj one more snug with his hoof, he said softly, "No matter how well it goes, I'm keeping you around, all right?"

Red might be able to organize a get together with his family as early as tomorrow night.

“I'd like that,” Naj almost instantly replied.  Red's family might be understanding, in which case she really did want to meet them.  Alternately they might not be able to accept a changeling, in which case Naj would like to get the first meeting out of the way as soon as possible.  “Either way,” she vocalized her next thought, “it's better to go through with it than to sit around waiting.”  She nodded, partially to herself.  “So, tomorrow.  Hopefully.”

She returned Red's partial hug by pulling him into a full one.  “Thanks”, Naj almost whispered.  “But, just as long as you don't hurt yourself in the process.  We can figure something out.”  Another thing she'd probably never stop doing was feeling protective of Red, and as long as she wasn't overbearing she never really wanted to stop.

Naj released him after a moment, and turned back to her tea, taking another sip.

[i'm running out of things for the current day, do you want to do a time-skip soon?]

Red smiled at Naj's eager agreement to his suggestion. Well, at least she was willing to work this out. Now, the question was, would his family. He could certainly understand her desire to do so as soon as possible, much as she had wanted to be able to present her case to the Royal Court.

He couldn't help but smile as she pulled him into another hug. He was probably the only pony in Equestria who would feel comforted in a changeling's hooves, but that was exactly what he felt, especially by her genuine concern for his well being. "We'll be all right, you'll see." he said, before going back to his tea.

[sure. We could skip to the next day, say they got the invitation and were on their way?]

-The next day-

The pair were on the move, and Naj was working to keep her emotions in check.  Not that it was too difficult as it was anxiety and excitement that were competing for space in her head, and the two could balance each other out.  She couldn't decide between skipping and dragging her hooves, which fortunately resulted in the happy medium of a normal walking pace.

True to what he said, Red Cedar's parent's had responded to their letter within the previous day, and the two of them had been invited over only a day after.  Hence Naj's mixed emotions.  She liked the idea of meeting Red's family, but more than that she was excited by the prospect of more ponies she could 'be herself' around.  Of course, that was no guarantee, which in turn was the cause of the mild anxiety.

Their destination was close enough that between the two of them they could walk there pretty easily, which they were now doing.  Naj had spent most of the walk in a contemplative silence, various possibilities and options running through her head.

Red glanced over to Naj as they trotted towards his parents' home. She had been quite quiet for most of the walk, and while she didn't seem overly anxious, he knew that a long period of silence from her usually meant something was on her mind. It didn't take much for him to guess just what that was, either. Meeting your special somepony's family for the first time was nerve-wracking enough when you were all the same species.

Red smiled to her, hoping it would be reassuring. "Don't worry. I'll be right there and they like me, so, that should go a long way to smoothing everything over." he said. "I mean, all Mum could ever do to me was send me to my room. Can't throw us in a dungeon, now, can they?" he added with a smirk. Okay, even he had to admit it was a lame attempt at humour, but even so, this could hardly be as stress-inducing and risky as walking in front of Princess Celestia. Still, Red himself had been having moments of worry about presenting Naj to his family for the first time.

Soon, though, Red pointed with his hoof down the street they were on to a house similar to Red's own, but somewhat larger. In the front yard stood an oak tree, still young, but strong and straight and well over the head of most ponies. "There it is," he told her.

"Don't worry. I'll be right there and they like me, so, that should go a long way to smoothing everything over.  I mean, all Mum could ever do to me was send me to my room. Can't throw us in a dungeon, now, can they?"

“I'm not worried!”  Naj protested, wanting to maintain an image of calm when it wasn't entirely false.  Red didn't even have to respond to that one before she gave in a moment later.  “Okay, maybe I'm a little worried,” she admitted.  “But, well you said it yourself: they can't throw me in a dungeon.  They could call the guard I guess, but even the guard couldn't do anything legally.”

She retreated back into her thoughts for a moment, before explaining herself.  “I've never met 'in-laws' before.  Or potential in-laws.  I didn't even know the meaning of the term until some number of months ago.”  She grimaced, remembering the time she'd remembered and worked up the courage to ask about it.  “That was an awkward conversation, let me tell you.”  She shook her head, forcing herself back on track.  “Point is, this is a new thing for me.  And as a new thing it's going to be kinda exciting, but also a little scary.”  There was another pause as she realized she'd somewhat lost the thread of what she herself was saying.  Maybe she'd been trying to be comforting, in an odd way.

They'd arrived at the door to the house as they spoke.  Naj took a moment to look at the building, noting that it still managed to look cozy despite it being a good-sized structure.  This was Red's family, she decided to let him take the lead.  It was his family after all, and what's more it would probably make Naj's 'revelation' easier to manage.  She stopped before the door.

Bringing her mind back to the conversation, she looked at Red and asked, “How do most ponies feel about it?  Meeting in-laws, I mean.”  She had a sneaking suspicion that theirs wasn't too different from hers, after the species differences.

“How do most ponies feel about it?  Meeting in-laws, I mean.” Naj asked him when they arrived at the door.

Red smiled, looking to her eyes. "Pretty nervous," he said. In that regard, at least, he could assure her that she wasn't any different from any other pony. A second later, he knocked on the front door.

Very shortly, the front door swung open to reveal a middle-aged Earth Pony mare, her coat a very pale brown, who immediately broke into a very wide smile. "Red! Oh, I'm so glad you could come!" she said, giving Red a hug before quickly turning to face Naj. "And you must be Spring Breeze! It's so good to finally meet you!" she said, giving Naj an equally enthusiastic hug as she did. After a moment, she let Naj go. "Well, come in, come in. Everyone else is in the living room. Dinner will be about half an hour yet." With that, she turned and trotted into the house, revealing a stethoscope for a cutie mark.

Red followed into the house, decorated in much the same way as his own but without quite so much wood used in the furniture and anything else not nailed down. Coming into the living room, he smiled at the sight of the two other ponies there. "Hi, Dad. Hi, Powder." he said cheerfully.

Red took a deep breath, unsure how much he should say right away, but decided to at least make introductions for Naj's sake. "These are my parents," he said to Naj, "Night Singer," he said indicating the mare who had answered the door, "and Anchor Aweigh," he added, pointing to the only other stallion in the room, his coat a deep ocean blue and his cutie mark showing a ship's anchor encircled by a heavy rope. Finally, Red pointed out a mare about his age, almost a mirror image of Naj's current form, with a coat of pure white, a mane and tail of sky blue, and a pair of crossed skis on her flank. "And this is my sister, Powder Snow." With that, Powder Snow also came up to give Naj a welcoming hug.

Hah, she knew it.  Naj's reaction was itself pretty normal in the grand scheme of things.  The species barrier complicated things a little, but maybe not as much as one might think.  It was something of a nice change, to have the typical approach on things.

Naj didn't have time to muse on that long however, as Red's knock on the door was quickly answered.  They were met by a middle aged earth pony, who after greeting her son said hello to Naj and gave her a hug as well, which the 'pegasus' returned albeit a little hesitantly.  “...It's very nice to meet you, too.”  Of course, the mare had used her disguised name, and although Naj shouldn't really be surprised by that it came as a reminder of what she wanted to do.  “Though...it's a bit of a long story, but call me Naj.”

Stepping inside the house, following behind Red's mother, they arrived at a room that to Naj looked ordinary, but otherwise very comfortable.  Along with learning the mare's name was Night Singer (which seemed odd given her cutie mark, but what did Naj know), she was intruduced to Anchor Aweigh, Red's sisten Powder Snow, the latter of which offered her a hug as well.  It seemed a bit odd, receiving affection so readily from ponies she'd never met before, although Naj supposed the circumstances were a little different from usual as well.  When the hug finally broke up, Naj gave the ponies in the room a respectful nod, and a broad smile.  “It's a pleasure to meet all of you.”

Then she pulled Red aside, and though not quite whispering, she kept her voice low.  She wasn't overly concerned if she was overheard at this stage, but it was still a matter that might have to be approached delicately.  “So...should I tell them now, or is there a better time?”

Night Singer smiled, though she looked a little puzzled. "Oh. All right, Naj." she said. "That's an interesting name."

As Red introduced everyone, Naj asked him quietly, “So...should I tell them now, or is there a better time?” It was not, however, quiet enough to go unnoticed by Powder. "Tell us what?" she asked, then gasped. "You're engaged! That's wonderful! Do you need a bridesmaid?" she said quickly to Naj.

Red blinked, looking astonished. "What? No... we're not. At least, not formally." he said, trying to get the conversation back under control.

Night Singer looked on in concern. "You're not expecting, are you, dear?" she asked, mostly directed at Naj.

Red almost looked in shock. "No, Mum, she's not!" he answered.

"Then what is it?" asked Anchor Away with authority in his voice.

There was no going back now and Red knew it. Before he had to field any more awkward questions, Red took a deep breath to try and steady himself. "Everyone, there's something we both need to show you. It might seem strange, or maybe even a little frightening, but I want you to know, no harm is being done, and we are both happy." He paused a moment, letting that sink in even as he weathered the perplexed stares of his family, then looked back again. "All right, Naj. Now."

Naj was caught completely off guard by Powder Snow's sudden reaction.  “M-maybe?  Probably?”  She was still unclear about how this whole 'wedding' thing should go, and in the absence of either a real answer or time to think she just started say what sounded right.

Red was similarly surprised, even if he seemed to have a better handle of the idea.  Naj looked at him apologetically.  Back in the hive, changelings tended not to poke their nose into things, she'd forgotten just how inquisitive ponies could be.  She might have just made the question a little irrelevant.  She shot Red an apologetic look.  “Ah ha, oops?”

Of course it had still been better than the next guess.  Night Singer wondered, with some concern, if Naj had gotten pregnant.  Naj couldn't even respond, unintentionally staring and needing a moment to consider that one.  Was that even possible?  Could a changeling and an earth pony...have children?  If not, was there a long trail of childless couples where infiltrators had been?  If so, what would the children be?

She didn't have time to ponder it any longer however.  Anchor Aweigh demanded an explanation, and after all of that they should probably give one.  She heard Red take a breath, and then give a proper preparation for what was about to be shown.  Naj opened her mouth to add something, but she couldn't think of much, and realized she was potentially about to lose all credibility.  “What he said,” was all she managed.

Naj took one last look at Red, before taking a breath herself.  Then, there was a flash of green fire, and Naj was standing in her natural form.  Feeling the need to say something, to make some audible sign that she was non-threatening if nothing else.  “So yes.  I'm Naj, though until recently I've generally gone by Spring Breeze, and it's a pleasure to finally meet all of you.”  She knew she was repeating herself, but it was the best she could think of for the situation.

As the sudden burst of green fire signaled the dropping of Naj's disguise, Red looked to his family for some sign that this was going to go even remotely well.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much. Night Singer took in a sudden, audible gasp. Powder Snow actually gave a short, sharp, shrill shriek before jumping backwards towards Anchor Away, who just stood there, glaring. Following those few sounds of shock, the room grew far too deathly quiet for Red's liking.

Powder recovered long enough to ask, "Wh-what is that?"

Red could only sigh in disappointment. "That is Naj, and she is a changeling." he replied.

Powder's eyes only seemed to widen more at that response. Looking Naj over again, Powder grew a little more bold. "What are you doing with my brother?" she demanded.

Naj would have hoped they had more faith in their own flesh and blood.  She herself knew Red would never have brought her here if he had thought Naj was dangerous.  Though she had to concede that changelings had a reputation for manipulation, certainly they would have noticed if something was off about Red?

No matter.  This was wasn't an entirely unexpected outcome, even if it wasn't such a great one.  Almost immediately Naj fell back on her soldier's instincts.  Possible exits were the windows and doors, of which the door was preferable for offering less resistant, would result in less property damage, and perhaps most importantly it was in the opposite direction of the potential enemies.  Naj would probably have the edge in combat due to experience if it came to that, though she'd be a little limited by not wanting to hurt them if at all possible.  She became very still, as she tensed up in anticipation of whatever would come next.

And then she forced herself to calm down, and visibly relaxed, or at least visibly to those who had been paying close attention.  That was not the way to integrate, if she wanted to gain anypony's trust she'd have to have a little herself, and that meant accepting some vulnerability.  Even if she could fight her way out of this situation, it wouldn't help her in the long run.  Though she still held her ground.  Retreating now likely wouldn't help either.

"What are you doing with my brother?"

Though that didn't mean she had to be happy about it.  “Sleeping in his guest room, more than anything else,” she replied coolly.  “since there's not a whole lot I need.  And maybe exploring the city a bit.  Red's been showing me around.”  She made a point not to mention that she was feeding off of Red just yet, as even if it was technically true ponies generally thought of changelings feeding would likely bring to mind certain images, and now would be a bad time to try and explain the different types.

Naj waited to see what the response was, to her words but even more to her non-threatening actions.  This was shaping up to be a complicated conversation, and at this point she was still playing things by ear.

Red could just see how Naj had tensed up, then tried to make herself more relaxed. He'd seen that before, more than once. He moved a little closer to put a hoof around her shoulders, trying to make her feel better.

Powder Snow, however, didn't seem too convinced by Naj's casual answer or Red's reaction to the changeling. "But you're sucking the life out of him, aren't you?" she added accusingly, clearly not entirely sure what it was that changelings did, only that she was sure she didn't like one in close proximity to her little brother.

Night Singer looked nervously over to her husband, who still hadn't moved from his stoic stance in the middle of the room. Then, just when the air felt like it couldn't get any thicker with tension, Anchor Aweigh lowered his head slightly, first snickering to himself, then erupting in a hearty laugh.

Naj took another breath.  Powder Snow was starting to get on her nerves, and while ordinarily statements like that would be easy enough to ignore or brush aside, in a tense situation like this it was much harder to let go.  Not only was Naj worried how it might affect the others in the room, but she herself was already on edge.

Though her response was measured, she couldn't completely hold herself back.  “You've got working eyes,” she hissed, “you tell me.”  She'd never seen a pony who could handle being truly drained, at best becoming tired and listless.  Much as she hated to admit it, she'd seen the difference herself.  So the idea the idea the she was draining Red and somehow nopony was noticing was, well, silly.

Fortunately, she was saved from both the 'interrogation' and from her own emotions.  Red's father suddenly burst out laughing, and Naj had spent enough time around ponies to know that was a good sign more often than not.  She wasn't sure exactly what it meant in this case, having just met Red's family, but she was hopeful.  She brightened up a little, smiling slightly if a bit uncertainly, and looked to Anchor Aweigh to see just what his thoughts were.

Archived