Equality tropes in MLP season 5 episode 1+2 & Legend of korra book 1

CandyStar

So i want to bring to light a trope in two different shows, MLP season 5 episode 1+2 & Legend of korra book 1. before i begin, i wasn't sure where to put this, because the descriptions are vague to me, but if a mod sees this, please move it to the appropriate area.

Okay lets begin:

If you watched the season 5 episodes 1+2, Starlight wanted to create Equality among all ponies in equestria, by removing their cutie marks and replacing them with equality marks. This took away their talents and left them unhappy, but with forced smiles. But twilight and her friends enter and get theirs taken away, unable to use their talents.

In Legend Of Korra, book 1, we meet amon, a water bender who wants to do the same as starlight, remove bending from the world, where everyone is equal and can't bend. So he does take away korra and her friends bending but korra still ha her air bending, his defeat comes at the hands of korra herself, ending his plans.

So what these two had in common was a trope where they wanted to create equality but in the wrong mindset. Do you think these two were similar in plot?

Archived