(Ponyville) A Trip to Town (Open)

Lux

silverglade_by_kitsune85-d927cj0.png

It was morning in Ponyville, and many of the townsfolk were going about their daily routine. At the edge of town though a lone figure simply watched the ponies with a stoic expression. He was a Peryton, a creature resembling a winged deer, and due to his appearance no doubt few have seen a creature like him in town. Silverglade didn't want to venture into town, preferring to keep to the Velvet Strand in the Nimbusgait Lakes, but a shortage of supplies that he could not get from nature forced his hoof. It wasn't that he had a problem with ponies, just that being different would make ponies visit the island more often and disrupt the beauty and the peace there. Well, as long as he was here maybe he could try and get to know the ponies more. 

"Here goes nothing," Silver said with a sigh as he adjusted the saddlebags on him and walked into town. 

Welcome to my thread. Here a pony (or other creature) can meet the elusive Peryton and learn about them. Have fun!

Krulos walked around Ponyville in his disguise with his pet wasp, Hammerhead perched upon his shoulder. He sigh, "Oh Hammerhead, today would be a perfect day to conquer something or annihilate it" He said, reeking of Boredom. Hammerhead only buzzed in response. It only took a turn of his head to destroy what boredom he had. He was looking at what appeared to be a winged dear? Krulos decided investigate this madness himself. He took a deep breath and walked up to the creature and said, "Hello, I haven't seen you around before, who might you be" He asked with a smile extending a hoof. Hammerhead stayed on his shoulder staring at the weird creature. 

The morning air was crisp and clean.

Per his earlier train ride to Ponyville, Sprig was entirely greatful for this. He took in several breathes in an effort to clear his chest of the horrid smoke that the train had emanated. No matter how many times he rode that machine, he was never able to fully enjoy it. Truly if he could, he would travel on hoof from his home in Trottingham to here and skip the train ride all together.

His love for traveling was worth it he supposed. In addition to that his students counted on him to bring back pictures and stories of his travels. Sigh. What he wouldn't do for his beloved students. The blind teacher, still a little wobbly- legged from the ride, trotted at a calm pace through Ponyville. He had been here a many of times to pretty well know his way around. However, his senses were still a bit on the fritz from that accursed machine. The white stallion gave his head a little shake. "Come now Sprig, get yourself toge-" His mutterings were promptly cut short as he unintentionally bumped into the Peryton and 'Unicorn'.

Silverglade knew that it was to be impossible entering Ponyville and not having a single pony talk to him. Even so, it took him by surprise when a unicorn seeing him came to speak with him. Well there was no use being rude to the pony, even though he had a strange look on his face.

"I'm not from around here," Silverglade said stoically, "That is why you haven't seen me. I am Silverglade. And who might you be?"

He noticed that the unicorn held out a hoof as a sign of welcome which Silverglade reluctantly was about to return the favor when suddenly another pony collided with him. The Peryton extended one of his large wings to prevent him from tipping over, righting himself and returning his strong stance. Were ponies this clumsy often.

"I would be careful where you walk, lest you collide with another or worse something that won't move so easily such as me," he said looking at the pony who had some kind of malady with his eyes and thus softened his opinion of the pony hitting him, "and what is your name?"

Krulos took note of the the Peryton's voice 'Interesting' he thought to himself. He also noted the reluctance of him shaking Krulos' hand. Him being a former officer required him to notice small things nobody could. he was just about to say,

"Name's commander Kru-" 

He didn't get to finished as a pony collided with him. He walked back a few feet to keep himself form falling. By pure instinct he yelled, "Watch were you going! Why don't I unscrew your hand and-" he stopped himself before he could go any further. He looked forward for a second then smiled the two sheepishly. 

The white stallion righted himself from the collision he had caused. "Oh! I'm terribly sorry, my dear fellows." He quickly apologized feeling awful about the ordeal. From the different voices that spoke he knew he had ran into two stallions. One's tone noticeably softer than the other's. "Are you two alright?" Worry laced in his Trottingham accent. His sightless pale blue eyes now exposed. Blast it all...not only did he possibly hurt two individuals, it seemed he lost his shades in the process as well. Oh, what a day this has been.

Silverglade is based off of the elf king Thranduil from The Hobbit movie trilogy, especially in his mannerisms.

Silverglade's eyebrow raised a little hearing the title of commander granted to the pony. It was certainly a sign of respect that the Peryton hoped would be regarded. But all signs of respect dwindled as the stallion lashed out at the pony who collided with him.

"I would hope sir that being a commander you are less likely to act out so rashly on the battlefield than how you did here, especially because I think there is something a matter with this pony's eyes," Silverglade said softly yet sternly to the unicorn before turning to the other stallion and saying, "No need to apologize as there was no harm done."

The Peryton picked up the sunglasses in the clove of his hoof and presented it in front of the pony saying, "I believe that these are yours. They are right in front of you in my hoof." 

Krulos recoiled the Peryton's comment 'What would he know about me!' he thought furiously, but he decided to use to comment to justify himself for the two. "Well, my rash behavior has won me many battles, my apologizes sometimes I think I live in my past" He said, remember his old days as an officer. 

Hammerhead had taken flight during and was hovering over the three. Once things looked more peaceful, he lowered himself so he was at eye level with the Preyton, staring at it with upmost curiosity. "That is my pet wasp, Hammerhead" Krulos quickly. Then turned to the earth pony, "Okay Private, as punishment for bumping into an officer you must talk to us, so whats is your name?" he joked with a smirk.

"Oh, thank heavens!" He breathed out air he hadn't realized he was holding. His body becoming visibly more relaxed and leases tensed. "I'm glad that you are both alright." A friendly smile replaced his worried expression from before.

His ears flicked forward at the Peryton's indication as to where his missing shades were. "Thank you, I was starting to miss these." He smiled reaching a slender hoof forward until it lightly bumped with the Peryton. As he took the offered glasses, his hoof slightly brushed across the other's. 'How curious? A cloven hoof? Deer perhaps?' He pondered as he placed the circular sunglasses onto his face.

Ah, so that's what was making the buzzing noise. He nodded making a mental note of the winged insect. Truly he thought that was just his sensitive ears still ringing. His head turned towards the sound of the Commander's voice when he was addressed.

"Understood, Commander." A playful smile on his face as he went along with the joke. " My name is Sprig. I teach back in Trottingham." He replied taking a moment to straighten his tie. "And how may I address you gentle-colts this day?" He asked realizing he had yet to ask their names.

"Well, my rash behavior has won me many battles, my apologizes sometimes I think I live in my past" 

Silverglade merely nodded at the unicorn's apology as some habits were harder to break. Well no harm was done in the slight rashness. As the blind pony picked up his glasses, he paused sensing the cloven hoof but still accepted the glasses. Then suddenly a wasp flew in front of Silverglade, eyeing him up before pulling back. The Peryton valued bees as they were important in pollinating flowers yet he was not too keen around wasps as they were more aggressive than their stinger-less cousins the bumble bee. Still Krulos mentioned it was his pet which made Silverglade not think it was a threat. 

"Very interesting choice of pet. How did you come upon selecting a wasp as a companion?" 

"Understood, Commander." A playful smile on his face as he went along with the joke. " My name is Sprig. I teach back in Trottingham." He replied taking a moment to straighten his tie. "And how may I address you gentle-colts this day?" 

"Well met Sprig. I am Silverglade from the Velvet Strand. So, you are a teacher. What do you teach in your town?" 

Krulos looked up for a second, rubbing his right hoof agents his chin as if remembering something. But in reality he was doing the opposite. He didn't want to tell the real story, as it revealed more then he felt comfortable with. He turned to sprig and nodded, as if saying 'go ahead'. Hammerhead decided fly up and land on Krulos's horn to get a better look at the Preyton, with out disturbing the strange creature. He didn't care about the Earth pony, he had seen too many of them anyway.

"It's nice to meet you as well, Silverglade." He gave a slight nod in greetings. " Hmm...well, I teach the little ones." He went on, hovering one hoof above the ground mimicing the normal height of a foal. "We usually cover the basics of each subject and even explore the realm of cutie-marks. Much like what the lovely Miss Cherilee does here in Ponyville." The teacher finished with a slight adjustment to his glasses.

"I also want to thank your for your service Commander..." He said to where he thought the Unicorn was. "I'm sorry I don't believe I caught your name." He added rubbing his green mane with his hoof.

"Now the Velvet Strand" He thought putting a hoof to his chin in thought. "Where have I heard that name before-oh!" The cloven hoof made sense now along with this creature's accent. "My dear fellow could you by chance be a Peryton?" He asked curiously. The pony was almost sure he had it right. There wasn't many books on the Perytons. However, from what he read they were quite the elusive type. So, what exactly was one doing in Ponyville?

Silverglade nodded as he listened to Sprig explain what he taught and to whom. It was a job of great distinction teaching the youth what they need to know to move through the world, one that the Peryton gave higher regard to than any leader or warrior.

"Your profession is great indeed, one that carries the joy and the responsibility of teaching the future of Equestria."

Although blind, the pony was able to deduce that who he spoke with wasn't a pony but a Peryton, something that brought a slight smile to Silverglade's face.

"Why yes, I am a Peryton. I'm surprised that you have even heard of us. We tend to not stray from out lands in the Velvet Strand, but because of getting some much needed supplies I had to venture to a town. Ponyville was the closest and least populated one."

Krulos listened with little interest. He already heard about teachers, but he supposed that Preyton culture might be different form pony and Changeling's. Fortunately his curiosity grew when the Preyton mentioned Needing to come to town and also that it was the least populated one. 

"Pardon me but you mentioned that you needed to come to a town. Is there something here that you can't acquire at Velvet strand?" He asked curiously 

'Do Preytons have some kind of grudge or past with ponys' he thought. If so he could understand it easily, Krulos been a Changeling.

A warm smile spread across the white stallion's face at the Peryton's praise of his occupation. "There is never a dull moment." A chuckle escaping as he rubbed a hoof through his short mane.

Upon listening to Silverglade his smile turned from that of sheepish- pride to one of excitement. Never before would he have thought he would ever get a chance to meet a Peryton. And here he was now chatting with the mysterious creature. "Ah yes, I have read from what little books that are on your species. It is quite hard to find any, much less printed in brail, about your kin. I must say, I find the Peryton's elusive nature mysteriously exciting." He beamed. The Earth Pony was trying with every fiber of his being not to scare his newest acquaintance with the many questions he had. And was it a struggle.

His head swung to where the Unicorn's voice spoke and nodded in agreement with his question. Yes! That was one he also wished to know. He sent a silent thank you to the Commander. One less question that threatened to burst from the flood gates that was his mouth.

Silverglade's ears perked up as the unicorn, who at the time was largely silent, asked why the Peryton needed to venture at all to Ponyville. Although telling this information might invite more unwelcome guests to the island there was no harm in giving some information, especially for Sprig who took the effort to seek out what little Peryton lore there was. 

"The Velvet Strand is a small island in the middle of one of the three Great Nimbusgait Lakes. It is a small community, definitely smaller than this place, and not like what you imagine it to be like here in Ponyville. There are hardly any buildings there save for maybe a shed as all construction is built inside the many hills dotting the land. We do have shops and even a few restaurants but most of what we get we do so by the lands and waters in and around the Strand. So when one lives in a small area certain comforts must be obtained elsewhere. Ponyville is that elsewhere. As to your research Sprig, I admire your research of my kind. We are not that mysterious as you may think but we do prefer to remain where we are as a herd in the Velvet Strand. There are some who will venture out to see what lies beyond the lakes but many remain where the bond of our herd is strong."

Archived