Ending of the war. (Private.)

BassClef

"Oh, I'm Star Mapper... Born into wealth from parents Night Mapper and my unknown mother. Despite my name, I own a large gem mine for many large fashion businesses. My workers are the hardest working ponies out there. Sure to get the job done! It is a pleasure to meet you, Starry! I do believe we are two of the last elite in Canterlot... Thanks to that blasted Blackbird..."

"Ahh...so I see you are against the rebellion.  My father joined the rebellion, bringing plenty of wealth and knowledge into the troup.  My mother and her family were one of the last to surrender, but they were also convinced to join the rebellion.  Their inert abilities in magic and countless secret spells have aided the rebellion quite a lot.  I have received countless letters, concealed notes, or dangerous whispers from them, trying to convince me to join.  One even tried to bribe me with: 'Trust me, if you join us, you and Requiem Song can become a parent and daughter again,'.  The nerve!  My mother is still my mother whether or not she wishes to acknowledge that!"

"Oh, no. I'm not against the Rebellion. I'm neutral too. Just... There's a factor in there that makes me hate the leader. Much like your family being in the rebellion. Blackbird is my brother... He doesn't know that because he believes I was killed by Celestia herself... It was only our parents that died, and Celestia didn't kill them. He was driven to start this rebellion over it."

Starry widened her eyes, aghast at the news, "You're Blackbird's brother?  B-but, you too seem so...different.  I don't know if I should be offering my condolences, or wondering why you're neutral.  Shouldn't you be on the same side as your brother?  I mean, other than that one particular factor you haven't told me about yet,"

"Self-righteous. The guy is selfish. Even if I joined up, he wouldn't even acknowledge me! He was born from our step mother... So... I guess were half brothers... But he's still blood."

"I totally understand how that feels.  To be invisible, not acknowledged despite being family.  Even before my mother was brought to the other side, she and I didn't have the best opinion of each other.  Other than providing me a monthly stipend, she never really visited.  She basically started another family, giving up on her old one without telling them that she was done with them.  For a while, it really hurt.  Then, I guess I started to give up on her too.  Is Blackbird the elder one?"  Starry remembered.   Her eyes were not wet, despite how she expected them to spring forth many tears at the mention of her mother. 

"No, I am. He's in his... Twenties I believe. I myself... Im twenty nine. Almost thirty. Blackbird is the only Pegasus in the family. He would have gotten some of the wealth from father, if he didnt go running off with his hate."

"I suppose your father was one of the Elite, then.  And you didn't feel his hatred?  You didn't feel drawn to the same conclusion as him?" Starry asked.  Her voice was curious, yet with a taint of bitterness and darkness, "I am a fortress.  I will not fall to any bribes, money, or illegal things-but I will fall at some point.  I cannot keep this up forever, at some point or the other, I know I will give up to the rebellion.  I just hope that the day will not be anytime soon,"

"I dont have the same hate, because i was there. I witnessed my parents being brutally murdered by these 'guards' of Celestia. They weren't. My parents caught onto that. They were fakers, trying to take some fake taxes. Father threatened to call the guards... Then... You get the rest. I was hiding in my room. Blackbird only saw the last bit of it... If he stayed home, instead of playing outside with his friends, he would have known... What... Known what... Happened... P-pappa..." Star had finally started to tear up at the end of his explanation. When he finished talking he almost broke down completely.

"Shh...shh...it's okay.  Actually it's not okay.  It never occurred to you to say something to your brother?  Something that might have changed this pat of history?  Never?  I don't know if I should be pitying you or feel disappointed-no wonder he doesn't like you," Starry huffed.  She was always honest and realistic, and being overly kind for the situation in this timing didn't seem...right.  She sighed at him, "It's not your fault, I suppose.  I've never seen death up close, so I'm not one to state the consequences.  Just let it all out...all out,"

"Woah!  Who's 'The One'?  I know we're just strangers, but being the last Elites gives us a lot of foundation to start on.  Mind telling me what I've got myself into?  And what this-stuff-you're talking about means?" A confused look was cast upon her face.

"He believes that there is this mystical being that is the true ruler of the world... The one... Just mumbo jumbo bull ****... He's crazy... That's why I hate him..."

"But, yet, hundreds of thousands of Equestrian masses follow him like a god. No pony follows a crazy pony; but they might follow an insane one. What were you doing for the whole day while I patiently sat on the couch?"

"Work... Now that I am older, I must keep track of the mine. Making sure were performing as promised, the moral needs to by high, and I must fill out pay checks. Gee... I would rather work in the mine, tell you the truth. My job is President of the shimmering gem stone mine company. SGSMC for short... It's boring. Way to easy."

"Oh? What do you do at work? Weren't all the mines shut down under Celestia's order for safety? I though Blackbird targeted a few of them and caused some less-than-necessary explosions,"Starry asked. Her expression was full of curiosity and wonder.

"Ehh.... I work under the radar. Gems are more valuable now that they aren't being mined. So... Naturally, I hired stallions who weren't afraid of the law."

"I personally wouldn't do anything illegal-but, of course, that would be if we were still living in the old Equestria.  An Equestria where there would only be defeat-able problems like Nightmare Moon, Tirek; and reform-able problems like Discord.   Problems that could be taken away in a whiff with the Elements of Harmony (Was it?).  I know this is crazy, and would never have happened in the old Equestia...but...Do you have any job openings in your mine?  I do no good in mining, but I am a very good scout.  I can use my infrared spell to search for any abnormalities within your mine-such as bombs or explosives.  After all, this is the new Equestria we're in,"

Starry stared at him, and, in a flash, removed all her jewelry and shades-with levitation magic, of course. She stared back at him, her mane wild; her pierced ears without earrings, her pupil-less eyes open at him. "DO I CARE?! In these past years, i've been striped of my job, my belongings, my money, and my family. I have lost everything I have ever worked for, and all the things I have ever had a passion for are gone! For goodness sakes-you if all ponies should know. Do I even care where my last chance of life may be? I can't even see it!?" She roared.

Archived