Baby Mine (W/ smartrony. free to join!)

BassClef

The foal, now called Itoga, was slightly frightened by the sudden touch on his cheek. But the fear died down quickly as the soothing voice of Shutter came back. Itoga seemed to be a good fit for the little foal. It seemed strong and brave. Just like him. Now Itoga's small wings unfurl and flap slightly with small joy. He felt like he was with a caring mother and father. Ones who wouldn't abandon him. This of course wasn't true. But the foal just felt this way.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Itoga........." Sky thought it over for a bit, watching Itoga flap, "That's a good name." He said before having to cover a yawn, tired after all that had happened and all the adrenaline from his fear and worry had left him. "Would you mind holding him for a bit? It's been a rough night and I think I need to take a quick nap." 'How am I going to take care of Itoga alone.', he thought briefly, before being overcome with the urge to yawn again. 'I'll just have to think of something after I get some sleep. I can't think like this.'

Her blue eye's lit up at Sky's request. Ever since she had entered the room she was itching to be able to hold him and now was her chance! "No problem." She smiled amused by the his yawn. "I know you must be very tired from this whole ordeal." She motioned with her wing to the couch in the room. "The couch folds out into a bed. It may be a bit more comfortable than the bed." She chuckled motioning to the small bed in the room ment only for foals.She gently took Itoga from Sky. She made sure her movements were slow and careful. The last thing she wanted to do was startle the frieghtened baby. "Shhh...Ito..."She soothed as she lightly patted the foals back. "Your hero needs to sleep now." She finished meeting Sky's eyes with her own sending him a smile before looking back down at the colt in her arms. 

Itoga felt movement. What was happening?! Why was he moving?! Why? Why? Why?! The little foal's face turned from happy, to sad in moments. Why was he being taken?! The familiar sensation of the stallions grasp was gone and this made Itoga feel scared. Even if it was these small movements, he could still feel them. Itoga let out his signature soft whimpers of distress and fear. Where was he going?! Why is this happening?!

"Oh no," Sky said. "Itoga, shhhhh, it's alright. I'm still here." He whispered to the colt. He was so tired, he was almost just acting on instinct. He kissed Itoga on the forehead, and recalled the words the Professor had said to him long ago. "Don't worry, you're not alone. I promise, you'll never be alone." With a quick ruffle of Itoga's mane, Sky went over to the couch and unfolded it. It wasn't big, but at this point he felt like he could sleep on a rock. Flopping down on the bed, he grabbed one of the couch pillows and began to cuddle it. "Goodnight Shutter Lens." He said through a yawn, "Goodnight Itoga." Then, he was out, snoring softly.

"Good night, hero." She whispered to the already snoring stallion. Heh. He said that he hadn't any knowledge for caring for foals though, his instinctive comforting display just then said otherwisr. She moved her gaze from Sky to the whimpering Itoga. "Sshh...sweetie. I got you." She soothed as she expertly held him close to her. "You are safe now, Ito." The peach colored mare pulled a blanket from the bed and placed it over Sky while holding Ito in her other hoof. "There." She smiled at her work before going over to the rocking chair adjacent to the couch and sitting. "Okay, Ito it's just the two of us now." She hummed softly as she began to rock him. "Those are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen." She cooed placing a soft kiss on his rounded cheek.

With the movement now at a constant rocking, Itoga's mood started going back to calm mode. His glossy eyes looking upward, cloudy and Innocent. His cheeks were only a bit chubby, but that's because he was just a newborn. He didn't seem to like sudden touches on his body, even if its soft and gentle. As Shutter had been placing her kiss on his cheek, Itoga his tiny hoof up and pushed on her snout, ever so gently.

An amused grin spread accross her face as his tiny hoof booped against her muzzle. "Oh, okay. I see." She lightly chucked. The one thing she learned from spending so much time around foals was that each one was different. Each tiny little foal had their own personalities'. Some liked to be held and coddled and some preferred not so much. Ito's case was a bit different. The foal was very much a comfort-foal by what she could tell so far. She thought as she hummed continuing her slow rocking that he seemed to enjoy.

Though on a different note, it seemed he didn't take too kindly to sudden changes and touches. This most likely was directly linked to the malady with his eyes. Blind ponies generally had a more heightened senses that made up for their lack of vision. So, even the slightest kiss would surely cause the blind newborn a bit of confusion.  Shutter would have to remember that so as not to cause the colt anymore unnecessary stress.She sighed as the pieces started to come together. That couple with the fact that he mostly likely started out in this world knowing nothing but, fear. She would have to question Sky on the matter. She thought as she glanced back up at said stallion snoozing away. But, that could wait for now.

"It's a bit early for your next feeding, so we'll hold off on that for now." She spoke to the blue colt in her arms. She knew he wouldn't/couldn't answer but, the more he heard her voice the better it would be. "You're quite the handsome little fella, you know?" She said in her usual soft tone marveling at the tiny foal's features.

Itoga tried adjusting himself in Shutter's arms. His tiny little legs were moving like crazy to pivot himself into a better position. His wings fluttered when he did. Now he was very content with the current situations. He was being held by the nice one, he was comfortable, and he had a good meal before hand. But he was getting kinda hungry now. Maybe they would feed him soon... But... He felt something in his nose that made it twitch. He couldn't help but to take in a deep breath, then release a soft sneeze. That was weird... You could see the confusion on his face.

"Goodness, that was a big one." She chuckled before reaching over to take a tissue from the box located on the table. "Here. Let me help you." She said as she gently dabbed at his little nose. The sudden feeling of cloth may startle him but, it was better than having a runny nose. Must have a cold. She concluded and pulled the baby blanket over him more. "We'll fix you up in no time, Itoga. Don't worry." She assured before reverting back to her soft humming.

She would need to read his board soon. To get a better understanding of his condition. And then there was Sky. Why did he have Ito? Where did he find him...and what did he plan on doing with him?

(just got back home!)

Itoga, of course, wasn't at all happy about being suddenly touched with a tissue on his nose. He tryed to move away from it as Shutter cleaned his nose, and stared up his soft whimpering again. All these sudden touches were making Ito feel uncomfortable and scared again. He didn't seem to be much of a cry-er at all. More of a whimper-er. It must be because of his illness.

Sky was dreaming soundly, but his mind still poured over the night's events. His dreams started off in a dark alley, though it looked far more like a corridor of some kind. He could hear crying ahead of him, so he ran forward, but no matter how fast he ran the crying seemed to be staying just out of sight, not getting any louder or any quieter. Eventually reaching the end of the alley, he was in the nursery room, but there was nopony else there. The crying was gone, and left was pure, spooky silence. The door creaked shut behind him, but he didn't notice. He was focused more on the feeling that something or somepony were missing. He went over to look out the window, and there was nothing but white. When he turned back around the furniture and walls of the room had vanished. Sky was now holding Itoga, and in front of him was now a train of baby carts leading off into the horizon of his vision. Each cart looked the same, and Sky knew that each cart, save for the one closest to him, had a foal in it. Looking over his shoulder, there was a lone door where the window had been. He knew the door was unlocked, but at the same time knew there would be no coming back once he left through it. It came down to a choice. Would he take Itoga with him to the other side of the door, and deal with whatever may be on the other side with the baby, or would he leave him to be with all of the others in the train, a safe future, if nothing else. Sky looked down at Itoga, then back up at the carts. He didn't know what would be on the other side of the door, and he didn't want Itoga to suffer because of him. With a heavy heart, he was about to place Ito in the cart, when he heard a voice behind him. "Here. Let me help you." He turned around, and saw a shadow in a ray of light coming from underneath the door. It was the shadow of a mare, but beyond that all he knew was that he liked the shadow. There was some more mumbling, but he understood the words "Don't worry." With new-found strength of will, he held Itoga close and opened up the door. Instantly, he was greeted by a blinding light, and as he shielded him and Itoga as he walked forward he heard a whisper come from Itoga. "Thank you."

Sky's eyes slowly opened, a bit of light from the window beaming on his face. He sat up, stretched his arms and wings out, coupled with a big yawn, and rubbed his eyes. They were still a little fuzzy, but he could make out Shutter Lens and Itoga sitting in the rocking chair. With a groggy smile, he greeted them both with a "Good morning." His back felt a little sore, probably from the position that he'd been sleeping in, and when he looked back down at the bed he noticed a small spot of drool on the pillow. As sneakily as he could, he faked another stretch and flipped the pillow with his outstretched hoof. Hoping his move went unnoticed, he turned his attention back to Shutter Lens and Itoga. "Were there any problems while I was, uh, out?" He asked, unsure of just how long he'd been asleep.

"Now, now, Ito." She soothed holding him closer as she finished cleaning him. "I'm done. No more touching. I promise." She said in an attempt to quiet his whimpering. It was almost odd that he hadn't cried yet. It made her worry for his lungs. She would have to check that out later. Shutter thought making a mental note (that she hopefully wouldn't forget) to herself. Her ears flicked forward at the sudden sound of  another voice. "Oh!" She looked up from Ito to Sky  with a warm smile. "Sleep well?" She teased looking at his bed head of a mane. So cute. "Oh, no. We were fine." She replied still rocking Ito. "It seems little Ito, here is a bit finnicky about being touched." She stated remembering what happened earlier. "But that is to be expected of course." She added not wanting to worry Sky. He already enough to worry about as it is.

Itoga felt sudden movements again. But this time it wasn't very scary. It felt rather comforting to the little Ito. His whimpering soon stoped and a small little grin appeared on Itoga's face. Ito cooed happily as he was cradled in the kind ones arms. But his head turned to the sound of the hero's voice. The one who pulled him out of the despair of fear. His grin widening to a full smile as he recognizes the heroic voice instantly.

"Hmhm." Sky chuckled, seeing the smile on Itoga's face, "He looks pretty happy to me." As he started to get up to fix the couch, Sky noticed the blanket he'd been covered in. Staring at it in puzzlement, he thought about it. 'I don't remember having a blanket when I went to bed. Did Shutter Lens put in over me while I was asleep? I mean, it's either that, or I was more tired than I thought.' Thinking about how Shutter was caring enough to not only watch over Itoga while he slept, but to also make sure he was comfortable put a smile on his face, and it made him remember the end of his dream as well. ' "Let me help you. Don't worry." Come to think of it, that did sound a lot like Shutter.......bah! Dreams are nonsense anyway! But........' His train of thought was derailed as he once again thought about the couch and how it needed to be fixed. Standing up, he folded up the blanket and set it on the foal bed, then returned the couch to it's original form. He looked at the window, and at the light streaming in, and more of his dream came back to him, about Itoga and the decision he'd had to make. Staring at the window, he knew he'd have to make that decision again soon, and that he wasn't as sure as he had been in his dream. 'Can I really do it?' He asked himself, 'Or, can I even ask for help?'

She watched as Sky made up the couch. It was very thoughtful of him. She couldn't count the times it was usually left up to whatever nurse was lucky enough to get such a task. It wasn't very menial it just added one more thing to their ever growing list of things to do. She was thankful non the least by his small act of kindness. "Yes, he is a happy little one. I haven't heard him cry yet." She chuckled at the colt's cute little smile. "Especially when he hears you." She added slowing to a stop in her rocking. "Would you like to feed him?" She asked the stallion. "It's about time for him to eat again." Feeding was a sure way to bring a newborn closer to their parents (especially new fathers). It built sort of an unspoken bond between them. And well it would also give her the chance to observe the two and ask some questions about them before their arrival to the hospital.

Itoga felt the slow stopping of the gentle rocking that had calmed him down so much. But now he didn't seem so bothered about it. He might look a bit more nervous, but he wasn't complaining. As long as he was being held by somepony, and not being placed in a cart then Itoga was fine. Though the shifting between two ponies' arms would be a bit too much. A few times would be fine... But constantly, now that's madness! Itoga felt... Dreary and tired. The little foal took a deep breath in then yawned. He had been up all this time.

Sky was broken from his thoughts by Shutter's question. "Huh? Uh, sure, but it looks like someone else needs to take a nap now." He said jokingly. "Besides, it might give us a chance to talk...." Sky didn't want to say the next part, but he knew he had to, his gut wrenching as he said the next words, ".....about what comes next....." His face slowly turning into more of a frown. He sat down on the couch, feeling a little too weak to stand, though he had just slept. It was going to be a heavy conversation, that much he knew. "I just......I just don't know what to do, and.....and I'm scared.....not for me, it's just......" Sky felt defeated. He couldn't find the right words. He'd thought it would be so simple to just ask her for her help, but it seemed so ridiculous to ask a random mare that he'd practically just met to help him raise a foal! It was crazy! "......I....I just don't want him to grow up alone...."

"Heh, I suppose you are right." She smiled down at the tiny foal in her arms. She looked back up at the stallion as he continued to talk. A pang of sympathy burned in her chest as she watched the male's fear become progressivaly more visible. She frowned as well fully feeling sorry for Sky. He was so scared and he had every right to be. He was young well, they were relatively around the same age, judging from his appearance. Still the concept of suddenly being responsible for another life was a terrifying concept. She watched as he sat back down on the couch looking nothing short of defeated. With a glance at the sleepy foal in her arms, she slowly stood from her spot and walked to the couch grabbing a bottle that was prepared before hoof on her way.

"Hey." She spoke up as she sat down next to him moving her wing a bit to lightly bump his in a friendly way to get his attention. "Are you from here, Sky?" She asked. Choosing to drop formalities in an effort to come off more as a friend then just a random nurse. He wouldn't be able to think right in the state that he was in now. Shutter adjust her hold on Ito to a more comfortable position, as she waited for Sky Blue's answer. She then brought the bottle close to his mouth and nose. Allowing him to smell the formula in hopes of getting him to eat. A full belly led to a more peaceful sleep. 

Itoga smelled something like the stuff they gave him when he was bright in here. Food! The smell was great to the little colt. He opened his mouth and waited to be fed by the kind one. This place was great! He was being fed when he was hungry and everything! When the bottle was placed in his mouth, he started feeding on the liquid inside. Delicious!

"Well, no, I'm not...." Sky replied, chuckling a bit, "I'm actually from Cloudsdale. Not exactly the best place for a blind colt to grow up, is it?" He realized that, if he was going to take care of Itoga, he wouldn't be able to safely do so in Cloudsdale. It was dangerous enough for young Pegasi that were learning how to fly, let alone ones that were blind. But, moving from Cloudsdale didn't seem as big a deal for him when he really thought about it. And then he thought about what he'd said to Itoga. 'I promise, you'll never be alone.' He wasn't going to give up Itoga, that much was clear to him now. With a sigh of relief, he began thinking out loud. "I suppose that means I'll have to quit my job at the Weather Factory and get a new job somewhere else. Maybe I could brew potions. That's practically the same as chemistry, after all......heh, and maybe the Professor will even give me a few bits to get me started!" Sky was getting more and more excited as his plan started to form in his mind. But, there was still one gap. "Oh......but I can't take care of Ito and work......drat......" he said, losing a bit of his momentum. Stumped, and with a look of serious determination and concentration, he went back to thinking about it in his head.

Shutter nodded as she listend to Sky. It seemed he did plan on keeping the foal so, that question was answered. Good. They were off to a good start. She looked back down to Itoga feeling the tug on the bottle. "That's good isn't it?" She cooed to the baby glad and a bit relieved that he was  eating. "A chemist, hm?" Her blue-eyes moving from the bundle in her ams to the stallion beside her. "There is a school here though, if teaching is not your forte" She paused thinking over the options available. "I do beleive there is an apothecary as well." She suggested. That could take care of his new job and then there was his living arrangements....

She agreed with him about Cloudsdale.  It would be a risk trying to raise a blind colt there let alone by yourself. What could he do? There was always her place...but, that was a bit insane. She barely knew this stallion and for her to invite him into her home was crazy, right? Then again she never really was that catious when it came to helping others. She sighed a bit closing her eyes as she thought. What would her uncle do? She smiled at the thought of the eccentric stalllion. He would through silly caution to the wind and extend a helping hoof. "And..." She began slowly. Shutter knew what she had to do. "You could...stay with me...." She mumbled a light pink dusting her face. "I-In my apartment I mean. You know, until you find a place of your own." She added averting her eyes back to Ito. "That is if you decide to move here, of course." A small nervous chuckle leaving her mouth.

What exactly was she getting herself into?

Ito didn't know what was going on. He was just focused on his feeding. He was sooo hungry! But he was also sooo tired! Ito started to drift off every now and then. His eye lids fluttered closed and his feeding slowed till he was completely asleep. His mouth hung open and the bottle fell out from his mouth. He wasn't even half way done...

Archived