Baby Mine (W/ smartrony. free to join!)

BassClef

It is a quiet day. The usually busy Canterlot was now slow and silent. Its at a particular little ally way that isn't really quiet. There is a soft whimpering and crying, like that from a scared newborn. There isn't any Lou crying. Just scared whimpering. The ally way is dark, depressing and most of all, sketchy looking.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky Blue wandered aimlessly through the streets of Canterlot, lost. He had been on his way to a seminar that his mentor, Rainbow Drop, was giving, but he must have made a wrong turn somewhere because now he was hopelessly lost.

'Maybe if I fly above the city, I can figure out where I am.' He thought to himself while he walked, 'No, that's stupid. I don't come to Canterlot often! How could I possible figure out where to go! Maybe I should just ask somepony where I am.' Without him realizing it, the streets had become less and less crowded, until there was nopony else around at all. As he started to realize this, he looked around, bewildered. 'Well, so much for that idea.'  :roll: It was eerily quiet with nopony else around, the kind of quiet that makes you check over your shoulder every few steps. Sky was alert. So alert, in fact, that he could hear sounds coming from down an alley. 'Ah! There must be ponies in the next street over!' That thought gave him a little hope, and soon he was walking down the alley. Though, as he got deeper into the alley, he didn't hear what sounded like ponies chatting. It sounded like crying, echoing through the alley. Not sobbing, which is a kind of "pity me" cry. No, this cry was something more. Something along the lines of "I need help, but, why?". Confused, and slightly worried, Sky started looking around the alley for a source of the noise. The pass was certainly not what he'd thought it was from the street, part of Canterlot's "charm", he supposed.

'Darn echo. I can't pinpoint where that sounds' coming from!' Mustering up a bit of courage, Sky spoke softly into the darkness. "H-hello? Who's there, and are you alright?"

Sky would only be met by more whimpers. But more babbling could be heard. Innocent and infantile. As Sky moved farther into the ally, he could make out the figure of a foal cart. The puzzle was beginning to put itself together. The noises were being made by a little foal, scared out of its little mind.

Sky looked down both ends of the alley. Surely, somepony must have left this foal here, but........why?

He began to have small flashbacks, of when the Professor found him. He had been older at that time than this foal is now, but the emotions must be the same, and he could remember them well. He inched closer to the cart. 'This can't really be what I think it is, can it? This has to be some kind of joke!' But when he got to the cart, it couldn't be any clearer that is was no joke at all. Someone had abandoned this baby here, but for what purpose?! 'I suppose, just from what I've heard about Canterlot, some ponies will really do anything to protect their image.' It was a dark thought, and certainly not the kind Sky was used to having. His mind wandered off that subject, as it tends to do, to a more pressing issue 'What if......should I? Should I take care of this baby, like the Professor did for me?' It wasn't exactly something he thought he'd be ready for, but he knew what it was like to feel alone in the world. 'I'll worry about that part later. First things first, I gotta get this foal to stop crying.'

Picking the foal up, Sky sat down in the alley and held it close. Rocking back and forth, he tried to sooth the young one. "Shhhh, shhhhh. It's alright. You're not alone anymore."

(Sorry for lack of longer replies. Just tired is all.)

The poor little foal was shivering. It seemed to be sick, being out like this for Celestia knows how long. Features of the foal became visible now that sky held it. He could tell that it was a colt. It's cart had baby blue all over it. Its mane was still really short, indicating it was a new born. His mane was a light blue, like that of his cart. His body fur was a slightly darker blue. And his eyes were... Snowy white. It didn't look normal. The newborn foal looked blankly around, still shivering. Sky could feel its small wings stretch out.

(No problem. It's about 2 AM for me right now, so I'm probably headed to bed after this post.)

'Heh, a Pegasus, just like me.' Sky mused, but this was no time for something like that. 'Of all the times for me to not have some of the Professor's cure-all tea leaves on me, this had to be one of them!' He had to get this colt medical attention, and fast. If he knew where the Professor was, he could easily just go to him to get some leaves for the baby, but that's why Sky was in this alley in the first place. 'The next best thing to do is probably to find a hospital, or something, and the best place to see a hospital is from the sky!' With that thought, he shifted his weight so that the baby wouldn't be shaken when he took off. "Hold on little guy, we're gonna get you some help." He said softly before lifting himself up, smoothly dodging obstacles as he ascended towards the sky. Once he was high enough to see over the buildings, he began scanning the streets looking for a nearby hospital, and lucky for him he was in a big city like Canterlot! Surely, there would be some hospital nearby, or a pharmacy. Something, anything that could help him help the colt!

(Righty-o. I'm just gonna leave this here.)

Good thing indeed! At the hight Sky was at, he saw multiple hospitals. One was practically right next to the ally he was just in. The little foal seemed to be clueless of what was going on, yet when he felt the gusts of wind on his face, he felt insecure and almost began to cry. But he was too weak to go into a full cry, so he just whimpered. The little foal seemed to only know fear in life so far. It would seem, the only sort of security the little colt had felt, was in the hospital where he was born.

'Ah! There!' Sky shouted in his head as he started to fly straight towards the hospital below him, tucking the baby close to his chest as he went. Aiming for the emergency room doors, he pushed right through them, and continued to hover in the air while yelling, "Nurse! Doctor! Someone!" Sky was looking around the room frantically, clearly in a panic. "Please! This colt needs medical attention!" His heart was beating so fast. He'd never felt this kind of fear before. Fear, for another's safety and well-being.

Having never been flying before, the foal fearfully whimpered and hugged its little hooves to Sky's chest. Everyone in the hospital looked at Sky with alarm as he entered. It took some time but at least a nurse came to the rescue. "Follow me to the infirmary, quickly! What happened? Is this your foal?"

Sky did as the nurse instructed and answered as best he could. "N-no, this isn't my foal, and I don't know what happened. I just found him abandoned in an alley like this." Tears were beginning to well up in his eyes. "Is-is he gonna be okay nurse? Are you gonna be able to help him?!" He'd forgotten all about the seminar, about where he was going, about the Professor, everything. All that mattered to him right now was the well being of this colt.

"We have the best foal care here in canterlot. I'm sure this foal will be fine. Just give him to me and we'll get him some medicine, feed him, and give him a nice warm room. Actually, you can go ahead and wait in the room. Number 227, right at the end of this hall." The nurse held out her arms to hold the shivering and whimpering foal, whom had blankly been staring up at Sky this whole time.

"O-okay." Sky said, handing the foal off to the nurse. "Don't worry little guy, it's gonna be all right." He reassured, though probably more his his sake than the foal's.

He continued down the hall until he came to the room the nurse told him, room 227. He stepped inside, and to his surprise the room was very cozy. Sitting down, Sky's mind raced with multiple trains of thought. 'I need to write the Professor a letter letting him know where I am and what happened.' was one of the most prevalent, so he began to write a short synopsis of the events that took place, realizing in the process he still had no idea where he was. Writing down as many details of the place as he could, he hoped the Professor knew where he was better than he did. Next on his mind was 'I hope the baby's doing okay', followed quickly by 'I need to think of a name for him.' Sky was never good at naming things, so that was going to be a problem. Other thoughts included 'What was up with his eyes?', and 'Who would leave a little foal in an alley like that?!' He became lost in his thoughts, which actually helped to calm him down. Really though, he just hoped everything was going to be alright in the end.

As Sky was left alone with his thoughts, the hospital team did there work for the foal. They cleaned him, gave him medicine, and gave him formula. Some time later, there is a knock at the door. The door slowly creaks open, and a nurse wheels the little foal in, in his new cart. "Hello, sir! This little colt has a fever. He should be fine though. Also... We found a lot of cloudiness in his eyes. He could be blind. Poor little guy." The nurse wheels the cart next to Sky. "I think he missed you!"

'Blind? Well, I guess that explains it.' He thought, as he got up to see the foal. "Thank you so much nurse. Uhm, how much do I owe you?" Sky still had to think up a name for the colt too, but what? 'Dark Sky? No, too.....dark. Cloudy Sky? Closer, but still not quite right.' He'd have to save that naming business for later though, because something else was far more important. 'What do I do now?' He hadn't really thought about this that far in advance. 'I can't just abandon him like his parents did.' Sky thought, as he stroked the baby's mane, feeling happy that he would be all right. 'Guess I don't have much of a choice. It can't be that hard though, can it?'

"Oh,don't worry about it! Were just happy that you found him in time. I hope you don't mind though, but we... Need you to stay here with him till he recovers. If you have any relatives you need to inform about where you are, just tell us and we'll take care of that." The nurse replied. "Also, if you don't want the little one to be confined to his cart, you can let him walk. He should be fine, as long as you keep an eye on him!"

"Oh! Well, I can stay for a while. Could you do me a favor though?" Sky asked, grabbing an envelope addressed to the Professor's hotel and room number, containing the letter letting him know what was going on. "Could you mail this for me? And, thank you again, for everything." If nothing else, that letter would let the Professor know that Sky wasn't in danger. It wouldn't do any good to have the Professor worrying about him, after all. After handing over the letter, Sky decided that if the baby was blind, then hearing voices was one thing, but walking around was pretty much out of the picture, and that cart probably wasn't very comfortable. He picked up the colt and sat down in the chair with him. "Glad to see your okay." He whispered. "Now, what should we call you?"

Oh, what was the number again?

Shutter Lens desperately thought to herself as she quickly strode down the pediatric wing of the hospital. It didn't take long for news of the ​​unexpected arrival of a blind foal reached her ears. Shutter spent most of her time dealing with foals that were admitted into the hospital. And she loved it! While she wasn't fully in charge of the pediatric wing she did have a bit of say so. And once the new little addition was being treated the head nurse had asked her to help with caring for him. It seemed the stallion that brought him here wasn't related to the baby. How strange? It made her all the more eager to find the correct room.

Now if only she wasn't such a feather brain-227! That was it! The blue-eyed mare grinned as the familiar numbers came into view as she neared the room. She slowed her steps as she came closer. Peering in she could see the stallion cradling the foal in his arms. "Excuse me, sir. May I come in?" Her voice was gentle so as not to alarm the foal. She gave a nod to her fellow nurse.

"Well, hello Miss. Lens!" The other nurse quietly exclaimed as she tip-toes out. The little foal pivots its ears towards the new voice in the room. Its eyes still in a blank stare up at the ceiling. He shifts a bit to get into a comfy position.

"Of course." Sky says, looking up at the new nurse. "Please, come in." 'Miss Lens, huh? She's kinda cute.' And at that thought Sky gave himself a mental slap. This had already been a crazy enough day, and it didn't need to get any crazier with a love-at-first sight crush! He quickly darted his eyes back down to the foal, a slight blush forming on his cheeks. He still had to try and come up with a name. What had he thought of before, again? 'Cloudy.....Dark? Gah! I'm no good at this! Why can't kids just name themselves?!' Deep down, he was starting to get frustrated with himself. He couldn't keep calling this baby 'little guy', after all.

Shutter whispered a greeting at her ever cheerful co-worker before quietly walking into the room. The light's in the room were dimmed to a more comfortng atmosphere. A small friendy smile present on her lips. She took a moment to simply observe the foal and stallion pair. The colt was simply adorable. His soft tuft like light blue mane showing just how young he was. She immedatly noticed his pale white eyes. Yes, this foal was surely blind. Bless him. Even after all he had been through the colt seemed quite content in the stallion's arms.

And as for the stallion he seemed to be scared out of his wits. Poor guy, this whole night must have been very unnerving for him. The thing she noticed first of him was his dashing crimson eyes. Never before had she seen a pony with such a charming pair of eyes. The pair looked quite content just being with each other, it was quite cute. She almost didn't want to interrupt. "I think he likes you." Shutter replied still keeping a quiet tone as she was now standing beside the stallion, looking at the foal in his arms. "I'm Shutter Lens by the way. I'll be the foal's care taker while he is here. I'm here to help anyway I can Mister?" She greeted the stallion with a pleasant smile.

The little one did indeed look content In the stallions embrace. But he still looks rather frightened about everything. He wasn't crying, because of the comforting stallion holding him. The only emotions that the little guy had ever felt so far were fear, confusion, sadness and now a bit of security. At least he wasn't cold anymore. But he did have A cold... The little foal turned his head towards Shutter's voice. It must have reminded him of a nice nurse who helped birth him, because he finally looked happy. Though, he couldn't see what in the heck was going on, he knew he was finally safe.

"Sky, Sky Blue. It's nice to meet you, Miss Lens." Sky replied happily, "Though, he seems to like you a lot more than me." he added with a smile. "I'm really glad to have you here to help." Quickly looking down at the colt, he blushed a little more before adding in, "because I honestly don't know the first thing about taking care of a foal." Sky's heart was beating faster, but at least this time it wasn't out of worry. He knew what he was thinking when he said he was glad to have her here. "If-if there's anything you need me to do, you just let me know." Then, he remembered, he still had to think of a name for the colt. "Oh, and, actually, I guess there is something you could help me with.....could you help me name this little guy?" Sky asked.

Shutter lightly chuckled at Sky's light blush. "Sky Blue." She said testing his name. "What a lovely name." She added with a smile of her own. She had to admit this stallion was quite handsome."It is very nice to meet you as well, Mister Blue." She chuckled. The nurse unfurled one of her wings and brought it up to gently brush it against the little one's cheek. "Such a sweet little heart." She cooed to the baby. Her eyes filling with a love. She couldn't imagine some being able to abandon such a sweet thing. She thought a small frown forming. Her attention was brought from such grim thought's as the green-manned stallion's request. "A name?" She was a bit shocked none the least. She had seen many foals in her time here and this was the first time she was asked to help name one. "It would be my pleasure." She smiled as excitement creeped into her voice. "Let's see..." She thought a moment continuing to brush the colt's cheek. It would be something strong. Something to show how much of a fighter this little one was already. "Oh...! How about...It-Itoga?" She stated slowly letting the name form.

Archived