Baby Mine (W/ smartrony. free to join!)

BassClef

"Eh-uhh...." Words. Yes, that unintelligible sound she just made was supposed to be words. However, the poor mare was too shocked or...dare she say it...angry even? Yes, that was certainly there.

How could they...how could they just loose a baby?! She gritted her teeth at this. She was pulled from her thoughts at the sudden cry from Ito. "O-oh" Her head turning to look behind her. "If you'll excuse me." Shutter said before going to the little bed and picking up the crying baby. "It's okay sweet heart." She shooshed cradling him against her. "I'm right here."

((Thanks, Smart! Also I hope everything is going well for you both. :)))

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Itoga almost instantly stops his crying when Shutter picked him up. He still made scared whimpers, and hid his face against Shutter. He must have had a nightmare...

"Aww, isn't he the cutest!" The lab mare cooed quietly. She was still standing by the door. "May, I come in?" She asked. "I-I just don't wanna come in uninvited. Mama raised me better, ya know?"

"Oh, yes of course." She replied to the made fluttering her left wing to wave her over. She hadn't meant to leave the eccentric made by the door. The mentioning of her mother left Shutter thinking of her own.

She quickly dismissed the thought, however, their relationship was strange and frustrating to think about...and she rather not stir those waters right now.

"He is quite the cutie." Shutter agreed turning to where the mare could better see him. "Other than finding them" She began calmly choosing her words carefully."Do you have any other information about the ponies? Like if they are coming for him?" She refused to grant them title of 'parents'. Maybe she was being a bit harsh but, she just couldn't see the scenario of newly made parents misplacing their newborn. It seemed to deliberate to be true. She would have to question Sky about it.

She would also have to inform him of them. Shutter sighed that, she wasn't sure how he would react. She had two days to figure out how to tell him.

The mare entered with a smile. "Thank ya kindly!" She said as she moved closer to her colleague. "Actually, they said that they would want him to go to a more worthy family... They said that if they lost there child THIS easy, then maybe they aren't ready for such a thing. They do still want to see the little guy at least once." The mare looked down at Itoga. Instantly, a long 'daww' escaped from her lips. "He's even cuter up close!" She whispered.

Itoga calmed down completely now. He made a great effort to bring his front hooves up from under his blanket and bring one to his mouth. He nibbled at it, ever so gently. Just enjoying life.

Shutter nodded in understanding. Good. That was the least that they could do for Itoga now. She could feel herself calming down at this thought. When the lab mare first brought news of the little colt's parents it ignited something within her.

She was all but just preparing to fight with them on who should get custody of the foal. Though, it brought great relief that they were so willing to give him to a better home. She had to give them that much.

"That's good." She sighed. "Arrangements have already been made for him to be placed within a foster home." She grinned as the foal successfuly brought his hoof to his mouth. "And I would hate to have to tell his new foster father otherwise." She replied thinking of Sky.

News like that would probably have crushed the stallion. He seemed so excited about the whole ordeal. ...And to be completely honest with herself, so was she.

"Well! He's got a new papa already? Aww! Daddy's lucky, isn't he?" The mare cooed to the foal. "Well, I gotta get back to the lab to run tests... Ya know, that stuff. See ya around!" And with that, the mare turned and walked on out of the room leaving Shutter and Ito alone again.

Itoga, the little bundle of joy that he was, did what he did best. Being cute. The foal's little hoof (the one that isn't in his mouth) reached up and pointed at Shutter unknowingly. He fluttered his wings as best as he could under his blanket, and let out a loud set of babbles, muffled by his hoof. Drool and spit was all over his hoof and trickling down his cheeks.

"Heh. You're a messy one, eh?" She chuckled at the little blind baby in her arms. It woud be fun having him around the apartment, even if it was only for a little while. Sky as well. It had been so long since she last had a roommate and well, life in this bustling city could get lonely at times. Amidst her thoughts, Shutter grabbed a foal cloth and lightly dabbed at his mouth and hoof. "That's okay. I'll..." She paused thinking of the foal's new father. "We'll be here for you." She spoke as she gently touched his little hoof with her own, allowing him to feel it.

Just as soon as he was discharge from the hospital, things would have to be done. This included foal proofing the apartment and getting ready for Sky's return. Not to mention the impending visit of Ito's former parents.

((Should we preform a time skip soon? If so I could write it out in my next post or? I'm just curious :)))

(Okay! So we time skip. I have no clue how long of a skip you want to go for here, so... SeaJay, if you don't mind doing the skip in your post, then skip my turn here!)

~Time Skip~

Shutter hummed from her spot in front of the sink. It was late in the morning and she and her new little roommate had just finished breakfast. As she finished washing the said roommate's bottle, the mare stole a quick glance over the counter top. There in the living room laying on a pallet made from a two comfy blankets, laid a full Ito. She took extra care in making the little pallet for him. Choosing the blankets wisely and even placing the soft plush sheep that the hospital had given him upon his discharge, next to him. He seemed to like it and it gave her the opportunity to get things done around the apartment. She smiled as he seemed to be okay.

It had been two full days since Sky departed for Cloudsdale. She hoped he was alright. If she remembered correctly he was supposed to be arriving soon. She wasn't entirely sure. The days were running together it seemed. Ever since she was put in charge of the foal, sleep was a scarce source. It was to be expected though, he was a newborn after all. Shutter was entirely grateful for the days she was given off. She wasn't sure she would have gotten everything ready if she hadn't.

((There we go. :)))

(Alrighty then! Let's jump right back into the swing of things! :D )

Sky arrived at the Canterlot Airship station. It was the only way he would've been able to get his luggage here with him, though it wasn't much. Just some photographs of him and the Professor, his basic chemistry set, a couple of chemistry books, his regular travel luggage, some blankets, and a few nice dress shirts, all packed into one suitcase and his saddlebags. He'd left other furniture, like his bed, at the Professor's house. He didn't know how much space Shutter Lens' apartment had, and even so he'd probably be sleeping on a couch. Still, it was better than nothing. Pulling the note Shutter had written her address on, Sky began making his way through the streets, occasionally stopping a passerby to ask for directions.

He recalled the events of his time in Cloudsdale as he walked. Sky had arrived home to find the Professor drinking some tea in the dining room. When the Professor inquired about the foal Sky had told him about in his letter, he told him about how the foal, Itoga, was blind. Then, although it was tricky, Sky told the Professor about his plans to move to Canterlot so he could take care of Itoga, and that he would be staying with a very helpful nurse while he looked for a job and his own place. Chuckling, the Professor nodded and asked Sky if she was cute. Blushing, he nodded, and the Professor responded with more laughter. What he said next Sky could remember more clearly. "Well, my boy, it seems like you've got quite the adventure on your hooves! If you want one last lesson from me, it's that you should cherish every moment that you can." Then the Professor smiled one of the warmest smiles Sky had ever seen on him, before he added, "Now go get some rest, and we'll take care of everything else tomorrow! It may be a while before you get such rest again!"

The next day hadn't been quite as memorable. Everyone seemed extremely accepting of Sky's decision to quit and move, and it wasn't until he was saying his final goodbyes to a couple of friends that he learned the Professor had told them what had happened, before Sky even arrived.

Remembering that broke Sky's concentration on his tale for a bit. 'Had the Professor anticipated my decision?' He thought, 'No, impossible. The Professor didn't even know Itoga was blind!' and, having closed that tangent, he got back to his story.

There wasn't much more to recall. He and the Professor had gone to the Airship station together, and as it departed the Professor yelled to Sky, "I'm always here for you! Don't forget to write!", to which Sky replied "Of course I won't!" Sky thought he saw the Professor crying as he got farther away, though he couldn't be sure if he was remembering that part correctly. 'Stupid memory.' he muttered to himself.

"It's right behind you." a pony in front of Sky said. Apparently, he'd been asking everypony for directions so much it'd become almost autonomous. Looking behind himself, confused, Sky saw what did appear to be apartment building, and the address definitely matched up to what Shutter Lens had written.

"Ah, thank you very much," he replied, with a sheepish smile. Venturing inside and up to the door Shutter had inscribed, he knocked on the door, happy to have finally made it.

(Geez, I feel like this was underdone. Oh well. The story must go on! :mad: )

(I... Am... Sooo sorry! I was just out doing personal stuff. I'm going to be a foster parent soon! I just have to get my house ready for a new comer! I'm just really tired right now.)

Itoga was content. He had just finished his breakfast, he had his favorite plush beside him (Which had a bell in it.) and he was pretty warm and cozy! Things look good for Ito! Except for one thing... He didn't wanna be on his back right now. Ito rocked his body left and right, grunting as he did, trying to flip onto his belly. After a short time, he flipped onto his stomach and cooed in success! He felt around with his hoof for his sheep plush.

"Oh?" Upon the knocking, Shutter placed the now cleaned bottle on a drying wrack. A swell of excitement and releif flushed over her at the thought of it being the much awaited Sky. "Coming." She called while quickly using a hoof towel to dry her hooves before walking around the counter and to the door. On her way she passed by the content little Ito. "Did he run away from you again, lovey?" A breathy chuckle escaped as she nudged the run away toy closer to the  foal's prodding little hoof. She then continued her way to the door pasuing momentarily to stand a bit on the tip of her hooves to peep through the eye-hole in the door. A smile stretched on her face as she recogined those flashy ruby eyes. "Well, hello again, Stranger." She teased opening the door for the stallion. "Welcome home." Shutter greeted with a sweet smile side stepping to allow him access into th apartment. 

((Congrats Bass~! I'm so happy for you!! <3))

(Congratulations BassClef! :D )

"Hello to you too, Ms. Lens." Sky replied with a sarcastically fancy tone, and then without the sarcasm, or fanciness, he added "and thanks." Stepping inside, he stood his suitcase up and immediately saw Ito on the ground. Kneeling nearby, he said softly "Hey there Itoga. I'm back. Did you miss me?" Obviously not expecting much of a reply, he looked back to Shutter and asked, "Was he much trouble while I was gone?" He certainly hoped not, but he didn't know how much trouble a blind pegasus foal could be.

(Looks like our posting orders a little different now.  :razz: I'm okay with it if you two are.)

Hmm? What's going on? Itoga heard the door being opened, so he he had to listen in on what was happening. The nice lady sounded happy... And there was a stallion's voice... Familiar... But he Ito couldn't distinguish it right away. It was when Sky knelt down beside Ito that he realised who he was. It was the hero! He's back! Ito's fave lit up with a smile, and he let out a happy screech. Ito seemed to be healthy. No more sickies! Just a happy little Pegasus baby!

"Oh, he was fine. Other than the usual dealings that all newborns go through, he was a perfect little colt." She replied closing the door behind him and watching the interactions between the two. "I believe that is a yes." She chuckled at the excited little foal. He really did miss the stallion that was evident. And if she wasn't mistaken she could just see the little guy's face just light up with joy. "Can I get you anything?" She asked. Surely he must be tired from such a long morning.

Sky looked back at Ito after he gave his little, joyful screech and smiled. It made him really happy to see that Itoga was doing so well now, especially considering the colt's recent illness. It was hard to believe it had only been two days, and he was already doing so well. 'Itoga's strong, that's for sure.' Sky thought. In reply to Shutter's question, he said "I'm fine, thank you." Standing back up, the weight of his saddle bags reminded him that he was still carrying them. "But, where would you like me to set my bags?" He asked, looking around the room.

(Sorry if my post isn't as up to snuff as usual. Still dealing with a headache that won't go away on one of my busiest RP days yet.  :green: Also, figured I'd let one of you two describe the apartment.)

Itoga's attention now turned from the other ponies in the room, to his favorite toy! Er... Only toy, at the moment... He grabbed hold of the toy and sat up. When he was up, he took the toy and shook it. Making the bell inside of it tinkle. After shaking the toy, he brought it to his mouth and nibbled on its ear. The soft fabric was fun to chew on! The toy would have drool all over it by the time Ito would be done with it.

"Oh! Where are my manners?" Shutter inwardly chided herself. She looked down at the happy little foal munching on the now slightly drenched sheep's ear. "Come on, you." She bent down and scooped the pair up in her arms. "Let's go show Sky around." She turned to the stallion with a pleasant smile. "Right this way." She then turned and led the way out of the small living room. It yielding a comfy couch with a recliner and a coffee table that seemed to have been pushed over to make room for Ito's blanket.  "This is the kitchen." She motioned with her wing as they passed. The kitchen only being separated from the living room by a counter with two stools under it. She then went down a very short hall with three doors. A door on the right, left and at the end of the hall. "Here is the bathroom." With her wing she pushed open the door in the middle. It revealing a very simple and clean bathroom. "It's small but, I think we can manage." She stated bouncing the foal a bit in her arm. She then moved closer to the door on the left and opened it. "And finally this is your room." Shutter moved to the side to allow her new roommate to properly view his living quarters.

The room held a comfortable sized bed with a bedside table next to it with a very peculiar looking lamp placed on it. It looked to be made of old scrap metal and other bolts and pieces. Giving it a eccentric antique look. A wooden dresser located across from the bed against the other wall. Looking to the left one could see a window with white curtains and adjacent from that was a closet. And finally there near the window was a little crib for Ito. "I hope it isn't too small for you." She said watching for reaction from the stallion. She should have told him of the size of the apartment before hoof. Oh! How forgetful she was. She hoped this didn't put a damper on things.

Yes, the two room apartment was nothing too fancy in the least. However, it was home.

((I hope you feel better soon, Smart. <3 I'm sorry if I wasn't descriptive enough with the apartment. >.<))

(It looks great to me SeaJay. And thanks, I am feeling better, though I'm still not sure what caused the headache.)

Sky grabbed his suitcase as he followed Shutter throughout the house, admiring each room. They were each small, but it all felt so cozy. When she opened up the door to his room, he really felt at home. "No, it's great." he said, walking in to get a good feel for the room. He walked over to the bed, set his suitcase next to it and his saddlebags on top of it, and gave a sigh of relief. It felt good to not have to travel anymore. He was so content, he felt like he could have stood there for hours, but then he remembered he still had to get a job. His old boss and the Professor had each offered to write him recommendations, to which he'd humbly accepted, so he reached into his saddlebags and pulled the papers out. "I shouldn't waste too much time." He muttered. "Shutter, could you tell me where the apothecary and the school are? I want to get a job as soon as possible!" Sky could feel a little fire igniting in him. He was doing this! He was going to make this work!

Archived