Undertale

ZephyrBurst

You may have heard about this little gem by now that you can find on steam for only $10, or maybe not. Basically, anyone that is looking at this, I want you to play this game. It's an absolute joyful experience to have. Whatever you're doing, stop and play this instead. I had put it off after being nudged by quite a few people to play it. After having done so, I'm super glad they were so insistent on me playing this.

But why though? Well, I'm not even sure how to start this, the less you know about it, the better it is and more surprises the game has for you. Guess I'll start off with a synopsis. You play as a kid that falls into an underworld inhabited by monsters that were trapped there by humans a long time ago. You have to navigate the underworld and find a way out. It has your typical rpg stuff including the towns, npcs, and random encounters. However, it's anything but typical or standard.

One big thing in it is how the battles play out. You don't have to kill anyone ever. In fact, the game encourages you not to. You can talk your way out of any encounter, or in some cases, do other non-lethal actions. In one encounter, you'll be having a flexing contest with a horse-fish thing. In another, you may be cheering up a creature that feels its singing isn't adequate. Another thing are how you defend yourself from their attacks. The game turns into somewhat of a top-down shooter where you dodge through varying patterns of bullets (or in one case, a monster that is literally sweating bullets) Every monster and character have their own attacks, which can also play out as minigames of sorts.

The big thing for me were the wonderful characters and how memorable they were. Every one of them are great, even some of the random encounter monsters were super fun to encounter. Speaking of the random encounters for a moment, the rate they show up is often super low and I often found myself wondering what the next one would be like, and most of the time, looking forward to it showing up. Actually, this is the only game where I've ever looked forward to the next random encounter.

There's just so much charm and love put into this game through its characters and story telling. I had a genuine smile through most of it and there were quite a few laughs as well.

I love Undertale. It's an instant classic. The best part is that the game plays you, you don't play the game. Often, you'll learn a lot about yourself just playing it. It has an interesting message and it's certainly very interpretive, all sugar coated with amazing characters and a fantastic sense of humor.

Definitely worth playing!

Archived