Time at the Salon (Skype log, Finished)

Blueblood

Princess Celestia was always slightly busy, never seeming to have any time to herself, or her family and friends. Between ruling Equestria in the day, to running a school, diplomacy and the like, it was tiresomework. She really only had time to interact with her sister, and even that seemed at times minimal. However, the one pony she never really seemed to have time for was her nephew Prince Blueblood, whom, apparently became a princess rather recently. She wore a devilish smirk as she decided it was time to catch up with her nephew and called upon him[or rather her] for a day out. Naturally because he was now a she, the princess booked a reservation at her favorite nondescript salon, and made her way to the Prince's home.

Upon arriving she gave a knock at the door and announced herself to the staff at his home that she was there to pick him up. Naturally they tried to tell the princess what had happened, but Celestia, knowingly, cut them off and instructed them to just summon the Prince for their long awaited time together.

~

Prince Blueblood had, at best, a tense relationship with his Auntie Celestia, and this was mostly his fault.  After all, when one claims familial relation based on royal rank, and then forgets to respect one's elders... well, let's just say that Celestia had exercised the patience of a saint in not disowning him.

But, said patience was bearing its fruit, in making a certain pony less unbearable.  Blueblood was changing, becoming a different pony altogether.  For the most part, he was a willing participant in these changes, but this latest one, which involved him not exactly being a "him" was, to be fair, a little much.

"Princess Bluebelle," as she had decided her current self would be called, sighed as the maid brought up word of Auntie's arrival.  "I suppose it couldn't be put off forever.  I hope she doesn't take the news... badly."  What 'badly' would mean in this context, she hardly knew, but she went downstairs, trying not to look like a mare condemned to be hanged.

"Oh, hello Auntie."  She greeted Celestia, trying to be as casual as possible.  Perhaps if she acted normal, this whole awkward business could be pasted over.  Or maybe this was all a dream, prank of Auntie Luna.  Whatever kept her from babbling

~

As the "prince" made his way to the recieving room of his estate, she very clearly tried to play it cool, which naturally, Celestia would have to do the opposite. All the while the butler trying to tell the Princess what had happened, eventually the Princess had to break character and whisper to him with a smirk "I know," and with a start the butler seemed to finally understand.

As Blueblood, or rather Bluebelle came into view and greeted her auntie as cooly as she could, Princess Celestia wore a look of surprise as best as she could. "Greetings Blue...." there she stopped "Oh my! Whatever happened to my nephew?" She said with clearly forced surprise. "Are you sure you are Blueblood, or are you one of his mares?" She said playfully, while desperately trying to keep a straight face.

~

It had been a vain hope.  Clearly, Celestia was not going to pass up the occasion to make a bit of a fuss.  Really, Blue should have known better.  She sighed, not looking forward to giving the explanation again.

"Look, I don't know what you've heard, but this was all a magical accident- wait, hold on, what do you mean, one of 'my mares'?"  The last phrase had struck a bit of nerve, as she was pretty sure it had reference to one of half a dozen completely unsubstantiated rumors that circulated in the tabloids.

~

Clearly offended the "prince" made reference to the jab that Celestia made. "Do you mean to tell me that the tabloids are comple..te..ly... false..." she couldn't keep the ruse up any more and she started to slowly giggle before finishing the sentence, and at the end finally breaking down almost into full tilt laughter.

"My apologies my nephew... or is it niece now?" She said wiping away a tear. "I simply could not help pretending that I knew nothing. Honestly I had wanted to have Luna and Cady come along so we could have a girls day out together, but unfortunately neither was available." Celestia said playfully with a wink. "I have been looking forward to spending the day with you for sometime though, I've been hearing many good things about you lately and wished to catch up." Celestia switched to being rather sincere, honestly seeing the look on 'her' face was rather telling of how she felt about all of this, and even though this was not the last time she was going to have fun with her this day, she did not wish for it to eclipse the true nature, which was to catch up with her now neice.

~

So... she knew all along, did she?  Blueblood had never been a chess player, but even he had known better than to challenge Celestia.  There were just some sorts of beatings that a sense of self-respect never recovered from.

Thus abandoning her attempt to out fox her auntie, Bluebelle sighed, and waited for the storm of laughter to pass.  "Frankly, neither nephew nor niece seems to fit right in my head right now."  She shook her head, running a hoof through her mane.  she paused, looking at her locks.  Limp, ragged.  Something needed to be done about that.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.  "Well, it has been a while, hasn't it?"  She tried for and managed to produce a small smile.  "I suppose I should get some fresh air, at least.  I've been holed up, defending the house against reporters.  It's been taking its toll on me."

~

Celestia said as she noticed Princess Bluebelle fiddling with her mane. She could only smile knowingly as she looked upon this. Even if Princess Bluebelle didn't know what to consider herself as right now, she clearly had at least some marish tendencies. With the remark about the reporters, which Celestia had been dealing with her entire trip there, and her Royal Guard escourt having their hooves full she decided to pull out her secret weapon.

Celestia instantly opened up both of her saddle bags, revealing hooded cloaks. "Here, put this on, we have a ways to walk, and you and I both would rather avoid reporters, especially if we are going to ditch the escourts that followed me here." Celestia smiled "Naturally if you'd prefer we use the guards and ditch the cloaks we could do that as well" Celestia put on her cloak which concealed not only her wings and etheral mane but her cutie mark as well. She still had her height and horn, but there were still other unicorns in Canterlot that had a tall stature with a horn like Celestia's so she was not worried so long as her defining features as a princess were hidden.

~

It was a measure of the limits of Blue's imagination that she had never put any thought into concealing clothing.  Perhaps it was because the hooded cloak is eternally unfashionable, at least when made with rough brown material.  On the other hoof, no pony would ever suspect a pony from House Blueblood would ever wear such a thing...

"You know, Auntie, that sounds like an excellent idea."  She said, though her enthusiasm was tempered by the thought of having to wear something like that.  But, she donned it anyhow.  It certainly was good at concealing the figure, even one like Bluebelle's.  With her somewhat closer-to-average height, almost no signifying features could be determined.

"Is it... very far, to where we are going?"  The 'princess' remarked, trying to avoid looking at her reflection.  The change had done nothing to reduce her vanity, it seemed.  Quite the opposite, if anything

~

Bluebelle seemed reluctant to wear the cloak, but did so anyway. Celestia giggled at the thought of such a simple cloak putting Bluebelle out of her comfort zone. 

At Bluebelle's query Celestia smiled and shook her head "It isn't terribly far, however to avoid people we aren't taking a direct route, so the path is a bit longer than it would normally be. I'm sure you remember the path we used to take from Canterlot Castle to the rear gate of this estate..." Celestia paused for a moment to allow Bluebelle to remember. "The path is an off shoot of that as the place we are heading is not too far from Canterlot Castle, and naturally we will enter through the 'secret' enterance of the place we are going." Celestia made a point to not reveal the details of where they were going, but if Bluebelle remembered that path there were only a few things on the way that they could goto together to have a nice outing.

~

Bluebelle did remember the path, though she couldn't quite recall what was on the way.  Gardens?  Maybe they were just going to smell the roses?  Well, that made sense, she supposed.  Auntie was always big on the simple pleasures.  

"Alright, then."  Bluebell started to trot towards the door, but tripped on the hem of her robe and face-planted.  "Oof!"  She cried out from her very undignified position.  "I... need to remember that walking is different in this body."

She got up quickly enough, with dignity in tatters, but she pressed on bravely, without any further spillage.  "Entrance... I suppose you're not talking about the gardens, then."

~

Seeing Bluebelle fall flat, even the princess had her limits, while she enjoyed pranking ponies, and playing with their misconceptions of her, laughing at a pony's misfortune was not something she would do. At least she wouldn't show it outwardly.... She  dusted her off with her hoof gently after Bluebelle had gotten up. "Are you alright Bluebelle...?" Celestia paused, realizing that calling her by that name might be a surprise, though perhaps not considering that she was made privvy to the situation.

Celestia naturally lead the way, ensuring to avoid, not only her guards, but also tha paparazzi that they were currently fending off. It was a lovely diversion really, but it wouldn't take long for the guards to realize that they were set up... again... and immediately send out a search party. 

A while later they arrived at a rather nondescript door with a sliding door for just eyes. With a rhythmic knock Celestia tapped on the door. The eye hole opened and upon setting eyes on the princess the door immediately opened. And the pony at the door graciously greeted the Princess thanking her once again for her patronage.

Inside was a rather lavish beauty parlour and spa, with marble columns cascading falls and a rather scerene atmosphere. Celestia inquired to the pony whom opened the door if all the necessary arrangements for their visit had been made, which is to say that the place was rented out for two hours ensuring no other pony other than select staff would be around. 

Celestia turned to Bluebelle and whispered "I figured it would be best to do something outside of the public's eye" she said with a wink.

~

Upon hearing her new name on Auntie Celestia's lips, the Princess shot her a look, which was hidden under the shadows of her hood.  "Did Twilight tell you about this?"  It would make sense if she did, the former student being in good correspondence with her mentor and fellow Princess.  But... that might mean the full circumstances might have gotten to her as well.  Being sick invites pity, but when illness is resulting from having a compromised immune system from a wild night on the town with the Princess of the Night... well, one might say that an accidental gender swap was only karma.

With those troubling thoughts, Blue followed her aunt through the twisting byways, not looking around, for fear that would attract the attention of the dreaded press.  It was, therefore, a little while before she realized her surroundings.  "Wait... I know this place..."  She muttered, before the door was opened, admitting the two princesses into the salon.

"Oh, yes!  I've been here before..."  She paused, realizing how that sounded.  Clearing her throat, she specified.  "They, ah, are good at giving lessons.  And securing supplies.  You need connections to get, ah, really good conditioner."

~

Celestia smirked at Bluebelle's query. It was true Princess Twilight contacted her about it.  A gender swap from treating an ailment was not the most common of things, so Twilight had asked her mentor about it. She didn't go into the details, but it did not take long over all to find the full details. Still, it was not the worst Blueblood, or rather Bluebelle had ever done, so to bring it up was not a real concern. "I did hear it from Twilight, but fear not she did not disclose all the details... " Celestia stopped explaining there, as she heard the story of the night before from her sister, but left the question of how much she knew in the air.

Upon arrival Bluebelle expressed that she knew the place. "You do?" Celestia asked with some surprise.

As she followed up and tried to cover up how it sounded, Celestia figured out the real reason, and naturally decided to bring it forth. "So apparently you had a mareish side before you became Bluebelle." Celestia said with a devilish smirk "Had I known I would have invited you the previous occasion I patroned this establishment."

~

Hm, well, if Twilight didn't disclose all the details, than neither would Bluebelle.  Not unless asked, of course; Auntie wouldn't appreciate prevarication.  Nor would avoiding the question be any good anyway, from the way in which she had of getting at the heart of the matter.

Blue sighed, partly at the relief of getting free of the tacky robe, and partly in frustration at her auntie's sense of humor.  "I never particularly saw why a certain degree of care in one's looks should be exclusive to one sex.  After all, if one's overall purpose is best served by looking good, one ought to make every effort.  Noblesse oblige, and all that.  I just wanted to be able to do the necessary maintenance in-house, so to speak, rather than having to go out every other week.  I came here to learn how to do that."

She gave a little wave to one of the staff, wondering if she would remember him.  Her.  Bleah, this was confusing.

~

Celestia smiled "You know you had ponies around who could have shown you such things... I can tell you it isn't easy taking care of my mane" She said with a smile, and really having an etheral mane was not easy to maintain. "There was no need to try and maintain your image among family" Celestia looked at her wave at a pony. 

"That said, there is nothing wrong with mares or stallions coming to places like these. Though, usually, when I come I do have the place to myself, like we do now, so it is not like I'm aware of the full clientelle of this spa." The time for small talk was almost coming to a close, but they could really engage in catching up when they actually started their spa day. "So since this is my treat to you, what would you like to start off with... just keep in mind I requested minimal staff considering you being Bluebelle." Celestia might be a prankster but she was at least conscientious...

~

"Hm...  well, you will recall there was a time before we were really... close in any kind of way."  It was true.  Before his parents had died, Blueblood had regarded Celestia as a more distant figure, only vaguely associating them together based on rank.  It was only after his parents died that he called her Auntie.  She was, in fact, at that point the only thing left that he could call family.  Even then, it took a while before they could talk candidly on any subject.  At least, as equals.  He'd gotten a couple of lectures on not being a pompous snob on certain memorable occasions.

"In any case, there are some things a stallion prefers to do himself."  Not that that applied anymore.  Frankly, after the stress of the past week or so, it would take very little inducement for her to surrender herself into the care of the staff entirely.  "I think... a massage, to start with.  I've been running on nervous energy for too long now."

~

Celestia nodded at her words. It was true, they never really were close. The prince was more or less brought up by the castle staff. Celestia was always too busy, especially since Luna was not around to raise the moon and take care of the night, so often Celestia pulled double duty and nary had time to rest. 

Celestia wasn't exactly sure how to respond to Bluebelle's response to doing things on her own. Celestia knew the feeling all too well, especially since for so long she didn't really ask for any help after StarSwirl the Bearded had passed on, and her most trusted adviser was no longer by her side. 

She did nod at the request for a massage though. "A massage does sound nice. I'm sure becoming a mare has been rough for you. You know, if you'd like I could place a few more guards at your estate to deal with the paparazzi until Twilight's magic wears off..."

~

The staff, bless them, had probably been able to predict her preferences just by the look of her.  They must have seen enough stressed mares in their time to be able to determine Bluebelle's own state, and the proper remedy.

Thus, it took very little time for the tables to be prepped, and the warm room to admit the pair into the caring hooves of the two masseuses.  "Ah... Pumice, was it?  Yes, I remember you from before.  Do you still do that wonderful thing with the hit rocks?  Perfect."

She sighed, finally starting to relax under the care of the Salon.  "Hmmm... more guards... yes, that would be nice, as long as they were willing to take orders from my own Honor Guard captain.  You know her, Star Crusader?  Duchess of Fet Loch's daughter?"  There was a pause, and then a sigh.  "You saw her fish me out of the High King's antlers."

~

Perhaps it was the massage, or perhaps it was the stress, but for Blueblood, or in this case, Bluebelle to bring up a memory of her own shortcoming, it was rather rare. "That would be only natural. Much like how my personal guards know my needs..." Celestia paused and said under her breath "and disregard my request for time alone at times"... Clearing her throat and continuing as normal "your honor guard is the same. And it wouldn't be like I'd be sending ranking officers whom would take issue with that." Celestia said with a smile. "Speaking of the High King, he did offer you a rematch if you so desired... are you planning on taking him up on that? Though I'm not sure that would be conducive to IMAGINE."

Celestia continued talking as the masseuse used heated rocks to relax the princess of the sun. A treatment she often requested as it does wonders for loosening tense muscles. As the princess melted into what seemed a puddle of relaxation as the massage progressed she looked over at Bluebelle having her massage "Have you ever had them use the heated rocks? It is rather lovely."

~

Bluebelle nodded.  She didn't think it would be any trouble, but then, one had to be sure.  It was important that she have peace in her house, given all the chaos that seemed to be trying to invade it at every opportunity.

"I'll say she is!"  The Princess was apparently going to wax effusive on the subject of Star Crusader.  "I don't know whether it was you, or the Duchess that assigned her to me, but that was inspired, let me tell you.  Sure, she may not smile much, but she's steady as a mooring post, and that means a lot when you're battered by the waves of life.  I mean, after this transformation, she didn't even bat an eye, but showed me how to walk without tripping over my back hooves."  

It must have been the massage; no other explanation could be for Bluebelle opening up.  Unless there was something in the fact that a niece and aunt could talk more freely than a nephew and aunt.  "As for a rematch... no, thank you.  I've had enough of such stuff.  Oooohhhh...."  Pumice had apparently started the hot rocks on her own back.

"Mmmm... once before, yes.  She wasn't quite so good at it last time, though.  Left a red mark I noticed afterwards."

• 2 weeks later...
Celestia listened intently to Princess Bluebelle with a quiet smirk. She quietly recalled one of Twilight's friends, Rainbow Dash trying to get a reaction from her guards, and finally doing so with the aid of her pet phoenix Philomina. She replied, while still giggling "My guards are very much the same, though I hear protecting royalty is a big responsibility," she gave a pause as she glanced over at Bluebelle who seemed to be rather enjoying the massage and hot stones therapy. "Though, a serious demenor is not a bad thing, and it was good that you had help during this time."

As the conversation progressed it dawned on Celestia that this was the longest convorsation that Blueblood (or Bluebelle rather) have had together in many moons. It was rather nice, as Bluebelle responded to the query about the challenge from the High King. "Heh, I cannot fault you for that. He is a rather imposing leader. I am glad that he endeavors for peace rather than war." 

At the last statement of Bluebelle it gave Celestia pause "The heated stones left marks? That is rather odd, I've never had such an issue. Perhaps it is because I'm the "sun" princess, that the heated stones do not harm my light coat." Celestia said jokingly. "Though speaking of IMAGINE... how is that going? You represented Equestria at the World Friendship Fair in Manehattan did you not?" the princess queried.

~

The stoic and unflappable nature of the Royal Guard had long since passed into a proverb.  It was nonetheless true for all that.  Not that the REA as a whole was full of wooden-faced officers; Blueblood had known a few personally who were quite expressive and outgoing.  Still, when one is going through a very stressful situation... calm, quiet support is sometimes the best.

Or rather, second best.  Massages were definitely the best, when done right.  And this one was definitely being done right. "Hm... yes, I suppose I did."  Bluebelle replied.  "Nopony showed up; the foreigners were all manning their own booths, and I suppose the guests were more attracted to the exotic."  That was, at any rate, the explanation she was going with.  All the others were much too ego-deflating.

"As for IMAGINE... I've been trying to get the founders to coordinate, but it's been tough.  Besides my own... issues right now, one of the others is getting married.  Ah, thank you, Pumice."  The mare nodded to the masseuse, who was concluding her sacred work.  "That was a good start to today."

From the blissful look on her face, Celestia could probably tell that Bluebelle no longer had any reservations about spending a day with Auntie at the salon.

~

Celestia looked at Bluebelle who seemed to have a look of defeat talking about the fair "Well, not every event will be a success. Perhaps there just weren't enough foreign ponies around that were intertested in Equestria. Still I'm sure you'll have other opportunities." The princess consoled Bluebelle. "And as for IMAGINE, it will do great things I'm sure, but I'm not sure if your current issues prevent you from doing good from the shadows. You need not be in the limelight to make a difference," the princess explained plainly "I'm sure you know how much I enjoy doing things in secret." Celestia said with a mischevious wink. Most ponies that dealt with Celestia knew she was usually a step or two ahead of most ponies.

"This place has a lovely hot spring. Have you ever been in it?"

~

Ah, yes.  Celestia's secret services.  Bluebelle actually had mixed feelings about those.  It seemed somehow... unsporting to pull another pony's levers from behind a curtain.  She didn't say this out loud, not wanting to introduce a discordant note.  The Princess only shrugged ambivalently and said, "Well, I can't really say secretive has been my style.  I've trained all my life to live in public; being cloistered for the past week has been more trying even than the change itself."

She blinked at the open admission.  Up until then, she hadn't realized it fully.  But there it was, in the open.  She wondered why that was; was it that Prince Blueblood's lifestyle was not gender-specific, and so switching did not force so large a change?  That sort of question was not one she felt intellectually equipped to handle.

Auntie's next one was, however.  "Oh, yes!  The springs are wonderful, very restorative!  Just the sort of thing I could do with right now."

~

Celestia nodded in response to Bluebelle, she was going to go into more specifics, however, that may best be served for when they are settled in the hot springs. With that thought Celestia got up and gave a couple of bits to her masseuse and streched out to get ready to move on to the next locale at the hot springs.

"Since it is decided, shall we head forth? We can talk more when we are settled in there." Celestia smiled "I think you are more open when you're relaxed." Really,  Celestia could not remember a time when Blueblood opened up to her as much as this. Perhaps it was the salon, or perhaps it was Blueblood being a mare, it really didn't matter. For the first time in ages, Celestia felt closer to her nephew... or neice...

~

There were probably multiple reasons why Bluebelle was more open to Celestia than Blueblood had been.  Part of it was probably due to the fact that it had been such a long time since they'd really talked; he'd been through a lot since then.   He'd made some real friends, for one thing, and had therefore learned to be more open.

But the change from Blueblood to Bluebelle probably also had something to do with it.  Mares and stallions are instinctually more candid around their themselves than with each other.  And having all the stress kneaded out of her definitely capped it off!

"Very well then, let's go."  It was a short walk; the back door of the masseuse opened directly into the baths.  The smell of hot mineral water filled the air, in a way that both relaxed and braced.  Gently, the Princess eased herself into the nearest hot spring, sighing in utter contentment.  "Oh... yes, now... what was it you wanted to talk about?"  While she was more open, she was still a little nervous.  The conversation was striking out into deep waters.

~

Celestia followed Bluebelle's lead into the hotspring. Celestia took a deep breath in of the mineral-filled air as she slowly lowered herself into the spring. All the tensions of the world just seemed to melt away. The only thing that could have made it better would have been a band playing some soothing music, but Celestia knew that the instruments probably wouldn't be able to survive the room conditions.

"This need for being in the public... Perhaps it is because I was in the public's eye so often, that I became more appreciative of doing things, both large and small for my fellow pony in secret." Celestia began to elaborate on what she truely meant without pretense. "When you do something and they don't know it is you who did it, seeing their face is the greatest reward. Knowing you did something to benefit another with no hope of compensation or repayment. The greatest part of doing that, is that it inspires others to do the same. Even something as simple as paying for a pony's meal at a restaurant can have a big impact." Celestia paused and looked at her niece "You are embarking on a grand endeavor, and while you can accomplish many great things with IMAGINE, you can also accomplish much as Prince Blueblood or Princess Bluebelle, and no pony has to know, and that act, no matter how big or small, will make the world better."

~

"Well, that's easy for you to say."  The words came out of Bluebelle's mouth before her brain could stop them.  That was the disadvantage of being relaxed.  Sooner or later, control over your muscles slipped, the tongue being among them.  Realizing her predicament, she immediately tried to shift into damage control mode.

"What I mean to say is... look, you've had experience in this sort of thing.  You take one look at a pony and you know just the sort of thing that will do them good, and you do it.  Do you think everypony can just do that sort of thing?  It's one thing to do good in secret, but if, say, you got it wrong, you'd be doing harm in secret, and that's just... well."

She had to pause, to take a deep breath.  Her conversation was approaching dangerously close to her deeper insecurities.  Of course, with her 1,000 years of experience, Celestia could probably fill in the gaps for herself.  Her niece was worried; and perhaps she had a right to be.  After all, her first attempt at a goodwill mission had ended strung between the antlers of the High King.

~

Celestia giggled at the princess's retort. Little did she know that things were rarely easy, even for Celestia. At first, even raising the sun took work until Celestia was able to do it as easy as she breathes. "My dear niece, that is only what it seems." Celestia smiled warmly as she sunk lower in the water. "Things are rarely easy, even for me. When I try and help a pony I'm taking a gamble every time. And the gambles don't always pay off. I'm sure you'll remember the Tirek incident. In an effort to end it quickly I took a chance and trusted Discord, which did not turn out well... at least until Twilight was able to turn my mistake into a strength."

Celestia rarely had issues talking of her shortcomings, she never really thought of herself as perfect like some may revere her as. Instead she sees herself as any other pony... One who takes chances and learns from failure. "In fact, had I never made mistakes, I would not be as the pony I am now. No successful pony never failed. If you never failed, you never tried something new. The key is to learn from your failures and grow from them." Celestia paused "And though the duel with the High King did not go as you had hoped, I'm sure you learned from it. And unlike myself, you did not make a social faux pais in trying to intervene where it was not needed or wanted. In fact, true to a good diplomat, despite making a mistake by doing something that offended the host species, you resolved it according to their tradition, which is to be applauded."

Celestia looked at Bluebelle "Yes you will fail, many times, but in the end you will be a better pony for it. Never doubt yourself. You are just as capable as I am."

~

"I suppose..."  It had taken years, but Blueblood had eventually gotten through his ivory skull the idea that arguing with Auntie was a pointless endeavor.  Best to concede her points, then make one's own.  "Well, if I've got a lot of mistakes ahead of me, it seems... more sporting to make them in public.  It's hard to tell, sometimes, that you've made them unless somepony else points them out to you."

That was a mild way of saying that Prince Blueblood had for years had his head in a place where he could get no view of his own shortcomings.  And as much as Bluebelle now knew about hers, it was probably a wise policy to keep her behavior where other ponies could hold her accountable.

~

Princess Celestia long knew of Blueblood's insecurities and shortcomings, and yet Bluebelle in this short time was continuing to shed new light on the direction the direction Blueblood  wanted to take. Still, despite Celestia chiding her nephew when he was not exactly a proper prince, or even a decent pony, she still cared for him, and wished him to be the best that he (and now she) could be. "Not every mistake needs to be public, and not every mistake needs to be pointed out. If you look for them, there will always be signs of the good, or ill that you have done. You just need to look a little harder." Celestia gave some wisdom to her niece. 

Speaking of that, Celestia was not so callous to keep on this method of convorsation, she had gotten what she needed and if Bluebelle (or Blueblood) ever came to her for help, she hoped that this outing would at least show that she would be there for her...or him. "I do see that you aren't quite up to continuing this conversation though. Other than this unexpected turn of events... how is everything else? I've heard that you've made some aquaintences that you might be able to call 'friends.'"

~

Catharsis was as therapeutic as hot mineral water; and this spa was well-stocked with both, it seemed.  At any rate, Bluebelle was glad to get that off her chest, and leave the conversation topic there, sloughed off with the rest of the stress.

On to the consideration of more pleasant matters!  The new Princess was more cheerfully forthcoming on the subject of friends.  "I do call them friends, Auntie.  There's not many of them, I admit, but some I can really count on.  Fire Walker and Dunder Blust were the first, I think.  At least, we went adventuring together when I... was trying to find out what became of my father."

She cleared her throat, or at least that's what she would have said that the sound was.  It was a little bit before she moved on.  "And then there's Java.  Well, you might know him as Voronoi Fractal; we met on a boat trip and... well, that did not start in the most promising way.  Thanks to help from Twilight though, we are friends.  I've gotten to know his family quite well, actually.  And, of course, there's my co-founders of IMAGINE, Snowfall and Countess Frostlace."  

Altogether that was... around half a dozen or so.  Not bad, all things considered

~

Celestia listened intently as the sides of her mouth slowly turned up into a smile. She signaled to the pony in charge of the spa to get her some tea. She listened to Bluebelle intently while she talked about her friends.

"One true friend is worth more than a thousand false ones." Celestia replied when she stated she didn't have many "No one can be expected to be friends with everypony, the important thing is that you have friends of quality." And then the topic of her parents came up... Well this was never easy, and even Celestia did not know. All she could do is indulge Blueblood's efforts for finding them. "I do hope you find some clues to your father's whereabouts. I'm sure they were great allies in your quest for answers." 

After that slighly solumn moment, she continued about her other friends, specifically a pony that Celestia was familiar with Voronoi Fractal. An interesting fellow to say the least. "I'm glad that you were able to become friends with Java through the help of Twilight. You two seem to be getting closer." She paused looking at Bluebelle. "I know this seems like an awkward time to ask this question. But in all of that, you mentioned a few mares, but never anything about a fillyfriend...." Awkwardness aside, an aunt was still an aunt, and she was curious.

~

Bluebelle had to agree with Celestia about quality being more important than quantity, as far as friends were concerned.  Faust knew that there were many false friends of Princes and Princesses alike; and a lot of a certain Prince's misbehavior could be attributed to his never having seen the genuine article.

An equal portion could be attributed also to his upbringing.  Even now, that had bred in Bluebelle a rather ambivalent attitude towards her parents.  Still... one should not speak ill of one's immediate family, or the dead.  "I... found his last journal.  And the remains of the airship they went down in."  It was enough in her mind to confirm that they weren't coming back.

Celestia tacked the subject slantwise to the solemn gales, however, asking if Bluebelle had made any actual progress towards getting a fillyfriend.  "You know, it's odd that you mention that.  I've noticed that quite a few mares who didn't use to pay me much heed have displayed significant evidence of attraction.  I suppose that might be because of their preferences, but I don't know..."  She stood up in the pool, water flowing down her coat like Apaphropony rising from the sea.  "Do you think I actually look better as a mare?  The possibility crossed my mind, but it's hard to make comparisons between points so close to perfection."

~

Celestia listened to Bluebelle's melancholy recounting of his last adventure to find his father, which resulted in him discovering a journal with the last entry and the wreckage of his father's airship. Celestia could only nod in response "I see... That is unfortunate." Celestia really couldn't say much more. 

Luckily the question posed lead the conversation to happier waters. Bluebelle spoke about some recent prospects for a fillyfriend. "That isn't odd at all. You are probably becoming more aware, or at the very least receptive to other ponies." Celestia replied to Bluebelle's confusion, as she got up asking about her physical looks. Celestia giggled at this "I'm probably not the right pony to ask. However..." Celestia gave a brief pause "I do not think your looks /improved/, you just look like a female version of yourself. No better or worse. Perhaps some may claim that your mane and coat may suit a more marish look, either way truly suits you." Celestia looked at Bluebelle dead in the eye "Really, what I think changed was not your looks to make you more attractive, but your attitude and personality. Ponies are far more perceptive than you think. The strides you have made in trying to be a better pony have made you a better pony, and ponies notice that." Celestia said with a proud smile.

~

"Hm..."  The spa staff returned with the tea.  The steaming liquid smelled of rosewater, adding to the overall atmosphere of the place.  Bluebelle leaned back against the rock edge of the pool, sipping her tea as she listened to her Aunt's assessment.  "I suppose... My honor guard told me that the efforts that I put into my looks seem less artificial now that I'm a mare.  I think that may just be gender bias, though.

"Thing is... if you're right about character improvements being the reason, either I've suddenly gotten better at noticing, or mares have suddenly noticed.  I will say, I didn't know Twilight Sparkle was actually attracted to mares, before I saw the looks she was giving me."

• 1 month later...

Celestia sipped the newly brought tea. and relaxed while she listened to Bluebelle analyze herself (or at least parrot what her honor guard has told her). "I'm not quite sure how the upkeep of your appearance was ever considered superficial. Many ponies these days put at least some effort into their own personal appearance, stallions are no different." Celestia was thinking of much of the Canterlot elite, whom often put a great deal of effort into their outward appearance.

When Bluebelle said that Twilight was into mares Celestia could not help but laugh. "I do think you have mistook Twilight's looks, but I cannot say for certain. Though from what I have seen, if something unforseen happens, like you turning into a mare, she tends to analyze it quite intently. That is likely the source of those looks. I've also heard rumors that she has gone on at least a couple of dates with stallions. I cannot speak wholly to her preferences as I am not her."

~

"Well... there's been several times I've heard ponies call me not quite stallion-like in how I've styled myself, so I don't know."  She shrugged, sipping her tea again.  "Perhaps I'll see about growing a beard or something if or when I ever get back."

Bluebelle was not about to have her confidence in her assessment's shaken by Auntie's laughter.  "Oh, I've gotten enough admiring looks to tell the difference between attraction and academic interest!  Not that I plan to follow up on it in Twilight's case.  Besides the initial look, I don't think there's much interest there; and I don't she's my type, anyhow."

~

"Not quite Stallion-like?" Celestia repeated Bluebelle's words, not quite sure what to make of it. She has been at many high profile events with stallions looking "marish" but nopony ever giving it second thought. "Everypony has their own personal sense of style, and that style should match what they personally like. Whether a stallion looks 'marish' or a mare looks 'stallionish'.... it is all relative. I was not even aware people described styles as such, though perhaps they just do not discuss such things with their esteemed princess...." Celestia pondered that thought for a moment, wondering how much was thought about but not said to her because of who she was. Celestia was no mind reader and much of what she heard she had to pry after hearing but whispers.

At Bluebelle's analysis of Twilight's reaction she could only shake her head. "I'm not sure you have spent enough time around Twilight. She is not your average mare." She said giggling at the thought of Twilight making such advances. "While I do not think she would be unwilling to try a relationship with a mare, I do think, even if she was admiring your new appearance, it was not one of attraction." Celestia had known Twilight for quite some time, and she watched her grow in more ways than one. She was at least somewhat confident that her knowledge of Twilight was greater than Bluebelle's analysis of mare's admiration and attraction.

~

"Hm, that is the thing about Royalty.  There's not many ponies who address matters directly with us.  I never heard most of what was said about me until it was pasted all over the papers.  And even then, I tended not to pay much attention to them.... at first.  It added up, after a while."  Now that Bluebelle thought of it, maybe that was how snobbishness persisted only among the refined ponies.  More common sorts would imply call them out on that kind of behavior.

"Speaking of direct conversation, though, Auntie... did you ever actually sit down and ask Twilight to what she was and was not attracted?"  Bluebelle had as much faith in her own judgment as her Auntie did in hers, and would be prepared to bet on it.  Heck, she'd be content to lose the bet just to hear that conversation...

~

"Most of what I hear is through whispers, or trusted consorts... so to speak." Celestia paused "It is however interesting to see what ponies discuss amongst themselves, and how they change in the presence of royalty. I do try my best to make ponies comfortable around me, but it never seems to be enough." Celestia stated rather plainly clearly troubled. This was one of her biggest issues with her stature in society, no matter what she did or how she acted, ponies always seemed to just... treat her as a princess... Even when she was making a social visit. "As for papers, you can't always go by what they say, and not all ponies will take a tabloid at face value, which we should all be thankful for."

Celestia paused with Bluebelle's query... "Such discussions never really came up, but allow me to ask you something..." Celestia paused "If you saw a pony every day for years, and watched their growth both socially and academically, do you not think you'd notice their social interactions?" Celestia smiled "I know I certainly did, which is why she was sent to Ponyville in the first place. I'm sure she could tell you that herself as well. "Unless you are suggesting that I am oblivious to such matters..."

~

So to speak... yeah, it was good thing that Celestia said that, otherwise Bluebelle would be led into a whole other mare's nest of questions.  "Well, from my own experience making a fool of yourself strips away many ponies' reticence.  I will say, that most of my friends are either high-born enough not to be over-awed, or the sort that wouldn't be awed anyhow."  She kept silence on the subject of the tabloids.  It was true that 80% of it was bosh, but the other 20% was not only true, but the sort of thing that wasn't reported accurately anywhere else.  That was the secret of the whole business.

Blueblood had come to learn this by actually finding out that his father had owned shares in a tabloid paper.  There were things that even Auntie wasn't in a position to know.  Speaking of which... "I'm not suggesting that you're oblivious to such matters.  I'm suggesting that Twilight was oblivious to such matters, until she was no longer under your constant supervision.  It's been five years, I think?  Ponies can change a lot in that time.  Case in point..."  And here Bluebelle waved over her body, to indicate all the changes that she had gone through in the past 5 years.  Gender swapping wasn't the half of it...

~

"I have shown many times that I am not so high-brow..." Celestia looked at Bluebelle and was curious of how she, or rather he, had played the fool in the past... "But I cannot say that I've played the fool, or been made to look foolish... or foalish either. Still it is difficult. I have gotten close to some ponies that are not upper crust and show their true selves to me, which is rather nice." Celestia smiled warmly of those ponies she has met in the past at events like the Running of the Leaves, Nightmare Night, and even occasionally at events around Canterlot.

"Yes, it has been a few years, but even with that, we have not grown so distant." Celestia was never more than a letter away from her former student, and up until very recently, Twilight had been sending her many letters. "Even now, Twilight and I are rather close, even if not so close as we once were, but our relationship has also changed... It isn't really mentor and student..." Bluebelle then made a point about changing making a motion at herself "Gender swapping aside... You have changed through your friends, I witnessed that change through Twilight, as she was always in communication with me. The situations are different, and as much as it pains me to admit this, we were never as close as I would have liked."

~

The irony of Blueblood's life had always been that, while he thought more of his position than any of the other Royals, he could outdo them in public abasement any day of the week.  It was, in fact, because he had been so stuck-up that humiliation had come so easily to him.  The best butts of jokes are the ones with no sense of humor.

Even now, Bluebelle hadn't developed enough of one to see the joke, or explain it.  And even if she could, it probably wouldn't have done much good.  

"Well, bring up the subject, and see what she says."  The unicorn shrugged, leaving the Twilight subject where it lay.  "Mm, I think I've stayed in here long enough; my hooves will start wrinkling if I stay in too long."  She emerged from the water, leaving it to flow off her back as she tossed her wet mane expertly over her shoulder.  One would have thought her a natural at such things, though in reality that had taken a few days practice in front of a mirror.

"Hm, you're right, though, we never were that close.  I'm not sure why... I was at the Palace when I was a foal.  I remember playing there... I can't remember, now, why I stopped."

~

Celestia smiled to herself, thinking about asking Twilight such a question was odd, but not something unheard of. Twilight and Celestia often confided in each other as mentor and student. Still that was not something so pressing that Celestia had to do it any time soon or ever if the time was not right. "I shall try to ask her, should the opportunity arise." Not shortly after that Bluebelle arose out of the hot spring. "Hm you may be right. Since I chose this, what would you like to do next?" Celestia pondered the many possiblilities, usually Celestia would do a sauna and then a hooficure and a facial, and that would start to wind down the day. But still, it would be rude of her to capitalize the day, even if it was her treat. This was as much for Bluebelle as it was for herself.

Celestia gave a pause to Bluebelle's continuation. "I cannot speak for you, but I did try to be there for you, knowing full well I could never replace your parents. The other problem could have been my busy schedule and we only had so much time to spend..." Celestia reminiced about all the times they actually had to spend together, and all the times castle staff tended to Blueblood's needs "At times it sometimes felt as though you were closer to the staff of the castle than myself. I suppose that is only natural, considering they raised you more than I... Still... now with my sister back, perhaps we can make amends to the broken past of our relationship..."

~

Hm, what to do next...?  It was hard for Bluebelle to decide; while she had come here on several occasions as a Prince, the sessions were not all-day affairs.  Often, it was just for a massage and hooficure, and perhaps a manecut.  The hot springs were an occasional indulgence.  "Let me think... perhaps a sauna?"  It would be new for her, but it's main advantage was that it would allow the two of them a little more time to talk alone.

As the pair of them made their way over, Bluebelle's thoughts made their way back to early days... and the days following the loss of her parents.  It was true, the Prince had spent more time with the staff when he was at the Palace, and once he went off to University, he practically never saw Celestia.  Perhaps she was busy.  She did have a way of neglecting her relative's development...

No matter.  They were together now.  "Well, today's been a good start, I should say."  The heat greeted her with open pores as the unicorn sauntered into the room, settling down on one of the stone seats.  "It's true though, I don't know how candid we've been to each other in the past.  Would you... would you mind if I asked you a few personal questions?"

~

It was as if Bluebelle had read Celestia's mind as she said to go to the sauna. The sauna to Celestia was a great way to end a hot spring session. As Bluebelle lead the way, Celestia followed.

Celestia smiled as they reached the sauna and Bluebelle opened up again. She nodded in agreement. "Errors in the past can be mended by the actions in the present." Celestia sat down in the sauna and let the warm steam wash over her as she used her telekinesis to add more water to the hot stones at the center to make up for the steam that escaped from the opening of the door.

"I do not think I've ever intentionally hid things from you about my personal life..." Celestia paused... She did hide the fact that she banished her own sister to the moon all those years ago... but that was less an issue with being honest and more of shame of something she saw she had to do for the safety of all Equestria. However, she did feel that was wholly different, and often hid matters of state, when applicable, from Blueblood, and most other ponies. It just happened that this matter of state overlapped with personal connections... "However I welcome any questions, you might have, especially if it may help bring us closer." Celestia responded, realizing that may have been Bluebelle's ulterior motive to choosing the sauna... A quiet secluded area where they would not be disturbed unless they summoned staff to them...

~

Past errors remedied... that had been the recent motto of the younger royal for the past year or so.  Why stop now?

Well, there was always fear.  As much as Celestia preferred to downplay it, she always carried about with her an aura of what could only be called majesty, shining like the sun itself.  Hence, Bluebelle's first question came out somewhat hesitantly.  "Well... do you... still remember your parents?"

~

The princess chuckled... This was not something that was expected... Being asked about her parents was something that was widely considered ancient history. And Celestia and Luna's parents were of course if the history records, but she supposed Bluebelle meant on a personal level. "While I cannot say that I recall everything of my birth parents, I do remember them. But the memories are more of warm feelings and more abstract ideas, than actual memories of them. I remember my childhood being good, and without too much strife, considering the time, and forgetting the discord between the three pony races. But my parents were not like myself and Luna... they were closer to guardians of the world, and I still sometimes feel that they are watching over Luna and I, and the world as a whole. Doing things that Luna and I cannot hope to achieve."

Celestia expounded more than she ever had. She could rattle off the history books, but that would be an insult to the question Bluebelle posed. "And if you are wondering, yes, I miss them greatly, but they are not truely gone to me, they live within me. They created the pony you see before you." Celestia smiled warmly, she really didn't have chance to talk about her early life often. Even just thinking of her parents made her feel all warm and fuzzy inside... Even though the thought occurred to her that it might just be the effects of the sauna.

~

As Celestia spoke, Bluebelle was smiling... though her eyes were a little sad.  Her own memories of her parents were not so unmixed in their joys.  Perhaps it was the mere proximity of time, but certain resentments and regrets still persisted through all the love and grief of loss.  It was an interesting question, if the loss of detail would be worth the loss of pain.

"I see."  That first opening move got through with, she felt a little more confident in going for her second question.  This one might drag up more vivid memories, perhaps not so sweet ones as well.  "What is like having a sibling?  I mean, I was an only foal, and for a while I thought you were, too!  I never saw any hint that you were... well, missing Luna."  Granted, that may have been simply because of Blueblood's insensitivity, but still, Celestia had been good at hiding it.

~

Celestia watched closely upon Bluebelle as she spoke, even through the steam she could tell there were multiple levels to her current demenor, a sort of melancholy in Bluebelle's smile. She could not help but feel she asked that question because of her(his) own parents.

Celestia smiled at the second question and really this was the question she was initially expecting. For some reason, when people wish to ask her personal questions, they often turn to her relationship with Luna. Celestia cleared her throat and was thankful for the steam as it would mask any tears in the form of sweat. It was true, no pony really knew the turmoil she went through when she had to banish Luna, and it was not a decision she looked upon with any fond memory, quite the contrary, she always felt deep seeded regret for not being able to help her sister... "Before I answer the main question, I must answer your question's subtext about her banishment... I never remembered that day with any fondness, only regret. As much as I tried to protect my sister I never fully saw her pain, and when it was finally apparent, it was too late and I was faced with the hardest decision I've ever had to make."

Celestia took a breath before continuing, a heavy heave as she was about to talk about something that almost nopony knew about. "In the public eye, I knew I could not let on my pain when having banished what everyone saw as Nightmare Moon, the pony who tried to destroy the day and take Equestria by force. I had to present a strong front, but to me, the Summer Sun Celebration was not a celebration of summer, only a reminder of having to banish my sister. I made it a point to take some of the time during that busy day to remember her, always alone, and always sad. You would think that 1000 years would have been enough for the pain to subside, but it never did. I stayed strong not for myself, but for Equestria, eagerly awaiting the day when she could be saved."

She stopped, once again took a deep breath, and started to think of all the good times. The times they have once again found. "To answer your actual question, having a sibling is wonderful, though it might not actually seem that way at times." Celestia smiled. "There were pranks, secrets, arguments, and just general fun. She and I designed our first castle with the intent for us to enjoy time together, and at times, with the organ control room, have fun at the other's expense." Celestia realized she was overcomplicating things. "Really to put it simply, having a sister, at least one like Luna, it is like having a best friend that you can never be separated from. Having some pony who would always be there for you." Celestia smiled thinking of all the fun times they had, and it really was like Luna was her only true friend. It was equal parts fantastic and terrible at times, because being that close to somepony can bring the greatest joy and the greatest pain.

~

By now, Celestia may have begun to notice a pattern in Bluebelle's questions.  Her curiosity was all centered around the idea of family.  Which was natural enough; they were here to build familial ties, of which Blueblood had not much experience in, growing up.  Parental relations had their ups and downs, but with them cut somewhat short, the royal had been left adrift as far as close connections went.

As a matter of fact, the issue of Luna's banishment really was secondary in the unicorn's mind.  She just wanted to know what it was like having somepony like her around.  From what she said, it seemed like a very good thing, hence the pain at having to break it off with a banishment.  No wonder Celestia had been so quick to forgive, after all those years.

"Thank you."  The new Princess said again, her tone tinged with less melancholy this time.  "It's a pity my parents never had any other foals; I suppose growing up with a sister made it easier for you to make friends later?"  It seemed a safe assumption, but then again, it hadn't quite applied to Luna...

~

Celestia smiled at Bluebelle's supposition about having a sister. Really, Celestia noticed that having a sibling did not really impact anypony on making friends. Having a sibling helped only in having one very reliable friend. Still Celestia nodded at Bluebelle's words of thanks.

"You are quite welcome" Celestia said warmly. As Bluebelle continued on her parents not having any further children. "Having a sibling only helps in making a single friend, if you are open to it, and that is your sibling. After that, it is up to the pony." Celestia started her response. "For me, making friends always came easy, but Luna was not exactly unsociable either. Honestly, I don't know when things changed, and that was part of the problem... Had I noticed perhaps I could have alleviated some of her pain, and made her see her own worth." Celestia showed a bit of regret on her face. "The real key in making friends is being yourself and interacting with ponies. Being confident enough to go up to ponies. Being hunble when you are in a position of power does not hurt either." Celestia used her towel to pat away some of the excess sweat from above her eyes. "I cannot say if having a sibling would have helped you... Remember I was the elder sibling so I had already made friends, and I cannot speak for Luna if having a sister helped her..."

~

Well, so much for being able to find an excuse.  Bluebelle had thought, perhaps, that some of her previous... anti-social behavior might have its source in insufficient socialization opportunities.  But really, Auntie Celestia was right, as usual.  Having a sibling didn't necessarily mean one would have a friend, if one didn't put in the effort.  Heck, insufficient effort might result in getting an enemy, if only temporarily, as Luna demonstrated.

"So I've come to learn."  The mare remarked, as Celestia recounted what was needed to make a friend.  Her eyes were free of sadness now.  In fact, they were sparkling a bit, with either mischief or burning curiosity.  "And I can't necessarily say what sort of brother I would have been, or sister.  But there are some things that I can do something about... though I don't know if you could help me there.  I don't recall, for instance, that you'd ever taken a consort..."

~

Celestia smiled as Bluebelle's demenor clearly changed from melancholy to somewhat happy.

Celestia nodded at Bluebelle's response to her words. "We can never know "ifs" really. It is better to live with what we have than to ponder endlessly of what could have been." Celestia interjected. "As for helping you, or any pony, if I'm able to, I will always try. I do not pretend to have all the answers or am capable of fixing everything though. Even though some ponies seem to think that I'm almost infallable." Celestia said with an air of trouble in her voice. She really didn't mind ponies coming to her with issues, but many expected everything to be magically fixed, but even Celestia had her limits...

'Consort'.... Celestia laughed at the query and implication. "No, I cannot say that I have taken a consort. I have had companionship, but never anything of that level. And usually my companions were... complicated situations..." Celestia didn't wish to really delve into that. She did have that interdimensional romance for a while... And she never really knew why Discord seemed obsessed with her specifically when he was out and about all those years ago. Still, it wasn't like Celestia was lonely really. She made her choices and was always happy with the results.

~

"Well..."  Bluebelle smiled at her auntie's comment on near-infallibility.  "You had me fooled for a while.  I think that looking flawless has a lot to do with flawless looks... though in my case, I don't think I'm fooling any pony.  At least, not anymore."  She shrugged.  The legacy of a bad reputation had some side benefits, if only the fact that she didn't have to deal with a line of unreasonable petitioners every morning.

The mare raised an eyebrow at Celestia's mention of 'complications.'  Curiosity and a sweat sheen were shining in the unicorn's face.  "And... did you learn anything that might be considered generally applicable?"

~

"Appearing flawless..." Celestia pondered, she did suppose she put on an air like that. She never denied any pony council if they so desired it and she was able. And apparently her long life allowed to learn many things, so her council was usually well received. "I cannot say for sure if that is how I come off, but I suppose my reputation as leader does proceed me somewhat..." Celestia paused and looked at Bluebelle "As for you, you need not be flawless to get the reactions I do. I get the reactions I do because of my reputation, and as you improve yours, I'm sure ponies will take notice." Celestia smiled warmly at Bluebelle.

And then the topic about her relationships continued... And once again she found herself laughing. "Applicable?" Celestia snikkered "No... I don't think my experiences would be applicable to anyone... they were rather unique in possibly every way imaginable." How would she even explain mirror worlds, or the fact that she had a relationship with King Sombra in another world? To most ponies that would seem entirely outlandish.

~

"Oh."  So, those petitioners may yet be in her future.  Wonderful.  That certainly put a new perspective on how IMAGINE business was proceeding.  True, it was hard work getting it off the ground, burdened as she was by her past, but the initial lack of public confidence did give the founders full discretion in choosing their projects.  This might no longer be so, with a few successes under their belts.

Certainly food for thought.  In any case, more food that her auntie's dismissive laughter was giving Bluebelle.  "Well, fair enough.  I suppose you wouldn't have anything normal in that regard..."  She settled back, her mind drifting to her own situation.  "You didn't have to deal with... hm, never mind."

~

Celestia smiled "'Normal' in relationships is entirely subjective." Celestia began "However, my experiences are wholly unique and I cannot imagine other ponies having anything similar." Bluebelle started to ask a question but stopped. Curiosity abounds... "I agreed to answer any of your questions if I was able to, so please, do not hesitate now." Really, Celestia had no designs of going into detail in her relationships past. That would raise too many questions, as it stood, there were few whom actually were aware of her history. Those that were fully privvy to it were either passed or a world away. It was not something that Celestia would spread easily.

~

Bluebelle was not so insensitive as to actually want to push her Auntie Celestia to reveal her secrets, unpleasant or otherwise, but this was one subject she wanted to bring up with her before their all-too-short period of privacy came to an end.  "I'm asking this because... well, I'm considering entering a relationship myself, and I don't want to screw it up.  I really don't want to screw it up."

She sighed, wiping a mane strand away from her face.  Auntie had probably already guessed that she had a specific reason for asking questions along these lines, and may have even already known who Bluebelle was thinking about.  It wouldn't have surprised the unicorn, anyway.  "And I was just wondering... well, if you had learned anything that would help me not to?"

~

Even though Celestia did not wish to divulge overly sensitive information about her own life and experiences, even princesses need their privacy afterall... She did wish to help her neice/nephew. When Bluebelle finally revealed her intentions, which Celestia had an inking to, a smirk revealed itself on Celestia's muzzle. "Oooh? A relationship? Well that is intriguing. Perhaps you'll introduce the lucky mare or stallion to your dear Auntie Celestia." Celestia replied playfully.

Still smiling through the steam Celestia did decide to become serious "Though honestly, the best advice is to be yourself, no pony is worth your affection if you cannot be yourself with them. A true companion will see your attributes through your faults, and even those they will accept because they care about you." Celestia smiled. "I cannot say I have any advice for you to "not screw it up." Celestia began "I believe that you will not, especially if it is meant to be. Have faith in yourself, and if you are right for them and the feeling is mutual, things will work out," Celestia finished.

Celestia was beginning to feel like steamed vegitables. She rose levitating a towel over to pat herself dry "I'm not sure about you, but I am starting to feel overly warm..." Celestia gently suggested that it was time to end the session. "I would normally suggest hooficures, but considering the discussions we've been having, perhaps it would be better if we made another date to do it privately at Canterlot Castle." Celestia said with a wink. "Really if you ever need me, I will be here for you."

~

All joking aside... Bluebelle was glad to finally get some real advice out of her Auntie.  "Well, if all goes well, I will make sure to introduce you to her... and I think, now, that it actually might."  She smiled, half-dreamily, half ruefully.  "She... well, I think I can safely say that she's seen me at my worst... and most off-balance.  And she hasn't reacted in disgust, and has been a help in this most recent... crisis."

She looked down at herself.  Was that a slight reddening on her hide?  "I think you're right, it is time we got out of here."  Wiping the sweat off with her towel, she got to her feet.  "I shall be sure to remember that, thank you."  The Princess said as they exited.  "And also thank you for bringing me out here.  It's done wonders for my stress level!"

~

Celestia grinned at Bluebelle's reply. "I'm not sure if you could call this a 'crisis'" Celestia said giggling, "More of an unusual situation..." Celestia was still in a rather joking mood, especially considering the day they had together. "I do look forward to meeting the mare that has captured your heart Bluebelle. I'm sure she is lovely and if you really want it to, I'm almost certain it will work out."

At Bluebelle noticing she was becoming lightly boiled herself she concurred with the princess. "I am happy we had this day together, and hope to do it again with you, mare or stallion." Celestia said gleefully as she motioned to the open door to the sauna. "Come let us gather our things and hopefully avoid the paparazzi. If not I'm sure I can show you a thing or two about escaping them."

~

The cool of the outside air hit Bluebelle like a cup of cold water on a parched throat.  Tossing her mane back, she felt herself cast off a load of anxiety that she had hardly been aware of.  Auntie Celestia was right; this wasn't all that much of a crisis.  She looked good, felt good, and things were going to be OK.  "It would really be nice to start building up a family again, after being alone in the Manor..."  She smiled up at her Aunt.  "Glad to know I haven't lost them all, though."

"We will have to do this again," Bluebelle agreed as she gathered up the cloak, as she hand't come with much else.  "I don't hear any pony outside, so I think we're clear."

~

As Celestia donned her saddle bags and put her plain cloak on over it. The cloak subdued the breeze from the outside. Though it was a nice day, the air felt especially crisp after a day of relaxation at the spa, especially after the hot springs and sauna. As Bluebelle had surmised there were no paparazzi around, but Celestia knew that didn't mean they were not out of the woods yet. "You appear to have grown astute to the sounds of reporters." Celestia replied as she was welcomed by the absence of them. The salon staff bowed to them both and thanked them for their visit. Celestia replied graciously and requested the bill be settled in the usual manner. They replied in the affirmative and wished the pair well on their journey back. Celestia felt rather warm when Bluebelle referred to her as family. "You cannot get rid of me that easily Bluebelle. I'm not one to simply turn my back on family so easily." Celestia said warmly. "And remember, as much as family is important, your friends can be an extended family as well, and I do hope you treat them as such." Celestia added on as words of wisdom.

Celestia cantered out into the alleyway from whence they came and started to lead Bluebelle back a different way, just in case...

~

Royalty learn the sounds of paparazzi much like small furry animals learn the paces of larger ones in the Everfree Forest; as a survival, or at least sanity-preserving, necessity.  So far, Bluebelle felt the coast as clear, and so the two began to set off back home.

"I know, and I do."  She replied, as Celestia spoke of friends being held close.  "I think I have a few visits to plan out now, actually.  I really should let them know what's happened, and... that's hard to fit into a letter."  The unicorn kept close to the alicorn as they winded their way through the alleys, like a pair of spies or infiltrators.

As it turned out, the mission was successful, and soon Bluebelle found herself at the back gate of her back garden.  "Home again, home again."  She breathed.  "Thank you again, Auntie Celestia.  I... don't think I would have taken the initiative on my own."

~

As they made their way to the home through the back enterance the house staff greeted them as they entered. "I can tell you this for certain, you do not want to use a letter for something this personal if it can be avoided. There is something special about talking to ponies face to face." Celestia agreed with Bluebelle adding in some of her personal wisdom.

Celestia smiled and hugged Bluebelle. "You are quite welcome. I figured you needed something to escape." Even though Celestia had hoped to do a bit more with Bluebelle which might have been more embarassing for her, she ultimately decided against it and for the better. As much of a prankster as Celestia was, she knew the limits, especially of one she knew so well like Blueblood. "I'll be heading off, I've taken too much time away from my royal duties today as is. But it was a lovely day and I hope to see you, and your marefriend soon." Celestia said with a wink as she departed the home through the front and over the paparazzi as she spread her wings and flew towards Canterlot Castle.

Archived