Legacy of a Star (Invite Only)

AlextheAngel

The audience of seven hundred ponies erupted in a chorus of applause as the well-known Rock and Metal musician Dawn Whisper finished performing one of his hit singles. The young beige-colored colt smiled brightly and ran a hoof through his hair, watching the large crowd with pure adoration gleaming in his sparkling blue eyes. It was hard to believe that just a few years ago, he was terrified of getting on a stage in front of so many ponies. Now, he was one of the biggest rock stars known throughout Equestria, and was never afraid of meeting his fans face-to-face.

"Good evening, Canterlot!" He yelled through the microphone, causing the crowd to erupt into another chorus of cheers. "I've tried so hard to get to where I am today, and some of you out there have been with me from the very beginning. Cheering me on, listening to my albums, and giving me a reason to keep doing what I love." He tilted his head to the side, flicking his bangs out of his eyes. "This song goes out to all of you!"

With that, the introduction guitar riff to one of his single most popular pieces began playing, and the crowd began to jump and bang their heads upon hearing it. "This song is called 'Legacy'. I'm sure you all know it very well!"

"We run with steel plated in our hearts,

And resolve in our veins.

We fight by the side of holy gods,

On plains infused with flames.

Every wound, a mere scratch to our will,

And silenced are the cries.

And if faced with a fate that ends our lives,

We will rest easy, knowing this legacy will never die."

About five minutes later, the song finally came to an end and the crowd once again cheered his name. Unfortunately, this was the time where the concert would draw to a close, much to Dawn's disappointment. Using his hoof to wipe away a few drops of sweat from his brow, he said his farewells, before stepping off the stage and toward the back to begin packing up, in extremely high spirits after yet another successful concert. He hummed quietly to himself as he began gathering the rest of his sound equipment, smiling at the sound of the audience still cheering.

The air was hot and humid, something that most ponies at the concert didn't care to notice. They waved their hooves in the air, screaming for more, begging in adoration for their favourite rock star. The stallion on stage, a cocky fellow, or so she thought. They way he lifted the crown onto their hooves, the way he said, "Good evening, Canterlot!" was of-so annoying. The squeals of teenaged fillies, and colts, looking upon their hero, it was almost too much for her. She hated it. She hated him, she hated his crowd. She hated his music, she hated his songs-but she didn't hate opportunity. And this was one she would never pass on: A famous rock star hoping to increase both his fandom and money, promising great rewards for new sponsors. "I've tried so hard to get to where I am today, and some of you out there have been with me from the very beginning. Cheering me on, listening to my albums, and giving me a reason to keep doing what I love. This song goes out to all of you!" She rolled her eyes at the display of public demand for love, disgusting! But yet, he seemed like a good pony. He had his affairs set straight, not too much bad gossip going around him, and he had relatively good morals. She had kept an eye on him since he started as an up-and-coming musician, and had patiently waited until the perfect opportunity to put her bits "all in". She had always looked forward to this day-to meet this "star" face to face. To see why he charmed so many, and won the hearts of many more. To immerse in his music and feel the vibes of sound through herself. She hadn't anticipated that the day would come so soon, not today, anyways.

As he sang one of his more popular songs, the crowd grew even louder. It wasn't a bad song, she had to admit, but it wasn't something she preferred to listen to. Glitch hop, future bass, djent, and house was her thing-this "rock-thing" was not on the list. At all. Time seemed to pass extra slowly, and his "not-so-bearable" song seemed to last for hours..."Aughhh...," Finally, he backed off the stage, fading from the spotlight. The crowd still cheered for his name, but she knew he wouldn't come back for an encore, he loved their cheers too much, and knew it too well. She marched backstage, determined to find him. She went around a few corners, until she heard the familiar hum of a song. Following the hum, she soon rested her eyes on the smiling stallion, " Are you still open for sponsors?"

Dawn was busy packing up his laptop, which was the main nexus of where all of the music had been coming from, when he suddenly heard a voice from behind him. It startled him quite a bit, causing him to yelp and whirl around, glancing at the source with an expression only resembling surprise. Usually, nopony was allowed to come back stage unless they had a special priority pass, which Dawn only gave out to close friends. He let out a small sigh, his heartrate slowing down a bit as he calmed down. Before he answered, he took the time to study the pony for a bit, taking into note that she did not seem as uppity and cheerful as most of those who wanted to speak with him backstage.

"Sorry, you startled me there." He said, giving a half-hearted chuckle. He quickly finished unplugging all of the USB wires from his laptop, before putting it away in his saddlebag. "Straight down to business, huh? Not even a hello? Ah, no matter..." He let out a sigh. "It really depends on what you're offering, to be honest. I'm already very well known around Equestria... then again, it might be good for my career if I expand my name a little more..." He took this chance to study the pony a bit longer. "Wait a minute... I've seen you before! You've attended a few of my shows, but you just try to hide in the crowd... and you usually don't look like you're enjoying yourself. See, unlike most of the famous musicians and artists around Equestria, I pay attention to the audience." He shrugged, using a hoof to brush a bit of his mane away from his eyes.

• 2 months later...

((No wonder why I couldn't find it.  I forgot to follow it!))

She nodded, but she didn't smile.  This was all business when it meant new investments, "As a matter of fact, you probably have seen me.  I am very much a celebrity in my own right; unlike you, Mr. Whisper, I prefer to make my hobby around business.  I have followed you via media for a while now, and I would like to offer my hoof in sponsorship to your upcoming tour.  For you see, I am Steampunk Metal-billionaire owner of Easy Street Markets.  In case you don't pay attention to your surroundings as much as I do, these convenience chain stores are quite populated in Hoofington, Baltimare, and Manehattan.  I'm hoping to take it to Canterlot someday, but my newest attention-grabber is investments.  So...are you interested?  Then we can finish this small talk and move into the thing I'm best at: business," 

She smoothed her infamous signature white lab coat, and raised an eyebrow at him.  She looked around, then muttered under her breath, "Well, hasn't somepony got a lot of fan support?"

Dawn gave a small sigh that almost sounded rather melancholic, before reaching up a hoof and smoothing his hair a bit. Even though he had very high respect for the business types, he couldn't help but feel a bit annoyed at their all-business demeanor. In all honesty, he found it quite boring... even though it was a marvelous line of work. "As a matter of fact, I am a frequent customer at the Easy Street Markets, ma'am." He replied, before struggling to lift a large speaker to put it in the back of one of his large chariots. "And I've... visited each one... in those t-towns you mentioned... quite a few times." He panted, before setting the large speaker down with a loud thud. He leaned against the chariot for a moment, panting heavily, before smiling politely at Steampunk. "Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet the owner of such a wonderful business. I've even recommended it a few times... not that there would be much of a difference, considering how popular it already is." He scratched the back of his neck and sighed again. "Anyway, yes: Business. And you could say I'm... fairly interested. It depends on what you're offering." In all honesty, Dawn didn't need a sponsor at all. Making money, becoming famous, and being a billionaire himself were all things he accomplished on his own with absolutely no help.

Hmm...so this stallion thinks he doesn't need a sponsor, eh?  Let me prove him just how wrong he is...

"I'm not offering anything.  In fact, it's got nothing to do with me.  I'm not going to do anything for you, you're gonna do it all yourself.  All I'm here to do is to bring you opportunities.  You see-I'm not the cliche, typical sponsor that throws charity events at you and makes you do them.  I'm not the kind that would be better off as your mother-manager and watches your moves like a stalker.  Because, I don't see myself as a sponsor, I see myself as an investor.  I'm putting my money into this business, and I expect things to come back to me.  I'm simply opening the door for you, not forcing you through them or ushering you into each room.  I'm not your mother, not your sponsor, not your investor-I'm going to be your new friend.  I'm there if you need some help-to help you pay for that expensive stage prop that you want, to help you interview and hire new dancers.  I'm your new best friend.  Now-tell me: You've done everything by yourself-you're even moving your equipment around with your own bare hooves!  What if I told you I could offer help with that?  I won't be like other sponsors and do everything for you-until all you're doing is lip-syncing on a stage.  I'm simply going to provide help and leave you to learn and do the rest.  So, what do you think?"

Dawn listened intently as Steampunk spoke, every once in a while giving a rather curt nod. In all honesty, it was indeed a nice offer. He didn't use very many stage props... and having to set up all of his equipment himself did get rather tiring. Dawn gave a small sigh, leaning against one of the other speakers, watching her with a hint of suspicion. "I... hope you don't think me rude for asking this, but... is there a catch?" He has never been in this position before, and had no experience with being sponsored whatsoever... sadly enough. He thought that it might be a good idea to ask first, rather than finding out the hard way once it was too late to turn back.

She laughed, and smiled.  She had barely moved from their first conversation, and she preferred to stay rooted to the ground.  After all, shifting too much was quite unprofessional for a buisnessmare like herself, "Isn't there always a catch?  I'll require you to attend a few events as guest performer-like the annual Manehattan Fashion Fair, a Hearth's Warming Gala, a New Year's Gala, as such.  It won't be too many, just around four to five a year.  There will be a few charity event I'd love to have you sing for, but that would be up to you: just...strongly suggested,"  

She looked at him, and studied his expression.  He seemed...confused.  Was this the first time anypony had ever approached his as a sponsor?  Of course-she didn't ask; not business-like.

Dawn nodded and rubbed his chin with his hoof, seeming deep in thought. It was a good offer, and possibly something that could be very useful for him in the future. He never needed to use stage props or anything of the sort, but... perhaps it would be nice to try something like that. And all this young stallion had to do in return was perform at a few side shows, which was something he had absolutely no problem doing. If it were up to him, he would make most of his concerts absolutely free. "Okay, then. I guess I'm in."

She gave him a smile.  Something about this stallion...intrigued her.  Don't be stupid, she chided herself, you can't fall in love with someone who's name is plastered all over Equestrian gossip magazines.  She looked at him, a plastered a firm, steady nod, "Alright.  Let's start by going somewhere with a more...business surrounding.  I'll meet you in my office in," She stared at him and looked at her watch, "...tomorrow morning.  At exactly 8 o'clock.  Please be prompt,"

"Eight? Ugh..." Dawn responded, before shaking his head and once again running a hoof through his mane. He was a huge fan of sleeping in until noon, and rarely woke up earlier than that unless it was for important business matters... which this was, of course. He looked at his watch, finding that it was only a quarter till eight, which would leave him plenty of time to get an early head start on sleep... that is, if he decided to skip the partying and drinking that he usually did after almost every concert. "All right, that sounds to me. I'll see you then!" He said with a polite smile. He did notice the way she smiled at him, which did confuse him just a bit, but he brushed it off. She was probably just happy that she had a new client..

She turned to leave, but froze for a moment.  She whirled around, and presented him with a ticket, "I know this is a bit late...but there is a party tonight in Canterlot, and I have an extra ticket that I need to get rid of,"

She groaned inertly, smooth, real smooth Steam.  You could just tell him that you want him to come with you.  She shook the thoughts from her head, what was she thinking?  This was just another buisnesspony she was dealing with, no feelings involved.  They would maintain the same relationship as she did with any other client, nothing else.  

However, her heart was set in denying that.

Dawn blinked in surprise when Steampunk suddenly whirled around and presented him with a ticket to a party that was in Canterlot. The young stallion was always up for a good party, but it worried him that he might be up too late at this party, and be unable to wake up in time for their meeting tomorrow. Not to mention that they had just met ten minutes ago, and she was already inviting him to join her at a party. Nevertheless, she seemed nice enough as it is... and he also feared that he may seem rude if he refused. With a nod and a smile, he accepted the ticket. "All right, sweet. I'll be there." He said, putting the ticket in one of his saddlebags. As nice as it was, he couldn't help but feel bothered that she was only doing this just to get rid of an extra ticket...

• 2 weeks later...

She smiled, and gave herself an inner thumbs-up.  

"Great!  The carriage will drop by your place around...five?  I know it starts at five thirty, but it's fashionable to show up a little bit late,"

She grinned at herself and gave an inner blush at the feelings that coincided.  Shaking her head, she tousled her mane and set off into the taxi waiting for her. I wonder if he likes me too...

"Okay, thank you!" Dawn replied politely as he watched Steampunk take her leave to the taxi that had been waiting for her. Well... today was quite interesting indeed. He would not have quite expected to gain a sponsor right after a rather large show. He continued to give the offer some thought, before remembering that the mare seemed to put off a strange aura that the young musician couldn't quite read. He wondered if there was something she was not telling him... either way, Dawn was horrible at reading ponies. He resolved to find out later when the two knew each other a little better. Still lost in his thoughts, the young stallion finished putting away his equipment, before departing in the taxi that would soon take him home.

Five...and the time has passed oh-so-fast.

She gave a small breath and looked around.  His residence wasn't half as grand as hers, nor as towering in height.  Still, she smiled...it looked...cozy.  To her-anyways.  The taxi ride to his place had been smooth, and the chauffeur was kind enough to provide her with some decent classical music in the background.  As it slowed to a stop, she looked to him as to ring the bell of the residency.  He didn't.  She froze, "You want me to do it?"

But then...she realized something.  He would do it.  He would go ring the bell and usher Mr. Rock Star from his residence.  He just wouldn't do it for free.  She rummaged into her saddlebag, and came up with a silver bit.  

The chauffeur departed to ring the doorbell. 

Dawn had spent the last hour in his bathroom and his wardrobe, trying to figure out what he should wear. Granted, he had no idea what type of party it was, so that made it a bit difficult for him to decide what would be more appropriate. In the end, the young stallion settled on a black tuxedo, which seemed to have absolutely no wrinkles in it. He carefully put it on, before spending another fifteen minutes trying to style his mane. By the time he was finished, he was professionally dressed, with his mane combed off to the side... rather than his usual look of keeping his bangs in his eyes.

Suddenly, he flinched as his doorbell was rung, the sound echoing loudly through his house.

Dawn blinked, before frantically grabbing a random bottle of cologne from his shelf stacked with different scents of body spray. He sprayed a bit on himself, before quickly trotting down the stairs to open his front door to greet the chauffeur. "Hello, there. Can I help you?" He asked politely, before blinking in confusion, noticing the taxi. This was his ride! "Oh! Just a moment..." He said, before quickly grabbing a key and locking up the front door, before making his way to the taxi.

She stared at the window.  Out the window, to be exact.  And she was at a lost.  What to make of Dawn?  Do I like him?  Do I not?  It had been strictly buisness before she had met him face-to-face...and then it had changed.  It wasn't really a romantic zap that she felt between them, more like an urge to lapse the bridge of friendship.  She wanted, very dearly, for a friend.  And he seemed like the perfect candidate for this rich mare.

He came with grace, esteem, and power.  He was so handsome, his hair done and the whiff of cologne in the air.  She gave a smile, and kicked open the door of the taxi.  Apparently, she didn't pay the chauffeur enough to have him open doors.  She herself though, wasn't looking too bad.  Her dress was simple, a shiny slick one-piece with a nice celestial sun emblem on the back.  A large lunar crescent moon gold necklace dangled from her neck.  There was no makeup on her face, and her muzzle was hinted with eternal authority.  Despite how she was dressed, or where she went, this mare was still a force to be reckoned with.

"Welcome, to my side of the world,"   

• 3 weeks later...

"Thanks." Dawn said as Steam kicked the taxi door open for him, allowing him to climb inside and take his seat next to her. He took a moment to study her out of the corner of his eye, getting a good look at her own attire. She looked... quite beautiful in that shiny dress with a celestial emblem, and the golden crescent moon necklace seemed to fit really well. Overall, the outfit seemed to give her a bit of an exuberant look, despite her rather authoritative vibe she gave off. "You... look nice." He said suddenly, a slight blush forming on his cheeks, before quickly fading. He half expected her to think he was flirting, and to start yelling at him. In all honesty, he wouldn't mind it at all if she felt a certain way about him. However, he was convinced that she wouldn't even think of him in that way, given that they had only met a few hours prior and only for business. Then again, the young stallion was quite horrible at reading other ponies...

• 2 weeks later...

She bit her lip and gave a slight smile, "I like to keep my appearance in check,"

She leaned forwards and urged the driver to take them to the party.  She turned back to her guest of honor, "I have to admit, though...you are a bit overdressed.  I mean-I usually overdress, mainly because I prefer not to throw myself over the stallions and have a nice, educated conversation with the host," 

She looked at him in the eye, and he seemed to be judging her.  She gave a little grin, her ears flickering back and forth, "You okay?  You seem...dazed,"  

Archived