Dreams of Alicornification (ATTN: Novaburst All others PM to join)

Lux

"Great," Twilight said seeing that the visualization part wasn't the issue for the unicorn, "So now that you have a vision of light, use your energy to bring out that light from your horn. Your horn will be like a candle or a flaming torch, just without the heat of the flame. Now, let's see what you can do!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was no mistake on Twilight's part to omit how Nova Burst should stack the blocks. The point of the exercise wasn't in whether he should build a pyramid with them or a rectangular block. It was mainly how he used his telekinesis.

"You did great. The exercise was to test how well you manipulated the blocks and how well you placed them. And from what I can see, you took your time setting each block. While there are times that ponies like us don't have the luxury to take our time, this is the first step in training your horn to do things automatically. I don't mean by surges, but a controlled use of telekinesis such as preventing a pony from falling to the ground, or stopping something from hitting you. So now let's try something a little harder, moving targets."

The blocks and table disappeared, replaced by a large basket with colored balls, the kind that fillies and colts were apt to play with at school. With a flicker of her horn the balls took flight and began to circle the space in different orbits.

"I want you to focus on each ball at a time and using your telekinesis grab it from the air and put it into the basket. Take your time as there's no race in this."

• 2 weeks later...

Concentrating his efforts to do what Princess Twilight wanted,   Nova Burst attempted to grab the balls.  The first one took him about 5 minutes to grab with a spell as it kept moving,  but slowly his speed increased as he grabbed the balls with his magic and put them away.  This was easy once you got the hang of it.  "This is actually getting easier Princess Twilight. I don't know why,  but it is." 

Princess Twilight Sparkle alternated her gaze between the swirling mass of colorful balls, taking care to alternate the speed and direction occasionally, and the stallion that was concentrating on each ball and depositing it into the basket. It was slow at first using his telekinesis to grab a moving object, but soon he targeted and retrieved each one. 

"This is actually getting easier Princess Twilight. I don't know why,  but it is." 

"That's because you are practicing," Twilight remarked, "You may use your magic occasionally to pick up a tool or hold something in place, but learning how to catch a moving object with your magic helps you to pick up non-moving objects more easily! And actually you can practice this easily on your own, like catching leaves or papers blowing in the wind. From there you can learn how to move objects at different speeds or directions like what I'm doing now. Although take my advice, you might want to start small with that. I tried to lift my bed with my telekinesis and let's just say I didn't get far starting out like that." 

• 4 weeks later...

Nova Burst nodded.  The lesson of the Princess was actually making sense.  But as he got more engrossed in the lesson,  Nova forgot to concentrate on controlling his magic... forcing it to obey him.  As a result of this,  his magic surged.  Only this time,  it lifted the Princess and flung her high into the air.   Nova Burst apologetically lowered his head and said to her. "I am sorry these bucking magical surges continue to happen,  Princess.  I wish it was an easy problem to solve,  but it's not."   To be completely honest,  Nova Burst was very tired of the magical surges that he possessed. For they were becoming increasing pains in the flank for him. 

It was all going so well with the practice. Nova Burst caught each ball with his magic in an increasingly faster time and was even pleased at the project. But then it happened. Instead of catching a ball, his magic caught her and before she could react the Princess was tossed in the air!

"Gahhh!" she cried as she opened her wings and floated back down to safety, "Now I know how Cadence felt when my brother tossed her!"

"I am sorry these bucking magical surges continue to happen,  Princess.  I wish it was an easy problem to solve,  but it's not."

"No, no. It's ok. There wasn't any harm done. Surprise yes, but no harm. While surges can be managed with practice, I'm starting to see that when you lose focus you're more apt to surges. Do you have trouble focusing in general on several tasks at a time, or find that you can't easily move from one project to the next?"

"Yes,  Princess. When I lose my focus,   the surges happen.  I now believe I know what I must do in order to handle the surges. "   Nova Burst sighed as he looked over the Princess because he was curious about a lot of things.  Sighing,  he looked at her for a moment. "I must do my best to concentrate,  and control my surges. You've helped me a lot,  Princess.  But now I must go seek out ways to make more friends,   and also perhaps look for a therapist... of sorts.  Know any good ones,  perhaps?"

"Well I'm glad that you now know what areas you need to improve upon," Twilight said, "Although I'm not a therapist, I can say that for me when I have several tasks to do I try to prioritize them. Sometimes I do so by the order they're presented while other times I go by the project deadlines. As for a therapist, I'm not sure of any here in Ponyville, but I'm sure there are many good qualified ones in bigger cities like Manehattan or Canterlot. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I'm also glad to hear that you're considering making friends as they will be there to help you to acheive your goal."

"Before I do go Princess,  I did want to ask you about the Alicorn thing.  Is it possible for Stallions,  or not?"  asked Nova Burst,  curious about the possibility of becoming an Alicorn. It wasn't the wings,  or the added magic that interested him but the fact that they had more longevity than most... something that was very unique about Alicorns and that he believed might come in handy. At least it would give him plenty of time to solve the issue of his surges.  Knowing he wasn't powerful enough probably,  Nova Burst would probably have to have her raise him to an Alicorn. It was worth a shot anyway.  The idea of being an Alicorn interested him,  but he didn't really care for the Royalty Portion of being an Alicorn.   "After today,  I'd better pack supplies... as it's gonna take me a while to recover from the surges when I reach the Crystal Empire. Have any family there you want me to deliver anything to? After all,  while I'm there I may as well kill two birds with one stone as it were." 

It wasn't a strange to ask about whether stallions could be Alicorns. Twilight couldn't help but wonder though if he was asking just for curiosity sake or if deep down the stallion felt that his life, and magic surges, would improve becoming one.

"Unfortunately Nova there is no record of a stallion becoming an Alicorn. There is still much for me to learn about being one, and considering there are only three... no wait... four others most recently not including me, information is limited. Perhaps Ascension to Alicornhood is through the female line, I can't say for sure. Sorry i couldn't be much help about it. It's all new to me as well!"

The princess let out a little giggle as if it was her own private joke learning how to fly and controlling more powerful magic. She could see though that Nova was needing to leave and was making plans to visit the Crystal Empire. Maybe he had friends there. She cringed at the "kill two birds with one stone" phrase, not liking such a barbaric and archaic term. She could only imagine what Fluttershy would do if she heard that phrase!

"Well, I wish you safe travel to the Crystal Empire. It is a very nice place. As a matter of fact, my brother Shining Armor and my sister-in-law Princess Cadence live there, and i do have something for them!"

With that the mare materialized a pink gift box with blue ribbons and a bow on it. Clearly it was a gift, and from the pastel colors one for a foal.

"I found the cutest toy for their foal, but I can't travel there until later. Would you deliver this present to the castle in the Crystal Empire? That is, if it's not out of the way from where you're going."

"Sure. I'll go there,  and deliver the present. Who knows,  your brother or sister may know a potential solution to my surges. "  With that he'd attempt unsuccessfully to levitate the gift box into a saddle bag, but then he would try again and manage to succeed.  "You don't like the phrase I used? Sorry, it's an old expression. It means to get two tasks done at once,  although I could see how it might offend some ponies. I'm sorry if I offended you,  Princess.  Who knows,  maybe there'll be some spells or something in the Crystal Library that require a lot of magic to cast.  If so,  it might be worth the trip down there.  So there's only four Alicorns,  not counting yourself.  I understand now.   If it is indeed through the female line,  I will have to find another solution.  As if the surges are a life long problem,  I don't want to endanger anypony else through them." 

Nova groaned,  as he face-hoofed.  Traveling to the Crystal Empire to deliver a package for his friend was one thing.  But doing so when he had magical surges he couldn't contain,  well he only hoped that the Princess of Love,  and her Prince were as tolerable of him as Twilight had been.    "I just realized something. If one of my surges happen,  the guard of Prince Shining Armor,  and Princess Cadence will be less than forgiving.  I'm in trouble. Maybe if you wrote the guards a note or something,  and I took it with me?" 

Nova Burst was a bit concerned about the surges,  but also about other ponies being in close proximity to him SHOULD he lose focus and control of his magic. 

Twilight needed to remember not to let her face give away her thoughts as she gave away her disdain for Nova's "kill two birds" note. 

"Thanks for bringing the gift, and  there's no need to apologize about what you said. Something just came to mind when I heard that phrase. As for the Crystal Empire, perhaps Princess Cadence and Shining Armor can help you with your surges. The Crystal Ponies are known for their working with emotions, so maybe they have some additional knowledge."

Princess Twilight wondered still why Nova was thinking about Alicorns, almost as if he thought Alicorn magic would fix his issue. Maybe it wasn't that he craved the power, but that he was desperate for a way to fix it. Desperate ponies will do desperate things. 

"I will have my assistant Spike send a letter to Princess Cadence and Shining Armor alerting them to your arrival as well as the guards, although I don't think that they will be too worried about your surges considering their foal has shown to be quite a hoof-full with her magic surges!" 

"Interesting. So Alicorn Foals have magical surges.  This may be worth some studying,  if they'd let me foal sit.   Perhaps if I were to analyze the magic of the Alicorn Foal and learn how to fix it's surges,  fixing my own would be a piece of cake.  Assuming they'd let me study the magic of their foal and learn how the power she possesses works,  so I could correct the issue of the surges of course. "   Nova Burst sighed as he nearly face hoofed for he was that annoyed with his bucking magical surges that were a problem he needed to fix. They had become more than annoying,  and were dangerous. It was a good thing his knowledge of combat magic was rather limited,  and he'd have to keep it that way until he got the surges under control.   "Well,  it will be a long journey to the Crystal Empire given that a few days ago I spent the last of my bits on something for you,  my friend."   With that he levitated an item he had mostly made himself, a necklace for Twilight Sparkle out of one of his saddle bags.  The necklace resembled the Element of Magic,  but had no special properties whatsoever. The gold part had been made himself,  but another pony had been paid to put the jewel in and set it.   "Consider it a gift between friends.  I did my best to make te gold part,  but can't take credit for setting the gemstone or choosing it out,  or crafting it. "

"I think you would have to ask Princess Cadence and Shining Armor about foalsitting Flurry Heart," Twilight said worried a little that Nova was simply wishing to study the foal than actually take care of her. Plus with the magical power Flurry exhibited, foal sitting her could prove to be quite a hoof-full for anypony! 

"Well,  it will be a long journey to the Crystal Empire given that a few days ago I spent the last of my bits on something for you,  my friend." 

Twilight was shocked. For the moment she thought that her meeting with Nova was a random occurrence, but hearing that he had a gift for her meant that he planned to see her for some time. It was very touching. But what doubly surprised the Princess was the necklace presented bearing a mock up of the Element of Magic. 

"Consider it a gift between friends.  I did my best to make te gold part,  but can't take credit for setting the gemstone or choosing it out,  or crafting it. "

"Wow... I don't know what to say. Thank you for this!"

A thought came to mind as Twilight realized it would be unwise to simply accept the gift and not give one in return. with a flicker of her horn she produced a book with a quill and ink pot. 

"Well as my new friend, and to help you with your progress of your magic, please accept this journal and supplies. I find that even now I like to record what I learned with magic and how much I progress in my studies. Hopefully it will be useful in your ongoing studies." 

• 4 weeks later...

Nova Burst hugged Twilight with his hooves,  after he took the book with the quill and ink pot in his magic. His control was getting better but he still had a lot of work to do before he believed he could be ready to handle his magic.   With that he'd pack the quill,  book and ink pot into his saddle bags and look at the Princess,  Twilight Sparkle.  She was truly the princess of friendship,  for he'd made a new friend upon his arrival in Ponyville. Namely her.  Of course eventually he'd need somewhere to call home permanently and would probably choose Ponyville since she could keep the authorities from getting too angry because of his magical surges. The bucking surges needed to stop... now.   "So... soon I'll head off to meet your brother.  Hopefully he and the guards won't mind my magic surges. If they do, I'll just go elsewhere. I've done it before after all,  and can keep doing it if need be." 

Twilight didn't expect the hug from the stallion. It wasn't that she opposed them, just that typically only her friends and family gave her hugs. Still it was nice to see that somepony cared so much about her advice.

"Well I wish you safe travel to the Crystal Empire and the best of luck there meeting my brother and learning about your magic. I don't think the guards will mind your surges. Just remember that the best way to face a problem is not by running from it but through practice and understanding learning to lessen its impact if not solve it all together."

Once the hug ended,   Nova Burst nodded. There were some spells that you didn't even ATTEMPT when you had magic surges. For him Teleportation was about the top of that list,  because he didn't want to end up a pile of ashes if he should somehow lose control.   "Alright. I'll go try my best to meet up with your brother and make sure the package is delivered, my friend. In any case,   I should be off. Don't want to keep you busy too long, or make your guards more antsy about me because of my surges likely having concerned them..."  With that Nova Burst walked out of her castle,  carrying the gifts she'd given him in his magic.  The princess was truly wonderful and had helped him to recover partially from the 'trauma' of the magic surges.  Still he had a long way to go before he could bring any of the surges under control and that meant he had work to do. 

[Thread Conclusion]

Archived