Goodnight, Little Slayer... Goodnight.

BassClef

You've heard the stories of how Equestria was established. How the three pony races found peace. But you haven't heard anything about the special bond a young unicorn boy had with his Earth sitter. After being handed off to the Earth pony by his parents so they could go to war, the boy was more than a bit angry he was being left with a "Mud Roller" as his father called Earth ponies. The boy was always trying to be like his father. The man was his role model. Once, he killed an Ursa Minor, and only came back with one scar. He even wounded an Ursa Major! Single handedly! (the beasts attacked their village)

It was raining. Three ponies were walking over to a specific house in territory that was not their own. They are Unicorns, and they were in Earth Pony territory. The smaller one looked up to his father, whom he resembled almost entirely. "Vater... Why must I go to this place? It is full of... Mud Rollers..." The boy asked his father. But instead, his mother chimes in. "You know why... We cannot find a sitter for you! Und stop saying that! That is very rude... Although, it is true..." The boy now looks to his mother, and with a whine he begged her. "Please, Mutter! Don't leave me with him!"

"No more talking! Both of you!" The father sternly states. "We are here..." He looked into the window of the sitter's house, and gave the pass knock only he and the sitter knew. It was a sign that he was in need of assistance.

Forge Ivory sat down comfortably in his chair with audiable sigh. It had been long day for the stallion and he wanted nothing more than to relax. The fire he just made crackled gently as it greedily ate at the logs Forge provided for it. It heated up the small home quite nicely. The rather large stallion listened as the pattering of rain echoed off of the roof. It was nights like this that reminded him of much simpler times when was just a wee lad. The lulling sound of the fire and rain made Forge's already heavy eye lids even more so . And as the weary Earth pony was about to embrace sleep, a famalier sound caught his attention. "What in the name of?" He paused listening again. That almost sounded like... No, it couldn't be.

Forge Ivory got to his feet once more and walked to the door and found himself quite surprised by what he saw on the other side. There standing the pouring rain was a famalier face he had not seen in many seasons. "Y-you." He said a bit dumbfounded. He snapped out of his daze once he saw the other two. "Come in quick. Befer' ye catch yer death." He said moving to the side to allow the visitors into his home.

"Danke. We must talk about our... Son." The stallion in the ragged hood entered the home, followed by his wife and son, whom both wore the same ragged hoods. The boy stopped at the door way though, and looked up at the huge earth pony. "I have seen worse..." He states, then entered the room. "This is our boy. Masquerade. We need someone to... Watch over him. I am fighting in the wars that our great race will win. So is my wife. Every unicorn that we asked to watch Masquerade, would not do It... I must admit, you were my last choice to leave my son with. But... This is a desperate time..."

Forge held the door open as the family entered. "Go warm yerself by that fire, Lass." He gave a polite nod to the mare as she passed. He quirked a brow as the little hooded figure stopped in the door way and looked up at him. "Aye, I could say the same, lad." He snorted humorously and closed the door behind him locking it as well. The stallion spun on his heels and observed his old acquaintance as he spoke. Forge waited until he finshed before speaking himself. "So let me get this straight." He began folding his massive arms over his chest and leaning against the wall. "Ye want me ta' watch over yer pup while ye and yer lass go off fighten' in a war that shouldn't even be?" He paused letting his words sink in. "And ye thought he would be safe in Earth territory?" The stallion chuckled and shook his head. " Excuse my askin' but, I just can't see yer reasonin', mate."

"Like I said... You were the last, LAST choice of mine! I know he isn't safe here! I know how crazy I sound! That's why, if anything happens to my son... I will make sure your life ends! Do you understand me? Mud roller..." The older stallion's horn glows with a red aurora, his eyes look like they are on fire with rage. There was an old saying around this time. 'Nothing is worse that a Unicorn scorn.' But, being the voice of reason for her husband, the mare shouted at him. "That is enough!" The stallion quickly calmed down after that. "I am sorry..." Spoke the mare. "We are desperate... We know we shouldn't be in this fight... But its our Unicorn pride that wont let us sit back and watch! We beg you... Keep our son safe!"

The red head stayed in his place as the the other stallion started his yelling. He kept his arms crossed though held his head a bit higher and his eyes harden. It was hard for him to hold his tongue but, he did. He didn't want to scare the little one or possibly alert any of the neighbors. "Stow that horn of yer's mate befer' ya loose it." He growled but didn't act upon it. He let out a sigh and focused his attention on the mare. He studied her for a moment then the stallion and finally the boy. He looked at the scrawny lad before letting a long and heavy sigh. "Aye, okay...I'll keep watch over the boy." He sighed waving his hand in defeat."I'll keep 'im safe."

"Danke! We can't say this enough... We are in your debt, now and forever!" The small boy finally takes his hood off. He is a spitting image of his father. His mane is red and green, his fur is green, and his eyes are red as well! Just like his father. The boy let out a small yawn. They had been traveling for a while, mostly through teleportation... But the boy was still tired. "Where will he be sleeping?" Asked his father. "I... Need to say one last good bye. Alone."

The green-eyed stallion glanced at the colt finally getting a good look at him in depending on the dim light the fire place provided. The boy looked like an exact replica of his father right down the ruby red eyes. Forge could only hope that the lad had his mother's temperament. He thought with a smirk. If the foal took after his father in that department as well then...he would definitely have his hands full. He sighed. He supposed he would just have to deal with that later. His ears pricked at the male unicorn's question. Right, the tyke needed a place to sleep. "Oh, aye. This way." He said motioning for them to follow. The house had an upstairs but, was no way large in the slightest. "If I had known of this little visit ahead of time" A pointed look over his shoulder at the farther. "Then I probably would be a bit more prepared." He complained but led them up the stairs non the less. At the top were two doors. The right leading to the master bed room, his room, and then the right to the guest room. Forge opened the door to the left and stepped back to let the two enter. The room was not very spacious at all but, it still had a rather cozy feel to it. Pushed up against the wall was a decent size bed. One that Forge himself could never hope to sleep in without his limbs dangling over the sides, however, it would be plenty comfortable for the small colt. Next to the bed was a small bed side table with a drawer and pushed to the other side of the wall was a table and chair. All being crafted by the blacksmith himself. "I'll leave ya to it then." He said rubbing the back of his neck before trodding back down the steps to let them say their goodbyes. Things would surely be getting emotionally up there in a few moments.

((Think of the house as the one in Whiterun on Skyrim. Breezehome with a bit of changes to it :)))

(Ah, gotcha!)

The room was indeed a but small, especially in a unicorn's view. A typical child's room would be very spacious, with a double bed. The young unicorn looked around the small room. It was strange and new... What if there was a monster under the bed? Or one behind the door? The little one started shaking and grabbed onto his fathers hand for comfort. His father was strong. A demon slayer! He should be able to protect him! "Thank you... Old friend. Secret brother, even... I cant thank you enough..." Said the stallion. Now taking his son over to the bed. As soon as the Earth stallion was gone, the boy shivered and said, "V-Vater! W-what if there is a m-monster under the bed! O-or behind the door!" The boy was truly afraid. His father sighed and set the boy in bed. "Son... There is nothing here... Nothing that will harm you... Would you like me to sing the song for you?" The boy smiled and nodded. His father sung this song that would help him sleep. His father smiled, and poofed a lute with his magic, and began to play.

"There's a monster that lives neath your bed.

Oh for crying out loud,

It's mattress on the floor, he must be flat as a board!

There's a creature that hides behind the door.

Though I've checked there fifteen times, when I leave then he arrives!

Tell the monster, that lives neath your bed.

He should go somewhere else instead, or you'll kick him in the head!

Tell the creature, that hides behind the door.

If he knows what's good he won't come here no more, cuz you'll kick in his but at the count of four!

Goodnight, demon slayer, goodnight...

Now its time, to close your tired eyes!

There's demons to slay and dragons to ride, if they see you coming, they better hide!

Goodnight!

Goodnight!

Goodnight...

Goodnight, my little slayer, goodnight..."

(yeah, if you wanna get an idea of how the song goes, its actually a Voltaire. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Uab6qzM9sI based this part of the RP on this song.)

The stallion paused in his desent of the steps as the father's voice drifted from the room. A small grin appeared as he listened before completely walking back down the steps and entering back into the main room. To think only a few moments ago he was so tired that he could sleep for  two moons in a row. However, it seemed he would not find that sleep tonight. In just a few short moments he became the guardian of a little unicorn foal. Forge let out a sigh he glanced and remembered the mare in the room. She looked quite worn out herself. A mother shouldn't be seperated from her foal...he thought so anyways. The stallion took some cloth and wrapped a half loaf bread and two apples in it before walking over to the mare and holding it out to her. "Here, lass." His voice was deep but gentle. "Ye look ready ta' fall o'ver...." He studied her for a moment. "It isn't much but it should help."

((I liked it! Voltaire is a pretty neat band. I believe my favorite song by them is Brains. :) Also little Masquerade is adorable.  I foresee ol' Forge having a time with him. X3))​

So the father and son bonding time was at an end. And now was for the real goodbye. With the boy in bed and ready to sleep, the older stallion held back his tears as he was getting ready for his possibly final words with his son. "Son, I... I can't begin to tell you how much you mean to me... And its... It's really hard for me to..." The strong stallion could not hold back any longer. His voice cracked and his eyes were wet. The boy had never seen his father cry before. He looked up to him as a hero who never felt petty feelings such as fear and sadness... The site was... Unsettling. The stallion who had laughed in the face of death, finally met his limit... Losing his son. "I love you, Masquerade..." The boy was speechless. He didn't really understand what was going on... But, if his father was crying... Maybe it was truly bad. "Vater... I-is everything going to be alright?" The boy asked curiously. "Yes... Yes, everything is fine... This Stallion... He's a good pony. We were... Secret brothers. He's gonna make sure everything is fine..." Now, the time had come to leave the room. It felt like ages had passed in the short amount of time they were in there. Moments like this... Tend to take a while. The stallion dried his tears and collected himself, as he stood to walk away. Masquerade was in total shock now. He sat in his bed and waited... He would not sleep all night that night.

The mare was completely lost in thought. Would they return to see their son again? Or would they die and be left face down in the dirt. Never to be seen again. Her deep trance was broken by the food being offered. "Oh... D-Danke... I... I-I just, got lost in thought..."

He handed over the bundle provisions to her once she was out of her trance. "Think nothin' of it. I kno' its been ah hard night." He couldn't erase the pity he had for the mare from his look. The green-eyed male wished he could somehow convince them otherwise but, he knew that it would not work. He wasn't the best at convincing others...minus brute force and on top of it, these unicorns were a stubborn breed. Forge placed his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort the worried mother. "Ah kno' ye don't really kno' me...but I give ye mah word, Lass." He paused and locked gazed with her. "I'll keep yer babe safe...I promise ye that." He meant every word too. This was his secret brother's child. It wouldn't be easy but, he would be sure to keep the boy safe from until his parents for him. Ivory gently patted her shoulder before dropping his hand back down to rest at his side. The shuffling of footsteps signaling the elder stallion was making his decent.

• 2 weeks later...

The older stallion made his way downstairs, his face was very wet with tears. He took a deep breath and looked at his wife. "It's... Time." He said. His wife looked to him with understanding, looking over to Forge with a smile. "We're just glad you could take care of him... I know... This isn't easy for you."

(my replies are going to be short... I need to get back into this...)

Forge glanced between them before giving a curt nod to the mother. "It's no problem, ma'am." He replied with a small smile that he hoped would prove to seem encouraging, however, it still held pity within. She was right it was hard. He felt for the two, he felt for the little colt upstairs that was know doubt crying his eyes out. The big stallion then turned his attention to the elder one in the room and took a step forward clasping his shoulder and leaning in closer. It was a bit unsettling to see the wetness on his face. Forge had known this Unicorn for quite some and in all those years he had only seem him cry once. And now here they were both grown and standing in the middle of his home discussing the life of the older stallions son. "Ya listin' to me good now. I'll take care of yer boy but, ye have to promise to come back for him." He whispered to the other emerald green eyes meeting with ruby reds. He gave a small smile to him though he could feel his throat tighten with greif. Would this be the last time he would see his brother? "Don' make me come lookin' fer ya." He squeezed the Unicorn's shoulder gently as he felt tears pricking the corners of his eyes. "Ye know I will...promise me that, brother"

((That's not a problem. :)))​

The green stallion stood dumbfounded. It's been too long since he and his brother were together, and now they're saying goodbye again. Tears came back into his eyes, and he felt a lump in his throat. Without warning, the unicorn stallion pulled Forge into a hug. "We'll come back... We'll come back..." The mare prepared herself for a Long trek back to the safety of unicorn territory. "Come now... We need to get to the rally." She told her husband. He let the earth stallion go and shook his hand. "Goodbye... Brother." And he put his hood on, and leg with his wife.

Forge watched quietly as the two left and the door closed behind them. And then just as they came they were gone. The stallion stood stalk still the greif he fel seemed to make him freeze. "We'll be watching for you." He mumbe to himself and cleard the tears that had gathered in the corner of his eyes. Nope. No. He didn't have time to feel sorry for himself their was a little colt upstairs that he needed to check on. And with that thought in mind, the blacksmith moved to the door and locked it with a quick gance out the window. He rubbed the ache in his neck as he sighed and started to tramp back up stairs. He had to check on him. Forge Ivory's hand hovered over the door knob before sighing and quietly pushing it open to peer in.

The young boy was not asleep at all. This whole thing was all to shocking for him, he just couldn't sleep with all of these questions in his head... Masquerade saw the door slightly open and called out, "Who is there?" He sat up in his bed, waiting for it to be his father to say, 'We've changed our minds... Lets go home, son!'

The stallion stiffend in place at hearing the tiny hopeful voice. Oh, it sounded so hopeful. Half of Forge hoped that the little boy would be asleep. Maybe then they could both bury their feelings until morning, however, that didn't look like it was going to happen. With a soft sigh Forge Ivory pushed the door open and took a step in. "H-Hey there, lad." His voice a bit unsure on how to handle a situation like this. "Just wanted ta' check on ye." He gave a weak smile in order to appear less threatening. "Mind if ah com' in?"

Archived