Carry on down the road (Skype RP log)

Blueblood

Tincho hummed to himself as he trotted softly down the road. It was a cool morning. The nice coat he work keeping the chill away. He noted clouds in the distance. 'Hmm may be i am walking into a storm again. I should likely find a place to latch the cart down and ride it out.' He thought to himself. As he kept walking he began to look around. He spotted a few other traveling ponies. Stoppong his art he tried to hail their attention. "I say! Does any pony know of a suitable place by which i can park my cart? I do not wish to get caught in the storm!"

~

Flying Brick wore no coat, never had.  She'd tell any pony who asked that it was because it impeded her movement; that she wanted the freedom to break out into a run or a dance at any moment without being tripped up by fabric.

In reality, the more pressing reason was that she could rarely afford one.  An affluence of bits was a rare occasion for a street performer, and any she got generally went to good meals or nights in an actual bed.  Still, one had to pay a price for liberty!

It wasn't bad, usually; Equestrians were generous folk, and the weather was nice enough to make sleeping outside more attractive than otherwise.  Today, however, promised to be one of the miserable ones.  Cold, wet, with a long walk in front of one.  

The earth pony mare, therefore, was keeping a lookout for any kind of shelter herself when the stranger called out to her.  "Eh, maybe set up by tree group?"  she pointed to a grove in the distance.  The trunks looked thick, but the foliage thin

~

The stallion looked her over and smiled. "Thank you kind mare. Here. For you." He turned his head. Though his facade was of an earth pony today, his cart opened magically. Producing a cloak and levitating it out to her. "No fair mare should be without a cloak on a day as this. Parchance do you need a place that is dry? My cart is open of you need somewhere to stay."

~

"Eeyy!"  The earth pony mare was apparently impressed at the stallion's little trick.  Perhaps that was because she'd shared her street corners with practitioners of legerdemain before, and had developed an appreciation of the art.  "Many thanks!  Is good to find generous pony right before rain, da?"  She laughed, trotting up beside him as they made their way to the glade.

~

"Indeed my fair mare. I have food as well. Come. You may relax while i prepare a meal for us to share. And while the storm passes over we can remain dry tonight." He spoke with a gentle tone. One well accustomed to speaking to ponies he didnt know." As they approached the glade he watched the birds seeking shelter as well. "Seems to be a bad storm. I am glad to have met you. It is not often i have company in my travels. Would you be so kind as to tell me your name?"

~

"Smooth talker, generous hooves.  You sweep the roads for mares like this, eh?"  She laughed again at her jokes, even louder this time.  Quite the jovial pony, this one.  In any case, she wasn't one to look a gift, or gift giver, in the mouth, as it were.

"Am Flying Brick.  Ah, but you think bricks don't fly?  Never seen Stalliongrad construction site, then!"  And she laughed again, disturbing the birds from their perches.

~

The stallion laughed as well. "Pleasure to meet you Ms. Flying Brick. i am Tincho. And... No i have not seen stalliongrad. I hear it is lovely. But yes.. i am a traveler. And if i meet a pretty mare, well i can not help but believe that there is a reason for meeting every pony." As they came to the glade. He turned ans backed the cart between a pair of trees. Once he was sure the cart was settled he pushed the locking break in place. Then set wooden wedges fore and hind each wheel. Once done he opened the back of the cart. Levitating out a simple pot on a stand. He brought out a pre cut log and set it under the pot. Then came the matches. Carefully lighting the log he let the fire crackle merrily as he moved to examine what to cook.

~

The wind was starting to pick up, streaming the smoke from the fire through the glade.  Flying Brick, for her part, moved to the fire, eager to get close to the warmth.  Growing up north may have toughened her to the cold, but also had made her hungry for heat.

And food.  She was always hungry for food.  "What is the cooking?  No fear for my stomach; I'll eat anything.  Not picky, not after grandma's borsch!"

~

The stallion came out slowly holding a  basket of bread and cheese. As well as several vegatables. "I think soup with bread would be lovely. Just let me get the water from the can." He set the basket down and moved to the side of the cart. Picking up a large cup he used magic again to open the large metal milk can and fill the cup with water. After sealing the can he came over and poured the water into the pot. Then he began chopping the vegitables magically as he spoke. "You seem rather calm to see an Earth pony using magic. You either have seen this before or you dont care my lady." As he spoke he levitated an apple out to her. 

He was calm. No sign of aggression. He was actually wondering if she had met some of his kind before. And as it was, he was frankly tired of the facade. It had its perks where rich ponies lived. But ... in the lower class places he wanted to be one of them. Comfortable and happy. And not hiding behind a mask.

~

"Eh, I see more impressive tricks."  Brick waved a hoof dismissively.  Apparently, she didn't think it real magic, and that was understandable enough.  Many stage magicians were earth ponies, it made their shows of "magic" all the more impressive.

Still, she looked at him curiously as he levitated the vegetables and ingredients, plucking the apple out of the air with raised brow.

~

He smiled. "As well. I do not often perform. Only when trying to sell something." He continued cooking until it was all in the pot. Then he let it simmer. As itwas cooking he smiled. "Where all have you been? Im sure a pretty mare as yourself has been many places."

~

So... Brick was puzzled at this pony.  He was a sales-stallion... who incorporated legerdemain?  "Well, it keep ponies from slamming door in face, that for sure!  Free show, good stuff for cheap, That your pitch, eh?"

She laughed, and didn't stop when he called her pretty.  It wasn't too off-center; she had the lean, toned looks of a dancer, but she hadn't had a bath for a day or two.  Dust and raggedness accumulated fast when you lived out in the open.  "Me, zherebets?  My looks get me nowhere; my hooves take me everywhere."

~

He chuckled softly in return. "And that my dear is where you are wrong. Your hooves take you from town to town. But your beautiful smile keepa their eyes on your performance." He checked the pop. Nodding he sat again. It was almoat ready. 

"Tell me something. How is it that you came to be ao far out here on your own?"

~

"Eh..."  There was only so long that a mare was going to deny a compliment.  Catching a whiff of the delicious-smelling soup, she grinned, showing off that selfsame smile.

"Out so far?  Could never stay in one place long.  Restless, perhaps.  But also need to vary location; routine get stale if you repeat it too long.  Share with others, get enough bits to get to next place.  Alone...."  She didn't have so ready an answer for that.  "Eh, never joined circus.  Could not stand ringmaster."

~

He nodded knowingly. "As. As well myself. I never found a shop to settle into... and many a stallion stares at me angrily as i leave town. I find it best to keep moving on." 

He patted the cart. "Tis why i pirchased this cart. Shes sturdy, warm, dry, and above all has room enough for my wares and the occasional companion." The pot began to bubble. And just in time too. Thunder rumbled close by. As he picked up the pot he motiones her to follow. Setting it on a rest in the cart he bade her enter first. "Fair maidens first. I shall extinguish the camp fire before joining you."

~

She perked up curious as Tincho mentioned the reasons he never stayed put either.  The elliptical reference left a gap to be filled, but her memory of his effusive compliments did the trick.  "Quite the sly wolfhound you, eh *zeherebets*?"  

She chuckled as he finished cooking.  Nodding as his chivalry, she spooned a bow of the stew before bowing into the cart.  It was like its owner said, warm and dry.  Good shelter for the coming night.

~

As he joined her after putting out the coals, the rain began to fall. He pulled the back door and curtain shut. Lighting a candle. The cart was packed at the front, leaving the back open for occupants. As well there were two bedrolls and pillows. As he took a portion for himself he spoke. "I am glad i saw youm i would hate to think you out in this at night." 

As he sat to eat, he opened a small pipe in the roof. The top was covered, allowing air to circulate but not let rain in.

~

"Glad I see you too!  Cheers to happy coincidence on road, eh?"  Raising her bowl in toast, she dove into it's contents with loud slurps of appreciation.  In a few minutes, the bowl was empty, and she sat back, satisfied.

"Is good.  Is very good.  Where you learn to cook, mother's knee?"

~

He smiled to see her enjoy his cooking. When asked he shook his head. "No. No my mother had many foals. I didnt see her often. I... well i learned on the road. Mostly self taught. Here i have a book." He reached a hoof up ans tipped a book off a shelf. 

It was a small book and landed on a bedroll with a light thump. 'How to cook on the road. Easy recipies for hungry travelers.' The cover said. "I learned from that. Its mostly soups and simple sandwiches. But it tastes good." He ate his slowly. "There is more left if you are still hungry."

~

"Oh, big family then?  Hard to get attention in loud house?  I get you.  Had one like yours in floor below flat when growing up."  She eagerly took up the offer of seconds, refilling her bowl for another eager dive into the stew.

After a few minutes, when she emerged truly satisfied, Flying Brick stretched out on one of the sleeping mats.  "Hm... so, where you say you come from?  Cannon place your accent.  Mine is more obvious, da?"

~

He set his bowl down. And sighed. "I'm not from Equestria... im from... well....just promise not to scream ok..?" He closed his eyes and gathered his courage. "I came from the Changling Hive. I am a changling...." 

There. He said it. As he sat there he tried to pick up his bowl again. His appitite was less now. But he was still hungry.

~

Flying Brick stared at Tincho for a while, and then threw back her head for the loudest laugh so far that evening.  "BWahahahaha!  Pull one of other ones, has bells on!"  Apparently, she didn't think the stallion was serious...

But as she stopped to breathe, and noticed that he was not joining in, her laughter faded.  "Wait... are serious, *tovarich*?"

~

He set his bowl down. As the illusion faded, the strong stallion was replaced with a slightly undersized changling in the same clothing. He didnt seem menacingnor threatening. He was docile and quiet. As the illusion retuenes he picked up his bowl again.

~

Brick's magenta-tinged irises shrank as the whites of her eyes grew wide.  She began to breathe more rapidly; she'd heard stray rumors than changelings were beginning to live a little more openly in Equestria, but she hadn't paid them much mind.

Besides the sudden shock, though, was her history.  She had been at ground zero during one of the Hive's forays into Equestria.  Of course, she'd be lying if she didn't think the fight as exciting as it was frightening, but it still left its mark with her.

And here the mare was, alone, with one of them.  He was... just there.  Not doing much.  "*Tovaritch*..."  Her tone was lower, a little less benign than before.  "You call me up here, flatter me... because you hunger?"

~

He shook his head. "No. No i make it a point to never lure a pony for that. If i needes that... i would wine and dine one of those stuck up mares in upper Canterlot. Thats how i feed that... no. I.."

He hesitated because of how stupid his next sentance would sound. "I invites you in here because im lonely. I wanted some pony to speak too. As well you looked tired and hungry. I hoped i could help you out in return for you spending a few days traveling with me.." he knew what happened. He was in Canterlot for the wedding assault. What was more was that this was one of the survivors of the school raid. His cowardice proved his salvation. He had scampered away while thw rest were fighting.

~

Flying Brick stared hard at Tincho throughout all his speaking.  Her face was stark and unreadable, like a wall with no graffiti.  "Lonely and hungry seem to me same thing for changeling, da?"

~

He didnt speak as he just looked down. After a moment he looked up. "Normally you would be right. But i am not of the hive anymore. I have lived among you ponies for a while. I have seen what it means to be alone... and i dont like being alone. I dont like lying about who and what i am. But i dont want to frighten any pony. I..... i just want to belong somewhere. Its hard when i play the same role every day. Ponies notice so i have to move on and not come back for a while." 

He stopped talking and just sat there. After a moment he summoned up some courage. "If you think i am lying then do what you will. Lying my be my way of life... as it always was. But i dare say... i do not lie to a pony i would have considered my friend."

It was a while yet before Flying Brick's gaze softened even one iota.  She couldn't say that she didn't sympathize with his wandering lifestyle, though hers was more of choice than of necessity.  It was not in her nature to stay mad, or to hold grudges.  And it was hard to blame Tincho, really, for not revealing himself at first, in front of the whole crowd...

"Look, zherebets, suppose not you can help being what you are.    Is one thing to acknowledge, another to share roof with, /da/?"  She looked outside, to where the rain was coming down, before shaking her head.  "Will not leave tonight.  Will talk more in morning.  Need to sleep on question."   Left unsaid was that a night watching over the changeling would also be helpful in measuring his true trustworthiness.

~

Tincho nodded. Placing a lid on the soup he lay back on his own bedroll. Pulling away from her to give her space. 

The night passed with him sleeping there. As the sun rose it eased the storm. He rose early and went into the rain to revive the flames and reheat the soup for breakfast.

~

Flying Brick had not slept well.  Staying up half the night keeping an eye on your roommate will do that to you.  After a night in which nothing happened, she awoke, stretched, groaned, and rummaged around for anything that smelled vaguely of coffee.

Finding a few unground beans, she popped them in her mouth and crunched them, stumbling out into the rain.  "Blah, bad night."

~

Looking at her he smiled. "I shall have food ready." His smile was hollow. He had a coffee pot beside him as the flames crackled softly.

"Would you like coffee?"

~

The mare spat out the grounds.  "Please."  The rain wasn't improving her mood, but many ponies were like that before coffee.  Normally, she wasn't that sort of pony, but after a sleepless night...

~

He nodded and put the coffee on. As it was cooking he levitated a loaf of bread to her.  "Here. The soup shall be warm in a few moments." 

His suave tone was gone. He knew he had frightened her. He needed to keep from doing that again

~

Tincho's plainspokenness was, in it's way, refreshing.  Like a cup of cold water to wash the taste of the night away.  Still, bread and coffee did it better, and by the time Brick received both, she was managing to smile again.

"Well, keeping self from sleep did not make night safer.  Or more restful.  Suppose, then, you are not so bad, eh?"

~

He nodded softly. Taking his meal quietly he sat opposite her. "I try. It doesn't always work." He took a moment to fetch more bread before speaking. "I am sorry. I should have told you what i was to begin with."

~

"Nyet, tovaritch, I understand why you didn't.  Easier to reveal things one on one."  Of course, he might have been referring to the start of the time they were alone, but Brick felt she ought to help him save a little face.

~

He nodded. "As i said.. i do not lure ponies into my cart to feed. I cultivate that from the wealthy mares of high society." He sat his food down. "As fully fed as i am... i do not require solid foods as you do. I merely keep it because if i do not feed i would need it."

~

"Hm... they may not look it, but high society mares are still ponies."  Post-coffee acceptance of the world and existing in it aside, Brick was still a little leery of the whole 'feeding on love' thing.  "Is not really all different; all want affection, and it is mean to offer fake for real."

~

He nodded. "I know. But tell me another option. If your reaction last night was an indication... i dont think i would last long indeed....and i dont just mooch off society. I buy and sale wares. I make my living honestly...even if i lie about who i am... i try not to mess up." He was distressed. Her words had struck a cord

~

Brick shrugged.  "Eh, if you must lie to others, don't lie to self.  Don't think an act is any nicer because you fool pony with more money."  Gulping down the bread, she looked over at the distressed Tincho with a little more tenderness.  "Still, you have heart in right place, I think."

~

He just sat there. He was practially wondering about her mental stability. Its was a bad thing but it was a good thing? Was sge mad or just clueless....or both? As he pondered he lost his appitite. The little food he had fixed for himself sat almost untouched. And cold now. standing he dug a small hole and poured the cotents of his bowl in it before burying it again. "Im going to pack up the cart and be ready to travel. You can ride insode and stay dry if you want."

~

Like most practical ponies, or at least ponies who thought that being practical was the opposite of being intellectual, Flying Brick believed that Truth was more important than logic.  This, combined with her accent, contributed to a confusion of speech, though not so much of thought.  She knew, by instinct, that Tincho was not evil, regardless of his actions.

"Eh, thank you.  You pull for morning, I take over after lunch.  Sound alright, eh?"

~

He paused a moment. "Dont worry about it. Im a fair bot stronger than the average earth pony. I pull this cart all day alone most days. Just enjoy having your hooves up." He tried a smile. But it seemed faint now. 

As he finished loading he buried the coals and let the cooking pot cool so that it would not start a fire in the cart while she finished her meal.

~

"Hm..."  Flying Brick wasn't sure about that.  Earth Ponies were pretty strong, and Tincho hardly had a physique that promised anything more than that.*

In any case, she finished her meal, hefting the now-cooled pot into the cart for him.  "No need to take all burden on self, eh?  But I am curious to see how you do.  Never see changeling built so strong.  Eh, but then never see Changeling from Stalliongrad!  We build strong like bull!"

~

His smile cracked a little. The cart began to glow as it lifted a few inches off the ground. "Remember... we have magic. We can offset or physical weakness by offsetting the task at hoof. I may be a poor changling. But im decent with manual work. I learned the lessons about gravity the hard way when i was young. Got tossed off a cliff. You either fly or die..." he set the cart down gently. changing his image to that of a unicorn, he hitched himself to the cart quietly. The front window opened for her. "There. Now air can flow in. If you like, there are a a few coats back there. Pull one on if you feel cold."  He waites for her to be ready. 

In truth he was showing off a bit. It was his pride. Being versitile. Able to do many things. Even though he was certain others could do them better. He had picked up skills on his travels. Making sure that there was always something he could do. 

Once they were moving he stuck to the road and kept a steady pace. Tye cart was built light. And while physically he was weak, he could lighten the cart magically a little to keep it moving without straining.

~

"Eh..."  Not that Brick had fallen off a cliff, per se, but she'd taken a few accidental dives from tall buildings.  Basically the same thing.  "Is possible to break fall against sides.  If there is building opposite.  True, break bones when you break fall, but better than breaking neck!"

And with that expression of Stalliongrad cheerfulness, the mare hopped aboard, making the cart bounce upon its magical suspension.  "Alright, then.  Show me stuff!"

Well... if she was expecting speed, she was going to be disappointed.  But for a moderate one and seemingly effortless on his part too, it was eye-opening enough.  "Hm, is very useful, will say."

~

"I wish i knew better spells than just these... i... well i wanted to be a mage when i decided to live among pony kind. But seeing as all the great mages are so devoted to the princesses... id likely be arrested and imprisoned the moment i tried to approwch one for apprenticeship. No doubt Celestia is still angry over the incident with the wedding..." 

As they rolled down the road he kept fairly quiet. As they came across a passing merchant cart he pulled over. Letting them pass he waited. Once they were gone he carried on. The rain began to grow heavy again. "Storms picking up strength... we better find a place to park."

~

Celestia had never struck Brick as the sort to hold a grudge.  True, the Changeling Queen would likely get a frosty reception.  Literally, if the Princess knew Ice magic.  Still, a rank-and-file defector could probably be granted considerations... "You might be surprised...."

The mare was normally gregarious, but not when lying still.  And if the other wouldn't talk, than there wasn't much she could say in response.  Hence there was quiet until the rain poured down harder.  "Hm... glad is not snow, at least.  Or sleet.  Sleet is worst weather."

~

"I try to avoid it if i can. I keep a few days provisions. In case i have to stay put a while." Pulling off he found a large tock crop in an open area. Pulling beside it he parked and slipped in the back. 

"As for Celestia.... my task group would likely be attacked on sight.... our assaingment was a school."

~

Oooh... Yeah, that would probably not help his case at all.  "Not surprise you defect"  Brick said simply, before asking, "You didn't... hurt any of them, did you?"

~

"Me?  I'm a coward. I slipped away while the rest fought. As best i know... none of them were hurt. We couldnt get close. A guard was there....mad he was. Spells the likes i never saw. And bloody determined not to let us close. He took a horn to the chest. Pireced his armor and he kept going. After that...sight. i fled. Ran deep into the mountains behimd canterlot and stayed there a month. Hunger brought me back out." He sighed and shed his wet clothing. Setting up the pot he opened a vent in top and started a small fire in the pot. 

"No... i am a coward. I cant fight. And im scared of most every pony i meet....im weak for even a changling."

~

"Eh... sometimes getting out of fight takes more courage than getting into one.  Being afraid of seeming coward is fear, and fighting to not be seen one is giving into fear.  Is what mother teach me at knee."

~

He understood her words. They were true. But he had darker secrets. "I dont like being this... if there was a spell to make me a real pony... I'd take it. No matter the risks." He lay down. Showing signs of being tired suddenly. "Im going to sleep..." he said

~

"Hm..."  Flying Brick was not unacquainted with existential sorrow.  She wouldn't have known what that phrase meant, but she knew it when she saw it.  After all, her father had been a pegasus who could no longer fly, and her mother a dancer with a bad leg.  

"Magic never give easy solution..."  She said softly, reaching down to pull one of the coverings over to Tincho.  "Get rest.  I take watch"

~

It was several hours before he awoke. His illusion faded. He sat up. Hearing thunder outside made him shudder. 

Looking at the cart interior he felt the warmth of the small fire. As he moved close he saw her. She was still here.

~

Flying Brick had been watching the rain.  Nopony else had been passing by, but the lightning had made a good show.  Hearing Tincho stir, she looked back at him.  Smiling softly at him, she patted the floor next to her.

~

He came close. The clicking of his wings the only noise he made. His body was hard, like a shell. And cool to the touch. He shivered. Pulling the cover around himself as he stared at the fire. placing a few more stick in it before closing his eyes. 'Its cold.. i dont like cold. It makes me sore. And hungry...' his mind rolled over the thought. But he didnt look at her. No. She was not some mare to con out of a little affection. He could make due with some bread and cheese for a while.

~

He might not have been angling for affection... but he got sympathy, even with the look.  "Eh, is something one gets used to.  Stalliongrad was built like fortress against cold.  My home district is lit with forge fires; some days the smoke is so think the snow lays on top of it.  Is warm, those days.  Dirty, yes, but no mind that."

~

He nodded. 'Getting used to it... i cant. Im not built for it. My birth place was a lifeless mountain. Dry and windy. not cold. The caves were warm and dark.' He sighed and leaned on her. 'Whats it like...having parents?'

She let him lean on her, feeling the odd sensation of cool chitin against fur.  It was not unpleasant, just... odd.  Hard, shiny, but... not cold, exactly.  The closest thing she could remember was glass from a window, and that was cold.  In her city, at least.

"Eh... normal, I guess?  Never met a pony who never had them, so can't compare."

~

'Are they nice?' A simple question. But honest. It was as if he never had a parent. Just no family at all. 

The thunder made him shudder. He levitated the food bag up. Taking an apple. He ate slowly. Taking careful time to chew his food.

~

"...Yes.  Yes, they are nice."  What else could you say to a question like that?  Nothing.  Nothing could be said, but there were a few things that one could do.

When she felt Tincho shudder against her, she reached a hoof around to hold him.  A little affection, to go with his apple, offered freely.

~

His horn started to glow and he snuffed it out. He stuck to his apple. This was a friend. In all the chances she had. She hadnt hurt him. He wouldnt hurt her. He had refined his measure and stremgth of drawing the love out. But it still left a pony weakened. 

'You arent scared of me...' it was simply stated. He had the power and the chance. He couldnt take it. He just relaxed with her. 

After a moment he ate the core and spoke. 'i am afraid i didnt bring any good books. Just a few foals story books with pictures.'

~

"No.  I am not scared."  All that, and he still wouldn't feed.  It didn't seem quite fair, given that Brick wasn't the one pulling the cart.  Can't do a good day's work on an empty stomach.  She resolved that she would be pulling it when they started off again, no matter what he said!

"Eh... I don't read so well.  Never had book with no pictures before."

~

'Want me to read it to you?' He asked. After moment he levitated the book down. It was thick. But colorful. he lit a candle and set it on a plate set on the wall. 

The book had some pictures. But it was still mostly written words. As he sat by the mare his horn flickered again. He wasnt as well fed as he claimed.

~

Flying Brick nodded.  Nopony had read to her since she left home, and even back then she'd been embarrassed to ask after growing up.  She perked up hearing the story, but couldn't help but notice that Tincho was having trouble keeping his horn lit.  

"When were planning to eat next?  Really eat, I mean.  Is not short way to next town."

~

He paused from the story. 'I was hoping to avoid it actually. Usually i feed in Canterlot or Manehattan. But since i have been away... its been.. two months. Im probably half staved. But i dont care. I can at least say i stick to my morals.' He hissed. Almost like a chuckle. 

'Its been... honestly i dont jnow since i ate fully. just... sort of snacking as i go.'

~

"Well... if you carry on this way, you're not carrying cart, OK?  Is fine to keep empty stomach on principle, but is not fair to expect hard day's work on one!"  She nodded firmly, not brooking argument.  "I have my own morals, too."

~

He sighed. Closing the book. 'I cant... not from you. Its.. i have been able to refine the process. It wont cause you pain. But it will leave you light headed. Large feedings can even make you pass out. You are the first pony to actually know what i am and not resent me. I dont want to hurt you.' 

He said it. There it was.

~

There was a long pause before the mare spoke next.  "I meant that I would be pulling cart."

~

He paused. Putting a hoof on his face. 'Oh... forgive me. Im not thinking clearly..' leaning back against a small crate. His wings clicked softly. His horn flared a bit. Sparking and lighting the cart before dying out completely. 'I guess so... that was the last of my magic...'

~

"Clearly you are not."  Brick snorted, a little sad that the story was interrupted, but more sad at her... would it be right to say friend?  Tincho's condition was tugging at her.  Even if he was refusing to feed, and trying not to manipulate her... that wasn't changing things much.

"And from what you tell, feedings sound like free vodka substitute.  Not something to be sneezed at, da?"

~

He hissed another chuckle. 'I tried a long time to make it that way. As weak as i am i dont know if i could stop myself once i start... like.. a timberwolf thats caught scent of a wounded pony. Instinct is still instinct. You would likely sleep a whole day...' he sounded worried. 

'Worse yet... im a coward...im likely to try running away once you pass out...' that was shame. Not that he would run. But that he would abandon her

~

Well, she could understand that.  You get a pony really hungry, then take them to a restaurant, and the chef might not be happy at the extra work.  "Eh... just sleep for now.  When rain lets up, I will get cart going, da."

~

He nodded and lay back. It was near instant he was asleep. As he slumbered his legs or wings twitched on occation.

~

The rain lasted a good quarter of an hour after that, but once the storm passed, so did the clouds.  The cover was breaking up, leaving a blue sky behind.  Pausing only to cover the 'ling, Flying Brick emerged from the cart and hitched herself up.

The spell from before was still clinging to it, making the haul more or less easy for the earth pony.  "Da, is good at magic, this one."

~

Tincho slept until nightfall. His groggyness apparent as he awoke. 'Mmm its warm again...'

He was sore and hungry. He needed something in his stomach

~

Hearing stirring behind her, Brick called back, "Eh, Tincho!  You all right in there, tovaritch?"

~

'Y..yes. just hungry. Need to eat...' he said softly. His back ached as he stretched. He was used to the feeling of sleeping hungry like this. But he knew he had to feed soon. If nothing more than to keep from attacking his friend

~

Brick was one of those ponies who think best by moving, and during the trot she had come to realize something a little odd.  "Eh... one thing about your principles that are not up for the adding.  Why is it that it always leads to to unwilling ponies, and away from willing ones?"

~

'I have never met a willing pony. Only two know what i am. The other spared my life in exchage for me not attacking him when i had the chance... you are the other.' He reached into the bag. Taking a small wedge of cheese and eating.

~

"Well... if perhaps you were more honest up front, you would meet more?"  Even odds on that bet, but if he tried to look, he might be surprised at what he'd find.

~

'I'd rather keep my hide. The guards are not always too kind.' He finished his snack and looked out the front window 'i have to look at your workd differently. Suppose i am honest. What are the odds id be welcomed by your kind when they discover i helped attack foals?'

~

"You didn't.  You ran away."  The mare pointing out the salient fact.  "Look, no need to present self in worst light, but you can't go on like this.  Is not really sustainable."

~

'Its true. I cant go on like this.' The fear in his voice evident. He was terrified of what may happen. 'Alright. We can see how it goes in the next town. I will keep my eyes the same so ponies know what i am.'

~

Flying Brick nodded.  "Is good start.  Speaking of start... how about I open things up.  Hooves are stretched, time to run!"  Flashing back a grin, she started to pick up her pace a little bit.  

The cart, while not a burden on it's wheels, had not lost it's power of inertia.  Once it's puller got a pace going, they would find it very hard to slow down.  Not that slowing down seemed to have entered the mind of the accelerating mare...

~

The changling held to the window sill. But did not voice complaint. If it meant getting to where he could eat faster. All the better

~

The pace was rapid, and only increased.  The cart had surprisingly good shock absorption, given how well it handled the bumps at this speed.  "Hold on to your headlights!"  The earth pony mare called out, as the village came into sight...

~

The changling ducked down. Doing a quick appearance change before looking up again. His face scrunched as he prayed silently they wouldnt hit something. The cart was built to go offroad. But he had never tried this speed.

~

As they approached the town square, Brick's smile began to fade.  "Ah... eh... I can't stop!"  Well, she probably could stop running, but the cart would keep going without her...

~

He stuck his head out. "Hold on!!" His horn lit up. Breaking his illusion but picking up the cart and slowing it to a gentle stop. And her with it.

~

There was a skidding, scraping sound accompanying the braking which brought out the crowds to the little town.  Brick, suspended above the stones of the square, held her body stiff until her hooves touched the ground.  Upon "sticking the landing," he instincts kicked in, and she took a bow.

"In town we are, dynamic duo!  We please the sight with dance, and budget with goods!"

~

Tincho sat in the cart. Panting. That had used up all his reserves. He hurried to eat some food before instinct took over. Finishing his meal he sighed. Adjusting his suit he crafted the illusion. But left his eyes wings and horn.  At least they would know what he was. Stepping out he came right to Brick. 'Are you ok?"

~

The lapse of control, and thus of good humor, was only temporary in Brick's case.  "Never better, tovaritch!  Come out and meet the friendly ponies!"  And, it was true, the ponies were not reacting with hostility to Tincho's features.  Of course, they probably all thought it was just for show, given the introduction Brick had given.

~

Tincho saw them. They weren't hostile. That put him at ease. For the moment at least. The true test was coming.  He moved to the side of the cart and opened it. A semi proper vender stall, with a roll out canopy.

~

While Tincho was setting up, Flying Brick had bounded to the top of the cart, and was starting to dance, bringing applause and good will from the crowd.  It was all going to be up to the ling to make a good impression, but so far, it wasn't looking like an uphill task

~

As Tincho finished setting up his cart, he looked at the ponies around. Not high class. He disnt have to pitch his wares to them. Just let them see for themselves. As he stepped behind the stall he waited on a customer to come. In the mean time he tried to keep his nerves calm

~

The routine was short, and when Flying Brick took her bows at last, more than a few bits were thrown their way.  It was a pity that Tincho couldn't just feed on ambient crowd affection; it would have made a nice snack.

In any case, he started to have customers after that.  A few came up to browse wares, or take a closer look at the curious shop-pony.  "What's with the get-up?" One asked.

~

"Its no get up. Im a changling." He said. As calmly as he could. "Im just a traveling merchant. Selling wares and trying to make an honest living. I mean no harm to any pony." 

Hoping that was acceptable he tried to make sure there wasnt going to be a panic. "if this bothers you...i can pack up and leave..."

~

Given that this was not a town that the Hive had attacked, there were no bad memories, per se, to deal with.  Only rumors and news from else where.  That was enough to make them nervous, but not enough to run away or anything.  "Well... and her?"

~

"she is a pony. Born and raised in Stalliongrad." He leaned softly on the counter. She befriended me on the road. We hwve traveled together a couple days. And honestly..... you frighten me more than i frighten you. Im underfed and wont feed off a pony like you have heard. I doubt i have the power to take a single pony. Let alone a village... you dont hwve to be afraid of me."

~

The customer looked up, to the pony who had apparently befriended the changeling.  She waved back cheerfully.  "He is good comrade, very nice!  Good cook, and never tried to feed on me.  Do buy something!"

"Well, er, then... if she's speaking for you... I guess I'll have this, then."

~

"Two bits." He said softly. After ringing the pony up he moved to another customer. After a few more purchases he was able to get a break. Replacing sold wares he took total on his sales. twenty nine bits. He looked at his cart. He had plenty to sell. It was just a matter of getting them to come. Taking a moment he put the coins in a bag. "Hey Brick..."

~

Hm, a good day's trading.  Brick took a flying jump off the cart with a sharp impact, strutting over to the counter.  "Da, tovaritch?  Will be pulling into next set soon."

~

"Before that... please get me some food. Im getting... hungry." He said. He tried to talk quietly so no pony would hear.  "Please...." he put the bag of bits in her hoof.

~

Flying Brick was essentially a pony of impulse.  When an idea sprang into her head, she carried it out on the dot.  Such mind-to-body flow was invaluable for a dancer, but tended to lead to awkward situations sometimes in everyday life.  But it also told of much courage within the mare...

Which was why, when Tincho asked for food, she gave him a sudden kiss, right on the lips.  It was not long, but there was definite power behind it.

~

Tincho couldn't stop. Gos horn flickered and began to draw on that affection so freely offered. if he had been a lesser ling he would have fed completely. But he got his mind around it. 

Slowly, he managed to bring it under control. Allowing it feed but at a slow, gentle rate. And after a moment, it released.

~

It was hard to describe what it felt like from Flying Brick's end.  She would later describe it as getting a kiss while slugging down three vodka shots.  In any case, when Tincho finally released her, she had the sort of smile that only comes after a night well-spent on the town.  "Da, you are a real *zherebets*; let tell otherwise no pony!"

~

Tincho sighed softly. He smiled at her. "And let no one tell you.. You are not just a street performer. You are better than any mare I have ever met

~

Flashing a grin and a good-luck sign to the Changeling, Flying Brick stepped out into the square.  "Gentlecolts and the ladies! The day is now that you are seeing greatest dancer of Stalliongrad!"  

Taking a bow, she began, humming a tune as she started her movements.  It was a little difficult to start up without accompanying music, so she had to make her own as best she could...

~

Watching her move like that, he felt more at ease. She hadn't reacted violently. In fact she seemed very happy to have helped. As he relaxed more openly, he noticed more customers approaching. He was all too happy to help. As the dance carried on. He stole glanced between customers.

~

There were a few sharp eyes among the customers and audience who noticed the feeding, too.  Seeing it happen so... casually, and be taken so well by the pony... it left a distinctly different impression on their minds than the invasion had done to those in Canterlot.

In truth, Flying Brick was a natural showmare, and had known all along that the eyes of the village were on her.  Not that it made her attitude false or "stage-y," she simply played up her natural self to make it more worth watching.  The earth pony was naturally swift, dynamic, and fearless, and that came out in the leaps, bounds, and twirls with which she pulled the eyes and thrilled the hearts...

~

It wasn't long before sales were forgotten by both customer and ling. Tincho watched her happily. Smilin as he saw her dance. So energetic and carefree. 

He longed to have that. And there it was. Right before him

~

The finale of the second set was approaching, with mounting crescendo of hoof-movements and mouth-noises!  To the stomping drumbeat of applause, Flying Brick backflipped onto the canvas roof of the cart, somersaulting in the air as the covering trampolines her skyward!

Coming down, she bounced again, higher this time into a triple axel!  The third time, she bounced forward, ricocheting off the statue in the square to a stuck landing in the center, and took a bow.  The crowd went wild, offering cheers, salutations, and thrown bits.

~

As Tincho watched, he had to cheer too. Smiling as he saw how much she was adored by the crowd. As he was calming down,  he brought her some water to drink.

~

"Thank you, thank you, mwah, mwah!"  Flying Brick was revelling in the attentions, throwing kisses to all and sundry, including Tincho as he brought her water.

"You are good, ah, pit crew, they say?"

~

He smiled. Nodding to her he sat beside her. "This has been the best day so far." he was relaxed again. He leaned over and gently nudged her shoulder.

~

Flying Brick laughed, throwing a hoof around his shoulder.  "That's what likes of me for, da?  Making days better for me seeing, hahaha!"

~

He wanted to say something else. But not now. He smiled and leaned on her. "Dinner is my treat. How that?"

~

"Sound good to me, zherebets.  After you help pick the bits up, da?"  And with another laugh, she disengaged, going around the square, sweeping up the little disks of gold.

~

Rancho smiled. Using some simple magic to help pick up bits. As they gathered them up, he placed them in a bag. Once everything was gathered he sighed softl. "Would you like to take a break and count your earnings?"

~

Flying Brick nodded.  "Will appreciate if you would help, comrade.  Have never been so good at keeping numbers straight.  Not large ones.  Is why can never hold on to bits for long.  Also, are too heavy to carry on trip!  Hahaha!"

~

He nodded with a smile. Carrying the bag for her to the cart he set it down. It was shaded and cool. He started to count, dividing it into stacks. It wasn't long before he had it separated out. "130 bits."he said smiling.

~

Her eyes grew wide at the number.  130!?  That was more than she had ever had at one time.  "Wow... you must have inspired me!  Or perhaps ponies here just generous.  Or... perhaps it is small towns.  Less competition from other street performer."

~

"Maybe all three...then again I have made more in sales then long-time. My cart is almost empty.." and it was true. He was proud to have made such sales. An when everypony knew what he was.

~

"Is benefit of being open and honest.  Ponies sense anxiety; is why stage fright is so fatal.  Feedback loop leave you trembling and audience disappointed.  Not that I know from firsthand experience, of course."

A bit of an exaggeration, that, but not much.  Flying Brick was not the sort to succumb to fear easily!  "So... what you have in mind for dinner, tovaritch?"

~

He rubbed his chin. "Perhaps the local fare. It would be most appropriate given the extent of generosity we have been shown. You select the restaurant. I will cover the fee.

~

"Is good idea, I like it."  With a grin, she got to her hooves, crooking a forearm as if to offer escort.  "Shall we call this a date, then?"  She asked with a laugh.

~

He blushed visibly. But what else would one call it? He took her offered arm in his.  Staying close he walked with her.

~

Brick trotted down the street, not exactly dragging Tincho, but making him work to keep up.  Two sets of dancing and a slight feeding didn't seem to have tired her out much.  "Hm, nothing catch the eye or nose... Maybe they have dinner later here, eh?"

~

"Its possible. We can enjoy the town until then. Maybe they have a a park or a fountain to sit at." he said. He was happy around her and wanted tell her how much better his mood was now.

~

Enjoy the town... well, it was only fair, given how much the town had enjoyed them!  It wasn't a particularly large place; only about enough shops to take care of local needs, with a few local treats.  That was probably why Tincho's shop had been so popular.

Still, it was a... picturesque sort of place.  Stone streets, stone houses.  "Like to feel cobbles on hooves."  Flying Brick remarked.  "Not comfortable with dirt or grass.  City for me!   Though town like this not so bad either.  Could visit more like, eh?"

~

He nodded. "I prefer paved roads myself. They mean ponies and ponies mean I stay in business." He nodded again as they came to a small field. "Look. So many wildflowers." he smiled softly. "A far cry from my birth place."

~

It had to be said that Brick wasn't much of a mare for flowers, but they were undeniably pretty.  "Heh, weren't much on my birth street either, tovaritch.  Too much coal smoke.  Don't care what doctor say, is good for lungs!  Makes them strong!"

~

"That explains why no changing ever go to Stalliongrad for long. Coal smoke has something in it that is poisonous to us. We can't breathe it for long." he paused to look to her. His soft ling eyes gazing into hers. "Thank you... For helping me."

~

If Flying Brick had been a little more insensitive than she was, she would have made some remark about the "weak little bug lungs" being the reason why they had never conquered Equestria.  But right now was the exact wrong time for that sort of joke.

Instead, she had paused, looking back into Tincho's compound eyes.  "Eh, it was... just what a pony does for one, da?  Is how you make a city like Stalliongrad, or town like this, or Equestria.  Got to be willing to put self out for other."

~

Tincho kissed her cheek gently. "Thank you." he whispered. Sitting beside her he listened to the sounds of the world. It was beautiful.

~

Unusually for the mare, she actually was sitting still, and not feeling restless.  Calming influence, or passive love drain, she didn't care.  It was just nice being with Tincho.  "Heh, is nice to be here.  Have never had so calm a date before."

~

"I've never had a date before." he leaned closer and smiled as he rested his head in her shoulder. He could take any form he pleased but this form felt best now. Hi mimercy was still good as he adopted her accent "is good to with like ponies da?"

~

"So... would make me your first, tovaritch?"  Flying Brick was not so naive to suppose that Tincho had never tried to court a mare's affections... but probably not as his actual self before.

~

"Yes. You are the first mare...the first anyone I have ever dated. A few attempts I made in the hive proved... A waste of time. And  here yea... I was never exactly high on the list of possibilities

~

He looked to her and smiled a bit brighter. "I used to think I was alone. That no pony would care enough. But it seems that I was wrong."

~

"I find is always best to bet on positive side of life.  Is good, even when not seem so."  Brick's was a very Equestrian point of view; a country founded on principles of Friendship and harmony tended to produce its own style of life, one quite attractive to outsiders.

Speaking of attractiveness... The mare sniffed the air.  "Hmm... I smell something cooking in red wine.  Time for us to go and get some of it!"

~

Smiling he nodded. "Indeed. I would like to have something to eat." walking with her and letting her lead he smiled to himself. This was better than being alone

~

The trail of scent led to a stone-walled little cafe.  It looked quaint and eccentric, with lemon-yellow striped shades over the glass-front windows.  Perhaps a pony had settled here from the big city?  

The mare spent little time in curious speculations, instead simply barging in the door.  "Zdradvyeustye!  Where is the deliciousness?"

~

"I suspect we can find the answer if we speak to the hostess just inside. Come." he led her in and to the podium. Taken to a seat he held her chair for her. "Ladies first."

~

Given that all the eyes in the building were on the pair, this was not exactly going to be a "private" date.  Flying Brick was perfectly fine with that, though.  "Eh, right.  Never hurt to ask direct, eh?"  Flashing him a grin, she took a seat.  "Quite gentle colt, you are."

~

"This is a fact I strive to prove everyday." hems filed back. Once they were Sat he glanced over the menu. A nice salad with a side of toast and some wine might be a good meal. He glanced at her to see if she had figured out what she wanted as well.

~

"I will have what ever I smelled cooking, and a glass of what it cooked in."  She declared, without even looking at the menu.  It would have been a tough read for her, in any case, but she seemed to have adapted well to less-than-stellar literacy.

~

Tincho smiled an spoke. "And I shall have the chef salad. A double side of toast. And a bottle of what she requested to share. I assume it will be the daily special listed on the board." The waitress smiled and jotted it all down. Once she went to retrieve the drinks and toast Tincho spoke. "Would you... Care to join me fr a while? I was planning to head toward Manehattan  and Fillydalephia soon. Lots of good spots for a street performer and several vender stalls are available..."

~

That was an offer worth considering, certainly.  Flying Brick tilted her head as she considered the pitch.  But really... why not?  She enjoyed Tincho's company, and those cities were full of generous ponies and good venues.  She smiled back at the 'ling.  "It sounds like plan of goodness!  You may count me as part."

~

He nodded happily. He couldn't hide the smile. It wasn't long before the drink and toast arrived. Taking his glass he tilted it toward her softly. "Here is too a bright tomorrow."

~

Eschewing a gentle tilt, Flying Brick made the glasses ring with her toast.  A little more force would have shattered them, but the mare was surprisingly deft with her movements.  Or, rather, it would have been surprising had Tincho not seen her dance.

"And many days after!"  She returned, taking a healthy during from her glass.  "Am looking forward to not traveling alone.  Never thought how hard it was until not having to do it."

~

Tincho smiled as he sipped his glass. It wasn't long before their food arrived.  Tucking in, he enjoyed it. This was a rare treat.

~

It was a rare treat for Flying Brick too.  The mare was perennially bitless, insofar as she never saved for a rainy day, spending all income as she came by it.  Which was understandable enough; gold was a heavy burden for a mare traveling from city to city on hoof!

Now that she had a traveling partner, her mind was going over plans.  Things she'd wanted to do, that she could not afford to do so, whether by sparing time or bits.  Even a certain degree of investment in her future... "Tovaritch, what are you thinking about making a kind of traveling troupe?  Is long tradition of wagoners to travel in packs, when bring goods and entertainment."

~

Hmm that was a proposition. The ling didn't know many other travelers. But it would provide a greater safety. An more variety. The act and sale would become stagnant after time. But a troupe... Tht was an altogether different beast. And Tincho could easily see adding to the group. "I think it sounds wonderful. We would have many friends to share our travels with. And of course more friends is always a good thing."

~

"Right you are!"  She raised her glass in another toast, draining it.  "Of course, is issue with finding others, but may pick them up on way, like you do with me, da?"

~

He nodded "Indeed. Wewil l need to acquire a new Cart. Need to make sure we have room for everyone." the ling smiled as he ate slowly. "Also in large cities, I have met ponies that want to travel. But are frightened to go alone. We could offer thema means of travel."

~

"May need more than one cart.  Not sure how many yours will hold supply for.  Possibly more if they walk, though!"  She laughed, attacking her food at a much faster rate.  "A full circus caravan, maybe.  Imagine that, eh?  We get a few jugglers, maybe a small menagerie.  No clowns, though.  They are one of few things that frighten me."

~

He nodded. "Many find clouds unsettling. Though a full caravan?  My that's a large number. I don't know how we could organize such a thing." he paused from his meal to speak. "Though. I do know of a pair of ponies that play music as they travel. Perhaps we could ask their advice. I saw one of their performances in Fillydalephia. They are talented. They must have some tricks they are willing to share."

~

"Music!  Da, how could forget?"  Flying Brick smacked her forehead with a noticeable 'clonk' noise.  "We must have music, whatever else.  Can always find street musician, though.  Should pick one or two up in Manhattan next stop, then see where go from there, eh?"

~

He nodded "yes. Manehattan." he ate and chewed thoughtfully. But not about the prospect of a troupe.... But about his friend here. Knowing what he was... And she still stayed by him. Maybe there was a chance for ling and pony to be friends as a species after all.

~

Having just finished her dinner, Brick sat back with a satisfied sigh... and a belch.  "Buraaap!"  Whoo, pardon begged, tovaritch.  Still, is good complement to chef!"  

She, too, was thinking.  Mostly about the troupe, but also wondering how permanent this arrangement was going to be.  She and Tincho got along well enough, and they made for good business partners.  But what were his long term plans?  Was he just an indefinite rover, like her?  Did she want to be an indefinite rover, or find some city's stones to plant her hooves on for good?

~

He almost forgot his  food when he felt the need to drink. As he went for his drink he noticed her plate was empty. He quietly smiled. Taking a drink he felt a little light headed. For all the time he spent around wealth. He never drank. And the wine was making him lightly warm and giggly. Finishing his meal he brought out his bag and left the its plus a generous tip. As he stood his wings buzzed a bit. "Shall we take a break now?"

~

"Hm, eh?"  The mare came slowly out of her reverie, good food and wine having slowed the dancer's reactions.  "Da, sound good... where to?"

~

"How about a shady tree? We can relax and listen to the birds sing." he said as he took her leg in his gently. He had a smile. Soft and kind.

~

She nodded and smiled back, trying not to lean too far into him.  She may be light on her hooves, but she'd be heavy on anyone else's!  "Sound good... in both ways!"  Brick giggled at the obvious pun... which was new.  She usually had a much more forceful, even masculine, laugh.

~

As he walked with her, his wings would twitch happily. As they came to a shady tree he found a lush patch of grass. The warm Sun and cool shade made it lovely. Letting her pick her spot first he sat beside her. Not bad for a first date. And he began to hope there would be more like it in the future. He wasn't taken with wanderlust for the same reason as her. Mostly it was to protect himself from a possible threat.

~

Sitting down, watching the setting sun... how often had Flying Brick done so?  So often she had danced until the daylight evaporated, resting a little between the day and night crowds.  She would often get better rest on the road than on stops.  To have so relaxing a stay was... novel, to say the least.

"Hm... has been good evening."  She murmured, reaching over to nuzzle Tincho.

~

Tincho smiled and leaned into the muzzle appreciatively. "Indeed it has." and with a gentle sigh he leaned closer. Hugging her softly. It may not last. But he appreciated her. As a friend, a traveling partner, and something he couldn't quite put into words. 

As the Sun lowered down finally he watched the moon begin to rise. "The night looks to be beautiful and clear. Should I leave the Windows of the cart open for fresh air?"

~

Brick was generous with her affections, though to date little had come out of it.  A few good nights spent dancing with handsome ponies and griffons, when she was flush enough with bits for a club entrance fee, but nothing more.  This... was something different altogether, she mused, returning the changelings hug.

"Ah, yes.  Good night air!  Good for lungs."

~

He smiled as she hugged back. As he enjoyed the warm embrace he let his min roll over the thoughts of a chance to start over. And here it was. After a moment more he led her back to the cart. Closing up th stall he left the slats open for air. As he began to lay out th bed rolls a thought came to him. He hadn't finished th story from before

~

Flying Brick followed him up on the cart, stretching out as she arrived.  "Mm... was a good day, da.  Will be good night too, tovaritch."

~

He nodded softly. Lighting a candle he fetched th book. "Indeed. An to top it off we can finish our story."

~

"Oh?"  Flying Brick sat up, pleasantly surprised.  "You will read it?  Good, good, had been sad at missing it..."

~

As Tincho settled down, he pat the spot beside him. Having laid their bed rolls beside each other. "Yes. I promised you a story. And so I shall."

~

Flying Brick snuggled against Tincho as she lay where he had tapped.  In a few moments, she was engrossed in the story again, barely yawning or blinking until they all lived happily ever after...

Archived