Nintendo software only.

VGAddict

Well... let's look at the huge long history of Nintendo releasing innovative consoles, designs and hardware...

I don't see them going software only, heh. No way. Nintendo have always been a big first party developer with leading innovations in tech.

It's not so much a matter of if it fails, but a matter of how much it fails.

The Wii U had underwhelming sales. It's known that Nintendo has been losing money, or at least definitely lost money between 2012-2014.

But Nintendo has so much money that they could have kept losing that same amount of money, not make any profits, and still have enough money in the bank to last a decade.

A company like Sega sold consoles that failed, but failed hard. We're talking Virtual Boy after Virtual Boy.

Sega 32x, Sega CD, Sega Saturn. Nintendo had a tight grip on the handheld market and Sega's Game Gear had the scraps.

Sega didn't have the amount of money or success that Nintendo did, therefore, despite releasing a well received console like the Dreamcast, it wasn't successful enough to make staying in the console industry a worthwhile gamble.

If the NX was a hardcore bomb, Nintendo would probably keep making consoles because they have the resources to make mistakes.

If the NX was simply underwhelming in sales like the Wii U, they would probably keep operating just the same.

So to answer your question, it's not possible to say.

There is no black and white when it comes to company failures.

Sometimes a failure can be a hiccup in the grand scheme and sometimes a failure can be so big that it literally sinks a company.

But keep in mind, Nintendo is a big company.

The Playstation 5 could be an absolute bomb and Sony, being a media conglomerate, could still keep making consoles.

So if I had to bet, I would say, yes, Nintendo will keep making consoles if the NX fails, and if it fails hard.

Archived