Feathers and Tethers (Pm for Details/ Attn. Phoenixheart)

Lyipheoryia

Starry Requiem

Starry Requiem gave a grimace as the searing heat dripped down her face.  The train station at Canterlot was filled with strangers, and she could barely distinguish the nearest noise from the next.  She was a patient mare, but not really.  She was waiting for a correspondence she had only met by mail: Azure Feather.  A magic teacher and mare of good grammar, she saw petty distaste in the heat she was making Starry wait in.  She stood, in her typical fashion-with much eccentric appearances and little heart to her action-waiting...every so patiently in this burning day.

---

The subject of how they had met was an interesting tale indeed...one she couldn't exactly...remember.  It was one of her childhood days, when having a quillfriend sounded like the most intriguing of ideas.  So her mother had set her up with Azure, and they had maintained close contact since.  Sounds cheezy?  It was... but it was also nice to keep a friend throughout the ages.

---

She waited excitedly to meet this "mystery mare" for the first time face-to-face, and gave the merest flicker of a smile from her usual smirk in the day's sun.

The train ride from Ponyville to Canterlot was a typical one for Azure Feather. Was it the quiet, pleasant, even scenic route that seemed to grace ponies at every trip from the "quiet" town of Ponyville to Canterlot, one of the highest-class cities of Equestria, not to mention the site of Canterlot Castle, residence of the two Princesses?

Hardly. In fact, this was all too common for her. With her Skyborn spell active, her own prized creation, the spell that gave her form Pegasus wings for a day, the Unicorn heard the words "Alicorn", "Princess", and even "Twilight" muttered around her so many times - she couldn't help but lay as low as she could. Bloody hell, if it were up to her - if she could tattoo her Cutie Mark to her face, just to prove that she wasn't Princess Twilight Sparkle, she would do it in a heartbeat!

Now if it were about the confusion about being an Alicorn, her wings. Oh. Those. No, she wouldn't give those up for the world. She loved flight way too much. She wasn't an Alicorn, merely a Unicorn with a love of flight maybe too deep for her own good.

But as the train began to slow down, Azure raised her head, as she turned her attention to the order of the day. Starry Requiem - her quillfriend from her childhood, was in Canterlot, and they were scheduled to meet face to face for the first time. It felt like she was one of the rare ones that knew most of what had happened through her days, and outside of the family? She knew Starry was one of the only ones to know the whole story of how she got her Cutie Mark, and the ensuing battle to be able to follow her dreams.

But that was past now. The train had soon stopped, and ponies were starting to make their way out into the city. However, as the doors opened, another fact reached Azure's mind as she winced. This day was a hot one. For Celestia's sake, the Sun Princess' star was shining as bright as ever today, and... ugh. Starry was supposed to be waiting for her in this weather? Couldn't she have just told her "Wait for me in the Sunray Cafe, I'll catch up to you"? No, it had to be right from the train station.

However, as she continued to monologue with herself, the train car emptied out, and soon enough, she was alone in the car - something that finally gave her the peace and quiet that she had wanted all day. As she got up and stretched her wings, however, she made her way out into the city, and well, so much for having a moment or two of silence around her! One surprised gasp, a mention of the word "Princess"... and she could only grunt in exasperation. Folding her wings tightly against herself, she could only wish she was carrying a sign with her, one that read "Not an Alicorn!"

But then... the jackpot. The dark blue Unicorn that she was looking for was right there... and with today's heat - Azure could only hope she wasn't waiting too long, because this temperature was bordering on oppressive. But sure enough, she would soon approach her old friend, before bowing her head softly and speaking.

"Starry Requiem?" she started, smiling softly. "It's me, um... Azure Feather? I had told you to meet me here, but really... if I knew it was going to be this warm, I'd have told you to wait for me elsewhere! How about we go to the Sunray Cafe, maybe we can get out of this heat!"

She had gambled a bit - what if this Unicorn wasn't Starry Requiem? Her mind raced for a few moments as she hoped she was right.

• 4 weeks later...

She gave a smile as she heard her voice, "Hi!  Azure Feather...it's been so long since we've spoken and I've heard your voice!  But I'd recognize it anywhere...," 

She gave a smile towards her, and reached over to shake the hoof of her old friend.  She wasn't quite sure what to say, really.  It had really been a long time since they had met face to face, and she couldn't make anything out of the few words the mare had said.

"Well...I was hoping to take you to one of my favorite places for drinks, but it's up to you, really,"  Actually, it's not.  When it comes to decisions, one must always give way to the thoughts of the one in the higher social class.  And I'm sure I have the higher social class of the both of us.  It was a bit of a test, to see how much she had changed.  Was she still that sweet young filly?  That nice mare with a simple social standing but a lot of friends?  Or had she leveled up in society as well?

That smile was just what Azure needed to see. It really couldn't have been much worse if she had indeed mistaken another pony for her friend, but that Unicorn was indeed Starry Requiem. Good. That was a good first step.

Calming down slightly, she would respond in kind to the hoof-shake, shaking Starry's hoof with her own right front hoof moments later, before speaking up. "It's been a long time, you got that right. I'm glad to see you, though. Always a good thing to meet friends... particularly those that go way back." Once again, Azure couldn't help herself - her mind quickly went back into nostalgia mode - all those times where she would get a letter from her friend - she was basically jumping up and down all day...

However, that ended just as quickly, as a few ponies soon caught up to Azure, and all it took was one cry of "Princess!" to have Azure turn towards the speaker, and grunt. She gave one look to her Cutie Mark, then looked to the speaker again. Goodness, this was one of those times where she hoped she could also have her Cutie Mark tattooed to her forehead. Just to give ponies like these a better idea that she wasn't Princess Twilight Sparkle! By Celestia...

Then came Starry's suggestion to go to one of her favorite places for drinks. It didn't take long for the winged unicorn to decide, either. Canterlot was where Starry lived. She knew just as much about Canterlot than Azure knew about Ponyville. Of course Starry would know about better places than the Sunray Café, she was certain of it! Azure's reply came immediately afterwards.

"You have a favorite place for that? That sounds great! Let's go there, you know this place way better than me!"

Azure was a simple pony. She was nothing really special, she thought, not like Applejack, or Rainbow Dash, or Princess Twilight Sparkle herself. No... she was just Azure Feather. A magic teacher with a love for flight, one she couldn't go without. She really had no idea about the test her friend was about to put her through - to her, this was just a meeting with an old friend. Yet, she still had that smile on her face.

She grinned at the mare's reply, Just like what I expected.  She really is a good friend indeed.  

It was nice to have someone she could call friend, somepony to support her other than socially with little bits of wealth or a few words of social esteem.  It was nice to have somepony actually care about her.  

"How are you finding Canterlot so far?  I know you don't usually come here too much...especially with your,"  she paused, "resemblance to Princess Twilight,"

Her friend was an interesting pony indeed~  Pegasus or Unicorn?  Most just thought her as an alicorn.  But she wasn't, and she worked as hard as she could to discern those rumors.  Unfortunately, news traveled fast here in downtown Canterlot-and it was already known that there was a new alicorn in town.  

"Was there a lot of...trouble on your ride here?"  she inquired

"By that, I mean-trouble with your...Princess Twilight-ness,"

Starry's grin further removed a weight on Azure's shoulders. as she remained fairly calm, despite the crowd behind her still just as loud about seeing their "Princess" suddenly. The winged unicorn kept her wings tightly folded against her form. After all, she couldn't give this bunch of ponies any more fuel for this particular fire.

The question of how she found Canterlot got her to look around a little. The city, even from here, seemed like a different world from the "quiet" town of Ponyville. Short of the Carousel Boutique, Ponyville didn't have much giving it any resemblance to Canterlot, but to actually be in the city where the Sisters' castle stood gave her a better idea of the differences between the two cities. Every building, every house she saw from this distance seemed to have some touch of elegance to it, the high-class look that dominated the city. Though she shook her head clear suddenly before replying. "So far, I'm liking what I see, even though I can't see all that much. I'm looking forward to seeing a little more while I'm here, though!" She said, smiling to her friend as she gave a fairly flustered look to a section of the crowd that had gotten even louder.

Azure continued to look, but part of her just wished that she could get away from these crowds. She hadn't gotten out of Ponyville much since moving away from Manehattan, but it was moments like these that made her not want to get out of Ponyville in the first place! The inhabitants there had just started to get used to seeing another "alicorn" amongst them, but this place was another animal entirely. She barely heard the ensuing question from Starry as she tried to reply.

"Oh, no more trouble than the usual, really. Ponies can't seem to make the difference, they just assume I'm Princess Twilight, and..." Azure put emphasis on that word there, as she rolled her eyes. She trailed off for a moment to grunt in exasperation at the crowds. "This happens. At least Ponyville is quieter about my... appearance. Then again, winged unicorns aren't... usually a thing now, are they." She concluded, as she suddenly had a troubled look on her face. She had heard one pony utter something about an upcoming speech from the arriving Princess, and she could only shake her head as she looked back to her friend.

"Think we should be headed out of this place soon? They're getting pretty crazy ideas back there!"

Archived