Time

Lyipheoryia

Do you think they use minutes and seconds like us?  Or do they use a sundial?  We've seen clocks similar to ours in the show, but what about Medieval Equestria?  I was editing my fic a little while back, and my editor noted that the way time worked or how they measured it might have been different than how we measure it~  Any ideas?

It's hard to imagine how time was measured in ancient Equestria when all the constants that we have in the real world could be changed in their world by a being such as Discord. I'd imagine there was a long enough period of consistent time where ponies could observe the stars and stuff and put together the very first clock in which all time would be based around from then on. I also like to imagine that batponies invented the clock, as they were likely the most familiar with the stars and how the cosmos worked.

Come up with a headcannon and stick with it. That's my advice.

( Huh. While writing this post, I was pondering all that I knew about time, and it dawned upon me that 'time' might not even exist. Looks like I'm gonna spend the next hour googling this stuff. )

I thought this might help: Telling Time in the Middle Ages
The take away is that if you want to be using specifics like minutes or seconds in a medieval settings it's probably best if the characters using those specifics have a good reason to do so, such as being scholars or well off monetarily.  

Regardless, any civilization is going to have devised some way to measure time in spite of how advanced they are. (Sundials, water clocks, and hourglasses date way back to ancient times for us humans.) As long as the system is obvious, like saying "the bell rings six times throughout the day, it's so far rung three times" then a reader can figure out that the day is half way over and you're golden. 

Archived