A "New" World

Thorenthal

The train makes its slowing approach to the town's station just as the evening begins to settle in. The position of the sun allowing for its more orange colors as it slowly makes its way to sink into the horizon. That is, until a blot of black races up and away from the rear car silently slices its way through the sky. At least it would appear to be that way to anyone who happened to be looking skyward; a possibility that the flying figure is mostly hoping to be false. In the meantime, it finds necessity in a small bit of reconnaissance to survey the area; and it hardly takes long to find a decent vantage point.

The figure squats to appear as merely a blob of black as his blue eyes scan over the rural town from what he gathers to be the town hall. He perches himself atop the tall structure as he observes the citizens below while trying to be the least conspicuous as possible. In doing so, he is quick to sink into feelings of uncertainty. In what appears to be the town center, all he could make out were the all too familiar equine figures that trot their way along the ground. Granted, the evening hours make for a less densely packed area, but never before has he felt like such a minority; perhaps the only of his kind... He sighs. After doing so, he does his best in mentally preparing for the many challenges he'll inevitably face as a newcomer to this realm.

"Alright.. here we go," the dark figure utters to himself as he prepares for his descent. Though he decides that landing behind the town hall could be his best bet for avoiding too much attention. Without even thinking twice, the bipedal would lean backwards and let gravity do the work. An instant later, and he dives headfirst into the ground; then reaching the halfway point between the peak of the building and the ground. He reorients his body in the style of a backflip to allow his feet to point down. Finally, he would allow his aura to manifest and enable him to slow his fall so that his feet gently touchdown with little to no effort. He lets out one last breath before turning around...

Elusive was flying through the air if the town. The Batpony having just woken up to start the day in full as the sun settled and the night emerging from the day. It was her usual task to head to town and obtain papers from the town hall for the royal records and it wasn't that menial of a task for her to take on. 

She landed and peered around. Not noticing the figure at first but noticing the shadow that splayed on the ground beneath her as it struck across to the town hall. Looking up she saw something for only a brief moment before peering around. "What was that?" She said to herself as she looked for a bird or something that could have left such a shadow. 

((Sorry for taking so long. Just wanted to give a bit of a window in case anyone else wanted to jump in. ^^"))

For a moment, he stood with a most ponderous stare as he casually peers around the corner of the large building and into the very loosely packed crowd--if one could call it that. Even though for a split moment he was so prepared to reveal himself, another wash of uncertainty stops him in his tracks. Should he turn back now? Is it the right time to come out in the open? He wonders, until his gaze settles upon one pony in particular: one whose disposition stands out from the rest.

She looks spooked, if not slightly--at least, he could only guess. If it were not the case, then why would her eyes be so intent on her surroundings and, more importantly, the sky? As far as he's aware, he was the only one in the sky for a brief moment. That could mean only one thing: she saw him.

After making that deduction, he lets out a breath... It looks like the jig was up before it could even begin. Then again, he knew from the very start that he would be discovered even if he tried to keep hiding. Ultimately, it works out as a rather foolish notion, and he knows it, and with that, he makes his decision. The ponies could stare all they like; he figures as he finally unveils himself from the corner, straight towards the now grounded pony.

"Something the matter?" a low, but youthful masculine voice rings out to try and get the flyer's attention. The source would be none other than the bipedal creature standing at almost six feet in height. Not a strand of hair can be seen anywhere except the full head of black on his head, with his signature "X" bangs crossing the bridge of his nose. His skin nearly pale as it's revealed only by his hands, face and neck. A set of blue eyes complements his overall black and white color scheme, with black being the major. He appears to be one of very few in this entire town that completely garbs himself in clothing, complete with his long black coat that covers the majority of his body. It's open down the middle to reveal a white shirt under the coat. The rest of him is pure black from his waist down, from his pants to shoes. Last but not least is the protruding black hilt of his katana that is semi-concealed in the left side of his coat, in a sheath that's strapped to his belt. The creature regards the flyer neutrally as he stands to face them.

((No problem)

elusive saw nothing at first. She guessed she was just seeing things.... Perhaps it was a Pegasus or another creature with wings. Her catlike eyes lowered and she glanced around. That's when she saw it. 

A creature.... A thing. Something walking on two legs and as black as night walked out to greet her! At first glance she was afraid!! Very afraid!!! What was that!? It was like nothing she ever saw!!! Giving a gasp and backing up in terror. 

"Wh~ what are you!? Please don't hurt me!" She begged as she activated her gem ear ring and her hooves bursted into blue flame! She could use fire magic and she didn't know what was going to happen. Perhaps she was just panicking. Which she was. 

The other ponies around were fearful as well. Whimpering and talking to one another as Elusive was left one on one with the thing. 

He expected a drastic reaction, naturally... but not quite on this extreme. Upon instinct, he studies his potential opponent. Regrettably, he hasn't quite come up with a way to create a heat-shield out of his aura. If any violence were to occur, he hopes the standard solid shield will do; but that will come later--maybe. Though, such a train of thought barely even lasts a second, and is immediately replaced by one that is fueled by less surprise, and more irritation. Such that would cause a sigh to escape him. For now he decides to ignore her question in favor of her plea.

"'Don't hurt me'," the stranger utters in nearly a mocking tone. "You say as you bust out the fire magic.

"I know you saw me.. and I know that eventually everyone else will, too. So there's no point in hiding anymore. And if you don't like me, then.. fine. Whatever. I won't force you..

"But if you so much as fling a single ember at me..." his tone gradually changes from neutral to deep-felt emotion and determination. Before he could finish his small speech, he bends at the knees as he orients his body mostly sideways, with his left foot taking the lead. His arms raised and his fists clench firmly as he assumes his fighting stance. "...I will defend myself. So.. what will it be?" his resolve flows through his question and beams from his blue eyes as he looks directly into those of the equine pyro-kinetic.

Elusive winced as he spoke. He was assuming a fighting stance but in defense. She felt bad now but she was reasonably afraid, as was a lot of the ponies around her. She swallowed and exhaled before holding up her front hooves with her bat wings beating to keep her front half up. 

"I will not hurt you..... Lower our defenses on three okay?" She squeaked. 

His gaze holds solid. In doing so, his constant observation leads to the simple reading of her facial cues. Despite they being members of different species, he notices the striking similarities between pony and human expression. Perhaps on the more psychological and emotional levels, there really is no difference between man or pony.

"Believe me," his gaze softens, but only slightly, "I don't want this anymore than you do. It doesn't have to end like this..." He sighs.. then immediately afterwards, expresses his agreement with his sudden counting.

"One...

Two..."

Slowly but surely, the creature's own stance would fade back to its default, neutral state. Once again he finds himself standing tall, but unfortunately a portion of his guard remains, but very subtly. In the back of his mind he is prepared to respond to any potentially threatening stimuli, which he actually finds more in the crowd surrounding them than the winged pony herself. He gives his surroundings a subtle scanning glance before settling on her again.

"Sorry for the trouble," he breathes, then considers simply walking away from all the commotion.. if such a thing were possible at the moment. For now, he continues to address the bat-winged one. "I guess I should've seen this coming. Anyway, I'd rather put it behind me, if you don't mind." He locks his hands behind his back.

"My name's Thoren. And, believe it or not, I at least intended to come in peace.."

Elusive listened to him and awaited till he was done. He seemed nice enough even though he always seemed on guard.... perhaps it was all the ponies? Nonetheless she tried to seem more friendly to the poor creature. She trotted forward as the other ponies whispered a bit and watched him like a display in a museum.

"What are you Thoren?" She asked as she sniffed at him a small bit and tilted her head gently.

Though it may be quite difficult to read him, there's no properly describing the relief that he feels that this time, a fight was actually prevented rather than being an inevitability; though he wonders how long he can manage to keep it that way. In his effort to do so, he refrains from any sudden movements as she trots closer to him. While backing away is an option, he chooses instead to hold his ground, so to speak. His expression lacks in hostility, but he's no closer to cracking a smile, either. Still, he finds no issue with finally answering her.

"I'm guessing none of you have ever seen a human before... You know, biped instead of quadruped, wearing clothes for lack of a fur coat and--er--other reasons, reasonably intelligent, and.." he blinks as he notices her sniffing at him, "..Hopefully not smelling too funny."

"It's quite strange though, you and the rest having never seen my kind before.. especially when I know exactly what all of you are. Too small for horses, so... ponies, I'm pretty sure; and at times, the occasional winged pegasus or horned unicorn, and on even rarer occasions, both winged and horned ponies--I've only seen one of those so far. And now, before me is the first pegasus of your type that I've ever seen. Pardon my calling you on it, but what exactly are you? If I didn't know better, those look more like the wings of a bat than a bird..."

A human. In equestria. That is what Lyra was so giddy about all the time. Elusive examined him as he spoke, his coat wasn't actually part of him. Clothes for a better term seemed to be the only way for him to keep any sort of warmpth. The very thought of a naked human made her blush and shake her head, a very silly thought indeed. 

When the question came around to her about her particular species she gave a small chirp. Much like an actual bat would. "My species is derived from the night side..... Yes we have traits of bats... My species is called a thestral, or if you prefer areon that's okay too. We are much better hunters in the dark." She said as she extended her wings so he could get a better look at her silver and blue undertones. 

Her blue eyes blinked. "However in my race most have yellow or orange eyes. I have blue.... The only one of my kind that does at the moment." She said. 

"Where do you come from?" A ransom Pegasus stallion asked from his spot in the crowd. 

"I noticed that... at least eye color is one thing we have in common," Thoren shrugs. Then continues to study the bat-winged pony just as she does with him. And of course, he gives the occasional glance at those who surround the two. This time it occurs to him that he might have attracted every pony and their mother to this one spot. Maybe it's the sudden increase in density. Even so, he keeps the flow of conversation as best as possible. "Of course, I'd much rather refer to you by name.. but I guess it's okay if you're not ready to say it yet. In the meantime..." Thoren slowly lowers himself to sitting in a cross-legged position as he prepares for another monologue. "...I guess I can tell you guys a little story." He pauses for a moment, as he finds difficulty in fully answering the question as to where he came from... to explain such a thing would be to tackle concepts that are probably too far out, even by the supposed standards of this world--how he sometimes wishes that such a thing were a joke. It even gives him a headache to think about from time to time... Still, in the very least, he can offer the snippet regarding how he got here. He crosses his arms, and closes his eyes for a brief moment as he takes care in finding his words.

Last I could recall, I was standing in a schoolyard that, since its inception, has made a guest of a singular mirror that had been rumored with very strange and mystical properties. Of course, to me, there was no doubt about it. Each and every time I would find myself walking near this mirror, I could feel a strange energy emanating from it, despite it being in a state of rest most of the time. One night, after a whole day's worth of thought, I made a point to finally see what this mirror was all about, and.. I guess I picked a lucky night to take a closer look at it. Mere moments after I'd set foot before it, I first felt a spike in energy, and before I knew it, the mirror would reveal to me what I am now convinced is nothing short of a portal; a deliberate rift between two places, in this case, two different realms entirely. Given my circumstances, I had nothing to lose by stepping through the portal... so I did.

Then, in doing so, I felt this strange imposition from all sides, and for a moment, it felt as if some unknown force was trying to completely transform my anatomy and physiology. I felt my body changing... but as you see me now, I obviously managed to successfully resist whatever the gateway was trying to do to me, but in the end, it took its toll on not only my body, but my soul as well. Even so, I knew I had to press on, since I figured there was no turning back at that point.

A moment later, and I find myself stumbling out of the other side of the rift... into one of the most incredible rooms I'd ever seen. As if the very structure of the entire castle-like room was composed of a single enormous pure crystal. Needless to say, it managed to steal even my breath for but a split moment, as my marveling mood was instantly cut off after being spotted by a few guard ponies. My first instinct was to defend myself.. then I figured that these guards were just here doing their job. I mean, what were they supposed to think of me, you know? So in their case.. I decided to keep my hands to myself... and make a run for it. I managed to leap over and run through the many halls. Cutting corners and the like to put as much distance between myself and my pursuers as possible. This was around the time I first saw a pony with both wings and a horn. She was very... pink. At least, that's the best I could recall. Anyway, I didn't really have much time to address her, or anyone for that matter. All that mattered was getting out of that castle... and doing so was rather costly.

At the end of one of the halls, I saw my window of opportunity--literally. And so, I dove for it; straight through the stained glass... and as expected, there was quite a fall waiting for me on the other side. But for that moment, all that went through my mind was more marveling of the several crystal structures that made up the majority of that place. It was only for a split second, however, and all my amazement was replaced with self-preservation. And so, with no other choice, I induced my aura, and thus.. took flight. I couldn't stay airborne for long, though... with every passing second that I'd stay in the air, my soul grew weaker and weaker. That was when fortune decided to smile on me, I suppose. Next I knew, I saw the train that would be my one-way ticket out of here. As discreetly as possible, I placed myself at the caboose, and since then, I stayed on that train for a long while... It gave me plenty of time to rest and rejuvinate.

"...And that train is what led me to where I am now, sitting before you and telling you all this. Frightening as this truth may be: for all we know, there's a chance that I'm still a wanted man--that is, a male human. If I start seeing posters and royal guardsmen patrolling around, then it'll turn out that I'm probably right. Still, if it's any comfort, at least I'm not exactly an escaped prisoner or the like.. just a guy who.. got caught up in the wrong place."

Elusisve and the rest of town ponies listened to him. The Batpony particularly feeling bad for not giving a name for him to use at the moment. She was about to tell him when he sat down for a story. She gave a small smile and sat before him as did several of the others. 

He spoke of a mirror in his world. One of magical properties that could teleport him here. She had heard that the royal storage having such items of power but hadn't ever gotten the ability to see such relics. His story progresses as did her interest. It was a tale of him running from the Royal guard, speaking of the vast city that was canterlot and the beauty of its walls. Running through the halls he must have seen either cadence or celestia though celestia was more white than pink. Elusive couldn't help but wince as he said he smashed through some stained glass, she knew how much work went into every piece but that didn't matter now. Thorenthal seemed to be a magic versatile human as he was able to do all the things he said he could do, even the mirror trying to possably change him to a pony didn't work. This sent a shiver up her spine, he could be more powerful than the princesses. 

When he was done she gave a comforting look. "Well I'm sorry you had to go through all that Sir thorenthal. You don't seem like a criminal to me." She said. 

She blinked softly. "Welcome to equestria. That is the name of the place you now reside. My name personally is Elusive. I am a royal record keeper for the castle you just escaped from." She said gently. 

((Sorry if it wasn't so clear at first, but in roleplay, it's just Thoren. Thorenthal is more my general community name, but Thoren is my actual OC. All is forgiven, I just wanted to clear that up. ^^"))

It amazes him how the townsfolk go through such a dramatic change in tone as the event progresses. In just a short time, the initial fear-ridden ponies that surrounded them are now filled with curiosity and wonder. It shows in most of the faces, especially Elusive's. In a way, he feels like a prime means to orchestrate the various reactions, the widening of eyes and the cringing of cores. That and it is surprisingly liberating to be able to share this story with everyone whom had cared to listen. The more he would reveal of his story, the more pressure is lifted from his shoulders, and the more at ease he would feel. By the end of his story, he's considerably more relaxed than he was before he started.. to where a very slight warmth begins to emanate from his expression. 

"Sorry, I'm not too fond of being given titles... just Thoren will do. Other than that, I wouldn't worry so much about it. If I'm totally honest, this whole evening could've turned out much, much worse. It really could have. I really was expecting this whole dilemma to end in a big conflict... but it didn't. I can't tell you how much of a relief that is.. let alone how thankful I am that you actually decided on the more peaceful route.

"Anyway.. thanks a ton for the welcome, and I must say that it still is nice to have met you.. even if you wind up having to report me," he shrugs dismissively.

Elusive hums a small bit and rubs the back of her neck. "Its no problem Thoren. I don't see a reason to report you as I am sure they already know you might be here. As you haven't tried to burn down the town i think you are fine thus far." She said watching him. She then clicked her tongue. "so do you know where you are going to stay?"

In response to her question, he emits his first chuckle out of his entire time here. He's glad to have gained some trust from her, and hopefully the other citizens as well... still, he worries of ever having to do something drastic... how long would it be before he'd do something to frighten everyone again? He sighs, figuring he'll just have to cross that bridge if he gets to it. In the meantime, he responds, "Then hopefully I'll be able to make it up to the Royal Family for their busted window. But, no, admittedly, I haven't had a moment to give that much thought. I honestly had no idea what to expect when I went through that portal, let alone where I would stay..."

She went to speak but the town bell rang for night time. She gasps and stands. "Oh man I'm late to get the records back To the castle!!" She squeaked as she galloped to the town hall entrance to find it locked! "Awwwww!" She squeaked. 

Most of the crowd began dispersing to go to bed and go home. However some stayed and still watched the human with intreague. 

The sudden sound of the bell would briefly throw Thoren into an instinctive, snap decision as his head whips around in the general direction of the noise. Though it would not take even a second to process the sound, and he would let out a breath in relief, but winds up tracking Elusive's movements immediately after. Unfortunately, at the moment, he's unable to fully sympathize with her, but nonetheless rises and makes his way over to the building's entrance. Amidst her panic, he tries his best to do some of the thinking. "Is there no other way to deliver them?" he asks while crossing his arms and thinking of further alternatives.

Elusive glanced over her shoulder. A sad look on her face. "No there isn't. Security measures ensure that the doors lock tight at this hour for the night and unlock in the morning. The processing hours at the royal records happen now and without the records delivered I am sure to lose my job." She whimpered.

Archived