S.S.D recon (private)

augercorn

Oh god, that, is one pissed off cat.....

Blackwing kept his rifle raised at it, though he didn't shoot. If this was a real situation, right now his rifle was not supressed, and a shot would alert the whole area. He had heard Doc pull his knife out, the sound of it exiting the sheath hitting his ears. 

"Lets just back away, that cat is not friendly" He said to the group, making sure his steps were slow as he started to walk backwards. He didn't want to be to slow, the cat might think he was scared and strike. He didn't lower his Scar at all, his finger on the trigger, just in case.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the fact Doc and Blackwing were on point, it was Midnight who acted without a single word. Despite the fact Midnight adorded cats of every kind, and in her mind, this Cougar was one of the most majestic creatures she'd ever seen, her mind in action was cold and full of logic.

Chances of the Cougar attacking: High, we're in its territory

Chances of the cougar killing a squadmate: Meduim. Cougars are fast and if they are slow to react, it'll tear their throat open.

Do I have a clear shot: Yes.

She pulled the trigger once and her sniper rifle rang out, the shot going straight into the Cougars forehead, and the 50 calibar bullet making a mess of its face.

"Target eliminated" she said coldly as she stayed in her position, but pulled her eye back, looking for other possible dangers. While, thinking about it, she realized she had just messed up, she wouldn't applogise. Wasn't it them who said she needed to think for herself more often?

dude and doc both looked at her with there jaws open 

dude seemed a bit sad "ok" he said 

doc threw his knife into the sand and the his hands up "whhh" he turned around he had a whole screaming rant for her but he stopped himself. He turned around and just seemed to exhausted."We need to teach her to coordinate with the team."

dude nodded "midnight go say a prayer for that animal, and put some sand on it." 

Doc came to blackwings side "good call, you made the right choice." And the he walked out with midnight

Midnight was already moving once she knew it was safe, and moved down next to the cougar, taking a sad breath in. She rested a hand on its snout, and closed the creatures eyes.

"I'm sorry..." she says softly to the dead feline "I'm sorry I had to end your life. You were a truly majestic creature...a-and, i'm sorry...Gods i'm sorry...I did what I had to...and I hate myself for it....God dammit it you were beautiful..." Her voice started to waver, and the girl took a deep breath and wiped her eyes before standing up, and gently biting her lower lip, mentally hating herself. How could she pull the trigger? Was that her, ice cold and emotionless? Or was this her, caring and loving...She didn't know...

Bang

Blackwing winced as he saw the shot hit the shot hit its face, turning away. He couldn't believe she had just done that... He shook his head, it passing through without much more thought.... mostly. He turned to Doc, watching him send Midnight to the corpse. When Doc just said he did the right thing, he sighed.

"Honestly, if my rifle had been suppressed i might have done the same thing, though if we are treating this like a actual operation, it would give everyone away." He replies back, dropping his rifle into the sling, watching him follow her. He turned to Chill, looking at him. In his own mind, he had failed that. He would have shot it if his weapon was unsupressed. Not nearly as brutally, or not even hitting it, but he still would have fired....

Doc stopped as blackwing explained. He just gave a nod and catcher up with midnight. He put his hand on her shoulder and walked with her back when she was done.

they made a circle dude stepping in and saying "ok so stuff like this is going to happen a lot on missions. Animals, civilians, all sorts of stuff can compromise us. And depending on the situwation and how were formed up you are going to have the split second to make the decision. ... Now what happened here? We have a loud noise, a target indicator" he said pointing to the dead cougar

"essentially some one knows we're here. So we're all safe which is good."he turned to midnight giving her some praise "but we've been compromised in our mission and a million guys might be coming over the hill" he turned to blackwing giving him some praise 

"now there's a very fine line that we have to toe, that's between safety and risk. Obviously we're not going to do something stupid. But we all have to be willing to take some risks to get the mission done but pushing it to the brink of ... Well actually being in danger. That's a lot of what I was talking about earlier about being able to think on your own. Suppose were taking pictures on a mountain and then some. Kid stumbles upon you were spaced out enough that you can't call over to someone, and he may or may not have seen you. Think about things like that. Now let's do a buddy rush back to where we started." He looked to midnight and nodded "it's ok"

doc looked to blackwing and said "we call it a buddy rush you guys might call it something difrent, but one person runs a few yards. And there buddy covers them. Simple, fast and effective!"

Blackwing listened in on talk. Like everything else, it was rather simple, and he had learnt it all before. He just sighed at the praise he felt, not really... feeling like he deserved it, but taking it anyway. The buddy rush was something he was pretty familiar with. It was one of the most important things in a team, not nessassarly the movement, but the idea, that someone is always watching your back. Helps a group function.

It was also what he had been doing when he lost his team...

He shook his head, getting rid of the thoughts that were plaguing him, turning to Doc as he finished the whole thing off. 

"Simple enough. Time to bail" He replies, turning and running a few yards before crouching down, digging his heel in as he spun around, aiming past Doc, and watching the area as best he could.

Midnight didn't react to the praise. Right decision or not, she hated herself for pulling the trigger and killing the cougar. She just couldn't stop herself either...she was weak. When Doc put his hand on her shoulder, she shrugged it off of her and walked into the circle, partly listening of Dude. Buddy rush? She'd seen her old team doing it, she knew what it entailed. She did her part, despite the bulkiness of her weapon, finding the boringness of the exercise. She wasn't in the mission mode anymore, and her emotions were floating free through her.  

Doc covered whoever ran ahead, holding his fake rifle scanning the area ready to snap in and shoot any fake enemies. When it was his turn to go he shouted "MOVING!" And sprinted ahead, he ran past everyone stopping at an engine that would make good cover. He slid in snuggling on to the engine. He went back to scanning the area and to tell whoever  was next to run forward he shouted "SET!" To tell them his position was set in place

they quickly reached the fence and dude smiled gesturing his hands for everyone to form up on him again. He was glad they could at least do some basics.  When everyone was gathered up he nodded 

"ok; Good stuff. We can try one or 2 more movements then I got something else in mind." He has a bit of an evil smile at that last sentence 

doc held fast. his hand resting on his neck stretching out a bit. He thought for a moment. They defitly had the basics down. They could do some boat stuff now, basic patrols and combat movements. Maybe next they could mix it up and do some thing a bit harder. 

Dude took a sip from his beloved thermos, he had a mole pouch on his vest just for it. "Ahhh. Ok this next one is a classic recon manover, we call it the zig-zag. It's good for if you think there are enemies stationed somewhere close and it keeps us spread out and stealthy." He sat down and began to draw in the sand with his finger 

"we have destination ... See that big pile over there?" He pointed to a rather large pile of parts and planes. It was a bit of a mystery how they got like that. "That's our destination. Now how we move is straight lines going side to side. Like I said this is a stealthy manover so pretend like we're weaving thru enemy patrols or something. Move low. Move fast. Now the point man has to set our spots and you just go into the spot the guy ahead of you was. And we just zig zag our way there, any questions?"

Midnight looked over as Dude suggested they try Zig-Zag. Simple, effective and, if she was honest, was useful only if sneaking in or out...She snorted, reloading her rifle, but staying silent. After her inability to stop herself from killing the Cougar, she didn't feel like talking and receiving yet another lecture, and so, she opted to silence and a simple head nod.

So a basic zig zag? Nothing to hard, seemed simple enough. Blackwing nodded to Chill, looking ahead at the destination. He started moving fast, keeping hiself as crouched as he could as he moved into a screen, before spotting another bush to use and moved towards that.

Doc followed blackwing from spot to spot. It seemed the team was picking it all up fairly quickly; which was good. 

Dude and said "ok good job now let's say we got contact forward. Blackwing you do 2 things. If someone see's you; do this number here." He raised his hand rotated his fist "to tell us we're going to start fighting.  Or if we haven't been spotted yet use this gesture. "He held out 2 fingers and made a pokin gesture.

"from there I'll decide what we do next. Probably hold our positions or fall back. But also we might spread out and find good hiding spots."  He nodded and took a sip from his thermos. 

"Ok. Do you guys want to take a break for a bit?"

• 2 weeks later...

Break.... That was a unfamiliar word, though it sounded amazing. Blackwing took a deep breath, looking around the graveyard. This place creeped him out quite a lot, but he had been in worse.

"I don't need a break, but if your tired" He responded, attempting some light humor.

Midnight looked up at Dude, as he offered a 'break'. The graveyard itself didn't spook the sniper, she treated it just like any other location. Part of her wanted to accept the break, if only to embrace the anger that was flowing through her after she'd killed the cougar, but to take a break was to admit defeat...To admit she was weak and incapable of training any further.

Midnight shrugged at Dude, her 'answer' to his question being indifference. She mentally noted how she hadn't spoken since she'd pulled the trigger, and found herself, once again, conflicted. During missions she was usually silent, and in general she never spoke...but ever since Doc...She didn't know who she was anymore..

Doc looked at his team; "yeah; let's get some water"

"Or beer!" Dude chimed in.

dude began walking off and doc followed not knowing where he was going 

"gunny wait!" Dude looked to his team 

"we got the basics, we can do something more advance later. Let's relax take it all in then we can do some prac-ap!"

prac-ap practical application ... A test

heblooked to his 2 teammates and asked blackwing seemed ok, maybe even enjoying it all. Midnight needed a moment. 

"Blackwing why don't you talk to dude about what he expects from you as point man? Midnight I need your help with something"

Doc walked with her away from the cougar corpse 

He wasn't sure what to say, how to help her. It felt like he had nothing but scotch tape and was trying to fix a rusted out car!

so he just didn't say anything he put his hand on her shoulder and looked her in the eye.

Despite Doc's gentle approach, the cold sniper simply raised an eyebrow up at him, and tapped a finger against her waist.

Despite the calmness of silence, she didn't understand what Doc was doing, so she opted to just ask.

"What?"

Midnight stared up at him, an almost confused look on her face as Doc asked her how she felt. She opened her mouth before pausing. She, in all honestly, didn't know. She was, conflicted. On one side of her, she was a caring person, the other, she was the coldest sniper. She didn't understand how, she was both, when one contrasted the other so much. She looked up at Doc, with something almost fear, in her eyes.

"I'm....wrong" she answers finally "I feel wrong"

Blackwing looked at Doc, wondering why he wanted him to kind of clear out, though quickly caught on when he saw him walking towards midnight. He sighed, knowing she needed to get over killing that cat... despite how horrid it was. He walked over to Chill, pulling out a small flask of water, drinking a little before putting it away. 

"This stuff is pretty simple, nothing different then what i had gone through in the Commando and SASR Regiments, just a different team.... which i don't think il ever get used to.... Anything else i should be aware of if i'm up front?" He asked.

Chill nodded "good, that's good. Well as you seem like you can do well up front, think fast, move fast. But be vigilant. So what we need to teach you is more route planning. As point man it's you who looks at the map and makes the path we're going to travel. So ... What do you know about that?"

Doc hugged her holding her for a moment before releasing and saying "it's ok. I don't think anyone in this world is ... Exactly right. Here" he hands her a canteen "half wanted half Gatorade. Very good for hydration ... Is there anything you can think of that will make you feel better? Anything at all?"

Midnight didn't lean into the hug, an action she did very often, as she was hugged and then released. She accepted the canteen, drinking a small amount from it before returning it to Doc. Part of her wanted to scream at him to help her. The issue was, she didn't know how he could help her, what he could do to change her. What could he do to help her? She didn't know, she'd never been helped before during her slumps, just told to find her next target and move on.

"....I don't know..." she admitted softly, knowing it wasn't what Doc wanted to hear, but not having the heart to lie to him.

Midnight looked down at the ground, she wish she knew, but she honestly didn't. She glanced up with a frown when Doc mentioned to 'harass some boots', whatever that meant. She simply nodded, not understanding in the slightly what he was trying to say.

Archived