S.S.D recon (private)

augercorn

Dude nods "ok good. So now we're going to load our packs. Of course it's going to be tailored for each mission but I just want to make sure we all know how to properly stow things. And it's important to know how we pack eaxhother's bag so if we need to grab something we're not fidgeting around like an a$$hole.

So midnight I'll go with you; I have a ruck of my own. And Black and doc go to S2 and get some maps. 1 for each of us but 2 for black, to study in his off time: He needs to know lailand pretty well. So we have 1 map of the country. And for missions were get a smaller map for our areas of deployment." 

Doc drops the ruck and nods "ok let's go" he says to blackwing. 

Doc wasn't sure about blackwing. He respected him as a warrior. But not much else. Maybe he just having a hard time adjusting? Doc wondered as he walked with him.

"so im not the best at land nav. But do you have any questions?"

as they left; there was a slight awkward air with dude and midnight. They hadn't talked alone since the night at the range. And the last time she really directed towards him; she was trying to shoot him. He took a sip from his thermos and said "so uhh your a tea drinker? I prefer straight water most of the time. Or coffee ... Mmm love me some coffee."

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midnight listened, and all she heard made sense. Docs pack would probably have the medical stuff, along with hers since both of them know first aid, even if her knowledge was limited. Knowing where everything is so they didn't waste time getting what was important, so far, despite her previous objections, he was proving a capable leader...for now.

"I prefer tea" she informs him "My mother has a thing for it, helped her calm down, I think I picked up the trait" she says, unsure why she was staying with him nor why she was telling him about her home life in the slightest.

Dude nods and walks with her as they exit the building 

"My mom drank alcohol to calm down, and to get mad, pretty much all the time. Kind of sucked acually." He says casually.

they make the sort walk to there gear lockers. Dude leans on the table waiting for her to take it out.

" so I'm sorry about the cougar. I see that you really think before you pulled the trigger. But from now on I want you to think more about the mission and the consequence. You fired to protect doc and black. Which is good, but there are going to be times were we need to trust them to handle the risks. That's really hard; I know. Trust me I know." He says nodding and execting her to yell at him! 

Again

Midnight didn't know why he was talking to her, and at the mention of the cougar, she glared over at him.

"I did my job" she snapped at him "I saw a threat and I removed it, as much as I regret it since Doc didn't have a gun and Blackwing would have missed. I took action before I had to, so don't you dare lecture me about trusting them, I did trust them, but I trusted myself more back then"

Chill let out a half sigh he knew that would happen.

"then why didn't you let them try? You trust your own aim and your team, why not let them try to back off?

im just saying; what if we're in the field in a similar situation? We're going to be on the razors edge the whole time!

Sometimes ... Look your going to understand this once you start doing more command stuff and doing leadership things; sometimes being a supervisor slash sniper. You gotta be there for them to fix there mistakes. If those two are forward and about to be compromised or spotted. If there's a chance! Even in the slimmest. We gotta let them take it. 

... I'm not saying you didn't do the right thing. But sometimes you need to see the big picture and the consequence. Even if it makes your own job harder."

he he then smiles in a goofy look "and trust me I'm not a bad sniper myself!" He says making a small toast with his thermos.

Midnight goes silent for a bit, before glaring over at him. This time, it was different. In her eyes was anger, not dampened by a lack of emotion, but raw uncontrolled rage.

"Don't you dare tell me that. Last time I l let someone 'try', she nearly had her head taken off. I had the clear shot, and I took it. And i'd do it again if I was given the option"

The Sniper turned away, battling down her emotions that she'd let slip, trying to bottle them up once again, and it was nearly 2 minutes before the girl turned back to face him. The anger gone, all emotion from her face had vanished. she'd used that time to grab her equipment pack, setting it on the table, and stared at Dude, waiting for him to inform her of whatever was so important.

Chill nods "ok I'm not going to waste my time. I just hope that in the field you understand what in trying to say." He says as he gestures for her to follow him. 

"In the meantime I'm going to need to know you can use a singar and prick-e9 radio. There pretty simple and if you never used one before I would be happy to show you."

Blackwing nodded as Chill explained that. It made sense, if they didn't know how their packs were packed, if one was wounded and the wounded one had the supplies, it would be so hard to find where it all was. But when he took midnight with him to pack, Blackwing hoped that she had gotten over everything so far. He sighed, then took off with Doc, who he hadn't had much time to actually talk to in a while.

He looked at Doc after he asked if he had any questions. He did, but none that he really was going to ask. He trusted Doc, but..... He mentally changed mind sets, not wanting his mind to go there.

"About land nav not to much, i'm confident in the field i'l be able to do fine, but route planning.... I really hope i don't lead us into trouble.... Like iv done before" He told Doc, sighing, his voice turning to a bit of a sadder version then the normal heartlessness tone he maintains. He was used to leading teams, even though he wasn't the squad lead anymore, he was used to it. In combat, he was quick to see to the needs of his brothers, taking out targets before they take them out. During stealth Ops, he was good at keeping quiet, and he could dispatch someone quickly. On his own, he knew he was fine, he didn't need to watch out for others, and despite how outgunned he would probably be, he wasn't afraid, he knew he would survive. He always had.

But never before had he had to actually choose their route. That.... If he chose the wrong route, it could all go south fast. He took a deep breath, wanting to change his mindset.

"But i do have questions about what you think of Chill" He says after. He already knew how close Doc and Midnight was, but he was curious on his thoughts on their new leader.

Doc swiped his card and they went into the s3 "chill? Well the name says it all he's pretty laid back and seems to know what he's doing. I would like to get to know him better; before we start. But so far I trust him. He's been going they a lot of trouble to make sure we all know what we're doing. So clearly he cares about us." He says. 

They wait in line to talk to the Seargent at the desk. Maps are a huge security item. They have locations, routes and other points of interest. If a map falls into enemy hands they now know where all your bases are, what the ones holding it were doing. And all sorts of other information. Therefore it's a bit of a process to get your hands on one.

Chill nodded, and walked with her"ok cool" seemingly not caring at all that she just snapped at him. "Oh by the way. what kind of pistols do you want to use for this?"

"Pistols?" Midnight frowns at him "I don't use pistols much, so i'm not the person to ask. Last pistol I used was my co's 44, I usually stick to Sub machine guns. But if pistols are required, it would depend what they're being used for..."

Dude nods "ok yeah, that's cool. Whatever your comfortable with. I like pistols because you you can use them one handed and be carying $:-; or holding rope, or whatever.  But if your better with an smg that's fine. Just trying to consolidate our ammo requests. 

What do you want to use? Mp5?" He asks 

he opens the door to his room and comes out with a very nice looking ruck that he clearly hand painted to a green jungle camp himself. There were other marks of customization he made that made it look tactical, and comfortable to wear.

Blackwing listened to what the Corpsman had to say, and he sort of agreed. It was true everything he said, and he had already proven he could be trusted, at least in Blackwings eyes, but his mind went back to the conversation they had evesdropped onto, and he still was a little concerned about it. He kept it to himself, instead, he followed Doc into the line, sighing as he noticed how long this might take.

"Whats the most important things to bring in our packs? Iv done this kind of work before, but i have a feeling this might be different" He asks, adding a little onto it just to say the reason. They needed to pass time, this might be a easy way.

Midnight nods "Mp5 is my usual preference, however i'm more than capable with most submachines guns, but yes" she confirmed. While she was indeed able to use most, she liked the Mp5, it fitted well in her hands and she could control the recoil rather well being the main reason she enjoyed the smg.

The line actually moved but it was very slow. 

Doc thought for a moment as he stepped forward "water, I mix a few gallons with electrolyte powder. But your definitely going to want plenty of water. We're out there for days at a time. And you need to keep your strength up." Doc nods. They would go over the mission essential equipment soon, radios, tough books and the cameras. But having some cold clean water when you needed it certainly felt like the most important thing!

they stepped forward and it was finally there time doc order the maps and the desk marine walked away to print them out. 

Dude noded "good. Do we have some in the armory? Because if not I can ummm "borrow"

he finger quotes and sounds extra sarcastic.

"some nice guns, might be lightly used. But we can get some good ones of you prefer them."

Midnight shakes her head "I have a single Mp5 in the armoury with 1 clip of ammo, that's all. Outside of that, my knives and my sniper, that is my basic equipment" her voice was still devoid of emotion, a cold shell that stared at Dude with disinterest.

Blackwing simply nodded at Doc, watching as he ordered their maps. He still didn't like this that much, but he knew he would get used to it. He simply sighed, then his mind went back to thinking about what to bring, this time though, he was going through weapons instead of items. His mind raced, Black slowing blanking out.

chill looked at midnight shaking his head knowing that at the moment nothing he said would get thru to her; or raise her approval of him any further. He opened the door and set up the packs with there supplies.

doc handed the maps to Blackwing. They were laminated pretty tough. They headed back doc saying "I suppose being point man is all about being able to spot things First. while knowing your directions. Get that down and you'll do fine."

they came back into the office regrouping the team. Doc sat down on the couch. this would be an important lesson for black and mids but it's one he went over and applyed many times before.

Dude took a sip from his thermos; before setting it down and coming over to the bags

"right! So. Think of it as being fighting and camping at the same time. We're going to be out in the jungle for days at a time. That said here's the things we need to carry, to survive and carry out our mission."

He holds up some laptop computers. Coated in a thick layer of plastic "Twilight-tec tough book. This is what we use for all of our data processing. We use it to send Intel pictures. Store any good data we find. And so on and so fourth. Good stuff." He says dropping them on the floor for each member of his team "they won't break, but if you lose yours I'll have you do burpees until your arms fall off." A casual threat. But he sounded serous. These were important and expensive equipment. He casually let them fall to the floor demonstrating how durable they actually are. 

He then went back to the table grabbing a  small black tote bag. He went back in front of them pulling out a very nice looking sleek black camera! "This is what we were issued for our cameras. Uhh let's see here" he looks at the camera inspecting it for his team "fox- electric eye. ok I've used these one before there fine. These camera's are designed specifically for special ops. I want everyone to have a camera and a lens bag. We can do a small class on combat photography for those who need it." He drops the camera bags off with another smaller bag containing all the lens they might need.

"next were all going to need prick-e2 radios. These are basically short range wallow talkies. Me and midnight will have the cingar radio which is the big one. We use these small ones to talk to eachother. And the big one to call for fire or talk to mission control." He gives everyone a radio.

"next; here's the worse part. We're going to share the load on batteries. Now we need batteries for ... Everything. And there heavy so everyone gets to carry a few extra pounds of these!" 

He points to a few batteries which have been wrapped up and water proofed. He opens up the bag showing everyone and setting some down.

"ok that's our mission centric equipment. Now we're going into what I personally say you carry. Then we can go into our own personal stuff. Any questions on our vital gear? ... Don't be shy." 

• 2 weeks later...

Midnight focused on the the items, and so far it made sense. Cameras for scouting, radios, although she wasn't too thrilled with the idea of the information books. They might be tough, but they'd also prove a huge pain to mobilise. Outside of that, she didn't have many issues. Batteries...Urgh, batteries would absolutely suck! She'd been lucky with her old team, sitting up on a perch with her rifle, a ton of ammo and food, she'd never needed to bother about packs.

"Seems to make sense" she said finally, emotion slowly seeping back into her voice "I presume we'll have a location that will serve as an operations camp, meaning that when we deploy we won't have to carry everything for each mission correct?"

While she was, in part, curious about that, but also what would occur once deployed. Were would they be held up, given the stakes of the mission, it's unlikely they'd be deployed with large numbers of people.

• 2 weeks later...

(SORRY!!! Il try and be more active!!)

Black groaned on the way back. Spotting, fine, directions.... he was starting to wish he had taken a spot further back, though he had chosen this, and was going to see it through. He didn't make any more noise, or talk at all until they got to the briefing.

He stayed quiet as the packs were explained, and that was just the base items. The heaviest part would be the battery's and laptop, the latter he had no idea why he would need it. The camera and lenses he didn't mind to much, they wouldn't be that bad. But once you factor in the food, water, ammo and any extra weapons or gear we had to carry, it would become a very heavy load. If they got into a fight, Black knew he might need to combat drop his load to actually feel comfortable. 

"Pack seems straight forward" He said to Chill before turning towards Midnight. She had a good point, a camp would be nice. But since war wasn't 'officially' declared yet, only the brass would even know they were their. He knew the answer, he knew that until the fight started they would be deniable and on their own, but he decided to let the lead handle this one.

Doc had gone over this many, many times before. He pulled out his cell phone and loaded Internet to check the news. To see if there might be any good info on lailand. 

Chill smiled nodding to Blackwing then pointed to midnight "good question" he shifts his torso and picked up long cardboard box on the table. It was sort of surprising to see him handle it easily with one hand 

"in the reconassaince community we call the spot where we hide and sleep "the hindsight" he says letting the box drop with a loud thud.

he pulls out a knife opening it up saying "we got a new kit; so that's nice." He opened the box presenting it too them. It was a few poles and camo netting. Nothing special but when you were out in the field; it would help hide you and make you feel more cozy.

"Usually what we do is find a safe place near enough to our objective. then set it up and move forward, leaving any unessary gear inside. Simple as that! Depending on the circumstance we can either break the hindsight kit up and share the load. Or  just have 1 of us holding it. Sometimes we'll acually spy out of the hindsight itself. But I prefer not too."

he rubs his hands together and grabs a few green plastic bags opening them up showing thick waterproof camo uniforms. "Ok I want each of you to have some waterproof clothing. It rains a lot in the jungle and I don't want you guys affected by the weather. But im going into doc's territory a bit here." 

Doc looks up from his phone "he's right. We're out there for days on end. Your going to be a burden of you get hypothermia. If you don't have goretex(the company that makes said waterproof uniforms) we can get you some. Also I want you guys to change your socks every other day." Doc was brief and curt. Blackwing and midnight were professionals; they would know how to take care of them selfs in combat. There was a fine line between taking care of yourself and going thru the nessasry troubles. You had to stay healthy and full of fighting energy in the field. They we're bringing just the bare nessesity to do just that. 

Dude nodded and took a sip from his thermos and put his clothing back in the green bag demonstrating how they were designed to compress and help pack things nice and tight. He pulled out another one which was labels with duct tape as "sleep system" which of course would hold his sleeping bag. He also tossed another smaller one labeled"spare uniforms" 

The waterproof compression bags laid on the ground along with the rest of the gear. Which was adding up to be a lot of stuff. "Also I'm a stickler for everyone having an E-tool" (the foldable shovel like what soldier has in team fortress. Stands for entrenching tool.) "just have one in your bags, please. And lastly we should always have plenty of rope! I don't have rope on us now. But we use it for everything. From climbing mountains, securing prisoners, attaching ourselfs to helicopters for quick evac, were always going to have rope. What kind we bring depends on the mission, but remember we're having it in there too. Now that covers it for my personal checklist. Now you can put in whatever you want, spare weapons, ammo, duct tape. You name it. Any questions?"

doc stands up next to him "I'm going to get us first aide kits. Everyone is going to have some medical supplies on them. I'll teach a class on combat first aide later. But as far as packing goes remember we will have those too."

So much stuff!!! Blackwing couldn't help but let out a small groan about just how much they were carrying. He hated this kind of work, but he knew that in the end he would be greatful for all the stuff they had. He was suprised that they were going to have a little storage camp, he had thought they would be on their own with no storage at all, so that was a nice bit of news. Once he finished the checklist, Blackwing took a mental note of the extra stuff, though he had a question.

"When we first deploy, will we be bringing extra weapons and mags for the storage site? Or will any new gear we need be delivered?" He asked, wondering if he should go find himself a couple spare weapons to bring along, or if he should just the essential side arm and rifle.

Midnight wouldn't lie to herself, she was lucky in a way. Being a sniper in her old team, she never had to bother with anything that wasn't her baby or a vehicle, but now...it all seemed too much. So much equipment, and half of it she didn't have. Waterproofs were, elsewhere and she'd need clothes, a lot of socks and others, since she didn't have too much currently with her.

Scanning over the equipment, clothes, waterproofs. She also threw in a request for a Cg36C, an assault rifle she felt the most comfortable with just incase her sidearms wouldn't be enough, or she was doing more than long range scouting. Given they were going to set up a mini base, extra equipment wouldn't hurt as long as she could carry it there. An extra rifle shouldn't be too bad, assuming they didn't saddle her with a lot. Her sniper was heavy enough, through in a rifle, ammo and all this extra equipment...Suddently using a helicopter seemed like a much better idea.

"I assume we'd be deployed with the absolute basics and have the extra dropped off and delivered to us, assuming we're going in via water...Then we could have plane-supply drops, or have them sent in at night via the water" She wasnt' sure, but blackwing had a good point and what she was suggesting seemed logical, at least, to her.

Doc nervously looked to them both then to chill. Chill took a long sip from his thermos thinking about how to break the news. When done he lowered his thermos and said

"we're reconassance; we do whatever is sneakest. Even if that means moving in on foot;  a hundred miles from target. even if that means being dangerously under equipped. Barley enough ammo to hold me off." His voice was a bit stern as if it were a fact of life they would have to deal with if they wanted to be a part of the team.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up on getting an air drop. Usually were going to be far too close to the enemy to do something Like that. And if we need more weapons than its better to call in the grunts; that's what there there for. To smash targets to big for us, or an air strike."

doc spoke up "in terms of ammo. I like to keep it all on my vest. 6-7 reloads is usually more than you'll ever need. If you want more we can put it in the bags ; but when you think about it. We're likely not going to have time to reach into our bags and get it when we really need it. When recon fights, were swift, silent and deadly. We use what we need and nothing more."

dude nodded and pointed to the map. "So for example. A typical reconasance mission might be to ... Explore this point." He points to a random spot in the jungle "we hear that the enemy might be there. So we pick our insert point. Which I personally would want here." He points to a spot behind a mountain about 50 miles away if the scale of the map is accurate.

"we meet up and move to a good vantage point like the mountain. Make the hike, then set up our hindsight" he traces his finger about 20-30 miles to the top of the mountain. "From here; we spy and react based on whether we see the enemy or not. If it's just some route they use. We mark it and follow up. If it's a juicy target, we call in fire. And have artillery or air missiles blow it up. Then we go in and do battle damage assessment or b.d.o and determine if the hits were a success. Then we can extract at whatever point we picked." 

Doc nods "sounds easy on paper" dude smirks  and softly says "no man or woman; born coward or brave can shun his destiny" doc then glared at him "oh look at you being a hipster quoting patrocklas when Achilles would be much! Much more apropiate!" Dude laughs gently "yeah that's what I'm afraid of... So enough learning by talking; let's learn by doing!"

• 4 weeks later...

A audiable groan could be heard from the silent figure as he heard those evil words. No air drops, and start packing. He couldn't help but sludgeish walk, still with his blank expression to his bag and gear, looking at it all, then he straighend up. They were going deep behind enemy lines for this, and he wanted to be prepared. He grabbed a sheet of paper, and started writting down what he wanted to bring. 

Single M1911A1 side arm pistol

Single MK 23 Heckler and Koch with a removable suppressor. 

After he wrote down that, he added in extra rations, some extra water and of course, a couple books.... Along with some personal items, which he wanted delivered from his old base. Mainly a box of stuff that was important to him. He then walked over to Chill and gave it to him. He had the rest of his gear here at the base.

(Sorry!!! Been a busy month....)

Archived