Thunderbuck had taken his cart into town now. His niece peeking out of the open window up front. She was calm, watching the various other ponies walk past. Buck pulled the cart alone, his magic making it lighter and rolling on its own. As he came to an empty spot, he parked the cart and unhitched himself. CaramelCream busied herself inside with finding a few things. The coin case they used to collect anything the ponies offered. her basket, which she normally sold backed goods from. Though at the moment it was empty. She looked around and spotted the coin pouch Buck had for buying supplies. Picking it up in her magic she pulled her basket in her teeth and slipped out the back.

She was headed for the town center. She was intent on buying supplies for the two of them for a few days. She wondered how successful her uncle would be here. This town didnt seem to have any performers standing around yet. But maybe they came at a different time of day. If that was the case, uncle Buck would have the town to himself for at least a little while. 

Thunderbuck was in the cart, looking at the by laws of Ponyville, He had left the side windows open in the event some pony wandered up. he did offer instrument repair as well as street music. The posters on the side listed his prices. As he was looking over the laws to see if he needed a license to perform here in Ponyville, he paused to look up toward where Caramel was walking. This town was peaceful and the foal was old enough to use her magic if she needed. He had taught her how to teleport if she needed it. But it was just one of the few spells she had. She was learning the lightning magic that was common to their family. At least she need not worry about bullies with that in her saddle bags. 

twilight_sparkle_banner_by_zacatron94-d6b2IxtTc.jpg

"Aw Twi, come on! We could'a stopped for a couple minutes!" The dragon rubbed his belly ruefully as he rode on the alicorn's back. "I'm hungry!"

"Spike, you know we're on a tight schedule today. We need to finish our rounds of Ponyville before lunch. That way we'll see as many ponies as possible before the lunch rush."

"I don't know why I couldn't have just bought a little snack,"

"A schedule's a schedule, you know that! Come on, this won't take too long then we'll go have a nice lunch."

"Oh alright...remind me to pack my lunch next time..."

Twilight chuckled. Spike was a baby dragon after all, when he was hungry he needed feeding. She opened her saddle bag with her magic and levitated an apple to her little friend. "Here you go Spike. I almost forgot I brought this along. You can have it to tide you over."

The two continued down the path, making small talk mostly. Then up ahead Twilight saw a familiar sight. That cart, that stallion. It had to be Thunderbuck. The two had met briefly but she hadn't really had time to get to know him.

"Now's as good a time as any! We are supposed to be meeting whichever ponies are around town."

Twilight trotted up to the cart. She smiled at the performer in the friendliest manner she knew how. "Hello there!"

Thunderbuck Jerked softly, turning slowly. Without that mask on he looked rather spooked. He quickly pushed his mane back out of his face and spoke. "Your majesty." He gave a quick bow of his head before returning his eyes to her. He spotted Spike on her back. But paid little mind to him. Buck dared a glance toward Caramel's direction. She was still headed toward the vendors. Good. 

Thunderbuck relaxed some and swiped his hoof over his face. The mask fell into place as it normally would. IT was a simple calm expression on the mask. Just a plane pony mask. But having it on seemed to make Buck himself much more relaxed. "May I be of assistance Your majesty? IS there an instrument you need repaired? Or perhaps you have a song you wish to hear?"The stallion had a magic about him. Something that set him off from every pony around him. He was small for a fully grown stallion. Scrawny like he didn't work out of even exercise. But his horn was longer, curved a bit. he relied entirely on his magic to do his daily tasks. 

Twilight smiled again at Buck's response. He was very respectful! She sometimes forgot her role meant that ponies would treat her differently.

"It's good to see you Thunderbuck!" She had picked up the masked stallion's name during their last encounter.

IS there an instrument you need repaired? Or perhaps you have a song you wish to hear?

"Or a sandwich you'd like to make me..." Spike muttered. He had finished his apple and was still hungry.

"Spike!" Twilight reprimanded the dragon. "Please excuse my assistant." She glanced about the cart. Buck seemed like an interesting character indeed. "Hmmmm, I don't think I need any instruments repaired but a song might be nice," She wondered what sort of music he played.

The inside of the cart was packed. Lined with various instruments from the modern double decked keyboard, down to the very old styles of violin and woodwinds. Bucked turned to the cart and his horn glowed softly. The side opened up fully. The bedrolls inside rolled themselves up and tucked away. It was a mobile stage and workshop. Small though it was, the cart served multiple purposes. 

The stallion nodded softly as everything settled in place and locked.  Buck moved to the walls of instruments. He levitated the keyboard down. Blowing the dust from it he let it float over to center stage as it set itself up and he turned back to the walls. Levitating down a small drum set that looked like it was older than he was. He let it float over and set itself up as well. This process repeated for a cello and then a small set of speakers. Then a saxophone setting itself on a stand. The stallion had a variety of instruments in the cart. each packed neatly away. The whole set up was after about 10 minutes. Then a bag floated off the stage and held itself in front of Spike. it was partly full of fruit. A variety of fruits.  as it landed itself on his lap, the stallion took his place. The last piece to fall into place was a small case set out for bits to be put into if ponies liked the music. 

Buck sat himself at the keyboard. His horn arched and the electronics came to life. Lightning magic. his eyes closed as be breathed deeply and then set his hooves to the keys. Multiple instruments levitated up. Five, maybe six came alive as he began to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV6Or_LXuG8

The stallions mane fell back over the mask as the music began to lift into the air. For having old, worn instruments, they continued to work beautifully. As the first song entered full swing, his body became more fluid in motion. moving with the notes and shifting pose to match his devotion to the music. The stallion was playing with more than just heart and soul. If one stood to the side, they could see the mark on his flank look brighter, more full. This was his talent. Music, in all its forms. IT was not long before the foal returned. CaramelCream stood just to the side of the cart, her basket full of fruits and other supplies that looked like they were packaged for travel. She just watched Buck play. The large bows on her ears shifted slightly as she sat. She paid little attention to anything but her Uncle's music. Though, the bows on her ears both said DEAF in large bold letters. She cold not hear the music. But the vibrations in the air were clear and clean. She could feel them. She began to sway with the music softly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight and Spike watched in fascination as the cart unfolded into a magical musical menagerie. When the music started the princess couldn't help but sit down to listen. It was such wonderful music! She pondered the idea of hiring this stallion on the spot if he would have that. She was sure the other princesses would be more than happy to have this sort of musician on permanent employ at the castle.

Spike had hopped off Twilight's back and was standing, his tail swaying the the enchanting rhythms. After a while Caramel Cream showed up and the little dragon couldn't help but notice the baskets of fresh fruits she had with her. He was going to ask her if he could have a few fruits to eat but then noticed the bows on her ears. So she was deaf? He could still communicate!

Twilight hardly noticed her dragon ward begin to try to distract the filly. He pointed to the fruit and then to his mouth a couple times before reaching for a nice big pear from the pile...

The music ended and Twilight clapped her hooves together.

"That was simply amazing!"

She suddenly snapped back to attention. She noticed what Spike was up to.

"Spike! Really? Distracting this filly during that wonderful performance!"

"I'm soooo hungry..." The dragon moaned.

"I'm sorry but would it be alright if Spike had a couple of these fruits? I can have them replaced...why do you two need so much fruit?!"

((sorry this took a while.))

Caramel Cream smiled at Spike. Letting him take the pear. As the music ended she felt the vibrations in the air. Turning toward Twilight, the foal tried to read her lips but... she spoke quick. Were all allicorns like that? Thunderbuck came down slowly. "It is alright. We don't mind sharing." Coming to Caramel the stallion made several hoof motions that looked odd and out of place. But the foal seemed to understand and nodded to him. "Sorry, but would you please speak slower? My niece can't read your lips when you talk." Sitting quietly the stallion smiled behind his mask. 

"As for why we need that much fruit... well we often spend days at a time between towns. No telling how often we get the chance to stop and resupply. If the given crowd is willing to toss a few coins our way. So We try to make sure there is enough food to last us a while. You know, just in case the cart gets stuck and I cant lift it magically." He pat Caramel on the head softly. "And as much as any pony loves sweet things, I want to make sure she had something healthy to eat as well you know? At least until her mum can get settled in Fet Loch and care for her again." Caramel levitated an apple up and took a bite. She munched happily on her treat. Though as pudgy as she was, she was energetic and playful. Buck knew she couldn't read his lips while he had the mask on so he spoke softly to avoid drawing her attention with the sound vibrations. "She lost her hearing when we were further North. Bad ear infection from the cold. The cart isn't really made for that kind of weather. So I keep to the southern areas these days. She learned how to read lips when some pony talks. But she has trouble keeping up with speech that moves quickly. She doesn't like advertising that she is deaf, but at least this helps other ponies know she can't hear them coming and to try to not spook her." She finished her apple, and tucked the core away in a small bag she kept to the side. As she sat smiling, she looked curiously at spike. She had never seen a dragon before. And he seemed nice. 

Buck pat her head gently. "She's well behaved and friendly. At least more so than I was. I can't even face my own audience without hiding my face. That being said, is there a particular piece you like the sound of. I am well versed in most anything from classical to modern. Rave music, Club, country, rock, jazz. If you can name it, I can play it. That's my talent. Music." He smiled again, still hiding behind that mask. Though the mask did change a bit. The color brightened in response to his mood. "I usually mix different styles. I like to blend Zebra tribal instruments with the more classical Maretonian stings and some modern Equestrian tones from my keyboard. It makes for an interesting mix. I just wish it brought in more coin than this." he laughed a little, gesturing toward the coin case. A few other ponies had stopped to listen. A few even threw some coins in for him. Though it was just a few. It was clear that his profession was not as successful as others. "My dream is to one day share a stage with other artists like myself. And my friends. We usually travel in a troupe. But some times we split up to try and find more places. We are often welcomed by the Mustangs. Though, we dont often stay long. None of us feel like intruding upon their territory. And... well I'm a noisy sleeper to be honest. My friends are used to it. However I often find that I can't stay in a place for too long. No one likes a musician making a racket at 3 in the morning." He gave a soft chuckle, like it was some inside joke. 

Archived