Luna's Dreamscape - Starlight Glimmer (Closed ATTN: Lyipheoryia)

Lux

Spoiler

Princess_Luna_sweet_dream.jpeg

Image found on Google, because... Luna!

With her duties of raising the moon ended and bidding her sister goodnight, Princess Luna retreated to the serenity of her Dream Room. It was a simple room with a large round bed that resembled an oversize Ottoman and several bookshelves containing tomes filled notes about past dreams. She settled onto the comfortable bed and drifted off into the dream realm. Helping ponies to solve problems in their drams was always exciting and a little scary for the Princess. There was no telling who she would encounter or what their problem might be that became manifested in a nightmare. Although she helped countless ponies, there was always the possibility she could not help somepony. But she wasn't going to let worry hinder what she had to do. Seeking out the nearest dream, the Alicorn could tell just by the magic it gave off that this was a powerful pony dreaming. 

The ponies gathered around her, the scene too clean and pristine to be a dream.  Their eyes were mad with rage, and the world she stood in was shattered.  The houses she had worked so hard on building were ablaze in a vibrant display of flashy red's and oranges.  The society and village she had poured time and care into had dissolved into absolute Chaos.  The ponies she had so loved.  The ponies she had tried to give a better future.  They all stood in front of her, screaming.

Yelling.

Spitting.

Throwing.

~at her.

Perhaps the most intricate part of the visual were the cutie marks of the ponies.  They didn't glow or sparkled in magic-but something about them seemed to make her focus on them rather than the angry ponies threatening her safety.  The cutie marks were...

...were...

Unique.

Special.

And so she ran.

She ran past the burning village, and into the snowy mountains.  She ran and ran and ran and didn't look back.  She ran until she could't hear their voices or smell the thundering smoke from her old home.  She ran until suddenly, she was running back into the village.  Running back into the burning fires and angry ponies.  And she tried to run away again-but her hooves wouldn't work and the ponies edged nearer, and nearer.  

"Help~"

Luna peered into the dream realm and saw a very familiar pony at the center of this illusion: Starlight Glimmer. The Alicorn knew from Twilight Sparkle and from meeting the unicorn during her night court that the pony had both a great magical talent and a troubled past. The Princess knew all too well about Starlight attempting to remove the cutie marks of everypony who came into her town as well as trying to rewrite history so that the former Elements of harmony would never meet. Such bad things could not be ignored, and by the look of this nightmare the unicorn could not ignore her past. Luna wondered if this was the infamous Our Town where Starlight attempted to create her own community. Clearly things weren't going as well as Starlight wanted as her town was literally going up in smoke and the townsfolk were rioting. Luna watched as Starlight attempted to escape only to find herself back at the same town enduring the same ridicule. 

"Be still!" Luna said as the dream froze around the unicorn including the ponies and even the flames from the buildings, "So, this was the town in which you tried to have your own community, Starlight Glimmer?" 

As the ponies neared her and the flames started to flicker over her, she began to scream.  The ponies now bore pitchforks, and the sharp points pointed menacingly at her.  Just before the tips reached her, the entire scene froze.  She gave a gasp of relief and stopped her screaming, pleased that it was nothing more than a dream.  Before she could do anything else, though-a voice echoed loudly through her.  

9 hours ago, Lux said:

"So, this was the town in which you tried to have your own community, Starlight Glimmer?" 

"Princess Luna?"

She looked around, before bowing her head, "Yes, Princess.  I...made a lot of mistakes.  This town was one of them.  It seems it's finally gained a chance to get back at me...though the 'eternally running into a trap' trick isn't too hard to master," 

She gave a weak smile at the latter phrase, trying to soothe herself from the fear that had left her in a state of shock.  Cold sweat beaded on her fur, and her pupils were dilated.  She shook and shivered, trembling with every look around her old town.  My Town.  Our Town.

Luna could see that Starlight was in shock over seeing the fruits of her labor now turning against her. The Alicorn could relate to what the unicorn spoke about, but in a slightly different way. While Starlight was experiencing a town turned against her, Luna essentially turned against Equestria becoming Nightmare Moon! But something interested Luna with what Starlight said,   "It seems it's finally gained a chance to get back at me." 

"The town is getting back at you?" Luna replied, "Tell me, do you think that the ponies that lived in your town would hold such a grudge enough to burn down their town and attack you?" 

"The town is getting back at you?"

She took a deep breath, about to explain.

"Tell me, do you think that the ponies that lived in your town would hold such a grudge enough to burn down their town and attack you?" 

Exhale.  She gave a full look around the scene, and walked around a bit in silence.  She tried to ignore the Princess's question, but her mind was full of remorse.  After a few minutes, she turned back to the Princess, "You would understand...When you're so caught up in something-your goals gets confused with something more...vile.  I had all the right intentions in mind, but I tried too hard and ended up ruining anything I had accomplished,"

She paused, staring at the Princess in the eyes, "The thing is, they've already attacked me,"

Even in the dream realm, Luna could feel the weight of the dreamer's words and emotions. What weighted heavily was what Starlight first said,  "You would understand...When you're so caught up in something-your goals gets confused with something more...vile.  I had all the right intentions in mind, but I tried too hard and ended up ruining anything I had accomplished,"

Luna knew exactly what she was referring to and it was no secret what... or who... Luna was just a short time ago. But something interesting was also said. 

"The thing is, they've already attacked me,"

"Oh they did? I heard Twilight speak of how after the ponies received their cutie marks they chased you out of town, but did they attack you?" 

Starlight kept her head down, trying to hide the tears that pooled in her eyes and were threatening to drip out.  It was so strange...A little while ago, I would be the one telling ponies to not be sad, and that my village would be a sanctuary for those lost in the oath of their cutie marks.  Now, she was nothing more than a shadow-meant to be extinguished by the light.

"Oh they did? I heard Twilight speak of how after the ponies received their cutie marks they chased you out of town, but did they attack you?" 

She took a deep breath, and tried not to think of their angry faces.  They're disappointed faces...

"It was...personal.  Ponies I had trusted to stay loyal for years turned on me as quickly as..." she froze, realizing something, "...As I had.  Oh~  All those years I thought I was helping them, but it quickly turned from selfless to selfish.  I guess all my past actions finally caught up to me,"

Luna understood now what Starlight Glimmer meant by them attacking her. It wasn't physical but hurt nonetheless. 

"Words can hurt as badly as actions. By them turning on you like that, your plans went up in flames, just like now it seems." 

With that Luna waved a hoof around the frozen dream, showing the buildings in flames as well as the inflamed personalities of the ponies around her. 

"Have you heard of the saying 'The Road to Tartarus is paved with good intentions'? There are those who begin something that they want truly to help others. Often times they succeed, but there are times that ego gets in the way and soon it becomes less of 'How can I help others?' and more of 'How can I help myself or have others see my vision?' Your intentions were to make this place where ponies did not fear about leaving once they found their calling with their cutie marks, correct?" 

"Words can hurt as badly as actions. By them turning on you like that, your plans went up in flames, just like now it seems." 

Starlight nodded, and the tears dripped from her eyes.  She turned to the scene around her as the Princess gestured, and all she could feel was the remorse and pain building up inside of her.  

"Princess..."

"Have you heard of the saying 'The Road to Tartarus is paved with good intentions'? There are those who begin something that they want truly to help others. Often times they succeed, but there are times that ego gets in the way and soon it becomes less of 'How can I help others?' and more of 'How can I help myself or have others see my vision?' Your intentions were to make this place where ponies did not fear about leaving once they found their calling with their cutie marks, correct?" 

She took a deep breath, that turned into a hiccup halfway because of another gush of tears.  I guess the Princess would understand...with Nightmare Moon and all that~

"I wanted this Town to be a safety zone...a place for ponies that would be accepted no matter what.  It didn't matter what their special talents were, what their future foretold, or what their cutie marks were-they could all live here in equality.  At least...that was what I wanted it to be.  The more time I spent there, the more I realized the importance of my own cutie mark.  It was my cutie mark, afterall-that made this place possible!  It was just all so very...confusing,"

"Unfortunately as much as we hope we can shield ourselves and others from the negative things in our lives, we cannot. I think that in creating this town you were also trying to shield yourself from the outside world. You had good intentions, but then your intentions changed. You realized that having a cutie mark didn't mean that you would be alone. That brings up two interesting points. First, what do you think would happen if the townsfolk learned earlier on that you didn't give up your cutie mark? The second question is: Why did you resort to physically removing their marks rather than some other way of creating equality among the citizens?" 

• 3 weeks later...

She took a deep breath, but it only turned into a hiccup of a tear.  The Princess's words seemed to calm her soul...but at the same time, stir up the past emotions that had culled her near to insanity, "If they had found out earlier, I think they might not have come with me into Our Town.  They might not have given me hope to continue.  They might not have given me the thoughts that what I was doing was right.  They might not have publicly disgraced me.  They might not have turned the ponies I thought were my friends against me!"

She turned towards the mountains, and screamed, "THE MANE SIX MIGHT NOT HAVE COME!  THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE RUINED MY LIFE!  THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE TORN THE VERY THING I THOUGHT WAS MY DESTINY INTO PIECES!"

Huffing and puffing, Starlight began to cry.  Softly, she whispered, "I might not have been given a second change...I might not have had any true friends...I might not have...have...,"

All the memories rushed up into her, and she curled up on the cold hard ground.  The tears that poured from her eyes felt foreign and unreal.  The world around felt sleepy, and all she could do was curl up even tighter and let the river that washed from her eyes fall free.

"I might not have seen Sunburst again," 

Princess said nothing as Starlight spoke about everything that transpired with the events of the formation of Our Town and afterwards. There was still that anger pent up at watching her plans fall apart, but the unicorn seemed to know that there was a silver lining to the events that took place. 

"See this tree over here?" Luna said pointing to one nearby the burning town that had not suffered from the inferno. "The roots off this tree are like the choices we make. We know that our choices have consequences, good or bad, but like these roots we cannot see them. Even I cannot see how the actions I made would impact others. If I had known... well... things might have been different with my life. When you created your town, you invited others into your idea of the world, an idea that many accepted. This was a choice, not only to just isolate yourself from the world but also to bring others in. Perhaps you weren't looking for isolation, instead seeking friends who shared your ideals. But by inviting others in, the consequence was that you invited others who did not share your ideal life, and when you made the choice to forcibly remove their marks the consequence was that they would rebel. But in the end of your town, the consequence was that you had to face the outside world. You tried to return to the safety of your town by altering time itself, but time cannot and should not be meddled with as I heard you and Twilight Sparkle found out. We can't change the past but we can learn from it, and like this tree all your roots, all your choices and consequences, form who you are."

She paused to see that Starlight Glimmer was still sobbing from the loss before saying softly, "I know what you went through, for I too tried to change the world around me because I was hurt. That was a choice, and the consequence was dire for myself, my sister, and Equestria. But like your ideals of a perfect town being torn apart, so too did the darkness inside of me had to be destroyed. But out of this destruction came rebirth into a new and better life. It is not easy leaving the old life behind while still clinging to the memories of what could have or should have been, but when we do choose to start our new lives with learning from our mistakes, we are better for it. So, Starlight Glimmer, will you choose to start anew, or live in the past?"

With that Luna waved a hoof around where the still frozen town stood around them. 

Starlight continued to cry despite the strangely comforting words of the Princess.  She knew this was all a dream...but it seemed all too real to be one.  As the Princess pointed towards a tree, she paused her sniffling and turned.  She was in awe of the Princess, amazed that Moon's Guardian would be so willing to speak about her past.  It felt nice to be trusted.  She nodded at the Princess' words, but the tears endlessly streamed down her face.  She was crying for so many things~  For the friends I had lost...For the insanity of my soul...For the trust I had betrayed...For the pain all had endured because of me...  

"So, Starlight Glimmer, will you choose to start anew, or live in the past?"

She stopped crying at the very direct address.  Something still lingered within her, telling her to hold back and to never let go of her power.  But it's all fake, isn't it?  My power and control was never really there... The feeling seemed to whisper taunts into her ear, trying her to give up all that she had so falsely accomplished with the reality of a true future.  She took a deep breath, and smiled.

"I'm ready to start a new journey, Princess...Thank you,"

She paused, before turned to face the Moon in the sky, "Thank you for giving me back my life.  Giving me hope.  Giving me a chance to reconcile with my past...thank you...for everything," 

Luna watched as Starlight Glimmer cried at the Princess's words. Perhaps the unicorn realized the full extent of what she did, but also that she could move on despite what happened. The Alicorn waited patiently as the pony dried her eyes and thought about what was said, waiting for Starlight's response. 

"I'm ready to start a new journey, Princess...Thank you,"

"I'm glad that you are ready to move on. Remember that while things might not get better quickly, they will get better. Towns weren't built in a day and neither are friendships." 

"Thank you for giving me back my life.  Giving me hope.  Giving me a chance to reconcile with my past...thank you...for everything," 

"You are welcome. Now, I believe that the best way to reconcile your past is to confront and apologize those that you have wronged. You will feel much better even if you apologize to just one pony. Are you willing to give this a try to these dream versions of your former townsfolk?" 

She took a deep breath, calming herself of her tears, "I am, Princess,"

There really were no more words needed to  be said.  It felt so good...and so calm to be able to face her fears.  She took a deep breath, and thought of all her past.  And I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything in the world.  They made me who I am today-and for that, I am truly grateful.  She looked at the burning town, the light of the mountains, the angry townsfolk, and she no longer felt regret or anger.  She wanted nothing more than to make amends, because her life was suddenly filled with hope.  She could continue on, she didn't have to fear her past, she had friends.  

Really Princess...thank you.

Luna smiled seeing that Starlight Glimmer was ready to move on and apologize to herself and others. Sometimes the nightmare that a pony faced wasn't complex. All it took was for her to address it and show there was another way. 

"Very well. I will unfreeze this dream, and then you may apologize to those here. Consider this practice for when you want to meet and apologize to those from your town. I will wait in the shadows case you need help." 

With that Luna flew up into the smoke filled skies and disappeared from view. Then the dream returned to normal, including the angry townsfolk that Starlight must now face. 

Starlight watched Princess Luna leave the dream, and she closed her eyes once more to sense her surroundings.  This is my chance to prove...whatever it is I'm trying to prove.  C'mon Starlight-you can do this~

The dream resumed itself, with the Townsfolk marching at her.  But it was different...something was different.  I'm not scared.  There was nothing to be afraid of.  She paused for a moment, letting her thoughts gather-then she spoke.

"I have made mistakes.  Many mistakes-in fact, somepony could say that my entire life has been full of them.  I've manipulated you, taken advantage of you, and made you worthless.  But that was not my intention.  For so long, I had wanted a place where I could be free from cutie marks.  A place where everypony would be equal and happy.  But as time changed, I realized that...so did my dream.  It was no longer about finding a place where I was equal-it was about finding, if not creating, a place where I could feel better than everypony else.  A place that gave me power.  For that...I am sorry,"

She paused, drawing in a hiccupy breath and looking downwards.  

"I am so, so sorry,"

And then it all faded away...

From the safety of her cloud form, Luna watched the events of the dream unfold. She wondered if Starlight was able to forgive others now that she forgave herself. But to her relief and joy, the Alicorn watched as Starlight forgave the dream form versions of the townsfolk. With a little smile Luna pulled away from the dream as it faded into the existence of Starlight's mind. 

"Thank you, Starlight," she thought, "for reminding me to forgive myself and others." 

(OOC) The End. Thanks for the fun!

Archived