[Age of Heroes] Disaster at the Docks (Finished)

Mutt

Bahamut listens quietly, letting Mutt get it all out, nodding softly with a sigh before speaking again. "Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That's neither here nor there is it? We've all done things that we regret, all made bad choices, even made choices that seemed good at the time that...didn't turn out how we expected it." both the dragon and Rosetta sigh a bit before he continues. "But bad choices of the past are in the past. There's not a thing you can do to change that. You play with the cards you're dealt and keep on moving." Bahamut gives the poor dog a pat on the shoulder. "You know why you're still here, Mutt? You're special. And I'm not meaning that in your typical cheesy comic book story 'Everyone is special!' sort of way. To put it plainly, you shouldn't have been able to survive that, nor have shot up like a loaded spring into the sky."

Rosetta nods in agreement. "Exactly. You're not a normal diamond dog. Kinda like me...okay maybe bad example, I'm sort of a special case but that's a story for another time. What we mean is, you obviously have a gift of some sort. Which is great! You've just gotta take the time to figure out what you can do, and how you can use it for the greater good! You're here, you've got another chance, make it a good one right?" the magic corgi gave a little thumbs up.

There's a dull whine as Mutt listens to the spiels and wraps his arms over his head. He doesn't necessarily want to be 'special'. Have a 'gift'. It's so much pressure. Especially if it comes with this weird brain. It's kind of cool though but- oh god what if he's dangerous. What if everything that happened at the docks... "I do have to figure out what's wrong with me... Make sure that what happened really wasn't my fault." if he's not a normal dog, he must eliminate the possibility that powers he may have could have caused that whole mess. He's very practical. He stares at Rosetta blankly, completely and utterly unfamiliar with her expression. Then suddenly food, which distracts him from panicking or feeling sorry for himself. Mutt sniffs at incoming salty smells and quirks his head, planting his chin on the table as he watches food approach. Staaaaaaare.

Rosetta rubbed her chin in thought. Which probably looked strange given that she was basically a construct made of magic and thaumite plates. "Hmm. I may know someone who can help with that."

"He's retired from that though, isn't he?" Bahamut pointed out, arching a brow. Sure if anyone could help a worried hero with their training it'd be Stable Loop, but...

"I'm sure I can convince him somehow. He's my big brother after all!" she said, leaning back in her seat as she watched the food arrive. She bet it tasted amazing. It smelled great! At least she could still smell the stuff. The waitress smiled and sat down a bow in front of both Bahamut and Mutt. The chowder was clearly hot and fresh, but not so scalding that one would have to wait to eat it.

Mutt is no longer paying attention to the conversation around him, even if it seems like it's something that should be important. He is in fact, just kind of drooling as the waitress approaches, because fooood. The dog almost immediately has his snoot buried in the chowder immediately and is lap, lap, lapping at the contents of the bowl with complete disregard for any kind of manners. Considering that he looks like he came from an outcast colony and seems to have trouble with complex conversation this is not a wholly surprising behavior. It's still probably embarrassing to be seen with. It's probably also embarrassing for him on some level that he is not currently consciously aware of.

Rosetta and Bahamut glanced back and forth between each other and Mutt when he started staring at the food. Poor guy really mustn't have eaten in months! Especially with the way he practically inhaled the meal! Sure it was causing a little bit of a scene, but no one was about to say anything. Meanwhile, Bahamut enjoys his chowder at a much more reasonable pace while he and his partner discuss whoever it is they were talking about before...

Mutt finishes his chowder at an unreasonably fast pace, then then buries his snout halfway into the accompanying drink. Chowder.. so.. salty... Once he's finished with the meal he forces himself to flat his chin against the table and maintain. It takes every bit of effort he can muster to not go shoving his nose into Bahamut's space and steal his food. He instead forces himself to try to pay attention to details in the restaurant, and, eventually, the conversation. By the time he actually starts listening the dog has no idea what or who the discussion is about or what it pertains to. He's not even sure if it's the same thing they were talking about before. Mutt does gnaw on the bowl a little bit while listening. It's seriously like he's a puppy. He has no self-control.

The duo couldn't help but to laugh a bit at Mutt's eating habits. They knew he clearly needed the food, but it was just so silly. Regardless though of how silly it was, Bahamut was mindful enough to order Mutt a couple of more bowls after he had finished his...and refills on the drinks. "Well Rosetta, if you really think you can convince him, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Rosetta firmly nodded her head. "Then when we're able to leave Manehattan, I'll try to find him. Or he'll probably find me or something. You know how he does." she said while fiddling around with one of the straws. "How you liking your meals, Mutt?"

Mutt pretty much eats anything that's put in front him, though by the third bowl he finally has the presence of mind to not bury his face in it.. and lift the bowl to drain it instead, which makes it go even faster. Drinking chowder. What a weirdo. there's a pause when he's asked a question, and he eyes Rosetta,.. but finishes the bowl before putting it down, like someone's gonna take it from him. "Uhhhhm. Yes? Never had this kind of soup..." he replies, one ear swiveling. He's a bit oblivious to the fact that these plans being discussed are definitely related to him. After several seconds of looking back and forth between the two, the cogs in his head sync up. "Thankyou." therrrre it is. They bought him food so he should be grateful.

Rosetta smiles, which again is hard to tell, but her happy tone says more than she's able to show. He did have manners! "You're welcome! Pretty good stuff isn't it? It's Manehattan Clam Chowder. I had some once a good while ago in Canterlot, but I bet the stuff straight from the source tastes better." she said while reaching into something and pulling out enough bits to pay off the bill. Bahamut had just finished off his second bowl having skipped breakfast that morning.

"Ahhh, that really hit the spot!" the dragon gave his belly a pat and sighed contently. "Now, I don't know about you two, but I'm ready to get to the hotel and get a nice hot bath in. Shall we?"

Mutt is taken aback at the idea of suddenly having access to hot water. Wow, yeah. He hasn't had a bath in months. "... Yes. Very much yes." Mutt scratches at an ear gently. Just itchy. He's pretty much free of parasites in perpetuity. No fleas for this dog. "Would very much like to be able to relax. It is hard to relax in the streets. Mostly at night. Lots of not nice things. Manehattan is different at night. Let's definitely go soon." he's honestly a bit taken aback at how different the individuals are at night here in the city. Very little crime seems to happen in the day, comparatively. There's also WAY more of it than there is in Canterlot. Maybe that's why everyone is so much less... accomodating. "That food was good." and there goes his train of thought. He stretches a bit and prepares to follow or possibly be carted off again.

With the meal ate, the check paid, and the plan set, Bahamut and Rosetta both hopped up from their seats. Well Rosetta floated up, which was almost the same thing. "Don't worry about the lock in treatment by the way. We'll stick with the cuff. It was just partialy to keep the officers feeling safe, and a test to see how you'd act." Rose said with a smile as she lead Mutt outside. The energy link between the cuff and Rosetta had about a foot and a half of space, which was a lot more wiggle room than being surrounded by her.

The stroll to the hotel was mostly uneventful. A few ponies here and there stopped the two of them for an autograph, which they happily signed. It made them feel good that some still remembered them. The hotel, much like the bistro they had left, wasn't the fanciest in the world, but certainly nice enough. The trio's arrival drew a few odd glances and a couple murmurs, but Bahamut was able to pay for a room and get everyone there without hassle.

Clean and cozy are words that could describe the room, a queen bed, a radio, dresser, mini-ice box, and a bathroom. It wasn't a penthouse suite but by golly was it a welcome sight. Once within the safety of the room, Rosetta locked up the door and let the cuff loose from around Mutt's wrist before piling the plates over in a corner. This would give Mutt his first look at her actual form! Well, actual form that was left anyway. "Alrighty, you get first dibs on a bath since I think between you and Bahamut here, you'll need it more." she said taking a seat on the plate pile.

"I can wait, no problem at all. I'm sure it's been some time since you've had the chance, so take all the time you need."

Mutt is extremely grateful that he's not being crated again, it feels so much better in all respects. He does however find himself growing increasingly self-conscious as socialization occurs and he continues to meet people while shackled to Rosetta. Many of whom seem to be quite happy to see those two. By the time they finally arrive at the hotel his ears are pinned and his tail is tucked. He feels like a bad dog and it's not a good feeling... But the feeling starts to fade once the shackle is removed, and he is glad of it, for his mind was starting to wander back to bad times.

The pup rubs his wrist and pauses for a little bit to look about the room and listening intently.. A bath huh? Yeah it's been a long time since he's had one. He briefly stares at the blue, presumably doggy person but it's kind of hard to make out the details in a mass of energy. Especially when you're dealing with a reduced range of color perception. Which is something that's depressing him. It would make it very difficult to fly. Blue helps though. At least it's blue. "Yeah.. uhm... bath... probably. It's been a long time. Thanks. It's nice to have a roof. this place is nice." he's torn, on the one hand, this is way nicer than how he's been living for the past.. oh, a while. On the other, he still remembers what it's like to live in Canterlot, so it's hard to get really excited about it.

Mutt is quick to make his way to facilities and get a shower going, a hot one, because it's pretty obvious to him that a bath is just not going to cut it. Honestly, it'd just end up being kind of a grunge-water. Mutt hops his way into the shower and shudders violently under the pouring heat. It feels like the tension he's been keeping in his muscles is just bleeding away. This is probably the most luxurious feeling he's felt in ages and he decides to take his time makes the shower a long one. Not that he really has a choice, he's filthy. An hour in the shower, using up probably the entirety of provided soaps, and finally starting to look, well, fluffy instead of a mangy, deranged mess. Even his collar is clean! and new.. well, except for the tag, which is very definitely tarnished and actually slightly scratched and a tad bent as well from the incident on the dock.

Mutt is still bothered that he still can't get the blasted thing off no matter how hard he tries.. and he drifts off into his own head again, consumed by thought. He's so distracted that as he turns off the water and gets out, he doesn't shake himself free of water like his instincts encourage him to do, nor does he notice that his paw snakes its way all the way across the room to pluck the towel from the rack. The dog stretches his back a bit, working the kinks out and opens the door, plodding back into the hotel room and waving, about one and a quarter times his previous height while the drippy mutt dries himself off and scrubs his headfluff with arms devoid of defined knuckles, elbows, or even shoulders. His arms and fingers have turned into fluffy curves that seem to adjust their length upon demand, and the dog does not really seem to have noticed. Wearing a stupid, satisfied grin. "Cleaannnn."

Both Bahamut and Rosetta were full well expecting a long shower. The both of them milled about playing cards and listening to the radio. It wasn't as though there was much else to do for the time being. Eventually, after a game of poker and gin, the two are met with the sound of an opening bathroom door at long last!

When the steam cleared and Mutt stepped his way out of the bathroom, the two just staaaarred for a long moment before turning to look each at each other and then staaaaaaare again. Given it wasn't their first time seeing a 'stretchy' hero. It was more a stare of realization than one of confusion. "Well! It seems we've solved the mystery of what sort of power you've got." Bahamut said with a laugh as Rosetta floated over to get a better look. "I'll say...I wonder if that's all there is to him or not!"

Mutt peeks out from under the towel and looks back and forth between the two in confusion in response to the laughter. He is very confused! "All there to who what now? Mystery of me?" the confusion shows. He's not very articulate. He doesn't seem to really notice just how different he is than when he went into the shower. The dog takes a step back from the floating energy doggit and notices that he moves much further than his stride has been allowing for the past few months, prompting him to look down. This results in a brief yelp! and a bit of a flail, throwing his towel into the air and a stare... "Wut?" then, after a few seconds, a shrug, and he calms down real quick.

There's a few seconds of the dog kicking and shaking his limbs, before his body recoils back into it's proper shape, kind of like a tape measure retracting. "Well... okay then. That's a thing." is his response, succinct. The dog immediately focuses on his body and tries to figure out how it works, but finds himself concentrating very hard, brow furrowed, and getting nowhere. Then he huffs, wanders over and flops on the bed, still dripping but relaxed because at least this explains how he didn't squish. He did! The dog doesn't really seem to be terribly disturbed by this turn of events.

"Oh don't get excited or nothing." Rosetta said rolling her eyes a bit. She floated around a bit and shook her head. "Not like most folks get excited or eager once they found out they can do something cool or unique. Nah. they just shrug it off." Rosetta laughed a little before 'flopping' on the bed as well with no effect.

"Well I'm certain that he has a number of other things on his mind besides being, well, rubbery." Bahamut said with a shrug, grabbing up the tossed towel and putting it in the hamper nearby before wandering off to get a quick (and probably cold) shower.

Mutt huffs. "Well it's not like it's the weirdest thing that has happened to me! Sorrrry for being just a little desensitized to my body being weird." he blows a raspberry at the energy dawg and drums his fingers together. "B'sides, there's no way of telling how positive a thing this will be right now, right? Worst case, I end up in a special, high-security jail for people with special abilities instead of a normal, less restrictive one..." the dog grabs his tail, which is actually a bit longer than it is on most dogs and may or may not be considered kind of cute. He fiddles with it in his paws. "S'not like I even know how to do anything with it or what it's good for, other than not being murdered by extreme force apparently. So, like, uhm. Right now I'm a living punching bag. Yay me?" yeah he's really thinking about this. Downer pup! He settles in and stares at Bahamut as he wanders off to the shower. It's a hotel! there's probably still hot water for the dragon.. but, even so it's probably not hot enough for a creature that swims in magma.

Rosetta returned the raspberry and giggled. "Now don't get all sassy. No one's said you're going to jail yet even. I'm sure there may be some kind of punishment. But spending time with you today has shown you're certainly not a bad dog." she said with an affirmative nod. "Well I know someone who can help with that. If he can stop being a grump butt for a little while. I'm sure I can convince him. Or maybe I already have, you never know with 'time' heroes." the dog relaxed, hovering just an inch or two above the bed. She'd just go through it anyway. Every now and then glancing over at that collar that Mutt wore...something about it was...bothersome.

Mutt lays back. "M'not sassy... if anything I'm snarky... If I get charged this is my second offense. The first thing they did when I got here is put me in a cell overnight cuz I was 'scaring people'. Also I ate a melon. Well, y'know, sorry for having clawed my way out of a filthy hole and not having eaten for..." he yawns, "days. Still don't have any money to pay that vendor... Help what? This looks pretty cut and dry to me. Is stretchy." the dog huffs gently and rests a paw over his front, and then is out like a light. He has had a very long day and now that he has achieved some relative peace he has completely lost his ability to remain conscious. Passed out on his back, with his legs and one hand dangling over the edge of the bed. He's not waking up for a while.

"See? Right there! Sassing me right back." Rosetta said with a little smile. "I don't think Manehatten gets many diamond dogs. Maybe they're just used to old sterotypes and rumours." the dog shrugs and sits up. "It's never so cut and dry! You could learn to do a lot of things with stretchy like..." the list didn't even get to start as Mutt started snoring. Rosetta just simply smiled and manipulated some of the plates from the stack to pull the cover over the the KO'd rubberdog and get him into bed right. "I'll explain more another time..."

• 2 weeks later...

It has been an exceptionally busy few days in Manehattan. At least, for Mutt. Doubtless Bahamut and Rosetta are more used to greater levels of activity and urgency in their days. The first day was mostly restful, obviously... Although Mutt did not get as much sleep as he would have liked. He ended up waking up in the middle of the night and staying up while Rosetta played exposition fairy for him. Conversation and shenanigans were had, and Mutt sort of began to understand the two as something other than imposing figures currently cuffing him to their person. Which is great, because the very next day a hearing was heard on the events of the day prior and his time in the city and the dog was found guilty of more than a few misdemeanors. Following this ruling, Mutt was levied with an unreasonable number of fines he could not possibly be expected to pay seeing as he is homeless and unemployed, also sentenced to three months of probation... In the custody of the two individuals who have actually been remarkably understanding, and (hopefully unintentionally), awakening Mutt's pack instincts and encouraging his loyalty.

After the court date there was time out on the town where the group attempted to relax in a park and learn about the limits and uses of Mutt's powers. They learned many things. Mutt can extend to seven times in a dimension. That he currently has very little control over how far he stretches and how sharply he recoils. On a related note, they all learned that he is incredibly resistant to blunt force trauma. They learned that, for some reason, he can't get dizzy. They also learned that Bahamut is never allowed to spin Mutt like a top within city limits again because apparently a deforming shape can cause a continuous sonic boom if it is moving fast enough. It can also apparently fly, and after the shenanigans which could have resulted in significant property damage, it was decided it would be best to check up on the investigations at the dock.

The investigations went rather well, and Rosetta determined (Mostly on her own and with some minor input from Mutt), that the events at the docks were definitely not an accident. Cables generally don't fail catastrophically. Weather ponies don't generally make mistakes with fog thickness. Fire brigades for the same district don't generally have trouble mobilizing on the same day a giant fire breaks out, nor do well maintained equipment often suddenly fail and create a mess to begin with. The shipment that happened to be unloaded at the time of the accident was probably the most valuable of the day, containing not just food and general sundries but also valuable trade materials like gems, silks, and metals; as well as important documents from neighboring locales and possibly places overseas bound for Canterlot. Rosetta acquired a manifest so she could go over the contents of the shipments for that day and attempt to isolate motive from studying the lost items.

The day ended with a race from the docks between Mutt and Bahamut, one which, in fairness, Mutt had no chance of winning. The entire incident was wholly irresponsible on the part of both of them as it is entirely possible Mutt could have caused yet another incident barreling through the city at springy speeds, but thankfully for all involved, and the city, no harm was done and there probably WON'T be another hearing as long as they leave the city today. Which, it seems, Bahamut and Rosetta have every intention of doing.

All and all the venture into Manehattan was more exciting and productive than anticipated. Bahamut and Rosetta not only got to stretch their hero muscles, but managed to make a new friend along the way. But things weren't over, no sirree. With what little they brought with them packed up, the due-now-trio sat out for Canterlot. Though Rosetta along the way split off...She had someone she needed to see. If she could find him that is...

To Be Continued...

• Mutt changed the title to [Age of Heroes] Disaster at the Docks (Finished)

Archived