One goal, different reasons

Valoren glanced up high into the skies as he wiped sweat outta his mane. He had been by himself now for about a week out here in Raptorclaw Canyon. The sun beat down unforgivingly as he shrugged. He could fly true, but that would make it way too easy!! Heck, he'd consider it cheatin to fly all the way to his goal without exepering any trials that would make him stronger!! He was searchin for somethin called the Dream Valiant Blade or DBV. Weapons were mostly discouraged in Equestria but nessecary by some standards. Due to a desire of wanting to get stronger, and be ready for any threat that would come to Equestria so he could protect it, he sought out this blade. He had found out about it from a traveling merchant back in Canterlot, and had heard that it was beyond the Canyon and was guarded by many traps!! He needed that weapon amonst the treasures it laid around and he was going to get it!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lady Luck gave a long, heavy sigh as she trotted slowly through the canyon. It had been good to return home to Rockwington, but she was never a pony to stay in one place very long. The urge to return to the road and find new targets to exploit for bits had returned to her. As it was, she was planning to make the trek down into the desert. Perhaps she'd hit up Appleoosa again. There were always new faces popping up in that dusty little town. It was worth it as long as she could avoid the lawponies who had placed the price on her head.

Lady pondered such thoughts as she continued on her way, finding nothing out of the ordinary. It was only after climbing past some familiar rocks that her eyes came to rest on something peculiar. She adjusted her hat as she stepped forward to investigate, full of curiosity. A deep smirk appeared on her mouth as she took in the scene.

There, just in the distance, against the desolate landscape, was a single pony. Something about him told Lady immediately he wasn't from around here. The biggest flag was that he was a pegasus. Pegasi were rare in the west, so far away from Cloudsdale and Canterlot. Beyond that, he just didn't look like the sort of pony used to life out here in these rugged lands. Lady was positive this was a pony from back east, and often times that meant money. She gave a devious laugh as bits appeared in her eyes.

Eagerly, she stepped through the rocky terrain toward the lone pony, approaching him.

"Howdy there, handsome," she said in a warm voice, flashing a big smile. "You don't look like you're from around here. Any chance you're needin' a helping hoof findin' your way through this here canyon?"

Valoren sighed, as he looked up once more at the beating sun, half wishing he had brought a hat. He had passed out west here a few times, but never on foot really. Then again, he wasnt testing himself really so i guess that it didnt relaly count. STill, he couldnt help but wonder how the ponies out here were able to shake off such affects of the heat. From being used to it perhaps? Sighing, he smirked "Hmm..I need more information".

He needed to know about that sword, and any info would help. He froze as he saw somepont approahed. Pink fur, white mane with a cowboy hat and speakin in a western twang, he smiled lighty as he blushed. It was a natural reaction he usually had around mares he found attractive, but decided against flirting since he had to remain profesional in his duty. No need to make her upset or nothing.

Pleased at the compliment, he responded "Heya. Yeah, Im not from around here. I could just fly out of this canyon if I wanted to but wheres the challenge in that realy? It would make things to easy. But yeah, some help would be nice Mam".

[[a small note, but her mane is supposed to be pale blue rather than white]]

Lady smirked. The obvious signs told her this stallion was buying into her. This could make things easy for her.

"Flyin' really ain't such a great idea out here anyway," said Lady, still smiling. "Griffins own the skies over the canyon, and some of them don't take too kindly to us ponyfolk."

Lady gave a short laugh and took another couple steps toward the young stallion. "But enough about all that. What brings a handsome young stallion like you to this barren old stretch of Equestria? Where ya headed?"

(Kay!! Thank ;) )

Valoren smiled lightly "Well, Im looking for somethign umm...special. Its umm...well, I was told it would it be somewhere out here in the West relaly by a merchant back in Canterlot".

Smiling he blushed "Heh heh, well thats good to know. I usually like to avoid fights even though I love em". Looking at her, he siad "Yah maybe you cna help me get to the nearst town"?

Lady gave a small giggle as she though. As it were, they were at the very eastern most edge of the canyon, about halfway between Rockwington and Appleloosa. It was a toss up which was truly closer at the moment.

"Sure, I'd be happy to help ya along," said Lady, cheerfully. She stepped even closer to the other pony.

"So what is this 'special' thing?" she asked curiously, tilting her head to the side. "It supposed to be in the canyon, or out of it?"

Grining, he said "Wow!! Thanks!! Id really appe5rciate that". This was good since he was in the middle of nowhere in his opinon with no way to get out!!

Smiling weakly, he siad "Err, lets just say its something thats going ot be a err..big help to me in the future, and it'll help me be more..efficient at my position".

"It ain't no trouble," Lady said, putting on a kind smile. "I'm always one to help a pony out."

The pony hadn't answered her question, so Lady supposed she didn't completely have his trust yet. No problem. She just needed to try a little harder.

"The name's Lady Luck, by the way," Lady added, throwing her head back a little. "But you're more than welcome to call me Lady."

"Protector of Equestria?" Those words stuck out to Lady at once. How cute. She had to wonder if he actually fancied himself as some kind of protector or if he was just deluded. Either way, Lady's first impressions of this Valoren Seeker were not very high. She was beginning to wonder if he even had any money at all.

"Valoren Seeker, now ain't that a cute name." Lady said, still keeping her smile up. "So is being the Protector of Equestria as prestigious a job as it sounds?" Lady added, trying to keep herself from sounding too cynical.

Val blushed as he walked alongside her. "Well, It wasnt really a title I choose. It was given to me by Celestia I guess. She said Im suposed to be ready at all time to protect Equestrai from any sort of evil so Im just realy doin my job. Plus, its fun!! Err, I know it sounds kinda arrogant my title but heh heh, arrogance is probaly my least developed trait". Smiling, he said "I guess it does sound kinda pretigious huh"?

Celestia? She was supposed to believe this random pony knew the Princess? Yeah, right... Now Lady knew this pony was deluded. She was seriously beginning to doubt this was worth her time. She thought about bolting in the opposite direction, but the terrain made that ill advised. She had lived in the canyon long enough to know it was always best to watch your step.

"I see," said Lady, forcing her smile. "Sounds just great..."

Lady sighed, she supposed she'd just go along with until she could ditch the pony and be on her way.

"So, where you trying to get then? Out of the canyon, or deeper in?" Lady asked, trying once more to determine the destination.

"Weeelll, out of it I guess" Valoren smiled as he cocked his haed. "I need to get to a town so I can determin where to go next on my map since thiers some clues laid out". As he said this, he couldnt help but notice a slight shift in he rpersonality. His intstints were telling him somehting was up and that he should be careful but he ignored it for now. Smiling happily, he remarked "Its good to have company out here".

A map, huh? Was this deluded pony on some kind of treasure hunt? Lady found her interest piqued, if only just a little.

"In that case, I can lead you to Appleloosa. It's a fair stretch of desert once we climb out of this canyon though," said Lady, giving a low nod. "But I was already headin' down that way... so I don't mind leadin' you along."

Nodding in excitment, he siad "Awesome!! Its good to travel with ya". He commented that last part good naturally as he thought "Shes very beautiful, but best keep this professional". He had to remind himself of htat constantly in order to keep himself from jumping into anything he'd regret. Looking at her curiously, he asked "What about you? What do you do for a profession" he asked.

Lady smirked a little. How to phrase it that wouldn't arouse suspicions? Some ponies were even put off by the gambling part.

"You could say I'm a seeker of good fortune," said Lady in a low voice. "I travel these badlands looking for opportunities to test my luck and turn a profit."

Lady shook her head. "Not exactly the most glamorous job, I know, but a lady needs to make a living somehow, and all I've really got going for me is a little advanced luck."

What a trusting pony... Lady almost had to shake her head. He sure seemed to be easy picking. Lady just still wasn't sure if he was worth anything.

"Well, perhaps," said Lady flashing a smile. "But i ain't rightly settin' off blind. You're going to have to tell me just what it is your after if you want me to come along for this ride."

Valoren put a hoof to his mouth, before grinning. "Sure why not" he smiled. After all if they were gonna be partners, he had to be straight with her and how could she trust him if he iddnt tell him the goal. Nodding, he looked up into the skies with an almost starstruck look, no doubt spellbounded by the idea of getting his hoofs on the treasure. "Im after something called the Dream Valley Blade. Its supposdly a sword from before Equestria had been known as Equestrai, back when it had simply been called Ponyland. Its supposed to be extremtly powerful, and against any upcoming threat to Equestria; I need it in order to be ready to defend Eqeustria. Thiers a whole bunch of other treaures as well such as diamons, crystals, jewels, rubies and the like as well".

Lady had to try awful hard to keep her poker face at the mention of such treasure. Gems weren't super rare in Equestria, but enough of them would certainly add up. She wasn't entirely sure how much to buy into the other pony's story. It did seem a little bit much to her, and she still wasn't entirely sure this pony wasn't just some deluded fool. But... if there was really some sort of ancient sword around these parts created before Equestria was established by the princesses, it would have to sell for a small fortune. She knew for a fact that the Griffins appreciated weapons. If she were to sell it to them, she wouldn't need to worry about filling her saddlebag with bits for a very, very long time.

She stepped forward and smirked. She tilted her head to the side. She'd entertain this little journey, she supposed. For now. Sure, this Valoren seeker could just be blowing hot air, but on the off chance he wasn't, Lady stood to make quite the profit if she managed to snatch his mark away from him.

"Well, alright then! Sounds like a real adventure, partner," Lady said, smiling and nodding. "I'm in!"

Val nodded, as he grinned "Great"!! This was gonna be alot of fun!! He had to admit he didnt expect her to say yes so quickly. Then again, he figured that she would be in this adventure for another motive perhaps. Althought his demenor was mainly cheerful, and kind; he had learned from experince on how to know when someone would be decieving him and he was getting an odd vibe from her. However, he wasnt gonna go off bat and say she was untrustworthy. Who knew, she might change her tone by the end of thier advenuture, and if not...well then he'd simply have to do what needed to be done. Nodding, he siad "Great!! Now, we need to get to town so I can figure out this map abit more".

"Alright, in that case, follow me," said Lady, stepping through some rocks. "There's a mountain pass not far from here that will take us out of the canyon and into the desert."

Lady gave a nod as she stared up at the sky. "It'll take about half a day in all if we're quick about it and don't make many stops."

The two had traveled together for a most of the day, an occasionl duststorm picking up and causing minor inconviences for the two, but it was nothing that they couldnht handle. As they contiued to walk, Val froze as he heard rocks crumbling lightly, as they hit the cancyon floor. It sounded like hooves sneaking around lihgtly as he whisepred "Hear that"?

Lady just gave a simple nod as she looked at the other. They had been traveling for a long while now relatively undisturbed. But now Lady was positive she heard something. Were they being followed?

"Stay quiet," Lady whispered to the other pony. "Don't let them know we're onto them...."

Val blinked as he glanced up idealy, seeing silohutes of other ponies moving quickly at high speed. They were encirling them to make sure that they wouldnt be able to run!! Whoever these guys were, they were good; Val had to admit that. Sighing, he looked down as he thought to himself "Get ready..their about to jump us".;