My wife watches the series

Kirby Krackle

A word from the wife before we continue with our regularly scheduled program:

My analysis of Celestia is not just my initial reaction to her being all-powerful. It is putting together all of the evidence and coming to the conclusion that she did not have to send her sister to the @#$%ing moon but chose to do so anyway. Celestia's first response should not have been to banish. She should have been the one to cure her.

Episode 5

• We're right out of the gate here with "How does a horse wear scuba gear?" My answer is "It's Pinkie Pie".
  • "Why did the position of the cloud matter? All of that to make thunder!"
  • "How does pony hold pallet?"
  • I admit this to you all. I troll my cats a little. I play rough with belly rubs and putting socks on them and such, but I still give them love and treats at the end of the day. I will not do this with my eldest cat, who is really sensitive to BS and sometimes runs from me regardless. He has amnesty, if you will. Wife compared this to the Pinkie Pie comment on Fluttershy.
  • Okay, I admit, this is an astounding attention to detail. But notice RD's little mark on her left eye. Next scene, in the reflection in the lake, it's on the right side of the screen, meaning the right eye. She notices these little borks with movies too. Please note that I have trouble using the words right and left, so this comment was a ***** to type.
  • Wife would like to point out her first time seeing genuine mean-spirited bullying.
  • Wife would also like to point how how okay background ponies were with a Griffin. She is, by the way, aware of Zecora, whom everyone flips their racist little lids over.
  • "Why is the daddy duck with the babies?". That's not even an animation error. That's someone failing biology class.
  • I just saw a facepalm. Where I had to pat her on the shoulders and assure that yes, Pinkie Pie's answer to everything is a party.
  • Two things: The first is that it's good writing to convince wife that Pinkie Pie set it all up to be a vindictive *****. Secondly, Now Pinkie Pie's answer to everything makes more sense. It kinda grosses her out.

• 4 months later...

Back by popular demand! Well, not really. Just Beat Match. Here's episode 6.

• Horses don't have facial hair, she says. John Goodman pony and Starswirl the Bearded, I say.
  • We had a brief discussion about the nature of Twilight's magic and how "25" seemed like a small number. I assumed "trick" to Spike means "school of magic" to the learned.
  • Alicorn discussion. Celestia's immortality. What an Alicorn actually is. There's also a great bit of confusion as to Princess Luna for some reason. Her dramatic change in appearance from season 1 to 2, how Celestia looked those thousand years ago, yada yada yada. She's asking questions only Lauren Faust can answer and I can't keep up!
  • "Snips and Snails. WHAT are their talents?" My answer was barbering and french cooking respectively. She's getting awfully upset about the railroading of names and cutie marks. Wow.
  • The Great and Powerful Trixie. Here we go. "She's pretty". "Huh. Boasting. Rarity". "How is she holding a wand?" Now, while Celestia doesn't count as "Unicorn", she does count as "Equine", and semantics can only get you so far. Twixie claims to undo the mother goddess.
  • A brief question about eye color. She was pleased to see males (Big Mac and Braeburn) with eye color, and not just solid black, as in Snips and Snails.
  • Ha. The door. "Not only does she put a door in the middle of the room, but Spike walks through it". This leads to the question "Do their doors have knobs?".
  • The Ursa Minor is cool. Officially. Wife said so.
  • Here's a thing: A door with a moon on it means it's an outhouse. Was Trixie going #2 at the time of her... put-up or shut-up moment? She then sees it's just Trixie's wagon.
  • "Where's Fluttershy when we need her?" She noticed the lack of lines from her, and Pinkie Pie.
  • Ursa Major is cool too.
  • And finally, "How do they know what a Fu Man Chu is?"

I am really enjoying this thread. If your wife really reviled the series, I doubt she'd keep watching it.Thanks for keeping track of all the reaction comments, it's fun to watch the infection process spread. Just be sure to assure your wife that she is much cooler than My Little Pony. I'd want my husband to tell me that. I think pegasister fits well for the older female demographic, though I wouldn't mind being called a brony since the term has sort of evolved into a catch-all term for people that enjoy the series outside the target audience.

Finally, please show your wife this following image. Thanks!

PWdsM.jpg

This is an awesome thread. I admit to thinking, but writing off many of the same questions your wife has. I write them off because... well... Magical Ponies. Seriously logic does not exist... Everfree forest = unnatural for being self-sufficient. I try to not apply logic to this show... But it is still hilarious to read.

BTW, I honestly think that Princess Celestia plans a lot, but not to be mean spirited. She is Twilight's mentor. She probably designs a lot of the tasks to teach her. She isn't all knowing, but she knows more than she lets on, allowing Twilight to figure things out for herself and learn in the process.