My wife watches the series

Kirby Krackle

She's been really accepting of my "hobby" as of late. The worst I tend to get is a gentle sigh, roll of the eyes and a reminder of my Y chromosome. The saying goes however, that those who don't like the show haven't seen it yet. Sure, I showed her 'Feeling Pinkie Keen' once, but I could tell she wasn't into it. So I'm starting from the beginning. During episode 1, I got the following reactions, supplementing a decent bit of laughter here and there:

• "Maybe Celestia was just being a *****. Does any pony think of that? All Luna wanted was some appreciation,"
  • "Really?", in response to Apple Jack's large family.
  • "Big Mac must be busy", also in response to Apple Jack's large family. She noticed very few males.
  • "What was Granny Smith's name when she was younger?"
  • "I like the rasp in her voice", in response to Rainbow Dash.
  • "Pretty", referencing Rarity. She liked how Spike agrees with her.
  • "Is Spike doomed to only breed with ponies?" As we all know, he wouldn't complain.
  • "Why are all their tongues orange? It's really distracting."

"Is Spike doomed to only breed with ponies?" As we all know, he wouldn't complain

poor old doom rarity, win Spike hits his teens she needs to look out. Luna help her win he gets even bigger.

Sorry, for the random post! :smile: I just realized it after I posted it.

BTW, are girls who like MLP:FiM called Bronies? I came across the term "Pegisis'" or "Pegisister" a little while ago...I thought it was pretty good! So...Pegisis or Brony?

I think Brony is like the word dude... It's generally a masculine term, but it can be used in context to girls as well.

Episode 2.

Primary comments involved how formulaic it was. But hey, kids show. There was a bit of a sneer towards the end, as it suddenly became Magical-Girl-Captain-Planet. She also called bull**** on the drastic age difference between Celestia and Luna, who she thinks is pretty. More BS on the fact that their necklaces vanish. About half way through, I was asked if what we were watching at this moment is why I fell in love. I mentioned no, it's the slice-of-life series from episode 3 onward.

More importantly, she enjoyed how everyone knew instantly that Pinkie Pie bursting into song is not normal behavior.

She had some words on Rainbow Dash, though, as I asked her in the car ride home about the fandom's assumption that she bats for the other team. Wifey says no. The impression she gets from RD is a tough little cookie who's as good as any boy, so she acts out. She's career driven.

She also asked if Celestia is a princess, where's the king and queen?

I think Brony is like the word dude... It's generally a masculine term, but it can be used in context to girls as well.

Yeah, I think at first brony referred to guys who watched the show, then girls... then anyone outside of the expected age group. I have to admit though, 'pegasis' sounds pretty cool.

@KirbyKrackle: Congrats dude, sounds like she somewhat enjoys the show! At least she's willing to try it out, unlike the majority of people I know.

Episode 3.

She would like to point out first that if she was younger, she would probably question nothing. We got a good one right off the bat, with the theme song of all things. As we all know, it starts with "I used to wonder what friendship could be". She argues against that. "She did her best to avoid friendship!". She's got us there, guys. I would also like to point out, once the credits are done, she instantly figured out where things were going.

"Is this going to be about her friends fighting over the tickets?"

"Yep."

"Is this going to end with her giving them both to two other ponies?"

"Nope."

Clever girl.

Next question is how Rainbow Dash can nap on a tree branch.

Next comment is during the hoof wrassle. Hooves do not physically wrap as we would with hands, which is what we get animated.

Next question: Rarity designs clothing for a living, right? Why aren't they clothed all the time, then?

During the zip-cloud scene we all know about, she asked what Spike eats. I said minerals, specifically gemstones. Being clever, she asked if he raids Rarity's stores. My only good answer was skipping ahead to a scene in Dog and Pony Show, which illustrates their agreement perfectly. She also didn't like the title much. "It means something different for adults".

Rainbow Dash got the finger! She finds it in real bad taste that RD is thrilled while everyone else declines. Not even pretending.

Now that we're three episodes in, she would like to say that she is enjoying the show and that it's "not a waste of her time".

Episode 4, Applebuck Season

Off to a good start so far. I got the following.

• "How did Big Mac get hurt?" I explained that some fanart explained he's indebted to the mob.
  • "Why isn't AJ's HUGE family helping?" This will be explained as the episode rolls onward.
  • "Why does a horse own a dog?"
  • "How do they know what cowboys are and are they accustomed to being ridden?"
  • "Wow, horses get bags under their eyes."
  • There were several slaps to the forehead over Pinkie Pie's standard behavior.
  • "Why was Twilight offended that the Mayor, of all ponies, needed to say something."
  • Wow, she's getting offended over Twilight teleporting those ten feet, rather than walking.
  • Now this is a nice train of thought, here. "Aren't AJ and RD rivals?" Yes, but it's still friendly. No sniper rifles yet. "Since she noticed how tired she was, why couldn't she say 'AJ, take a nap. I'll find someone else to launch me into the air' or is she implying that AJ is fat?".
  • "How did AJ get to the top of the platform? No ladder! How do ponies climb?"
  • AJ getting hurt is getting laughs! Yay! RD becoming a guided projectile did too!
  • "How did RD actually crash into the balcony? She has wings."
  • Why was Twilight called for help during a mass food poisoning outbreak?
  • "She's going to have extensive brain damage by the time this is done."
  • More or less, sleep deprived or not, AJ should be the last pony called to wrangle prey animals.
  • Why didn't Twilight just go to Big Mac? "Hey, your little sister is trying to kill herself."
  • And wow. Wife just flipped out upon seeing Twilight just... magic three trees clean. Why the !@#$% couldn't she just knock AJ out with a brick and finish things herself? Just... wow. She's mad at this point.

This episode got the most reactions. We keep on chugging.

• "How did Big Mac get hurt?" I explained that some fanart explained he's indebted to the mob.

At the beginning of 'The Ticket Master' Applejack says:

I bet Big Macintosh I could get all these Golden Delicious in the barn by lunchtime. If I win, he's gonna walk down Stirrup Street in one of granny's girdles

Don't know if that's the actual reason, but it sounds like a good explanation to me.

Did your wife notice the 'Apocalypse Now' reference from Rose?

She's never seen Apocalypse Now.

Anyway, here's the highlight of a discussion we had before sleepytime:

Celestia is a *****. Not just a *****, but a mad tyrant on a quest for sole dominance over the realm, using her baby sister as a scapegoat. How did she come to this conclusion? Twilight was able to break the curse of Nightmare Moon using the EoH. So why couldn't Celestia have done the same, if this was truly just the darkness in her heart? Instead, just send her to the moon for a thousand years.